Author Topic: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition  (Read 198337 times)

abou

• Captain
Re: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition
« Reply #450 on: 02 August 2018, 22:50:24 »
He wasn’t talking about the PDFs.
I must have misheard them. It was toward the end. What was he referencing then?
« Last Edit: 02 August 2018, 22:54:27 by abou »

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #451 on: 02 August 2018, 22:53:27 »
Physical product line.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

abou

• Captain
« Reply #452 on: 02 August 2018, 22:57:19 »
Ah, I see.

By the way, my question in the chat didn't get an answer. I figured you missed it. Any plans for AToW support? Honestly, if it isn't viable I understand. I remember seeing it discussed though so I hope something is at least being considered.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #453 on: 02 August 2018, 23:04:29 »
Ah, I see.

By the way, my question in the chat didn't get an answer. I figured you missed it. Any plans for AToW support? Honestly, if it isn't viable I understand. I remember seeing it discussed though so I hope something is at least being considered.

I would hope they keep up the current system of having a rules section for it in each book. It tends to be missing in books that have an ATOW section near it, like, Wars of the Republic Era for instance.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

abou

• Captain
« Reply #454 on: 02 August 2018, 23:14:21 »
For me, I really want to see an adventure module. Something to guide me in how an AToW campaign flows and moves. D&D has it relatively easy in that regard, but AToW eludes me.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #455 on: 02 August 2018, 23:23:11 »
Ah, I see.

I answered a few questions and at one point the chat got crazy and I couldn’t scroll up to find more questions, so I just stopped.

There are no plans for dedicated ATOW products, but you’ll still see it supported by just about everything we put out.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #456 on: 03 August 2018, 06:23:06 »
Shattered Fortress is suppose to come out today on PDF right? 8/3/2018
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #457 on: 03 August 2018, 06:28:53 »
It's coming out as soon as they can get it up on the site. They've been managing some last minute release things. I hope it comes out today. Been a long five years. :)

RomulusDC

• Corporal
« Reply #458 on: 03 August 2018, 09:22:44 »
So what was the general summary of the Battletech talk? I’m confused by the earlier statements. Is the print line on hold to reorganize the IP?

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #459 on: 03 August 2018, 09:25:45 »
So what was the general summary of the Battletech talk? I’m confused by the earlier statements. Is the print line on hold to reorganize the IP?

I don't think that was what they meant. My guess is that they want steady releases not bulk release as now (2 novellas + sourcebook).
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #460 on: 03 August 2018, 09:43:40 »

the primary focus seems to be to get the entry-level staples (box set, maps, compilation mech-only TROs etc). Other products will continue to be released (eg shattered fortress) but the main task is creating a sustainable base that allows new players a firm entry point.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

RomulusDC

• Corporal
« Reply #461 on: 03 August 2018, 10:38:15 »
Any idea how many more story line products are in the works as opposed to redoing TRO’s. I’m kind of hoping the story arc will start chugging along now.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #462 on: 03 August 2018, 11:05:12 »
I'm not fan of era named TROs.  I know the serial years are numerous, but still like my TROs with year it referring to.  I hope it not going to be the norm.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #463 on: 03 August 2018, 11:20:57 »
I'm not fan of era named TROs.  I know the serial years are numerous, but still like my TROs with year it referring to.  I hope it not going to be the norm.

Hard to say. It depends on whether they're trying to create new 'mechs only' paradigm products across the timeline or cutting off their periodization at ca 3060.

With the civil war 'era' only encompassing five years, I could see them either a) grouping '60 and '67 (as bosch suggested they might upthread or b) grouping '67 / '75 / project phoenix / possibly '85 in a post-great refusal to republic volume. I could also see grouping '85 / Prototypes / 3145/50 into two volumes since a lot of the 45/50 units have intro dates pre-3100.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #464 on: 03 August 2018, 11:22:36 »
I think I would find it easier, if I were a newer customer, to find by era rather than by year.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #465 on: 03 August 2018, 11:29:06 »
I think I would find it easier, if I were a newer customer, to find by era rather than by year.

Absolutely agree.

TRO: Clan Invasion sounds way more interesting and important than TRO: NumberNumberNumberNumber
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #466 on: 03 August 2018, 11:47:07 »
It also remains to be seen that an ongoing storyline is going to continue being a part of the BattleTech franchise.

Since it's been 5 years since we had the storyline advance, maybe it's not so hard to imagine afterall.

Heck maybe I don't need to worry about how an ilClan doesn't end BattleTech's story because playing "retro" games in pre-ilClan eras is all that's ever going to be.  Era names for supporting SBs makes a ton of sense for that.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #467 on: 03 August 2018, 11:52:06 »
Any idea how many more story line products are in the works as opposed to redoing TRO’s. I’m kind of hoping the story arc will start chugging along now.

