Author Topic: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom  (Read 126088 times)

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
Re: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom
« Reply #120 on: 15 November 2017, 15:36:16 »
Hail, trothkin. How goes the good fight in my absence? Glassed any Adders recently? I trust you've kept my perch warm.

Always, trothkin. Good to see you back again from the Void.
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Terrordactyl

• Corporal
« Reply #121 on: 07 December 2017, 13:35:31 »
Here's an obvious question for this thread:

What are your favourite aerospace units for providing ground support?

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #122 on: 07 December 2017, 18:13:20 »
Leviathan II Class Battleships, of course.   >:D  (You did say aerospace units right?)
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Terrordactyl

• Corporal
« Reply #123 on: 07 December 2017, 18:46:06 »
Sure, vaporizing the ground in question can count as ground support.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #124 on: 07 December 2017, 19:23:10 »
I see your Leviathan II and raise you Galaxies of Corax C's!

Corax C:  [drool]

EDIT: I'd like to modify my post, please.

Add Titan-Cs and Titan Monitors for overwatch these Corax in motion.

Thank you,
TT
« Last Edit: 07 December 2017, 20:12:17 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #125 on: 07 December 2017, 20:03:27 »
Visigoths, Jagatais, Sabutais and Hydaspes in ye olden days

Coraxes, Lightnings and Wusuns these days
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #126 on: 05 January 2018, 10:06:00 »
Here's an obvious question for this thread:

What are your favourite aerospace units for providing ground support?

I like the tried and true drop a Jengiz on it.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #127 on: 28 January 2018, 14:53:16 »
Howdy Unkindness. Just dropping in to see what's up in the air over here.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #128 on: 28 January 2018, 14:55:55 »
You say this, but all I can picture are Disco Elementals...
Can't go wrong with Disco Elementals.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #129 on: 02 March 2018, 11:24:32 »

There's a Corax C2 in the MUL:

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/4001/corax-c-2

Says it's from TRO: Prototypes, but I don't see any such variant in the book.

Does anyone have the correct source and stats?
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #130 on: 02 March 2018, 11:31:08 »
Well, the Corax C is on page 192 of TRO Prototypes. My guess would be that the C2 refers to the proposed variant in the end of the write-up, which proposes swapping the missiles out for a large laser and armour or a targeting computer.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #131 on: 02 March 2018, 11:45:15 »
Well, the Corax C is on page 192 of TRO Prototypes. My guess would be that the C2 refers to the proposed variant in the end of the write-up, which proposes swapping the missiles out for a large laser and armour or a targeting computer.

Yeah, it actually says "and additional armor, weapons or even a targeting computer could
be added as well," which could be anything.  I was hoping there was something more definitive about what else is added besides the large pulse.  But thanks.  Good to know I wasn't missing something.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #132 on: 14 March 2018, 10:52:24 »
Trothkin, any conjectures as to what the RA does in the upcoming Shattered Fortress?
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #133 on: 14 March 2018, 11:34:53 »
I'm not sure there's any room for the Ravens in the Shattered Fortress Storyline except as a spoiler. FM3145 has them struggling to hold what they got/took from the Draconis Combine and FedSuns, and mention their ground forces being ill-equipped and too small to really handle their duties, much less an expansion of their duties.

So I think their only possible purpose is going to be as a spoiler. If they go heavy against the FedSuns, then that would prevent the FedSuns from helping out the Republic (even more than the clan Invasion). If they go against the Draconis Combine, it will take pressure off the FedSuns, allow them to regroup, and maybe help out the Republic. If they go against both (and that's probably unlikely considering the issues they had in FM3145) then they could take pressure off the FS from the DC and possibly keep both those factions from dealing with the Republic.

