Author Topic: Who is your favorite mercenary unit? Why?  (Read 39146 times)

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
Re: Who is your favorite mercenary unit? Why?
« Reply #90 on: 26 November 2018, 19:54:23 »
I have always liked Snord's Irregulars because they are full of collectors like me (coins and books, I'd fit right in). I also like the Gray Death Legion, since they were among the first novels I read. Wilson's Hussars are also interesting, just wish there was a little more to read about with them.

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #91 on: 26 November 2018, 22:34:15 »
 Maybe not the place for this but... Whatever happened to the Screaming Eagles? I know about the atrocity on New Canton during the 4th Succession War but they seem to have vanished once that conflict ended.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #92 on: 26 November 2018, 22:48:34 »
According to Sarna, they survived the Jihad and were last noted as being stationed on Kentwood to protect against possible aggression from the Outworld Alliance and Snow Ravens.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Jonathan Cyr

• Recruit
    • Baron Munchhausen's Home for Retired Adventurers
« Reply #93 on: 30 November 2018, 08:34:57 »
Camacho's Caballeros and Northwind Highlanders - for reasons already mentioned.

McCarron's Armored Cavalry - because I like the units that have fought for just about everyone and against just about everyone.

I'd probably throw in some scrapyard-worthy, destitute pirate units as well... I've always been enamored by the imagery of a battered Locust, limping across dessert badlands, on a hip actuator that has remained unfixed for over a hundred years.
"When I was 16, I drove a J-27 ordinance vehicle behind enemy lines, looking for units in need. We found units alright! Luckily they were just as low on ammo as our side." - SFC Oleg Berkovsky

"Don't let her size fool you. She can kick the balls off a bull in zero-G." - Capt. Rachel Emmons referring to Trini Bez.

My Name Was Taken

• Recruit
« Reply #94 on: 13 December 2018, 02:21:38 »
The Fighting Intellectuals.

Warship

• Sergeant
  • Once more into the fire
« Reply #95 on: 28 December 2018, 11:23:43 »
Black Thorns - small unit, never seemed to catch a break

Avanti's Angels - small unit, never seemed to catch a break

Grey Death Legion - just when they seemed to have things going correctly, TPTB axed them, hate that crap

Wolf's Dragoons - hybrid entity, took in orphans, hated their treatment by the writers, wanted to see a reunification of the full Clan Wolf with the Dragoons, Exiles, and Neo-Wolves (I only say Neo as Vlad (twit of twits) renamed the Jade Wolves a new Clan Wolf)

ELH - Never really read enough about them, other than their attempt to remain true to their Star League heritage, hated the absorption of their elements on Huntress

Camacho's Caballeros - the novels about this unit were intriguing in the way they kept growing their family.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2018, 11:45:31 by Warship »

TropicFox

• Recruit
« Reply #96 on: 27 January 2019, 08:00:13 »
12th Vegan Rangers. Played as a member of that unit since the Galtor Campaign book came out. I latched onto them from general coolness in the unit profile write up as well as the rulers of Verde sharing my family name.
A Ranger lives simply and honestly without delusions or manias.
A Ranger values loyalty, but does not follow others blindly.
A Ranger must serve people, and not corporations.
Above all, a Ranger must be free to follow his own destiny.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #97 on: 28 January 2019, 01:39:44 »
My picks

The Grey Death Legion:  Grayson Carlyle and his crew helped bring Battletech out of the 3025 stalemate it was in for so long.  They chose the wrong side in the FedCom Civil War and were destroyed for it.  The two scenario packs FASA produced were well done, and they defined the Battletech experience for so many years.  Grayson should have had a 5D Marauder instead of that silly Victor, but that's a minor quibble.

The Chaos Irregulars-These guys were fun to read the short stories on. The two groups that formed them were a great counterpoint of professionalism vs irregular planning. They had a good variety of mechs (Mongoose recon pilot for the win!), fought against an interesting bunch of foes, and were placed in interesting environments as challenges

The Fighting Urukhai and Hansen's Roughriders: These were two merc bands who took no guff from anyone. I admire Hansen's especially for its use of combined arms of heavy mechs and tanks.

Black Thorns-This was a good example of a small unit that got lucky, and then fell apart.  Rose's rage against the Clans and their makeup of 3050 Clan and IS units was a fun mix.

17th Recon Regiment: KATN forever!

Mcarron's Armored Calvalry:  Even though they became a House Unit, the Big MAC was the great example of a multi-regimental merc unit that planned well.  They didn't have Clan support, author plot armor, or Warships to help them become 5 regiments. Just good planning and investment in the unit, their own factories, and civilian legitimate enterprise to continue a non-merc based cash flow. 

