Author Topic: "Metal fountain" extreme performance dropship cooling system  (Read 29 times)

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
  • Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
    • Message me on Telegram
Inspired both by Mass Effect and my a friend's own hard sci-fi setting, this is basically an extreme-performance cooling system wherein a shower of molten metal droplets is expelled at one end of the vessel, and recollected at the other end of the vessel via a powerful electrostatic/electromagnetic field. As the metal droplets are exposed to the vacuum of space, they rapidly radiate away a majority of their heat, with far greater efficiency than even double heat sinks.

This comes at a cost however. The collection system is massive, and there's also the risk of losing coolant to the cosmic void. As such, this system will need to be topped up. Oh, and it's also possible to lose coolant to enemy fire or extreme maneuvers.

Thoughts?

For clarification... My idea for this system, mass-wise, is that there is an initial cost for installing the system (which scales with the size of the ship), but after that there's a break-even point where it outperforms Double Heat Sinks in terms of cooling per ton.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:35:02 by Lycanphoenix »

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
The problem is, exposed to the vacumn space does not let those debris to reduce its heat. Only the radiation works on the space since there is almost no medium to transfer the heat, but for this you don't need to throw away those little debris in the first place and you could do better such as shoot the lasers instead. Add the big heat sink plate on the surface would serves the similar purpose too.

Also it surely pollute the course with those little debris, and although a few of those won't cause much effect but the constant and frequent uses of this may cause catastrophical result.

If it wasn't vacumn space then it could be work as the heat sink as long as you can keep use this. But... seriously, I'd shoot the steam instead, which is not only easier to gather from the air, but also not pollute the atmosphere as well.

Not to mention that some of the radiations(and the other ways to deliver heats in the case of atmosphere) will strike back the unit that uses it as well, degrade its effectiveness.

It is doubtful that it is even possible to build too. Since battletech world does not have such technology to control electromagnetic field with extreme precision, and making electromagnetic field on the distant area, it would be only justified on the alternative settings. The most close thing to do is the polarity shield to disperse PPC shots but that's all they could. If they were able to fully manage the tech, then they don't need a physical case for the plasma weapon in the first place.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:36:28 by PuppyLikesLaserPointers »

Register