Author Topic: Favorite pocket warship?  (Read 3539 times)

Redlord320

• Recruit
Favorite pocket warship?
« on: 21 June 2020, 17:13:39 »
What is your favorite pocket warship?

Minemech

• Captain
Re: Favorite pocket warship?
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2020, 18:45:26 »
 The Leopard
 I did not claim to like a great one.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2020, 19:22:26 »
Something of a tie between the Interdictor and the Tiamat.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2020, 20:21:53 »
The Gorgon. It's a great utility dropship

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2020, 21:45:55 »
Love the Interdictor, but also have a soft spot for the Leopard PWS because the art is so cool and the deployment history in the TRO inspired me to run a marine boarding and capture scenario in MM that was lots of fun.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2020, 22:03:07 »
I know its not the "best" PWS, but I've always liked the "Original" PWS,  the Overlord-A3

Its fast, its well armored, its got small detachments of Fighters & BA-Marines.

Sure it lacks the firepower of those monstrosities 2-4x its size, but, it makes up for it in being based on a semi-common design that is probably able to be produced in larger #s than those other beasties.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2020, 22:22:31 »
Vidar. Only AA platform in the game.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2020, 04:22:53 »
Vidar. Only AA platform in the game.

Isn’t that a tank? Do you mean the Vanir?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2020, 06:25:25 »
That is more embarrassing than you could possibly imagine.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2020, 07:48:33 »
Castrum, since i like big warship-like boats. That ain't no lie.  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2020, 15:25:31 »
I really like the Lung Wang P2.

Keep in mind, in my head I keep drawing comparisons between it and the Rocinante from The Expanse.

Above that though it checks a lot of boxes for me. I hate that most spheroid dropships are flying balls (The Overlord looks good, the rest look totally uninteresting to me). But that notion of what a Spheroid dropship is (with "up" being toward the nose) just fits the gravity reality of spaceflight in this universe. Aerodynes in space often look awesome but are functionally weird. Most of the time flying around on their "invisible" underbelly transit drive like they are laying on the floor of an elevator going up, until everyone straps in, you fire up the maneuvering drive and then it flies like a fighter. That pivot is strange to me and very inefficient. I've tried portraying it in fan fiction/RPG games and it's odd.

Warships properly figured this out, but most aerodynes haven't. A handful like the Avenger/Achilles/Vengeance situate their decks differently and are the exception.

Then there's the Lung Wang P2. A spheroid that doesn't look like one. Looks like a warship in the art style of BT warships, but scaled down, and the decks and "up" are facing the right way.

I also like its capabilities as a brawler PWS with some fighters and marines. If you added some AMS and a small craft bay it would be next to perfect in my eyes.

Yeah the dimensions aspect of the TRO make zero sense. But I love everything else.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2020, 15:45:20 by Alan Grant »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2020, 17:49:24 »
Id go Castrum too
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2020, 18:58:27 »
Castrum, since i like big warship-like boats. That ain't no lie.  ;D

So big we can just park one of the bastards on our border and the Cappies get so scared they agree to a “no warships fight”...

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2020, 22:37:07 »
Mule Q-Ship
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Onion2112

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 23 June 2020, 07:01:23 »
Conquistador-PWS (Blockade Runner) for me - basically a very powerful
assault carrier.

Annwn

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 30 July 2020, 03:44:20 »
I love the Intruder PWS   ;D  - sorry, only Jellico gets that comment. 

I'm going to have to echo Alan - the Lung Wang P2 is pretty great.  Funny, I never thought of it as being like the Rocinante, but I see it now.  I just feel like it was a great little PWS design based on an already great dropship design.  It's perfect for the intended role.
« Last Edit: 30 July 2020, 03:46:01 by Annwn »

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 05 August 2020, 11:13:31 »
I love the Intruder PWS   ;D  - sorry, only Jellico gets that comment. 
It is cruel to post such a hook, and leave it unattended.

Annwn

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 06 August 2020, 05:30:51 »
It is cruel to post such a hook, and leave it unattended.

Sadly, not much of a hook - just hope and a dream.  I backed the Kickstarter and maxed out the canon character(s) for two dropship captains/a dropship unit submission.  I'm a fan of aerospace and I felt like the universe features too few dropship units (and even then they are typically just doing transport duty or falling apart around characters) and wanted to help remedy that with a (hopefully) somewhat unique submission.  I spent too much time as a kid pouring over TRO 3057, Battlespace, and all the pre-jihad FM's to not want to take the opportunity to be a part of Battletech's aerospace canon.  The concept/unit is pretty flexible in where it can fit into in-universe with whichever one of my favorite faction(s) a writer/designer fancies it fitting into.

With that in mind, I wanted a dropship design that fit my unit submission and I wanted it to be modern.  There weren't a ton of great options, so I reached out to Jellico for his help with a design based on upgrading an existing design with a focus on having an in-universe friendly loadout (ie realistic, not a forum min/max design) that met my canon character fluff - and he was kind enough to distill the appropriate parts of my general wishlist/likes into a design suggestion.  By now it should be obvious that the resulting design he suggested & specced was an Intruder update.  The existing Intruder, as he pointed out, fit my desired mission profile/role very closely as a platform - and it's not been updated since 3056 - so it was perfect.  The update is a pretty nice evolution of the existing Intruder IMO - Jellico did a great job and you'd have a really hard time linking the design decisions to my fluff. 

I have no idea if Catalyst would even accept such a design submission to go with the canon character stuff, but it will be there just in case.  As I said, not much of a hook, more just me being appreciative to Jellico.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2020, 07:24:51 by Annwn »

Frank

• Master Sergeant
  • The True Holders Of Kerensky's Legecy
« Reply #18 on: 15 September 2020, 22:18:02 »
Conquistador-PWS (Blockade Runner) for me - basically a very powerful
assault carrier.

Same with me. My favorite PWS.

Register