Author Topic: Mechwarrior 2nd Edition adding new Advantages/Disadvantages  (Read 2712 times)

Arcanist Raven

• Recruit
The group I play with loves the 2nd Edition. While looking at the other editions, they have some advantages that I would like to include into the 2nd Edition. No problem there. However when it comes to disadvantages, I was thinking maybe allowing them from the other editions. Now the question is how to limit these and how to use them in creation. If they take a 3 point Disadvantage should they get a 3 point advantage to equal it out? Or extra skill points? I always liked the Idea of the Enemy disadvantage, and I tended to use that against characters in my campaigns. I tried to get them involved in the later editions, but they like the simplicity of the 2nd Edition.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Mechwarrior 2nd Edition adding new Advantages/Disadvantages
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2020, 16:49:02 »
I would characterize that as your players trying to derive an advantage from the plot points you would throw at them as a GM.  Not that I'm against that (Enemy exists as a disadvantage in my preferred edition (AToW) after all).  If you're using it against them already, I really see no problem with it.  You just have to use your judgment as a GM to gage the advantage you're willing to give them in return for the pain you're going to inflict...  ^-^

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2020, 20:49:23 »
I would say that a lot of the Disadvantages in AToW and other games are pointless.
They are a crutch for GM's that don't know how to tell a story.
While Disadvantages such as "Missing leg" "Blind" or other effects that can influence rolls in the game are fine.
Ones like "Enemy" "Dependent" "Introvert" are all storyline effects that should be played as such, and not give points or Disadvantage status.
The problem that you face when they are given this status is, everyone starts taking them just to get more advantages (mw2) or more points (AToW).
I ran into this problem a lot in the L5R rpg (till 4th where it changed) where players would take "Can not Lie" for the 3 points it was worth and it's weak negative effect.
IMHO, a Disadvantage in the game sense should not be some general inconvenience that comes up every once in a while, but a full on Disadvantage that the players must deal with everyday.
Sorry for that soapbox but Disadvantages tend to get out of control in games like MW2 that aren't designed for them from the start.
As Daryk said, they are already in AToW, but they are balanced by a point structure using counterbalanced Advantages. And IMHO it still doesn't work quite right.
The only place I have seen it work is in GURPS and that is because everything is build on a point system that they have been tweaking for 34 years, and it still gets some thing wrong.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2020, 21:55:05 »
Realistically Disadvantages should be weighted and I thought I remembered that there were some disadvantages, although they may have been in the companion book (just looked and I don't actually see any disadvantages in it)
with that said, Disadvantages should not be easy to handwave away, but should be something that keeps popping up on a regular basis.

for instance an enemy, shouldn't be a small annoyance for example.  a 1 point enemy, should be weighted based on how big of an area they can harass you in, and how aggressive they are about going after you.  to use an example in a campaign that mostly takes place on solaris IV I could totally see another mechwarrior, tech, stablemaster or similar being a 1 point disadvantage, but they are each going to have different methods of trying to get you and how often they come after you.  the Rival mechwarrior is likely to be running into you fairly often but it isn't going to be as hard to deal with their actions.
a tech is going to be more apt to arrange sabotage or bad parts type issues.  the stablemaster is more likely to come up with larger sabotage / more difficult issues to get out of, but are more likely to be less frequent things to pop up.  also the stablemaster is more apt to have connections to generate a wider reach to keep harassing you (if you leave solaris)

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2020, 19:41:51 »
Due to the system mechanics, you would be better to treat them as 'skills'.  Advantages are designed to give a significant mechanical advantage to a character.  ATOW disadvantages are nowhere near detrimental enough to offset that (and entirely breaks the creation rules).

Disadvantage 1 = 1 x p
Disadvantage 2 = 3 x p
Disadvantage 3 = 6 x p
Disadvantage 4 = 10 x p
Disadvantage 5 = 15 x p

This would also allow PCs to earn new ones and buy off old ones as the campaign progresses.
« Last Edit: 30 June 2020, 00:56:22 by Southernskies »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2020, 19:45:13 »
How are AToW disadvantages not "detrimental enough"?  ???

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2020, 03:30:30 »
How are AToW disadvantages not "detrimental enough"?  ???
To many points for to little disadvantage.
Where it kinda works in AToW, MW2 doesn't have the point spread to make it work as a true counterbalance to advantages.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2020, 14:48:58 »
Totally with you on MW2!  I thought you meant in the context of AToW… my mistake.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2020, 21:24:55 »
One idea I saw from another game is that if you buy 5 pts of disadvantages, you get 5 pts to spend on your character.

However, to get rid of the disadvantages you have to pay twice as many points to get rid of.  (I.e a 3-pt disadvantage needed 6 XP plus a little roleplay to remove)

So if you had 10 pts of disadvantages, you could give your character another 10 pts of advantages.  However, to get rid of the 10 pts of disadvantages, you needed 20 pts of XP to get rid of them  (This a game where you might get 4-6 XP per session, compared to Dungeons & Dragons getting ~500)
« Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 02:23:51 by idea weenie »

Arcanist Raven

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2020, 12:11:10 »
Thanks for the input everyone! No one in my group has gone to nuts with the disadvantages. Its mainly just Enemy 1, which is not bad. I do enjoy incorporating personal enemies into the group. Hopefully, once I get done reading ATOW and figuring it out. I can get them interested in it.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2020, 02:13:04 »
  If you play with very experienced players, they can game the heck out of the disadvantage system and use the extra points to create godlike characters, although I did have one player who always took the same Compulsion -Addiction to Cigarettes 2. "Welcome to Puka IV, the Inner Sphere's only nonsmoking star system. All tobacco and vaping products will be confiscated, thank you for not smoking." Fun times. I've had players start with 'Mechs and then tried to take a slew of negative design quirks, just to gain more points at the expense of a piece of equipment they could simply sell. Luckily for me, one of my more reliable min/max artists helped me account for every point with each player's sheet...   

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2020, 22:37:46 »
I love Mechwarrior 2ed. There is just something about how it dovetailed with the Battletech Compendium that made my heart sing. Even if min-max'ers prefer it for some reason, I think it was great. Along with Field Manual: Mercenaries, you basically have my high school experience.