So yeah. Not really seeing them playing a direct role in the issue, but depending on where (and if) they jump, they could potentially tie up/free some of the others involved in the fighting.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #134 on: 14 March 2018, 11:50:35 »
Trothkin, any conjectures as to what the RA does in the upcoming Shattered Fortress?
Claims a large number of worlds from the Fed Suns by stabbing the Dracs when they don't expect it.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #135 on: 14 March 2018, 12:04:28 »
Provide fleet support for a surprise Clan attack?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #136 on: 14 March 2018, 13:41:19 »
IF they are not or have not consolidated their position, I doubt they can do anything more than be an annoyance, they may take some more worlds on the fringe, but they would start to come into contact with the Dragoons on the DCMS/FS border. Assuming they haven't been moved. While both the FS and DCMS may be busy now, the RA cannot hope to stand up to either by themselves, much less if they come to an agreement and hit from both sides like the reunification wars all over again, only this time for a reason instead of the pretext of one. RA best bet in the last 10 years would be to crank up the Iron Wombs, really crank them up, not 25 or 50 but thousands per bloodname. Build the Tech, Scientist, Labor and Merchant classes up since they cannot figure out how to integrate with the OA to the point they would work in Raven factories. Of course they should have been doing this for the last 50 years, along with having harvest trials for other clans civies in the IS, all but the GBs would be amenable for the right price. Being in a realm of Amish Luddites isn't helping them at all.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #137 on: 14 March 2018, 16:11:02 »
Provide fleet support for a surprise Clan attack?
That would be my guess.  I also expect invasion against the Combine after an IlClan is declared.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #138 on: 15 March 2018, 00:21:39 »
IF they are not or have not consolidated their position, I doubt they can do anything more than be an annoyance, they may take some more worlds on the fringe, but they would start to come into contact with the Dragoons on the DCMS/FS border. Assuming they haven't been moved. While both the FS and DCMS may be busy now, the RA cannot hope to stand up to either by themselves, much less if they come to an agreement and hit from both sides like the reunification wars all over again, only this time for a reason instead of the pretext of one. RA best bet in the last 10 years would be to crank up the Iron Wombs, really crank them up, not 25 or 50 but thousands per bloodname. Build the Tech, Scientist, Labor and Merchant classes up since they cannot figure out how to integrate with the OA to the point they would work in Raven factories. Of course they should have been doing this for the last 50 years, along with having harvest trials for other clans civies in the IS, all but the GBs would be amenable for the right price. Being in a realm of Amish Luddites isn't helping them at all.

Hmm. Thousands of partially combat trained sociopaths without enough trainers who have been told that they are the best thing ever and the world is their oyster.

I can't see how that could go wrong.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #139 on: 15 March 2018, 11:50:57 »

Pulling out all the stops:

1) Warship support to the Wolves or whoever becomes ilClan in exchange for technology, resources, and/or territory inside the former Republic.  Warships and territory are not mentioned, but there is some technology trade going on between the Wolves and Ravens per the Skinwalker fluff.  The questions are in which direction and in exchange for what?

2) Limited invasion or campaign of raids against the Fedrats to keep them off-balance and less able to assist the Republic during the ilClan's invasion, again in exchange for technology, resources, and/or territory inside the former Republic, on top of whatever the Ravens can take from the FedRats.

3) Subsequent joint operation with Bears sanctioned by the ilClan to squeeze the Snakes on two fronts, securing some more territory for the Ravens.  After the ilClan is declared, I suspect there are multiple Clan versus House campaigns to bring (or attempt to bring) the Houses to heel under the ilClan.  Bears and Ravens against the Snakes is a logical one given the interstellar geography. (If Alaric is ilKhan or remains the Wolf Khan, I imagine he'll want to conquer the FedRats himself given his lineage.)

Going negative:

1) Clan Star Adder and Homeworld friends show up and pound the Ravens into a new Periphery Stone Age.

« Last Edit: 15 March 2018, 11:53:12 by Natasha Kerensky »

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #140 on: 15 March 2018, 11:58:26 »
Kind of curious what the state of RA proto forces are at these days, especially since the Blood Spirits walked off with the entirety of Zeta Galaxy as the Ravens were leaving the Homeworlds. Has something similar to a new Zeta Galaxy been form or are protos units just formed ad hoc these days. Of course, it seems like they produce more or less of the essential designs as they used to (Cecerops, Satyr, Chrysaor, Roc, Gorgon, Minotaur, plus the Hippogriff). Also, anyone used the Arcadia 3088? >:D
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #141 on: 15 March 2018, 12:11:28 »
1) Warship support to the Wolves or whoever becomes ilClan in exchange for technology, resources, and/or territory inside the former Republic.  Warships and territory are not mentioned, but there is some technology trade going on between the Wolves and Ravens per the Skinwalker fluff.  The questions are in which direction and in exchange for what?

Wait, we can cut deals with the ilClan, we don't immediately have to lick their boots?

