Author Topic: 'Shattered Fortress' release this summer - the timeline advances!  (Read 61807 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: 'Shattered Fortress' release this summer - the timeline advances!
« Reply #120 on: 13 March 2018, 14:06:14 »
Also if the Home Clans swing in to beat up the Inner Sphere I'd like all the characters in game to point out how absurd it is that they're having the exact same problem a second time.
whyever not? that is practically the raison d'etre of the "true" Clans since inception

it would be nice to see how CGL tackles Op Revival 2.0

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #121 on: 13 March 2018, 14:40:06 »
It doesn't need to be a home clan invasion. It could be as simple as the Adders (along with their auxiliaries - the rest of the homeworld clans), pop in en masses to the Terran system, say "hey... we'd like to reach an accommodation.... we'll be your armies, let the Republic become the TH 2.0 and we can form a Star League with the Republic/Hegemony at its head and we'll become the SL Army again. Jobs a good un, no hassle no grief, anyone disagrees we've got a lot of troops to say otherwise".

Reform the SL, reorg all the factions, with Clan Star League Adder as its army, the SL armed forces go skelp some upstarts around, peace in our time, jump a bit in time, as the existing factions have old dying leaders, new leaders have come into the fold ... tensions threaten to break apart the SL....

Reboot the whole danged settings in a believable way. People still have some skin in the game, as their faction wont be *gone* just slightly different.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #122 on: 13 March 2018, 15:55:47 »
That's only believable if you haven't read Wars of Reaving.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #123 on: 13 March 2018, 16:03:12 »
I'm completely convinced that it was a mistake to ever have the individual Clans be treated as discrete factions rather than flavored units of the same "Clan" faction.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #124 on: 13 March 2018, 16:03:59 »
Bring back Clan Punisher!!  Khan Frank Castle for ilKhan!
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

winters_night

• Corporal
« Reply #125 on: 13 March 2018, 17:04:43 »
IlClan means one Clan managed to occupy Terra (or otherwise found a way to lay claim to the title in the usual might-makes-right Clan fashion).
That doesn't neccessarily require the demise of the Republic as a faction to happen, though it doesn't bode well for them.

I imagine it will bode poorly for the Republic, if a clan manages to take Terra I can't see the Republic lasting much longer. ALSO I can't imagine whatever clan took Terra lasting long before the rest of the sphere converges and just beats the snot outta them and liberates Terra again. I'd imagine the Star Adders will hold the title of Ilclan for a brief period before they get annihilated in detail.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #126 on: 13 March 2018, 17:07:52 »
It doesn't need to be a home clan invasion. It could be as simple as the Adders (along with their auxiliaries - the rest of the homeworld clans), pop in en masses to the Terran system, say "hey... we'd like to reach an accommodation.... we'll be your armies, let the Republic become the TH 2.0 and we can form a Star League with the Republic/Hegemony at its head and we'll become the SL Army again. Jobs a good un, no hassle no grief, anyone disagrees we've got a lot of troops to say otherwise".

Reform the SL, reorg all the factions, with Clan Star League Adder as its army, the SL armed forces go skelp some upstarts around, peace in our time, jump a bit in time, as the existing factions have old dying leaders, new leaders have come into the fold ... tensions threaten to break apart the SL....

Reboot the whole danged settings in a believable way. People still have some skin in the game, as their faction wont be *gone* just slightly different.

I know that I play Clan Sea Fox, so this may be unexpected... but... This isn't diplomacytech... I need mechs to shoot. And if those mechs come from an unrecognizable faction I can be sarcastically bigoted against then so much the better.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #127 on: 13 March 2018, 17:47:24 »
Join the free worlds league, where everyone is a potential target!

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #128 on: 13 March 2018, 20:32:10 »
I want Terra DEAD.  It's time for the "successor" states to start looking outwards rather than continue to rehash the same battle over and over and over and ...

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #129 on: 13 March 2018, 20:33:35 »
I want Terra DEAD.  It's time for the "successor" states to start looking outwards rather than continue to rehash the same battle over and over and over and ...

