Author Topic: The State of Other Mecha Games  (Read 18289 times)

Charlie 6

• Captain
Re: The State of Other Mecha Games
« Reply #90 on: 07 April 2018, 06:48:22 »
There's a Pacific Rim game?
Yup, the Kickstarter ended a couple of days ago.  Geek and Sundry had a play through video the prior week.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2018, 18:22:41 by Charlie 6 »

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #91 on: 09 April 2018, 06:08:27 »
Wait. PacRim 2 was already out? Geez. I've been out of the loop.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #92 on: 23 April 2018, 11:23:40 »
is it my imagination or my ability to fail to remember correctly...
was there not a gundam figurine board game in japan and i think few copies may had made over stateside not in english mind you around 98 to 04?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #93 on: 24 April 2018, 01:06:46 »
Couldn't tell you about that, but I do remember a Gundam (Wing?) Card Game from about that time which I never picked up.

More recently, I saw a set of nearly 1/250 scale poseable models at a Barnes & Noble a year or two back. Wanted to pick up one or more, but they store couldn't get anymore in. They would have gone great with the BT and Robotech stuff I have.

If I had the funds, I'd draw up a couple Mecha-esque designs to commission IWM to build and sell.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #94 on: 09 August 2019, 16:04:58 »
I know this thread is pretty old, but it seems the best place for this.

There's a new Mecha TTRPG coming out from Massif Press called "Lancer". Looks pretty interesting. Lore wise it definitely feels different than a lot of other Sci-Fi out right now. Though the Mecha are more like ProtoMechs or the ones from Titanfall than BattleTech or Pacific Rim style.
Any way, the pre-release rules are available for free download.

https://massif-press.itch.io/

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #95 on: 10 August 2019, 10:10:04 »
 it's certainly Interesting. I'm not so crazy with some of the art they were showing on their Twitter feed. It's sort of all over the place. It's sort of kind of mix of making the next look like they're superheroes. Some of them look like Battl Armor than mechs.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #96 on: 13 August 2019, 11:42:32 »
Because I'm not comp painting at reapercon this year, I'll probably pay more attention to the CAV group...
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #97 on: 05 September 2019, 11:22:07 »
So went to Reapercon, CAV is going strong there, but I didn't play. Actually ended up mediating a lance on lance intro boxed set game (players was 3v3, Atlas, Zeus, Trebuchet, Spider (the most experienced player from each team ran the spider and trib each).

The CAV tourney was integrated into the con space this year instead of somewhere distant. They seemed to be doing well. There were still more CAVs in the paint contest than or BT, Warmahordes, entries. There was a large amount of 40k however.

I think what's keeping CAV down at this point is getting less exposure than us.
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #98 on: 06 September 2019, 10:35:06 »
True. I think BT has had a lot of exposure thanks to the video games.  CAV has neither that, novels, nor cartoon.  It could stand to use something of any one of those.

I know I'm not particularly fond of the lore, since it's their fantasy races in space with Bellar-jointed Mechs.  But, a novel of sorts, or a comic or cartoon, would go a long way to help that out, I imagine.

Even Heavy Gear got popular because of the PC games and cartoon, even if for a short while.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #99 on: 07 September 2019, 23:56:57 »
True. I think BT has had a lot of exposure thanks to the video games.  CAV has neither that, novels, nor cartoon.  It could stand to use something of any one of those.

I know I'm not particularly fond of the lore, since it's their fantasy races in space with Bellar-jointed Mechs.  But, a novel of sorts, or a comic or cartoon, would go a long way to help that out, I imagine.

Even Heavy Gear got popular because of the PC games and cartoon, even if for a short while.

Listening to some of the older Three Moves Ahead podcasts where they talk to wargame/boardgame designers and publishers, I'm always floored that they're able to break even with such low target sales numbers (See GMT, etc. presales thresholds for new games set at 250-500 presales to order a run of new games). Between that, and the high overhead of a physical product (manufacturing, packaging, storage, shipping).

I didn't find it surprising then that designers or small publishers (Legion Wargames is a one-man outfit) have separate day jobs - often in related fields like teaching history or in video games.

I mean, total sales numbers for a lot of those niche games are the size of an indie PC game's beta test group