Author Topic: Horses armor paradigm  (Read 1342 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Horses armor paradigm
« on: 06 August 2019, 10:35:13 »
We frequently talk about the Clans having mech/weapon paradigms.  The Falcons with their JJ as the prime users of fixed JJ on their own Omnis.  The Jags did Dire Wolves, Warhawks, Mad Dogs, Stormcrows, and Lynx/Cheetahs with heavy ballistics loads for assault.  The Cats are big into ER Lasers, the Scorpions are for pinpoint shooting, Spirits do ERLL, LRM15 & SRMs w/ SFE, Hellions are speedsters, etc.

But what do the Horses do when designing a vehicle?  Athena, Hephasteus, Epona, Enyo & Enyo II, Aithon, Bellona and others originated from the Horses with them being the primary users.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Horses armor paradigm
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2019, 11:16:13 »
I think a lot of horse armor is for infantry support, transport or fire support.  I always saw the Horses deploying faster tanks to flank while heavy slow tanks with too many guns and not enough armor are behind a few mechs.  Elementals or infantry push into the middle and take advantage of the now limited mobility.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2019, 18:15:12 »
Armor itself is the paradigm for the Horses, not necessarily how they design.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2019, 20:19:16 »
I think maybe the broadest generalization you could make about Horse armor design is that they really like pulse lasers.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2019, 21:55:10 »
But what do the Horses do when designing a vehicle?  Athena, Hephasteus, Epona, Enyo & Enyo II, Aithon, Bellona and others originated from the Horses with them being the primary users.

I don’t think there’s a common design thread that can be pulled through those disparate combat vehicles.

That said, Horse combat vehicles do seem more effective and saner than most Clan/Golden Age combat vehicles.  Generally better armor and mobility and more focused and efficient weapons loadouts, especially as time goes on.  The Horses are willing to invest thought and resources into vehicles that other Clans are not.  (It’s probably not a good investment vice the inherent advantages of mechs, but still...)
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2019, 02:25:24 »
Though I would argue that half of that is the Horses being a favourite to assign post TRO3060 armour to.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2019, 10:17:57 »
I think both Jellico & Natasha have solid points- the other Clan commonly assigned sane vehicles would be the Nova Cats, though no indication of them being interested in vehicles before becoming Star League.  Shoden, SM1/2/3, and Joust series were all pretty solid designs that competed with the Horses' being the premier vehicle designers.  I was really wishing the Joust would be built by a different faction before we got details.

To revise what I asked, I think you have to break it down somewhat . . .

Assault/Fire Support armor
Athena, Mars & Mars (XL), Kokou & Kokou (XL)

Cavalry/Strike armor
Epona, Enyo & Enyo II, Bellona, Zephyros, Hephastus Jump

ISV/IFV armor
Aithon, Hephaestus

APC vehicles
Anat, Turhan II?

In general . . . yeah, pulse lasers seem to be a big part which helps offset the typically lower skill of Clan vehicle crews.  I would say that perhaps the Fire Support has a secondary choice of Gauss Rifles.  For the Cav, it might be Streak SRMs- again helps with their ammo efficiency.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register