Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 198601 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
A bloodhouse will have a max of 25 bloodnamed warriors in it. Having something like 200 active warriors is reasonable, but each bloodhouse is limited to 25 bloodnames, unless it's lost some in reavings.

Whoops, jumbled that up then.

I still wouldn't fancy having to fight up to 25 warriors who object to my being preposterous though.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Ascension

• Corporal
  • Asker of Questions
Whoops, jumbled that up then.

I still wouldn't fancy having to fight up to 25 warriors who object to my being preposterous though.

If it became a whole-Clan political issue rather than just a Bloodhouse issue, too, the odds could get even worse. There were other issues at foot (primarily Ter Roshak's deception and Aidan's retesting), but it was a vote of nearly half the Falcons' Bloodnamed warriors (all those who could attend) that set the odds for the Refusal Aidan had to fight before challenging for his Bloodname. Only Ter Roshak's political connections managed to bring those down to a survivable three-to-one.

Piss off too much of your Clan and you'd basically just be sending out the invitation to your own Annihilation.

Of course, the inverse is equally true: Have enough friends (or friends in high enough places), and you should be fine. It's possible that, as Khan, Alaric has managed to inculcate enough loyalty to his own person among the warriors of the Wolf Empire to survive the revelation of his true status... but then again, maybe not.

I think it could make for some thrilling fiction either way. (Since even if the Wolves support him, it'd leave him massively vulnerable to protest from other Clans).

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Correct, and since he interacted with Katherine on a regular basis, calling her "mother" was probably more of a way to refer to her in a way that would make sense to her.

I believe she insisted on it.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
It won't come up. Clan Wolf wants him to be a Ward. The Wards want him to be a Ward. If he decided he had been a Kerensky they would have jumped at that too.

He took them out from a rock and a hard place and delivered them to glory. He is more Emperor than Khan and probably dangerously close to being messianic to them.

Auberan

• Corporal
(That also begs the question of who had the clout to force the Ward bloodhouse to accept Alaric's claim.  If it took someone of Ulric's stature to allow freeborn Phelan to compete with good Ward genes, who had even more power to allow trueborn Alaric to compete with no Ward genes?)

The books make it pretty clear that the Ironborn Sibko that Alaric came from, was some sort of experiment originally initiated by Vlad. His status as part of the Ward Bloodhouse is also "Vlad's deception".

The sense I got was that his claim as a Ward has existed since before he was decanted, whether there are some markers in his DNA that indicate it or if it's just a paper trail, House Ward has always had him as a member of their bloodline.

More than likely the loremaster never went against Alaric openly because of the fear that Alaric would win a trial of refusal, and how the deception would taint the Ward Bloodhouse and the line, as he was also a Ward.

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
Hello fellow Wolves,just checking in to see if we are all still alive.I see the IlClan Sourcebook has not came out yet any news?Stay Strong they haven't killed us all yet!

Fletch

• Captain
It appears from anecdotes picked up here and there that IlClan has been shelved and original plans past 3145 Era Report torpedoed.

Move along, nothing to see here.  All hype about Wolves taking Terra can now be ignored.

SteveRestless

• Major
I'm not sure we can draw that conclusion at all. I think all we can conclude is that they're being absolutely silent about what is going on.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

DarthRads

• Captain
  • Trust me...I'm the Doctor...
It appears from anecdotes picked up here and there that IlClan has been shelved and original plans past 3145 Era Report torpedoed.

Move along, nothing to see here.  All hype about Wolves taking Terra can now be ignored.

It's still on coming release page

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
The delay in IlClan is fine, it lets Wolf players amass huge armies of Wolf minis to be properly painted up so that we can go to the table and start hitting the Republic.

Personally I am working on a Blood Reaper and sitting here staring at a Tundra Wolf that is being a pain since its a tiny nub from the foot on the base plate to the leg.  Otherwise the Tundra Wolf mini looks pretty easy though I am not sure I think it translated well from the MWDA figure.  I might paint one up as a Steel Wolf machine for fun since I have another in a blister, other wise it will be in camo to be part of a 'generic' set.

The Reaper on the other hand is pretty easy to put together, just trying to decide what I want to do with the missile bay covers.  The art makes it look like the slide up, I am thinking about popping open to the outside.  Right now the Blood Reaper is the MotW so go check in on the topic with what you think.

Anyone look at the map from FM3145 and start planning the invasion waves?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
 It has had the opposite effect on me,I have looked and have stated other systems.I Love Battletech but if they kill Clan Wolf/Wolf Empire off I dont want to be another Jaguar player living in the past as the corpses of our Clan Rots in the grave or lingers in some pretend way.I'll wait for the book and hope I will be playing Battletech for a long time.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
Alaric Ward has a fanatical following among Clan Wolf warriors due to his exploits in the Steiner invasion.  And I would guess that it's public knowledge (yet not the truth) that one of his geneparents was Vlad Ward, giving him access to the Ward bloodname.

Kitsune413 said it much better than I ever could though.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
The delay in IlClan is fine, it lets Wolf players amass huge armies of Wolf minis to be properly painted up so that we can go to the table and start hitting the Republic.

Personally I am working on a Blood Reaper and sitting here staring at a Tundra Wolf that is being a pain since its a tiny nub from the foot on the base plate to the leg.  Otherwise the Tundra Wolf mini looks pretty easy though I am not sure I think it translated well from the MWDA figure.  I might paint one up as a Steel Wolf machine for fun since I have another in a blister, other wise it will be in camo to be part of a 'generic' set.

The Reaper on the other hand is pretty easy to put together, just trying to decide what I want to do with the missile bay covers.  The art makes it look like the slide up, I am thinking about popping open to the outside.  Right now the Blood Reaper is the MotW so go check in on the topic with what you think.

I just assembled and primed a Tundra Wolf, I ended up drilling and using a brass pin in the footbase-to-leg connection. I didn't want to trust that nub. I'm planning to get another Tundra Wolf to convert into a "4"-version. Trying to decide on a Wolf paint scheme now. It's down to Beta Galaxy or maybe 'generic' grey.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
I have planned stars or binaries- probably trinaries when I get all the Elementals set up- in unit schemes and then have a collection of more generic Clan equipment painted in camo shemes.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
That sounds wise. I have a Marauder IIC in Beta Galaxy scheme for a test, and I'd like to get some decals from Fighting Piranha. I think I could make a whole Trinary for the Wolves out of what I have primed.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
It has had the opposite effect on me,I have looked and have stated other systems.I Love Battletech but if they kill Clan Wolf/Wolf Empire off I dont want to be another Jaguar player living in the past as the corpses of our Clan Rots in the grave or lingers in some pretend way.I'll wait for the book and hope I will be playing Battletech for a long time.

I don't think they'll kill the Wolves off. That's like CGL bankrupting themselves by alienating a major portion of their customers.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan

I might be alone in this, but I think the Fidelis are much more interesting than the Jaguars.

Lets hope we don't lose them again.

SteveRestless

• Major
The delay in IlClan is fine

Well, in my opinion the delay is ridiculous. I doubt that surprises anyone. But I think that it's a little shortsighted to focus on just IlClan now that we know about the Milestones books. What I'm waiting for, what I have lost all patience in this long march towards, is not just IlClan, but simply for the plot to move forward. Any book that does that, has my dollar.

Not quite. What I had done is go sifting through every scrap of information that TRO 3150 gives us, trying to scry and infer the fortress-down event from dates and actions given in the book. It's PROBABLY past 3148, because TRO 3150 gives us this under the Juliano

Quote from: TRO 3150 Juliano Notable Units
During a lull in 3148, the Red Keshik challenged the First Free World Guards for Jumpship Repair Services at the illium Shipyards of Ionus

And if there was a major action going on, if the Clan were striving towards Terra I doubt that such a period would be referred to as a "lull"

And we know the fortress walls are down no later than January 21st 3150, thanks to the date of the foreward written by Tucker Harwell

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Well . . . ilClan being delayed is no surprise- I like getting the Classics back which cannot happen soon enough.  Its also delayed IMO because the cashing in on Alpha Strike . . . for all the 'we are not abandoning old table top' they are pushing Alpha Strike and publishing the books for bringing that game to 3050.  I mean we had the time jump discussion where they talked about leaping forward with simplified tech base & weapons . . . well, we did not leap forward but they are producing material linked to a faster simplified game.  I think its the future for the franchise they have chosen to run with . . .

. . . on the flip side, has anyone filled the spot Herb vacated?  Not having someone at the helm could be another reason we are not really moving ahead on the timeline as they do not want to commit to a future when that person may go another route or adjust it for their vision.
Colt Ward

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
It's been pointed out before that starting a new era from scratch is something that CGL hasn't done before, and that they don't own the property. The profitability of Battletech is another factor (and not a new one), so can you fault them for spending their time and money on completing the core rulebooks that started over a decade ago instead of starting a brand new setting that may not appeal to everyone?

Because of how the rules work, Alpha Strike would've been the perfect opportunity for new Dark Age products. But Clan Invasion syncs up with MWO, other established products and expectations, and the rules for Total Warfare in that era are easier for new players.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
Well, in my opinion the delay is ridiculous. I doubt that surprises anyone. But I think that it's a little shortsighted to focus on just IlClan now that we know about the Milestones books. What I'm waiting for, what I have lost all patience in this long march towards, is not just IlClan, but simply for the plot to move forward. Any book that does that, has my dollar.

I second your opinion. The dragging of tidbits of information has been going on for far too long.

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
 [watch] And waiting.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
Maybe GW bought CGL and introduced the "not moving the plot forward" model  ;D

SteveRestless

• Major
Since this is getting a bit less than wolf related, let us swing back around to something more lupine.

We have recently seen the medium omni gap in our production filled with a new design, the Skinwalker. Have any of you had a chance to use it yet? What did you think of it's performance? What mech(s) do you like partnering it with?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
I had a Ryoken III show up in a game recently. It ate a Gauss Rifle to the head from an RAF Doloire early in the battle.

That told me that it can't take a Gauss Rifle to the head.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2016, 16:51:41 by Deadborder »
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

SteveRestless

• Major
Well that merely puts it in the company of nearly every other mech in existence.

I could swear though, that being armored in Ferro Lamellor ought to atleast give it a chance of taking one on the chin like that.

(Wait, nope, 1 point off of every 5pts. that's still 12 in the head, nm)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Yeah, a full on hardened head is the only way to survive.
Colt Ward

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Yeah, a full on hardened head is the only way to survive.
Or go to the super-heavy ranks. Or a torso-mounted cockpit.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
Perhaps IlClan is being delayed because the PTB are no longer certain that they want to take the storyline in the direction of Clan Wolf conquering Terra.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

SteveRestless

• Major
I think at this point it's more about a bunch of succession wars navel gazing.

Register