Lastly, Avanti's Angels. They died in the Dark Ages, but their fight against the Word of Blake help start the bricks that tumbled to start the Jihad. Marcus' Caesar was a great mod using salvaged Clan tech. 

LRM74

• Recruit
« Reply #98 on: 09 March 2019, 13:10:09 »
I'm always going to be a Kell Hounds fan. Stackpole's writing was how I fell down this rabbit hole in the first place.

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #99 on: 12 March 2019, 23:32:16 »
The definitive merc organization circa 3025… ladies and gents, “the Pony Soldiers,” of the ELH. I bought the game before the novels, and the whole light against the darkness vibe just sat well with me. Plus, they worked for noble House Davion, holding the line against the vile House Liao and evil House Kurita. Wolf’s Dragoons you say. Let’s not forget, those nasty Wolf’s Dragoons just had to be up to no good… and ah-ha; they weren’t even real mercs and AND AND they were spies for Space Nazis! Knew it the whole time. Not at all happy with how ELH went out though, nope not at all.

Later once I read, “Decision at Thunder Rift,” I was GDL all the way. Oh, the feels. Grayson you have to save Lori! Hurry! It was safe to say I WAS the target demographic for that novel. Not at all happy with how GDL went out as well either, nope not at all.

Then Battleforce, and the Lone Wolves, because they were the most unique merc command at the time of their introduction, due to their composition and organization. Basically, how I envisioned large mercs outfits formed and operated circa 3025. But, they're dead too...

Finally, Hansen’s Roughriders, for longevity sake; I loved the cover art for the first Battleforce box. Plus, they’ve not been killed off.

ELH forever.
« Last Edit: 12 March 2019, 23:39:30 by Ogra_Chief »
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #100 on: 12 March 2019, 23:49:00 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 16:01:08 by Easy »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #101 on: 14 March 2019, 02:55:06 »
Zimmer's Zuaves

Because you got to fill out the losing side of a conflict with a name that sticks with you for years.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

HunterGratzner

• Corporal
« Reply #102 on: 27 March 2019, 22:25:06 »
Eridani Light Horse, Kell Hounds, Burr's Black Cobras, Able's Aces.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #103 on: 03 April 2019, 16:24:31 »
Eridani Light Horse, Kell Hounds, Burr's Black Cobras, Able's Aces.

dead, somewhere, dead, and nationalized?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: 03 April 2019, 18:46:59 »
I answered this earlier, and believe I forgot the Blackhearts. One seriously cool unit. I would loooooooove a story regrading their evolution overtime and what happened to their Nighthawk suites.

Similarly, I'd love to know the story of King's Wild Card's (A.K.A. the Amaris 2nd Mexican Legion) They went from a Regiment to Company escaping Terra and wound up serving in Magistrate space. I would love to hear good redemption story about them in service to the Magistrate.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #105 on: 04 April 2019, 00:40:22 »
Late arriving, but my three favs in order: Wolf's Dragoons (they were just cool),  Hansen's Roughriders (loved the unit crest from CityTech, and they stood up to the Black Widows), and the Illician Lancers (for their longevity in the BT universe and their Davion ties  ;) )
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #106 on: 06 April 2019, 18:05:52 »
Snord's irregulars! Expect mech pilotsand crazy collectors! :thumbsup:

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #107 on: 06 April 2019, 23:10:41 »
21st Centauri Lancers. Professional, honest, loyal.....and Lord help you if you screw them over or otherwise mistreat them while they're in your employ.

I'm also pretty fond of the Grave Walkers, Hansen's Roughriders, and the Stealthy Tigers.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #108 on: 08 April 2019, 14:54:30 »
Mobile Fire... vehicular mayhem...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #109 on: 25 April 2019, 22:10:44 »
Hansen's Roughriders... mostly because of MechWarrior 2...  :D

Honestly, I'm a fan of Snord's Irregulars. Wonky mercs who love to loot collectibles. The Lone Wolves are also pretty neat.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #110 on: 19 May 2019, 13:25:27 »
Wilson's Hussars as they are loveable losers.

So much this.

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
« Reply #111 on: 20 May 2019, 02:11:59 »
My favorite mercenary unit is my mercenary unit: the 7th Striker Regiment (Sinclair's Strikers)....that's actually company size.  :D

Canonized mercenary units that intrigue me are the Blackstone Highlanders, the 1st Shin Legion, and the Harloc Raiders.
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #112 on: 20 May 2019, 02:37:13 »
I have always liked Snord's Irregulars because they are full of collectors like me (coins and books, I'd fit right in). I also like the Gray Death Legion, since they were among the first novels I read. Wilson's Hussars are also interesting, just wish there was a little more to read about with them.

