Author Topic: Historical Record E/892 - The AEM-01 Dragoon.  (Read 11063 times)

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
Re: Historical Record E/892 - The AEM-01 Dragoon.
« Reply #30 on: 16 March 2018, 13:24:44 »
An impressive machine; each and every variant is very capable. And a good writeup  8)
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #31 on: 16 March 2018, 16:58:08 »
I have this 'Mech as a hand-made prototype from the RWR in my home/online campaign, with the final production line and variants not being established until they get to Terra. Makes sense to me that the RWR would have tried to make a staple, homegrown Heavy like they did with the Rampage and Phoenix. Especially since the doctrine of standardization was so widespread in the SLDF, which they tried to mimic.

Completing the conquest of Terra and THEN starting on a standardized Heavy (the most common 'Mech class in the Dragoon and Guard regiments) seems out-of-character, IMO. So... "whatever works on your table," etc.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 16 March 2018, 17:01:14 »
I'm tempted to get a 3rd one and kitbash the LRM version.  Maybe when my current backlog gets finished.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #33 on: 16 March 2018, 23:36:32 »
Opinions of the 5C from Turning Points: Epsilon Eridani?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #34 on: 17 March 2018, 02:44:33 »
Well we can assume that the Dragoon was rather limited in numbers and post Amaris Civil War, it would be achingly rare with total numbers probably being able to be counted on two hands, at the very most.  They were made on Terra and stationed on Terra so most would have been destroyed in the fighting.  Perhaps one or two might have been taken as salvage, but that's about it. 
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #35 on: 17 March 2018, 10:02:42 »
Some random thoughts:

On the thought that the Dragoon resembles the Nova Cat - Given that one of the founders of Clan Nova Cat had ties to the Rim Worlds Republic, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Dragoon was a "Distant Ancestor" of the Nova Cat Omni.

I know that the Dragoon was more or less the Brain Child of Amaris, but I do wonder if Kerensky didn't have a hand in in the development of this design. After all, prior to the Civil War and Periphery Uprising, Kerensky was trying to clean up the logistics and procurement side of the SLDF and some of the fruits of his efforts include the Vector VTOL and the Mercury Battlemech. It would not surprise me in the least if Krupp had seen the proverbial "way the wind was blowing" and had begun working on something to adapt to the potential change in the status quo when Amaris took over and it just happened that Amaris and Krupp's interests intersected with the Dragoon.

I think it is a shame that the mech was stigmatized and disappeared by the end of the Second Succession War - With access to Krupp, it could have been reaaaaally interesting to see the Com Guards and the Word of Blake field this design in significant numbers.
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #36 on: 17 March 2018, 11:10:41 »
One would assume that had it existed in the fluff etc then its possilbe that Comstar might have made use of it, but in the fluff for the Mech its molds and stuff were all destroyed as were the data files for it.  ComStar would have to rebuild it.

And the Clans when they see them would go APE.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #37 on: 17 March 2018, 11:25:52 »
One would assume that had it existed in the fluff etc then its possilbe that Comstar might have made use of it, but in the fluff for the Mech its molds and stuff were all destroyed as were the data files for it.  ComStar would have to rebuild it.

I think that by the time of the invasion they would have forgotten about it.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #38 on: 17 March 2018, 11:47:22 »

Oh, I know the clans would go ape. And Krupp could also do what was done with the Thunder Fox more recently and cosmetically changed the look of the Dragoon and pass it off as another design. But its all random musing-ness at this point.  :thumbsup:

I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 17 March 2018, 12:18:38 »
Opinions of the 5C from Turning Points: Epsilon Eridani?

Haven't used it yet, but it seems solid with the CASE II and Ferro Lamellor, which is is a surprising twist. c3i is still probably not worth the cost, but you could possibly make an argument for it with the Angel ECM, but in an era where everyone else has it, that c3i link is probably going to go down.

I think solid kind of covers it. It doesn't really make me go "Oh wow, that's neat," even with the Clan armor.

More later, perhaps.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #40 on: 17 March 2018, 12:37:03 »

Not really. The Matar turned into the Stone Rhino. And their most-hated enemy since Clan Wolverine, the Society, invented machines that the wood-minded Homeworld Clans are continually using. There is, in fact, a passage about this, stating that they hate the enemy but respect the machine.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops