Author Topic: Creating statues  (Read 1089 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Creating statues
« on: 22 June 2023, 16:01:19 »

I have a few generic army figures I picked up- one I think was actually modeled on McArthur- that I want to turn into statues to go outside buildings and in parks for urban battles.  I bought a bronze paint.  But how do you get the patina on the bronze to make it aged/weathered/exposed?  I thought about using a stain to go over the outside, it would darken the shine some and really darken the recesses but I am not sure that is the best method.

Anyone make statues to go on the table?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
Re: Creating statues
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2023, 20:58:44 »
Yeah! Very good usage of generic figures, I have done a couple statues for 6mm including an old IWM Panther sculpt and a Reaper Chronoscope figure. For the bronze, I was pretty happy with taking a bluish-green and really watering it down to wash consistency before painting one coat all over and then a second coat focused on recesses and undersides. If you image how water would collect, pool, and flow over your 'statue,' that will inform where you'd want to put the most effort. I also had value in using a brownish-green wash for the base to hint at mossy grime.

Oh, also some white spatter on the head/shoulders/upper surfaces. Birds be poopin' everywhere they can perch, and that was one thing that stuck out to me looking at example pics of statues.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Register