Author Topic: Range for Binoculars...  (Read 1430 times)

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
  • Star Commander Adam Howe
Range for Binoculars...
« on: 11 August 2012, 10:35:18 »
...how do you go about calculating the viewable range/ranges for something like the rangefinder binoculars?

Armitage72

• Sergeant
Re: Range for Binoculars...
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2013, 00:08:25 »
It's been almost five months, but better late than never.  I just stumbled upon the answer in the rule book. 

Rangefinder Binoculars provide a +4 to Perception rolls at Medium, Long, and Extreme Range.
Range modifiers for the Perception skill are in the general Action Check Modifiers table on page 41 of AToW (as opposed to being in the description of the Perception Skill).
Medium Range is 301 to 600 meters, Long Range is 601 to 900 meters, and Extreme Range is over 900 meters.
So Rangefinder Binoculars would give you a total Perception modifier of +2/0/-2 at those three ranges, as opposed to the normal -2/-4/-6.
I guess they don't focus well at short range, since you would have a +1 or 0 bonus at less than 300 meters.

Carcosa

• Private
Re: Range for Binoculars...
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2013, 23:38:54 »
Also you have to figure that in real life, binoculars are not good with more than say 10x magnification because your hand will shake enough to screw up the image. There might be some technology to help compensate for that a little but without a tripod or something to hold them steady I don't think too much more.