Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: GN-20* Gùn  (Read 28772 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
'Mech of the Week: GN-20* Gùn
« on: 17 January 2014, 00:04:12 »

First unveiled on the eve of Operation: GREAT FLOOD in Capellan space, the subject of this week's article is the Gùn.  Rolled out in 3134, the Gùn is intended as a militia and garrison 'Mech, despite being a fully capable OmniMech in its own right.  Massing 20 tons, the Gùn is the lightest that a conventional BattleMech can aspire to, and shares that mass with the ubiquitous Stinger, Wasp, and Locust trio, and also with the very similar Flea.

Built on Capella in the Capellan Confederation (where else?) and on Lockton in the Magistry of Canopus, the Gùn can be found in the CCAF, the MAF, and even here and there in the Andurian Defense Force.  For the most part, the Gùn is a decided oddity in general, nevermind for an OmniMech.  Designed as an infantry support 'Mech, the primary purpose of a Gùn is to advance with the infantry, and provide a cheap yet capable transport option for the CCAF's mechanized battle armor units.

Constructed on an Ceresplex Light Omni Endo-Steel chassis to save mass at the expense of internal space, the Gùn gets off to a promising start.  Where that start careens into something unexpected occurs at the next stage of development.  A Rawlings 100 standard fusion engine propels the Gùn up to a running speed of just a hair over 86 kilometers per hour.  This earns it the dubious distinction of being the slowest 'Mech in its tonnage increment, sharing that “honor” with the Hornet.  Indeed, of all known BattleMechs to date, the next slowest 'Mech to be found is the Mandrill, fully ten tons heavier.  And, of course, the Urbanmech, also in the 30 ton group.  August company, to be sure.  While there are no jumpjets hard-wired into the chassis, it is technically possible for the Gùn to mount a full complement, though no current configuration does so.

While the Endo-Steel chassis is intended to save mass at the cost of space and expense, the standard engine takes the opposite approach and saves expense at the cost of mass.  This has the side-effect of making the Gùn durable enough on its own to weather a few seconds of dedicated heavy firepower, so the decision is not necessarily a poor one.  In fact, considering the overall cost of the base chassis of the 'Mech, using a standard engine is a shrewd cost cutting measure that maintains a good level of effectiveness for the price.  Another cost cutting measure in the form of a small cockpit makes the Gùn a challenge to pilot, but frees another ton of mass to use in the armament and armor of the 'Mech.

Speaking of armor, the Gùn is protected by three and a half tons of Ceres Standard armor plating.  This is enough to cover just more than 80% of the chassis maximum, but definitely leaves the pilot wanting more.  As it stands, a simple medium pulse laser will strip all of the armor off any location that is not the Center Torso or Head, though it will only go internal from the rear.  Both the aforementioned locations, however, will be breached by a direct large laser hit.  A single PPC or AC/10 slug will take the Head clean off, which can't do a whole lot to make pilots happy.  On a frame like this, sacrifices must be made.

Those sacrifices, however, yield fruit in the form of the Gùn's payload.  Not less than ten tons of podspace, fully half the 'Mechs mass, are available for weapons and equipment.  Supported by the base ten double heatsinks of the 'Mech, this is more than enough to accomplish the Gùn's primary role.  In fact, some might argue that this is more podspace than the Gùn needs, or that any sane pilot would want to ride into a fight given so little armor.  Three common configurations make very different uses of the space available, though all follow the same general tenets.

First, the 'Mech takes a leaf out of the venerable Urbanmech's playbook and typically mounts a single large caliber weapon, though the primary configuration also boasts a pair of supporting weapons.  Additionally, all weapons on all configurations are mounted on the arms, making for superb battle armor transport capabilities.  Finally, despite the ammunition on the primary, Gùn configurations are armed solely with energy weapons.  This serves the two fold purpose of allowing Gùn units to stay in the field as battle armor transports long after a ballistic- or missile-armed transport would have to retire to rearm.  Secondly, it also keeps ammunition costs down, reinforcing the image of a cost-effective, easily acquired and replaced garrison 'Mech.

The primary configuration of the Gùn sets the tone for the rest of the common configs.  Taking up the majority of the podspace is a single Plasma Rifle, fed by two tons of ammunition, in the Right Arm.  Opposite that in the left sit two ER Medium Lasers.  The primary weapon on this configuration has the fairly short maximum range of 450 meters, but within range the Plasma Rifle is a good candidate for the most versatile weapon available for any tonnage.  Capable of solid punches at 'Mechs while also playing merry hell with an opponent's heat scale, the rifle is even better at engaging aerospace fighters due to the unforgiving nature of an ASF's heat scale.  Against non-heat tracking units such as infantry, battle armor, and conventional vehicles, the rifle deals significant extra damage.  In the open, a single volley from the energy weapon is enough to completely incinerate entire platoons by itself.  The two lasers add good punch for the 'Mech's size out to 360 meters.  While short ranged, the Gùn's primary configuration is unmatched in offensive versatility.

Configuration A represents the logical extreme of a 20 ton 'Mech with 10 tons of space.  There is only one weapon on this configuration, in the form of a Heavy PPC in the Right Arm.  On a frame moving that slowly, with that little armor, the HPPC is begging to be destroyed in line combat.  That's why the Gùn does not participate in line combat when at all possible.  Against civilian vehicles, or the lower tech, less capable vehicles that an insurgency or enemy militia units are likely to muster, the devastating punch of the HPPC ensures that nothing wants to get within 540 meters of the Gùn A except infantry.  Even then, since it's suicide to send a Gùn into battle alone and unsupported, there's more than likely another that can ruin the infantry's day nearby.

The final configuration, labeled simply “B”, may best be described as the Raven's younger sibling.  While this particular sibling may be frailer of limb and feebler of punch, it is if anything stronger in mind.  Mounting both Angel ECM and a Bloodhound Active Probe (in the Right Torso and Left Torso, respectively), as well as a TAG module in the Left Arm, the Gùn B is able to provide all of your electronics warfare needs, short of relaying the HPG message for reinforcements itself.  The sole offensive weapon is an ER Large Laser in the Right Arm.

A group of notable pilots has done enough with the Gùn to warrant mention.  A unit full of screw-ups, an up and coming officer in the McCarron's Armored Cavalry's second regiment volunteered to lead the errant lance of Gùns.  Sang-wei Garrett O’Donnell immediately whipped the unit into fighting shape, and the lance is now one of the most requested in the entire regiment for infantry support special missions.

Using a Gùn is fairly straightforward.  You don't have the armor to tangle with... well, anything that isn't infantry for any length of time.  Neither do you have the speed to disengage from anything that has any speed at all.  More so than any other 'Mech in recent memory, use of cover and blocking line of sight is necessary to use a Gùn.  Hit and fade attacks are a good idea in cities or heavy woods, and using the primary's plasma rifle to set fires may actually be more useful to the group than using that limited ammunition to engage the enemy.  Lack of maneuverability is a serious issue.  As the entry mentions, the B is rarely deployed out of range of friendly artillery, and that's a good rule to use.  The more you can keep enemies ducked out of sight, the more freedom you have to maneuver.

The Prime functions in a very different manner from the A and B, since it offers the only dedicated anti-infantry punch of the configurations.  If you encounter an infantry unit that you absolutely need dead, send a Prime after it.  If you encounter an armored target, bring forward the As.  Enemy ECM, or a C3 Network, or other advanced electronics, bring forward a B, same for if the enemy is dug into fixed positions.  In such a way, no Gùn is really able to do everything, but all Gùn configurations together are able to accomplish just about everything, once friendly artillery is included.

Fighting a Gùn is even easier.  Shoot at it.  Doesn't even really matter with what, just be aware that the A is going to hurt what shoots at it, the Prime is going to roast infantry alive, and the B is going to shut down everything you love and hold dear in the world.  It's like playing rock-paper-scissors.  Kill the A with infantry, kill the Prime with 'Mechs or other long range weapons, and kill the B with something that doesn't use electronics to do it, and that can preferably avoid the return fire from the Arrow IV battery just over the next ridge.