They stated ilClan for next year.
Fiction releases between now and then.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #468 on: 03 August 2018, 11:57:07 »
That is brilliant news.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #469 on: 03 August 2018, 13:01:57 »
Absolutely agree.

TRO: Clan Invasion sounds way more interesting and important than TRO: NumberNumberNumberNumber
Sigh, it feels more like dumbing down the TROs to me. I'm minority in this view.  Keep it Simple for the new players.

Sense time is another factor makes Battletech stand out more vs it's another war scifi thing.  Which most are stuck in some sort of fixed period storyline forever.

I look forward to see Fortress, hopefully it will be out soon.

I haven't seen anything yet, but i get feeling from the index actually IllClan stuff hasn't happened in the book.  TRO:3150 doesn't mention anything about that either.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #470 on: 03 August 2018, 13:31:54 »
Sigh, it feels more like dumbing down the TROs to me. I'm minority in this view.  Keep it Simple for the new players.

When people complain about the old players having a "gatekeeper" attitude, this is exactly what they're talking about. Keeping things confusing is not "smarter." Streamlining the products - not counting TR: Succession Wars, there are eleven active Technical Readouts - is not "dumbing down" anything.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #471 on: 03 August 2018, 13:37:14 »

Sense time is another factor makes Battletech stand out more vs it's another war scifi thing.  Which most are stuck in some sort of fixed period storyline forever.

I think there is a not-so-subtle line between over-simplifying the game and revising book titles to attract new players.

Don't get me wrong, from an in-universe perspective, TRO:3050 makes PERFECT sense.  From a this-is-a-boardgame-and-it-needs-to-attract-new-players perspective, though, what sounds more exciting, TRO: Scary Sounding Event, or TRO: Meaningless Without Context Number?   
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #472 on: 03 August 2018, 13:44:51 »
When people complain about the old players having a "gatekeeper" attitude, this is exactly what they're talking about. Keeping things confusing is not "smarter." Streamlining the products - not counting TR: Succession Wars, there are eleven active Technical Readouts - is not "dumbing down" anything.

This, so much this.  With the BT timeline alredy divided into multiple Eras.  It makes the new gamer find the task easier.  Want to play Clan invasion?  TR Clan invastion  Want to play Civil War, TR civil war. 

Want to get into the minutia of what might be available when?  MUL and year TROs.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #473 on: 03 August 2018, 13:51:05 »
I also thinking making TRO's with battle names is good.

Especially since there is a population of players (MWO players) that have experienced those same Era's as expansions. Clan Invasion. Civil War.

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #474 on: 03 August 2018, 19:14:22 »
I have all the TROs in dead-tree format up through 3085; having the contents of those condensed into books specific to a major in universe event is nice.

I actually got the PDF of TRO succession wars based on that, and the fact that it included a lot of content that was spread across other books was nice.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #475 on: 03 August 2018, 20:15:03 »
I'll up vote another compilation TRO. While it doesn't have much appeal to vets who already have a BTU library, it's a great convenience to those who don't have the cash to buy a half dozen TRO's for the designs in their favorite book. I remember a buddy of mine traded in two mini's he got for Christmas because he had no idea what they were then immediately started kicking himself once he final got the stats.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #476 on: 03 August 2018, 20:52:14 »
I'd love a true Omnibus TRO.

No, not one about people movers that can easily swap equipment.

A Digital-Only product, one that comes with every mech and recordsheet released to date.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #477 on: 03 August 2018, 21:16:44 »
I’ve been messing around with making an omnibus record sheet pdf. Opening it makes my computer sad. I can’t imagine adding the thousands of TRO pages as well

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #478 on: 03 August 2018, 21:19:06 »
I'd love a true Omnibus TRO.

No, not one about people movers that can easily swap equipment.

A Digital-Only product, one that comes with every mech and recordsheet released to date.

It'd have to be multiple files in a compressed folder - you do NOT want to deal with 2GB PDFs, trust me - but yeah, I could see that.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #479 on: 03 August 2018, 21:54:22 »
Technical Readout: Civil War
Technical Readout: Jihad
Technical Readout: Dark Age

Versus

Technical Readout: 3060
Technical Readout: 3067
Technical Readout: 3075
Technical Readout: Prototypes
Technical Readout: 3085
Technical Readout: 3145
Technical Readout: 3150

Even as an active and involved player who knows most of the stuff in all of those volumes by rote, the era names sound significantly cooler.

My TRO pipe dream is to also get XTROs by era to complete the line.  Maybe "pipe dream" is still being too hopeful on that one. ;D
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.