Author Topic: Good way to Remove Paint?  (Read 2032 times)

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
Good way to Remove Paint?
« on: 20 July 2019, 21:40:23 »
I screwed up badly on a Mad Cat Prime mini I tried to paint. The results are disgustingly super-thick. Is there any good way to get this stuff off (I was using a spraypaint as the primer, some kind of Krylon primer+base white spraypaint thing) without damaging the mini?

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: Good way to Remove Paint?
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2019, 21:44:57 »
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=66108.0

Thread about stuff to use and how it compares to different products.

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2019, 21:55:30 »
Thank you!

Edit: Wait, this is for Plastic. I'm working with a metal mini and some of the comments say this stuff doesn't work as well for metal.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2019, 21:58:32 by GespenstM »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2019, 22:13:16 »
i've soaked metal minis in pine sol to good effect in the past

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2019, 22:21:58 »
Pine Sol? Interesting. Think I've got some of that lying around. How long did it take before you could brush the paint off?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2019, 22:28:52 »
i left them in overnight just to be sure... though i'd wait for someone who knows better to confirm it's not bad for the minis. i'm prone to doing potentially stupid things

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2019, 22:30:43 »
Will do. Thanks for the idea! Anyone else able to chime in?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2019, 22:31:56 »
Brush cleaner is the best I have used by far (various manufacturers). It is used to remove either freshly used paint from a brush or even thick, dried layers. Good for acrylic or oil. Just soak it overnight and run the miniature under a hot tap and scrub with an old tooth brush.

Be careful though as a lot of the stuff is nasty. Make sure you use it in an area with good ventilation. But it has been by far the best paint stripper requiring the least amount of effort.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2019, 22:34:23 »
Acetone also works very well with metal minis.  It is kind of nasty stuff, but it gets oil base spray primer off.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 20 July 2019, 22:45:21 »
Simple Green works for metal, I've used it on older Ral Partha minis I painter 30ish years ago and the paint came off w/o issue.

It really depends on the type of paint used and how thick it is.

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2019, 23:02:34 »
I use acetone, leave it in a glass jar for a couple of days (covered), then use a toothbrush to scrub away the paint. If there's still a lot, I repeat this.

When you pour the acetone in the jar and handle it, and when you remove the mini components from the jar, careful with what surfaces you are working on. If acetone spills on laminate counter-tops or floors for example, it will damage them. Do not use with plastic... if you chose to use plastic bases instead of pewter bases for example, remove the base from the mini and discard it.

After that, if it hasn't all come off, I use an ultrasonic washer/polisher with simple green and hot water (do not put acetone in it as it has a low flash point and could detonate, simple green is safe, purple stuff I am not sure but I wouldn't without research).

I do a few rounds of this and hit the mini with the toothbrush more, a needle for grooves if the paint is stubborn. Repeat as needed. I find that hot water does help with acrylic paint.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2019, 23:09:47 by .RL »
A bit obsessed with the BattleTech universe since I saw the glorious TV show as a kid...

My humble offering of painted 'Mechs

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2019, 07:53:38 »
Detonate!?   :o

What exactly is that ultrasonic washer doing to the stuff??  Are there sparks involved?

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2019, 10:16:14 »
Detonate!?   :o

What exactly is that ultrasonic washer doing to the stuff??  Are there sparks involved?

It's best explained here = https://www.tovatech.com/blog/13537/ultrasonic-cleaner/acetone-ultrasonic-cleaner

From what I've read, I would not use acetone in an ultrasonic cleaner that you get on amazon for example.
A bit obsessed with the BattleTech universe since I saw the glorious TV show as a kid...

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2019, 10:19:57 »
Super Clean works very well.

I also recommend paint stripper to strip paint.  :D  People use the other stuff because it's cheaper per volume.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2019, 10:21:46 by Cache »

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #14 on: 21 July 2019, 10:30:01 »
Edit: Wait, this is for Plastic. I'm working with a metal mini and some of the comments say this stuff doesn't work as well for metal.
The removers/cleaners/solvents work on the paint, not the model. At least you'd hope they don't effect the model. That's why they're being used on (softer, weaker) plastic.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #15 on: 21 July 2019, 10:44:57 »
I also recommend paint stripper to strip paint.  :D 

hold up

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2019, 11:03:25 »
Thanks .RL... that page was useful, and confirmed what I thought (you still need a spark).

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2019, 11:55:53 »
Thanks .RL... that page was useful, and confirmed what I thought (you still need a spark).

Yes, it does need some type of spark, but none the less, it is so flammable, that i worry the ultrasonic cleaner's heat and pressure might (could?) cause an accident. The  ultrasonic cleaner I use is cheap and not explosion proof, but it works great with simple green.

I like using Acetone first because of how quickly it attacks the paint. Here's an example on youtube vs simple green = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjTSSucNfEk

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 21 July 2019, 12:07:44 »
One of metal's few remaining benefits over plastic is how much easier it is to strip paint. All you need is an acetone soak and a stiff brush.   Be forewarned though, when you put that mini to it's acetone bath, only the metal parts are coming back out.  Well that and maybe a couple, now gummy, bits of glue.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 21 July 2019, 12:29:09 »
Super Clean

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 26 July 2019, 13:07:14 »
I also use Super Clean.  Just let it soak overnight, rinse and brush the paint off with warm water and a toothbrush.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 26 July 2019, 14:37:35 »
Also, wear rubber gloves when using Super Clean, unless you need to remove your own fingerprints...

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 26 July 2019, 16:26:02 »
Who needs fingerprints anyway?

Register