The Gùn is entirely too new for Camospecs, but you can find the Master Unit List entry for it right here.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: 'Mech of the Week: GN-20* Gùn
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2014, 00:30:11 »
Haven't used one of these yet, but I really want to.
Anyone have any success stories about this 'Mech?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2014, 03:00:16 »
Haven't used one of these yet, but I really want to.
Anyone have any success stories about this 'Mech?

Just did then in a MM game. Overall... it's fragile and i expected it to absolutely murder my infantry but sustained, massed fire from infantry will take it down.
That is provided you're willing to stand your ground - i did and it ended up costing me a fair bit of infantry. But over all, i was pleased.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

ScannerError

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2014, 12:23:30 »
It's an interesting mech, but only having 4 crits available in any section limits the weapons it can carry.  No Re-engineered large lasers or TSEMP (though I guess the OS TSEMP could work).  Losing any limb to a PPC hit really hurts it as well.  It's not a joke that Amazons can take hits better than the Gùn. 

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2014, 12:29:45 »
Well, you can always hang one on the other.
I'd prefer a config with ams in the arms and then hang some reflec toad equivalents on it.
The Gùn sure is a decent package for what it's trying to accomplish.
I mean, it's infantry support with a hint of electronic warfare.
If you're fighting in a defense garrison on a borderworld, with a company each of POs, Battle Armour, and the odd Regiment of Militia Infantry, the Gùn B is probably a command mech and supported by the only onworld artillery lance.
A single lance of these on populated worlds with a squad of attached police is probably all the Riot control you'll ever need.
Just don't send it at anything that is likely to fight back. Mechs are a particularly bad idea, and most mediums can pace it.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2014, 13:39:48 »
As mentioned in the article, this is the kind of 'Mech that doesn't fare well in symmetrical combat, or where it's matched up against the biggest threat on the other side of the field.  It's very much rock-paper-scissors on armored legs.

For the Prime, it looks a lot like this:

If -> Enemy 'Mechs
   Then -> And
      Deploy Battle Armor
      Hide

If -> Enemy Infantry
   Then -> And
      Deploy Battle Armor
      Burn PBI

If -> No Targets
   Then -> And
      Pick up Battle Armor
      Look for targets

The only differences between the A and B and the Prime are that the A swaps around the Infantry and 'Mechs, and the B adds the following:

If -> Enemy Electronics
   Then -> Disable Electronics

More than any 'Mech in recent memory, the Gùn relies on cover and not even being in the line of fire, rather than taking the fight to enemy 'Mechs.  It's a battle taxi that can go just about anywhere (remember, jump jets are pod-mountable), take a few hits to actually cripple (standard engine means that, technically, you can lose four locations on this bad boy without being outright- or mission-killed), and depending on the config can find some use as an opportunist when the Big Boys are scuffling.

The Gùn should never be matched up against its equal, nor without significant infantry or big brother 'Mech support.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2014, 14:02:46 »
Given the BV/PV of the Gùn I'd imagine a Gùnswarm, perhaps with Amazon BA would be a viable tactic.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2014, 14:15:42 »
It's definitely possible.  A Gùn and Amazon squad generally comes to right around 1,000 BV for the pair, if you average it out (the Gùn averages 700 per config, almost exactly, and the Amazon exactly 300 per squad, also average).  Considering that you can generally get a decent Heavy or low-end Assault for 2k, I'm not sure a combined arms lance composed of Gùns and battle armor is necessarily going to take it down.  Then again, Gùns and battle armor probably shouldn't be trying, either.  There's even a bit in the TRO deployments section for the Gùn that mentions a single old school Centurion taking down an entire lance of them by his lonesome.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2014, 14:49:24 »
This thing screams to me that it should be deployed in a reinforced lance.  Two Primes as generalists, an A for punching down modest armoured threats and a B for support.  Then take two cheap Arrow IV tanks or a pair of LRM carriers with semi guided ammo on board.

Adding in four squads of BA will give you a garrison force that should be able to defeat most pirate raiding forces and provide a useful first response against anything bigger while you marshal you main forces together.