3) Subsequent joint operation with Bears sanctioned by the ilClan to squeeze the Snakes on two fronts, securing some more territory for the Ravens.  After the ilClan is declared, I suspect there are multiple Clan versus House campaigns to bring (or attempt to bring) the Houses to heel under the ilClan.  Bears and Ravens against the Snakes is a logical one given the interstellar geography. (If Alaric is ilKhan or remains the Wolf Khan, I imagine he'll want to conquer the FedRats himself given his lineage.)

Ah, the good old Bear-Raven sandwich. Love it! Plus the Feddies have enough problems of their own right now that I don't think they'd interfere much.

1) Clan Star Adder and Homeworld friends show up and pound the Ravens into a new Periphery Stone Age.

This is exactly what I am afraid of, because if I was an Adder, I would do exactly that: go after the largest Warship fleet first. Of course on the other hand, Quatre Belle and Dante aside, the RA isn't exactly the best base of operations to take over for the effort involved, plus the Ravens learning from their past mistakes would rather resort to scorched earth than allow the Adders to pluck their eggs from the nest so to speak. Still the damage would be done, and there wouldn't be many factions that I'm that interested in playing if the Ravens bite it...  >:(

Although to be honest, my hunch is that remnants of the Society are hanging out in the old Traders Domain, spinward of the RA because of various cryptic comments in WoR plus Ben Rome's original WoR draft. Of course, if that's true, then that's likely to bring down the Adder banhammer even harder
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #142 on: 15 March 2018, 14:02:31 »
I kinda hope the Ravens have another 7-8 clusters (and maybe a regiment or two) hidden out in the wastes somewhere.  Then, at least, they'd have the firepower to actually do stuff.  As much as I'd like to see them do a lot of interacting with the setting, with them as-is, they don't seem to have the ability to much more than serve as an addition to some other power.  And at least with joining a Wolf ilclan, they may keep their identity.

Re - ProtoMechs: They seem to be in use in fairly high amounts.  They were used in some of their assaults on Feddie worlds.  I suspect they replace roughly a trinary of 'mechs in each cluster, but there's no specific evidence for this.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #143 on: 15 March 2018, 20:43:23 »
Wait, we can cut deals with the ilClan, we don't immediately have to lick their boots?

I think the key is to cut deals with the right candidate for the ilClan before they become the ilClan.

That and those Raven warships are a negotiating trump card in their own right.

Also, maybe the outrages of crazy Malvina and the rabid Falcons will become a unifying force for inter-Clan coordination/cooperation.

Ah, the good old Bear-Raven sandwich.

The Snakes are the only House sandwiched between two allied Clans, so it seems natural.

Like the FedRats, I suspect the Elsies will become an object of Alaric's attention whether he's ilKhan or remains the Wolf Khan.  Maybe the Falcons will assist or maybe they'll be annihilated or exiled first.

The Leaguers or more of their sub-states seem like a natural target for the Foxes or some of their sub-factions.

That leaves the Cappies.  Maybe the Horses get transplanted there, or the Cappies become a rump state after the ilClan takes back the old Terran Hegemony.

I forgot... the wild card that can played in the name of Raven fiat is political machinations.  The FedRats won't fall for it again.  But other Houses or factions might.

This is exactly what I am afraid of, because if I was an Adder, I would do exactly that: go after the largest Warship fleet first.

I personally hope that the Adders and Homeworlders evolve into something other than Operation Revival Mk. II.  But if they must invade, they should just forgo the OZ route and head directly for Terra through unoccupied systems.  There's no indication this will happen, but the Council of Six finding the Homeworlders sitting on Terra after the Wall comes down would be a great twist.  In such an event, I assume the no-holds-barred Aggressors will employ Society computer viruses to sideline any attacking Raven or other Spheroid Clan warships.

Although to be honest, my hunch is that remnants of the Society are hanging out in the old Traders Domain, spinward of the RA because of various cryptic comments in WoR plus Ben Rome's original WoR draft.

Woah... you must start a new thread with the relevant references.  Sounds like a conspiracy theory worthy of discussion.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2018, 16:30:29 by Natasha Kerensky »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #144 on: 17 March 2018, 05:13:19 »
In the fluff about the Levi 3 we learn that the Ravens are apparently building something in the Alliance and their ship building yard is active and working, but on what we don't know. 

I still think that the Leviathan III's fate will be one of two things.

