Author Topic: Choosing a clan  (Read 7826 times)

Mursusquad

• Recruit
Choosing a clan
« on: 16 August 2019, 09:55:33 »
Probably not hard to guess that I've put money down on the Clan Invasion kickstarter and while I am mostly in it for the Inner Sphere mechs, I will be getting the box set and a couple of stars for the clans (at least the Support and Heavy Striker stars). Now that those have been chosen, I am a bit at loss as to which clan to pick for them.

I like narrative games and I'd like to pick a clan that's very aggressive so there's plenty of reasons for the Inner Sphere forces to battle them. At first I thought Smoke Jaguars would be it, but when I read more I found out that they are very dead in the current time line. While this doesn't stop playing historical missions or just gaming in general, I'd like to be able to situate the force across the more recent timelines as well.

So if anyone has any ideas for an aggressive "bad guys" to cast against my Inner Sphere mercenaries/house forces (yet to pick a house to align to), it would be much appreciated.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Choosing a clan
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2019, 11:12:44 »
The top picks for aggressive Clans are the traditional top Clans:

The Jade Falcons are the traditional choice. They're aggressive and successful, yet tend to embody more villainous traits unlike the other invader clans.

The Wolves do become a Crusader Clan (ie "villain") toward the end of the Clan Invasion though, and they are aggressive in their pursuit of war even before that, even if they're not necessarily fighting just for the sake of fighting like the Smoked Kitties and Jade Falcons tend to do.

More thoughts on the others later, maybe.

EDIT The Jade Falcons make several excursions during the Tukayyid Truce and afterwards, and are super-aggressive during the Dark Age. Very villains, yet very alive, though uncertain yet if that holds true later on...
« Last Edit: 16 August 2019, 11:20:03 by Empyrus »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2019, 11:16:13 »
Well, there is dead . . . and then there is Tupac-dead.

The Jaguars were absolutely brutal during the invasion- in battle & out of it.  Until they actually published Bloodnames we had a topic for what they were- I suggested Custer for a Jaguar bloodname (as in George Armstrong).  The Jags are stereotyped as just charging in- and for good reason, since they did it a lot . . . BUT when you are ambushed, depending on type, one of the standard tactics is to charge into & through the ambush so it should be taken with a grain of salt.  On the other hand, the first Clan warrior on Tukayyid was a Jaguar Elemental officer that was involved in the first wave's orbital assault drop.  He was first b/c he overrode his jump jets' breaking programming, so instead of making a hard landing & going into the attack?  He slammed down at less than terminal velocity which is about all that can be said for his 'style.'  A Elemental suit can stand up to a lot of punishment but that doofus was evac'd in the opening stages in a EXTREMELY messed up condition, legs wrecked for sure and maybe his back was broken . . . IIRC he was delirious about his 'accomplishment' when we last see him being bundled off.

As far as timing . . . yeah, you get 10 years of semi-glory during/after the Invasion.  Go out guns shooting and can either decide to becoming part of the Jaguar's band of renegades or slip away with a trio of leaders to transform into the Fidelis . . . who become a Republic special forces.

BUT . . . the Elemental's action typified the Jaguars behavior for Tukayyid . . . they were so sure of victory against the rookie/green ComGuards that when bidding against the other 5 Invaders for the right to go first (b/c he was ilKhan & negotiated the Trial, Ulric & Wolves went last- by several days) that they definitely went below cut down and took a absolutely inadequate number of troops.  Even if they were not Jaguars, fighting as they do, I am not sure Ulric or anyone else could have win with such a small number.  BUT, it could also have been about all they could have realistically fielded to put on a good show- they had been taking constant losses in men & material, and had just gotten stomped pretty hard on Luthien.  Jags were also scavengers of the other Clans- they did not engage in much trade, but lived/prospered off of Trial'ing for what the Clan needed rather than produce it for themselves.

For mech selection you are talking about Dire Wolf, Warhawk, Cauldron Born, Mad Dog, Stormcrow, Arctic Cheetah, and Mist Lynx.  They also had a fair number of allied or rival designs- Turkina, Night Gyr, Summoner, Huntsman, Grendel, later Cougar, and Kit Fox.  They tend to like 'assault' formations & set ups- bring the biggest guns & pound away!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2019, 11:39:51 »
Probably not hard to guess that I've put money down on the Clan Invasion kickstarter and while I am mostly in it for the Inner Sphere mechs, I will be getting the box set and a couple of stars for the clans (at least the Support and Heavy Striker stars). Now that those have been chosen, I am a bit at loss as to which clan to pick for them.

