Author Topic: Teaching the next generation  (Read 1861 times)

Frabby

• Major
Teaching the next generation
« on: 04 March 2017, 07:58:15 »
My son is now five and a half years old, clearly too young for boardgame BattleTech... but he loves boardgames of all kinds, and has been asking me to play BattleTech for many months. So I set up a quick game on a single board today.
He insisted on the Lake Area map, and that we should duel in 100-tonners. He picked an AS-7D Atlas for himself and assigned me a CGC-0000 King Crab.

I took away from that game that I've not improved much as a player over the last 25 years. The fight was generally much much closer than I had ever anticipated it would be, with both 'Mechs being shot to hell and back... but in the end a hit from his rear-mounted medium lasers destroyed my King Crab's gryo.

Yeah, my five year old just beat me in a fair standup BattleTech fight. :D
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Re: Teaching the next generation
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2017, 08:21:40 »
Youth and brashness triumphs over age and wisdom. Your sibko has bred true, warrior. Your assignment to a Solahma Cluster is being processed as I type this. :D
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2017, 11:57:56 »
My kids often win at games of dice just by being vastly luckier than I've ever even dreamed of being (their uncle, my brother, was famous for taking the Vulture C and collecting scalps).

Now, when your kids beat you at a game like chess that involves no luck (as mine have) then it's time to start filling out your transfer papers. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2017, 14:44:48 »
Great story thanks for sharing

Boomer8

• Corporal
  • Caballeros Forever!
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2017, 15:30:49 »
You got into a fair fight in Tabletop Battletech? Why? This is where old age and treachery shine!
Victor W. Milan (1954-2018) Taken before he finished.