Obviously it could do with a bit more armour, but 20 tons is 20 tons and what it does with it's payload is pretty impressive.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2014, 16:00:11 »
A version that uses two standard old large lasers would be pretty spiffy... or maybe a large, a medium, and a pair of flamers.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2014, 16:07:49 »
I was thinking ER PPC and some anti-infantry stuff (either SPL or Flamers).  Alternately, some IDF capability.  I'd actually probably go with a Mech Mortar for sheer flavor, but an LRM-15 would do the job nicely, with or without Art. IV

Interestingly, a config that mounted a single Mech Mortar 4 and three tons of ammo to do cruel and unusual things to your opponents comes in at the cheapest of any config I've cared to try out, less than 1.5 million c-bills and barely more than 260 BV.  An LRM-15 with two tons of ammo and Art. IV is still less than 500 BV.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2014, 16:30:18 »

Its a cute little Mech that I just have to respect, but I do wish that we get an extreme range harassment config.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

ScannerError

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2014, 16:57:55 »
Interestingly, a config that mounted a single Mech Mortar 4 and three tons of ammo to do cruel and unusual things to your opponents comes in at the cheapest of any config I've cared to try out, less than 1.5 million c-bills and barely more than 260 BV.  An LRM-15 with two tons of ammo and Art. IV is still less than 500 BV.
My main issue with the default configs is that they're rather pricy, and with the Gùn being essentially an Omni-bug that's a problem.  Cheap and effective configs are good.

Its a cute little Mech that I just have to respect, but I do wish that we get an extreme range harassment config.
Yeah, something like a ERPPC and a Tcomp, backed up with a flamer or some small lasers, would be nice.  ERPPC+Tcomp+2xERSL is 700 BV on the dot, and with an ER Flamer instead of the ERSLs it's a rather ominous 666 BV. 

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2014, 17:17:00 »
Honestly it's not too pricey regardless.  The B is the most expensive, on account of the rather advanced electronics littering its chassis.  The Prime and the A are both pretty close to 2 million C-bills (the A is actually cheaper).

What you get for that cost is versatility.  The Gun is, alternately, a battle armor carrier, an infantry murderer, a headhunter (in numbers, and with bigger targets to draw fire), an EW platform, and perhaps most importantly in the era, it's a 'Mech that in most instances is going to be supporting and engaging infantry.  It's morale, wrapped up in a little ribbon that has a few extra doodads to justify the cost.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

ScannerError

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2014, 17:25:36 »
Honestly it's not too pricey regardless.  The B is the most expensive, on account of the rather advanced electronics littering its chassis.  The Prime and the A are both pretty close to 2 million C-bills (the A is actually cheaper).
I was referring to the rather high BV, though I can see how my phrasing would suggest that I was talking about C-bill prices.  C-bill wise, the Gun is dirt cheap for an Omni.  But from the BV side, I don't think ~700 BV for a unit that's crippled by a PPC hit and fights at middling ranges is generally a good investment. 

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 17 January 2014, 17:47:45 »
700 BV makes the Gun contemporaries with the Urbanmech R80 (2/3/3, SNPPC), Garm (5/8/5, LB-5X), Clint 1-2R (6/9, AC/10), and Raven -3L (6/9, EW platform, SRM-6/NARC).

I don't know about you, but while all of those may be rather larger than our little friend, they all do just about the same quality job.  Hell, the Garm's main gun will fit on a Gun with room for ammo, making the only difference in capability the FF (same tonnage)  and extra LRM-10.  That's for being nearly double the size.

I'd take a Gun against any flavor of Urbanmech any day of the week.

The Clint would be a fun fight, considering its armor is barely any better and its heat scale is easily fiddled with.

The Raven does the same EW work as the B but with less power.  If the Gun tried, it could actually imitate 80% of the -3L, missing only the NARC launcher.  Considering the Raven also out-BVs the B by 10%, I'd call that a win.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 17 January 2014, 18:02:25 »
I love this little mech. From the awesome artwork to the design itself. For 20 tons, I can't think of a better deal. I like to think of the Gùn as the new Capellan version of the Wasp and the Stinger. Legions of these things being cranked out that die in droves but eventually take out their objective etc.
Made by HikageMaru

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 17 January 2014, 21:46:31 »
Gùn is sexy picture wise, but you have to be pretty crafty when your using it.  Thank you for writing this new buggy up for us,  Scotty.  The 'Mech is certainly not your Succession War era BattleMech, i won't have thought i'd see a dedicated OmniMech desiged for Infantry support and be basicly unable to handle anything heavier than infantry formations and possibly light Battle Armor. 3145 is a certainly a dangerous era if your driving latest designs.