I like narrative games and I'd like to pick a clan that's very aggressive so there's plenty of reasons for the Inner Sphere forces to battle them. At first I thought Smoke Jaguars would be it, but when I read more I found out that they are very dead in the current time line. While this doesn't stop playing historical missions or just gaming in general, I'd like to be able to situate the force across the more recent timelines as well.

So if anyone has any ideas for an aggressive "bad guys" to cast against my Inner Sphere mercenaries/house forces (yet to pick a house to align to), it would be much appreciated.
My first recommendation is pick the Clan that appeals to you the most.  But if you want someone who is "currently alive", I'd recommend Jade Falcon or Clan Wolf. 

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2019, 11:50:01 »
My first recommendation is pick the Clan that appeals to you the most.  But if you want someone who is "currently alive", I'd recommend Jade Falcon or Clan Wolf. 

you have the expansionist wolves and the expansionist, but also cartoonishly villainous falcons. depending on the nature of your assignment you could also run into some horses or the ghost bears / ghost bear dominion / rasalhague dominion (depending on the year)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2019, 11:56:54 »
Well, we are getting a new Falcon character to end Malvina, or take over when the knife she made fulfills its destiny.  With the level of genocide Malvina has participated in, I am not sure she can be called cartoonish- losing to Alaric and always coming thissss close to pulling off her evil plan does give her the Cobra Commander Award for Attempted Villiany, I will agree with that assessment.  But a nihilist who wanted to wipe out everyone when she rules it all and leave a empty universe to Cynthy (at least before the hard 180 of the last book) is not a cartoon.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2019, 12:11:08 »
Basic camo schemes works on all levels as well if you don't want to tie yourself to a single clan.

Also remember, its your game, play as you want.  Canon police won't knock down your door amd take your minis away if you have a Clan Widowmaker Hellstar running around causing havoc in 3150.

Just collect, paint, play and enjoy.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2019, 12:22:16 »
Basic camo schemes works on all levels as well if you don't want to tie yourself to a single clan.

Also remember, its your game, play as you want.  Canon police won't knock down your door amd take your minis away if you have a Clan Widowmaker Hellstar running around causing havoc in 3150.

Just collect, paint, play and enjoy.

With a pilot named Ashanta?
Colt Ward

massey

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2019, 12:25:20 »
There are 7 Clans who participated in the Invasion of the Inner Sphere.  There are a bunch of Clans who stayed in the homeworlds as well, but they wouldn't ever really have much of an opportunity to fight Inner Sphere opponents.

I'm not very familiar with what takes place after the Jihad period (which is like the 3070s), so I can't really help on that.  But here's kind of a rundown of the original seven Clans.  The first four (Jade Falcon, Wolf, Ghost Bear, Smoke Jaguar) attacked during the first year, and the next three (Steel Viper, Nova Cat, Diamond Shark) came in as "backup" later on.

Jade Falcon -- The honorable villain.  They're jerks, but they generally keep their word.  They are aggressive and mean, even for the Clans.  They're always willing to fight, and are one of the strongest Clans around.  While they are bad guys, they aren't really that much worse than some of the Successor States.  Maybe the most interesting Clan, they hate the Wolves and are their chief rival.

Wolf -- The Mary Sue.  They tried to prevent the Invasion in the first place, and when it became inevitable they realized the best way to save the Inner Sphere was to keep the bad guy Clans from reaching Earth first.  They quietly worked against the others during the Invasion.  The most powerful Clan, with some of the best mechs, the best warriors, the best leaders, the best everything.  After the Invasion they have a split where the good guys leave and form their own Clan, and the Wolves left behind become villains, but I stopped paying attention at that point.

Ghost Bear -- The boring Clan.  Slow and steady wins the race.  They are defined by being cautious, and slow to change or take risks until they think everything through.  They are a powerful Clan, and use big fast mechs and lots of Elementals.  But they aren't really that exciting, and don't have as much info written about them as the other original four.