But that's history... always doomed to repeat itself.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #130 on: 13 March 2018, 21:05:49 »
I'm completely convinced that it was a mistake to ever have the individual Clans be treated as discrete factions rather than flavored units of the same "Clan" faction.

Agreed. You can see that each clan had a particular role.  I see the same problem in a lot of depicted Clan Galaxies, too, and how they're stationed. I recall a Wolf Galaxy in the source book made completely of elementals stationed on one world, and a galaxy dedicated to aerospace on another.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #131 on: 13 March 2018, 22:28:18 »
I was pretty happy when the ghost bears and FRR merged. Two of my favorite wintry factions smooshed together like peanut butter and jelly. If they had managed to recruit the snow ravens as their fleet arm, I think I may have actually swooned!

While I certainly have factions I enjoy that have been around for various large fractions of the games lifetime, there have been enough others that have come and gone without ruining my fun that I don’t worry as much about it these days. As long as it makes sense, tells a good story, and improves the game, I don’t think there is any faction whose death would push me away from the game. I may gripe about it for years, but I’ll still play. I’m not saying I WANT the fedsuns and ghost bears (my favorite IS and clan factions) to get erased, but I’d get over it if they did.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #132 on: 14 March 2018, 01:10:39 »
I'm just one marriage of convenience away from the Draconis Suns...

What? It could happen?

AldanFerrox

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #133 on: 14 March 2018, 01:34:33 »
I'm just one marriage of convenience away from the Draconis Suns...

What? It could happen?

You think that Julian Davion would marry Yori Kurita?
Only in death duty ends

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #134 on: 14 March 2018, 02:12:37 »
The only Davion matchup that hasn't been done yet is Davion-Liao. Victor was pretty profligate in conquering the scionesses of his enemies, the dog.

Julian and Danai, united by a common hate for Caleb... make it so! :D

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #135 on: 14 March 2018, 02:59:21 »
I think several wires are being crossed here. Bosch, Cubby and Kit are all absolutely correct in their last several posts, but it’s easy to think their points are mutually exclusive. They’re not.

There are too many factions. There are. As a tabletop game—as a setting used as a basis for games—there are too many factions. This is a valid, financial, production and storytelling issue. However, the Jihad and other storylines were not built around solving that issue. It’s a matter of focus. FASA expanded that focus too much, which —in my opinion (shared by past and current owners and licensees of the various IPs)—is not conducive to a gaming setting nor for a setting with a living timeline that moves as rapidly as BT’s.
It would probably be more manageable if the unit situation was better, there's the myth (?) about FASA making TRO's because they sold best and both these problems compound themselves (see MUL)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #136 on: 14 March 2018, 07:29:07 »
The only Davion matchup that hasn't been done yet is Davion-Liao.

Sun Tzu's dad was Hanse....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #137 on: 14 March 2018, 08:08:14 »
All the heirs/rulers to the IS Houses are from Hanse :)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #138 on: 14 March 2018, 08:25:03 »
Davion weddings are odd affairs. 

Michael Hasek married Marie Davion (herself the illegitimate product of an affair) and he renamed himself Michael Hasek-Davion.  Looking through the original Davion sourcebook, though, you find a number of his relatives in positions of authority in the Capellan March who also use the name Hasek-Davion. 

Did Marie mass-marry the entire extended Hasek clan?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #139 on: 14 March 2018, 08:36:35 »
Did Marie mass-marry the entire extended Hasek clan?

Well genealogically, it's technically incorrect for Michael's siblings/cousins/etc to adopt the cadet "Hasek-Davion" name.  It should be reserved for his and Marie's offspring (and so on).

Of course, rules are funny things.  Some say they're made to be broken.  And people in the positions of power like nobility of the IS can pretty much do what they want.  And one would presume anyone proudly but "incorrectly" adopting the Hasek-Davion name is in a position to make the implicit decree stick.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #140 on: 14 March 2018, 08:44:22 »
Yup.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #141 on: 14 March 2018, 09:18:19 »

I tend to agree with this. 

