Author Topic: TSM - Why isn't it more common?  (Read 7196 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
Re: TSM - Why isn't it more common?
« Reply #30 on: 27 December 2017, 20:33:22 »
I did a little digging in Megamech Lab and found something interesting.  There are 151 mechs with TSM in MM.  4 of them have melee weapons that aren't affected by TSM. 

67 of them carried various melee weapons, including vibroblades, which can be used in as regular swords.

80 of them carried NO melee weapons. I haven't delved deeper into that subset but I was seeing a lot Stealth armor, and a lot of C3i, suggesting Capellan and/or WoB designs.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 28 December 2017, 01:26:34 »
TSM isn't always there to provide a bonus to melee damage. Sometimes its there to take advantage of alleviate some of the downsides of a high-heat curve, like loss of movement. Or atleast that's sort of what seems to be the case sometimes.

The Project Phoenix Raijins and Grand Crusader IIs are such designs it seems. I'm not really sure its effective, but they don't come across as "Okay, I'm designed to ride this heat curve so I can beat up another mech." Rather they come across as "I expect to overheat, and so this might help a little bit."

The Ebony is in a similar boat. With its Stealth Armor and ERLL, you don't want it getting in close to melee, but with its weaponry, you want the TSM to kick in and negate any movement mods that might come u from a screw up on your heat curve, or if you get hit by heat-producing weaponry.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #32 on: 28 December 2017, 06:40:12 »
Also remember anything 60 tons or over with TSM active gets a pair of decapitating punches - see the Ostsol 8M. With a boosted speed of 7/11 and a suite of close range energy weapons for managing heat, it’s more than an idle threat

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Register