1 - She is destroyed in the yards or shortly after launch by a nuclear device somehow snuck onboard.  Evidence points the device of being Kuritan origin and the Bears go absolutely ballistic and throw troops at the Combine's massively over extended flank.  This helps save the Suns as suddenly ANGRY DOMINION BEARS EVERYWHERE along the Kuritan border and they've not got the forces to slow them down.  (plus they have another Leviathan II still active and in service and there's no counter for her either).

2 - Somehow the folks who will become ilClan win her in a trial of possession that does not escalate too hugely and she leads the assault on the Sol System.

As to what the Ravens are building, I wish we knew :s
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Terrordactyl

• Corporal
« Reply #145 on: 30 March 2018, 13:56:25 »
I am prepping a 900 PV starting force for an Alpha Strike campaign. Interested to hear what you all think about what I've come up with. We can acquire more units in the course of the campaign, and we agreed to allow 10% of our force to be outside of what MUL lists for us, for both faction and Era (we're doing Civil War.) Anything you'd change around? I ran out of PV before I got to thinking about vehicles.

Pack Hunter (Standard)
Horned Owl (Standard)
Grizzly (Standard)
Warhammer IIC (Standard)
Highlander IIC (Standard)
Ice Ferret Prime
Stormcrow Prime
Mad Dog Prime
Timber Wolf Prime
Warhawk C

Roc (Standard) x5
Centaur 2 x5

Salamander BA (Standard) x5
Elemental BA (Flamer) x5

Baskir Prime x5
Sabre SB-27b x5

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #146 on: 31 March 2018, 03:03:34 »
I am prepping a 900 PV starting force for an Alpha Strike campaign. Interested to hear what you all think about what I've come up with. We can acquire more units in the course of the campaign, and we agreed to allow 10% of our force to be outside of what MUL lists for us, for both faction and Era (we're doing Civil War.) Anything you'd change around? I ran out of PV before I got to thinking about vehicles.

Pack Hunter (Standard)
Horned Owl (Standard)
Grizzly (Standard)
Warhammer IIC (Standard)
Ice Ferret Prime
Stormcrow Prime
Mad Dog Prime
Timber Wolf Prime
Warhawk C

Roc (Standard) x5
Centaur 2 x5

Elemental BA (Flamer) x5

Baskir Prime x5
Sabre SB-27b x5

I'd ditch the Pack Hunter for a Baboon 3, Incubus, or Kit Fox H to keep it more Raveny. Otherwise, you've done a pretty good job on keeping the Raven flavor, except for including assault mechs.  ;) Your ground forces actually look... effective! :D

I mean, if it was me, I'd ditch the assault mechs for more heavies and make the entire force move at least 5/8/X, apart from BA, and put the points in even more ASFs, BA and protos. But that's just my play style...
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #147 on: 31 March 2018, 08:51:27 »
How are you planning to move the Battle Armor around?

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #148 on: 31 March 2018, 08:58:56 »
How are you planning to move the Battle Armor around?

Carry them on Omnimechs, of course. You *can* do that in Alpha Strike, right? I wouldn't go with more than 5 points of BA anyway.

When playing Clan, I like to run with Medium and Heavy Mechs, dropping the BA off, and then backing away, using the BA as a screen to stay at range, meanwhile Protos supporting the BA. That kind of thing. ASF bomb/strafe as necessary
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #149 on: 31 March 2018, 09:10:00 »
Pack Hunter (Standard)
Horned Owl (Standard)
Grizzly (Standard)
Warhammer IIC (Standard)
Ice Ferret Prime
Stormcrow Prime
Mad Dog Prime
Timber Wolf Prime
Warhawk C

Roc (Standard) x5
Centaur 2 x5

Elemental BA (Flamer) x5

Baskir Prime x5
Sabre SB-27b x5

I'd run these instead as  Reinforced Star and the rest as a Binary Nova. Yes it includes Aero!
( Do you know anyone else but Raven to use these? My point exactly... )

Warhammer IIC (Standard)
Ice Ferret Prime
Stormcrow Prime
Mad Dog Prime
Timber Wolf Prime
Warhawk C

Roc (Standard) x5
Centaur 2 x5

Elemental BA (Flamer) x5

Baskir Prime x5
Sabre SB-27b x5

Leaving you the Extra PV for upgrades or even more units.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Register