I have to agree that I kind of liked Snord's Irregulars, however I felt that there should have been some fallout when they screwed over their bosses. What I am talking about here is when the FC was negotiating with Wolf Dragoons and the Dragoons asked for Outreach as part of the deal. The FC send the Irregulars to make sure that there was nothing of major value on the planet. But not only did they not due the job that they were supposed to do, they lied to their boss and sold them out by giving a false report to the FC and the real report to the Dragoons. Now I understand they why, but the fact that nothing was ever done to them for that, not even a stain on their reputations. As they were a very good unit I can understand to some level not fringing them outright, and even keeping them on the payroll, but at the very least they should not have been trusted as much and their reputation should have taken a hit.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #113 on: 20 May 2019, 15:22:15 »
I have to agree that I kind of liked Snord's Irregulars, however I felt that there should have been some fallout when they screwed over their bosses. What I am talking about here is when the FC was negotiating with Wolf Dragoons and the Dragoons asked for Outreach as part of the deal. The FC send the Irregulars to make sure that there was nothing of major value on the planet. But not only did they not due the job that they were supposed to do, they lied to their boss and sold them out by giving a false report to the FC and the real report to the Dragoons. Now I understand they why, but the fact that nothing was ever done to them for that, not even a stain on their reputations. As they were a very good unit I can understand to some level not fringing them outright, and even keeping them on the payroll, but at the very least they should not have been trusted as much and their reputation should have taken a hit.

Agree on that - otherwise it's your bad, when you send mercs to do such a critical observation. You can't convince me that there were no other regular units - or even better some scientists to do that job.

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #114 on: 21 May 2019, 23:26:44 »
Agree on that - otherwise it's your bad, when you send mercs to do such a critical observation. You can't convince me that there were no other regular units - or even better some scientists to do that job.

I agree, it is still a mercenary unit, but one that I think would have been better Team Banzai, they have proven there loyalty to the FC, are scientist who could do a scientific search and all that. But it would not have fulfilled the fluff needed.

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
« Reply #115 on: 28 June 2019, 23:44:51 »
ELH was done dirty by the developers, but if they had to go get absorbed, Clan Goliath Scorpions fits well.  :bang:

Lexington Combat Group another one done dirty by developers by saying that they went broke after trying to upgrade. Folded them into the 4th Ceti Hussars.

Screaming Eagles.....this one is personal to me as I served with the 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles in real life.....glad they kept them around and employed by House Davion.
"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army

winters_night

• Corporal
« Reply #116 on: 20 July 2019, 00:51:25 »
Grey Death legion was always a big one because like many in this thread Thunder Rift was the first Btech novel I read and what roped me into the universe.

Eridani Light Horse Probably the first BIG merc group I heard of so always thought they where neat, being as old of a unit as they where as well was another big draw

McCarron's Armored Cavalry was the merc unit that I THOUGHT most should be like, lots of vehicles backing up those supposedly really rare mechs that all other merc units seem to have in droves..  They just fit the lore better to me than most groups. Also Manticores.. sweet sweet Manticores

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #117 on: 20 July 2019, 12:36:38 »
I'm not much of a merc fan, hard to pick a favorite. I mean, i like mercs as a concept within the universe, but that's roughly my interest in mercs.

I am inclined to say the original mercs (Lindon's Company, 21st Centauri Lancers, Hansen's Roughriders, Eridani Light Horse, Wolf's Dragoons) but i don't really have any special attachment to any of them.
The Dragoons are cool in "Wolves on the Border" but become a bit meh later on due to their incredible power as mercs.

McCarron's Armored Cavalry is neat being one of the few Capellan-centric mercs but they do become a house unit so i don't count them really.

This said, i need to go through various mercs, there might be some that possess right faction allegiance at certain time period (and nice colors) to justify some unit mixes i have in mind.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #118 on: 20 July 2019, 12:48:53 »
ELH was done dirty by the developers, but if they had to go get absorbed, Clan Goliath Scorpions fits well.  :bang:

How?  They were wiped out during the Jihad but had gotten mentioned in Dark Age so they had to come back . . . to become Falcon targets, blame the Lyrans for 'using' mercs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Auberan

• Corporal
« Reply #119 on: 22 July 2019, 06:40:46 »
12th Star Guards, hands down.

I was a player in a game where we started as the Guards just before the Clan Invasion, and unfortunately the GM passed away while we were just getting ramped up. Sometime after that I took up a continuation of the game, set in the Dark Ages, where the 12th Star Guards had managed to survive and thrive. Now they hold a special place in my heart that most units really never managed.

Register