Kuritas have arguably toughest machines with that Harden Armor with over engined 'Mechs/tanks that can over come the speed problems.  Gùn has to over come its lack of armor and try test player urges to go "Lyran" on someone.  Player has to remind themselves their not driving a machine able to survive combat even in Lance against even vintage Succession War tech survivors.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2014, 22:10:12 »
Another thing to consider: Strategically, the Shen Long can almost keep up with this baby.  The ground MP of 4 on arguably one of the best Battle Armor suits available to the Inner Sphere is a fantastic companion to the Gun.

My vision for a CapCon garrison/battle armor company is a lance of Guns, in Prime, Prime, A, B formation carrying two squads each of Amazons (two MRR, two SPPC), and supported on the ground by a platoon of Shen Longs in David, David, Machine Gun, Flamer formation.

That sports some positively war crime levels of pain against infantry of both kinds (by my count, six different units mount AI weapons, for a total of two Plasma Rifles, two MRRs, four machine guns, and two flamers), and the Gun A, Amazons, and David Shen Longs can still inflict some reasonably good damage on even armored units.  The Gun B has all of your EW funtimes covered, and the Shen Long (Flamer) adds another roaming bubble of "screw you" to enemy units.

Interestingly, I'd use the entire company for the same kind of tactic, too: hit and fade.  Guns aren't durable enough to stand up against anything, so pop in and out of cover, preferably while opponents backs are turned, and even more preferably when there's a better target to shoot at that isn't the Gun.  Amazons, ironically, are the workhorses of the entire company, and are the most "line" combatant in the entire unit.  Use them as bubbles of "THERE THEY ARE!" to keep your enemies focused and draw fire when your Guns enter the fray.  Use your Shen Longs as head hunters.  Nobody at all, least of all enemy battle armor, want to round the corner and suddenly find an array of Davids pointed at them. 

In short, use your Amazons to anchor the position, and then try your damndest at all times to make sure that your opponent either doesn't know or can't hit your other units.  It's a very Capellan kind of strategy.  It'd work fantastically in a city, or in heavy woods.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2014, 23:49:50 »

What you get for that cost is versatility.  The Gun is, alternately, a battle armor carrier, an infantry murderer, a headhunter (in numbers, and with bigger targets to draw fire), an EW platform, and perhaps most importantly in the era, it's a 'Mech that in most instances is going to be supporting and engaging infantry.  It's morale, wrapped up in a little ribbon that has a few extra doodads to justify the cost.
I think some of this is important to keep in mind.

Any body who's looked at/played with the new Ultra-Heavy Proto's (And yes, the fact that they're called ULTRA-Heavy is important) a little will be able to tell you that they make light 'Mechs obsolete. Based upon that idea I recently looked into turning some of the Ultra-light 'Mechs into Proto, that makes even more sense, right? Well in doing so I found something out: It doesn't work, the high speed that the Flea-14 has means that it doesn't work as a Proto, but once you start slowing things do it gets bad for the 'Mechs, which means that the Gun SHOULD turn into a Proto without any problems, and gain some benefits in the process.

Well apart from losing the ability to be an Omni and the ability to lug around BA

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #20 on: 18 January 2014, 01:11:13 »
It's a omni-Locust; while I'm not sure weather that's a good thing or a bad thing, the fact it's a Omni makes it a nice ride for BA and the B is great 'get in and get out' scout mech for your fire support and artillery. While it would be crazy to take on a heavy combat vehicle or, god forbid, another mech in something as fragile as the Gun,  the A has me chuckling because I know someone out there will try.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #21 on: 18 January 2014, 01:28:12 »
I've always had a special kind of love for twenty ton mechs, and the Gun managed to carry on that tradition. I feel determined to acquire a swarm of them.

Of course I also have images of sending them to the Forest Moon of Endor for some reason...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Grantwhy

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 18 January 2014, 10:45:57 »
For those wanting a better armour version, why not Modular Armor? (that is allowed on 'Omni's? As are shields?)

Ok, it make the Gun even slower, but the mental image of a 20 ton 'Mech waddling around under the weight of up to 200% extra armour is delightfully  :D
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness.

Don't fight rabbits if you taste like lettuce.

Grantwhy

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 18 January 2014, 11:16:14 »
700 BV makes the Gun contemporaries with the Urbanmech R80 (2/3/3, SNPPC), Garm (5/8/5, LB-5X), Clint 1-2R (6/9, AC/10), and Raven -3L (6/9, EW platform, SRM-6/NARC).

I don't know about you, but while all of those may be rather larger than our little friend, they all do just about the same quality job.  Hell, the Garm's main gun will fit on a Gun with room for ammo, making the only difference in capability the FF (same tonnage)  and extra LRM-10.  That's for being nearly double the size.

not enough free criticals on a Gun to fit a LB 5-X  :-[

It's an interesting mech, but only having 4 crits available in any section limits the weapons it can carry. 

Side Torsos have 4 free criticals each.  Both arms also have 4 free and the Head has 2.  All the rest are taken.

Still, for long range plinking it can fit a LB 2-X or an Ultra AC 2,  and for very long range plinking a HV AC 2 or a Extended LRM 5). 

How much armour you have (or don't have) doesn't matter if they can't shoot back.  >:D
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness.

Don't fight rabbits if you taste like lettuce.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #24 on: 18 January 2014, 11:20:54 »
Named after a Chinese fighting stick, this thing should be able to least be able to smack someone as sniper if their crafty enough to avoid incoming fire from potentially crippling opponent.

However, humoristly, I can see Battle Armor infantrymen catching ride with thing and saying "Have Gùn - Will travel"
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #25 on: 18 January 2014, 11:49:05 »
I'd love to see a series of Capellan OmniMechs based on the other three major Chinese weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qiang_%28spear%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dao_%28sword%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jian

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 18 January 2014, 11:51:26 »
I think some of this is important to keep in mind.

Any body who's looked at/played with the new Ultra-Heavy Proto's (And yes, the fact that they're called ULTRA-Heavy is important) a little will be able to tell you that they make light 'Mechs obsolete. Based upon that idea I recently looked into turning some of the Ultra-light 'Mechs into Proto, that makes even more sense, right? Well in doing so I found something out: It doesn't work, the high speed that the Flea-14 has means that it doesn't work as a Proto, but once you start slowing things do it gets bad for the 'Mechs, which means that the Gun SHOULD turn into a Proto without any problems, and gain some benefits in the process.

Well apart from losing the ability to be an Omni and the ability to lug around BA

Considering that as far as I'm aware, Ultra-Heavy protos are kinda really dead anywhere they could possibly have existed in the Inner Sphere, and that most Inner Sphere nations can't even make regular protos yet, and further that being an Omni and lugging around BA is literally the prime selling point for a Gun, I'd say that a Gun-style Proto is pretty impossible.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 18 January 2014, 12:02:14 »
My vision for a CapCon garrison/battle armor company is a lance of Guns, in Prime, Prime, A, B formation carrying two squads each of Amazons (two MRR, two SPPC), and supported on the ground by a platoon of Shen Longs in David, David, Machine Gun, Flamer formation.

Somewhat amusingly, I just ran the numbers for this, and the entire company ends up less than 5400 BV for 4/5 pilots on all 12 units.  That's budget.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 18 January 2014, 17:05:59 »
For those wanting a better armour version, why not Modular Armor? (that is allowed on 'Omni's? As are shields?)

Ok, it make the Gun even slower, but the mental image of a 20 ton 'Mech waddling around under the weight of up to 200% extra armour is delightfully  :D

They do have modular armor.  It's called battle armor.  ;D

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #29 on: 18 January 2014, 20:22:19 »
not enough free criticals on a Gun to fit a LB 5-X  :-[
You can still pack a PPC or Plasma Rifle.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Register