Author Topic: Tell me about the....LTV4  (Read 2281 times)

mutantsix

• Corporal
Tell me about the....LTV4
« on: 17 March 2018, 19:57:56 »
I'm looking for a lance of cavalry hover tanks for SW period merc unit and these seem ideal. From what I can tell from MUL is they move 7/11 and with 5.5 tons of armour with a PPC/SRM4 in a turret.

If you look at contemporaries like the condor/drillson this seems like a good tank.

Thoughts??

I can't seem to find a record sheet for it though apart from the old FASA Record Sheet Vol 5 so not sure how the armour is laid out.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Tell me about the....LTV4
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2018, 20:10:56 »
It can be found in XTRO:Primitives volume II, despite it not being a primitive vehicle itself.

It's pretty handy, but a little thin skinned because of how much mass that PPC and heatsinks use up. 24 points up front, 16 everywhere else. Since hovertanks tend to be so easy to immobilize, that's not necessarily as bad as it might seem, but still, you're probably best off keeping your distance and sniping with the PPC.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

mutantsix

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2018, 07:08:38 »
Thanks LiamsGhost.

Would you know the Cbill cost?

We use this in our campaigns to determine repair bills etc.....bit old school but it works.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2018, 09:08:49 »
I get 1,315,667 C-bills when I plug it into megameklab.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2018, 13:00:01 »
I'm looking for a lance of cavalry hover tanks for SW period merc unit and these seem ideal. From what I can tell from MUL is they move 7/11 and with 5.5 tons of armour with a PPC/SRM4 in a turret.

If you look at contemporaries like the condor/drillson this seems like a good tank.

Thoughts??

I can't seem to find a record sheet for it though apart from the old FASA Record Sheet Vol 5 so not sure how the armour is laid out.

I did a Vehicle of the Week on it uh, six years ago?

Overall, it's a punchy hover but a little on the slow side.  Think of it like a slightly faster, more fragile Scorpion and you get the general idea.  They haven't aged that well into the 3050s and beyond.  If it's what you've got, though, there are certainly worse vehicles to get handed when you're in command of some backwater militia.

What really makes them notable is the age and technology.  The LTV-4 is important in the history of BattleTech because it introduced "standard" armor to the market and is the first true combat vehicle chronologically, creating the next leapfrog in technology for both vehicles and BattleMechs.  (Combat vehicles can't use primitive systems - anything with them is a support vehicle as far as the rules go.)  It also plays a big part in the deep history of GM, better known for manufacturing approximately umpteen dozen Marauder variants and offshoots.

mutantsix

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2018, 19:47:41 »
LiamsGhost and Moonsword - thank you so much for the info!!

I just put two 3/5 LTV4 in my merc unit.

Register