"The Clans" could have been a single faction wherein individual Galaxies were either totem-flavored or just generic Warriors of Kerensky.
Or we could have just had fewer of them.  I understand that there were Plans and Plans Within Plans for them and there there were probably very good reasons for suddenly injecting twenty new factions to the game, but that was a lot of New for a game that had previously gotten on with five major players. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #142 on: 14 March 2018, 09:52:30 »
Well, as it stands, we had

Wolf - actually good guys (until this was further split into Good Wolf and Bad Wolf)
Jade Falcon - bad guys we love
Smoke Jaguar - bad guys we love to beat up on
Ghost Bear - the cool good guys
Nova Cat - trippy, kinda dorky good guys who are no longer relevant
Diamond Shark - bad-good guys who can be bought off

and the rest sort of agglutinates together in a mass of kinda-bad guys.

As far as "flavours of Clan" goes we kind of maxed out really at about 6 or so. So yes, 20 was rather stretching it. But more than 1 or 2 flavours was nice to have.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #143 on: 14 March 2018, 10:22:53 »
This is the downside to accomplished authors. They come up with great stories, but don’t give much of a thought to gameplay consequences. 20 clans has given us a pretty rich tapestry of stories...but they suck up a ton of page space to stat out in a more than cursory fashion.

I get the feeling the current crop of management have lived through such problems and are well aware of them when the authors are pitching ideas. So, will Stackpole be allowed to split clan wolf into the timber wolves, were wolves, arctic wolves, and irradiated Russian wolves? Probably not. At this point we have enough factions lying about that authors can politely be asked to pick one of those rather than making a new one.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #144 on: 14 March 2018, 12:29:56 »
i've mentioned before I thought it would have been better for the absorption of clans by other clans during the political century rather than have 17 active at the start of the clan invasion, ten of which were just hanging out in a separate space that pulled attention away from the main setting.

Also, while cool, the field manual series chewed up huge numbers of pages and has proven to be an unsustainable model. Faction guides like that are better served for a universe that does not advance on a timeline or have mostly separate, well-defined eras of play.

This is the downside to accomplished authors. They come up with great stories, but don’t give much of a thought to gameplay consequences. 20 clans has given us a pretty rich tapestry of stories...but they suck up a ton of page space to stat out in a more than cursory fashion.

I get the feeling the current crop of management have lived through such problems and are well aware of them when the authors are pitching ideas. So, will Stackpole be allowed to split clan wolf into the timber wolves, were wolves, arctic wolves, and irradiated Russian wolves? Probably not. At this point we have enough factions lying about that authors can politely be asked to pick one of those rather than making a new one.

clan jaded wolf will be the forces that didn't win the bid to attack terra

I'll see myself out

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #145 on: 14 March 2018, 13:16:09 »

Also, while cool, the field manual series chewed up huge numbers of pages and has proven to be an unsustainable model.

I'm curious how you came to that conclusion?
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #146 on: 14 March 2018, 13:52:20 »
I was speaking to the one faction Fasa 3058-3063 books (typing in between tending to a fussy infant leads to incomplete thoughts).

i prefer the current omnibus format embraced since FM updates

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #147 on: 14 March 2018, 20:32:43 »

Terra is just where the Star League leader sits. Maybe. If you blew up Terra that doesn't mean that the Successor states wouldn't all still be arguing over who rules the galaxy.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #148 on: 14 March 2018, 20:40:12 »
Even though I think everyone agrees that 20 extra factions is a mistake and it was probably just supposed to be a single faction that got out of hand...

We got the Wars of Reaving out of it. So alls well that ends well.

Most of the Clans have been folded into existing entities. Clan Snow Raven + Outworlds Alliance. Clan Ghost Bear + FRR... Nova Cats have moved around a bit. They were the Draconis Combine clan but now they're the Free Worlds League clan with a different title. The Falcons and Hells Horses are at least fairly similar...

Clan Wolf and the Lyrans merged. I'd like to see them do it a second time.

Then the problem is solved, essentially.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #149 on: 14 March 2018, 20:55:15 »
Not just clans that can be consolidated. Could also bring the Taurian Concordat and Calderon Protectorate back together.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Register