Author Topic: How should I...  (Read 3681 times)

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
  • Star Commander Adam Howe
How should I...
« on: 18 May 2012, 13:44:41 »
...go about making a Manei Domini character in AToW?

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: How should I...
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2012, 14:30:47 »
It's covered in detail in Jihad Hot Spots: 3072.    It warns that they're best kept as NPCs unless you have a player that's really dedicated to WoB and the GM wants to let them become one slowly over a long campaign.

I haven't read that far into the book yet, but from skimming that part it looks like you'll need a bunch of rules that are exclusive to that book.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2012, 14:39:07 »
It's covered in detail in Jihad Hot Spots: 3072.    It warns that they're best kept as NPCs unless you have a player that's really dedicated to WoB and the GM wants to let them become one slowly over a long campaign.

I haven't read that far into the book yet, but from skimming that part it looks like you'll need a bunch of rules that are exclusive to that book.

I am using them as an NPC.

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2012, 14:43:16 »
I am looking to create one using AToW, NOt the quickie NPC's from that book.  I want an NPC with some actual meat on the bone that can become a villain for the group that can appear and disappear as needed for plot.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2012, 15:08:55 »
It's not a prefilled character sheet.  It's 10 pages of rules.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2012, 15:15:32 »
It's not a prefilled character sheet.  It's 10 pages of rules.

You're not being very helpful, all I see in that book is a bunch of garbage that means nothing.  What are CP's?  How are they used?

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2012, 15:25:05 »
Quit trying to "build" them and just assing the stats, traits and gear you find appropriate for your campaign.  Building with points is mainly an excercise in fairness when a group of players create characters together.  Trying to do the same for npc's is a very nasty trap for a GM to get caught in as it eliminates your one true advantage which is the unlimited license to shape everything to your needs/whims. 

-Jackmc

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2012, 15:26:38 »
Quit trying to "build" them and just assing the stats, traits and gear you find appropriate for your campaign.  Building with points is mainly an excercise in fairness when a group of players create characters together.  Trying to do the same for npc's is a very nasty trap for a GM to get caught in as it eliminates your one true advantage which is the unlimited license to shape everything to your needs/whims. 

-Jackmc

I build an NPC first then I augment them to fit my needs.

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2012, 15:30:29 »
I build an NPC first then I augment them to fit my needs.

For disposable NPC's such as soldiers and thugs, I do just slap something together.  But for a critical plot element character I want something with more depth.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2012, 15:31:50 »
the rules in JHS: 3072 are designed for Classic BattleTech RPG/Mechwarrior 3rd edition rather than AtoW, but can be converted easily enough if you cross-reference with the prosthetic rules in AtoW.  I believe the full Manei Domini rules for AtoW will appear in Interstellar Ops.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2012, 15:32:53 »
the rules in JHS: 3072 are designed for Classic BattleTech RPG/Mechwarrior 3rd edition rather than AtoW, but can be converted easily enough if you cross-reference with the prosthetic rules in AtoW.  I believe the full Manei Domini rules for AtoW will appear in Interstellar Ops.

I'm just looking for a starting point using life modules for now.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2012, 15:38:24 »
There's nothing along those lines for now.  Your best bet would be to give the character a whole mess of extra XP, build a blakist character, and buy enhancements at a rate of 1CP = 100 XP or so.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2012, 15:40:56 »
There's nothing along those lines for now.  Your best bet would be to give the character a whole mess of extra XP, build a blakist character, and buy enhancements at a rate of 1CP = 100 XP or so.

I was actually thinking that using the intelligence/police options would be a good starting point then augmenting from there.  I'm not really using XP's for this NPC, but I want to use the modules for a template to start with.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2012, 23:38:36 »
I think you're looking in the wrong direction.  What you should be asking yourself is how did this npc get to this point in thier life?

Why did they join WoB?

What are the circumstances surrounding the incident that earned them MD status?  You can't just volunteer, you have to be horribly managled in the line of duty and achieve this mangling in a noteworthy way that displays your devotion to the cause.

How has the NPC handled the psychological trauma associated with the wounds and then the cybernetics?

Is the NPC a die-hard true beleiver or meerly a loyal subject caught up in osmething bigger than they are?

Does the alteration of their bodies, alter their morals as well.  Are methods that were reprehensible before now ok because you're doing them to simple frails rather than other MD?

Answers those and the rest will flow easily.  Ultiamtely you'll find that the game mechancis of the cybernetics is a trivial detail and you'll find yourself just arbitrarily picking ones that fit the plot and the MD's previous military specialty.

-Jackmc