Smoke Jaguar -- The irredeemable villain.  The Jaguars are everything bad about the Clans rolled into one.  They are powerful, not because they are leaders in culture and science (like the Wolves), or economics (like the Falcons), but because they have big badass mechs and they are psychotically aggressive.  They're the Nazis of the setting (and even have the same color scheme).  Sometimes it's fun to play the bad guy though.  Somebody the other day called them Clan Chaotic Stupid, and that's pretty accurate.

Then you've got the three "backup" Clans.

Steel Viper -- Assigned to the Jade Falcon invasion corridor to "assist" after the Falcons had a couple of setbacks, they are a-holes.  They hate the Falcons with a passion, but they're jerks too.  They are Smoke Jaguar-lite, just a lot less successful and with worse Battlemechs.

Nova Cat -- The religious Clan.  They have visions, and smoke peyote and stuff.  They switch sides in the 3060s and team up with the Inner Sphere.  They are assigned to "assist" the Jaguars with their invasion corridor.  Some pretty good mech designs that are specific to their Clan.

Diamond Sharks (aka Sea Foxes) -- Clan Ferengi.  They are merchants, and they sell crap to everybody.  They had an extremely limited role in the initial Invasion, only really appearing in the attack on Tukkayid (which, of course, they lost).  They are more a plot device to let Inner Sphere players purchase Clan equipment than anything else.

Personally, I'd suggest painting up your Clan mechs in camo schemes instead of making them a specific Clan.  There's no reason why Jade Falcon mechs have to be green, or Ghost Bear mechs light gray.  Paint them something generic and you can have them represent any Clan you want.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2019, 12:41:44 »
This is a picture of two Jade Falcons meeting on Sudeten . . .

Wolves get the best mechs?  Gargoyle and Ice Ferret are generally considered to be rather inefficient b/c of their engine sizes for the weight.  They are a bit more complicated than massey makes them out to be, but that is what happens when you are the winner . . . though that was a LONG time ago.  One technical note, the Wardens are the original Clan, the Crusader Wolves are something else.

I would not call the Bears boring, they are just not flashy.  If you like Elementals they are for you.

Vipers are the foils to the Falcons, and yeah . . . you can characterize them as Jaguar-ish, but without the good mechs.

Nova Cats are NOT religious, they ARE spiritualist/mystic . . . they do not smoke peyote, the Coyotes do that for the Clans.  The Cobras are the religious Clan, they even have their religious divisions that are called cloisters.  The Cat's do not have the age bias as bad as most the other Clans.

Sharks . . . they have a split personality in the Invasion.  They are led by a moron who is skilled in the cockpit called Ian Hawker.  He is a Clan traditionalist that is trying to alter his Clan from SHARK traditions.  Since Hawker is a crusading Crusader, he kisses up during the whole invasion to the Falcons & Jaguars- to include dropping up as auxiliaries.  Barbara Sennet is a traditional Shark, and Warden-lite, and knows to the IS will bring an advantage to her Clan even if they do not take worlds.  When Hawker leads the elite galaxies into the ComGuard buzzsaw (and saved by freebirths Hawker hates), Sennet recruits a former warrior turned merchant to help rebuild the Clan.
Colt Ward

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2019, 12:43:23 »
What's you're playing style? That might help match up with a Clan that fits you on the table.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Mursusquad

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2019, 17:43:14 »
There's plenty of valuable info there, so thanks for that! I do think I have settled on Smoke Jaguars after all.

I am quite new player as I got about 5 games played so far with the new beginner and the Armored Combat boxes. My army selections are usually based primarily on the "cool factor" and once I see something I like, I try to do some research on the subject so I know more about the history, organisation and all that. While using camo schemes would make them more universal, what originally sold me on Smoke Jaguars was this paint scheme I found on the Unit Color Compendium site. This plus the described aggression of the clan was the selling point of the Jaguars for me.

And then I found out they were dead, which was a bit of a bummer. Anyhow, someone mentioned that some of the mechs are allied or enemy designs. Now I don't know which designs belong to which clans, but I imagine that I could technically just paint up two different clans. I went Star Colonel in the kickstarter and haven't decided on all the lances/stars I'll be getting so there's a couple boxes left to be decided on, in case something seems like a "must have" for Jaguars.

So what designs do the Smoke Jaguars often use? I did read on Sarna that they were scavengers for part so I imagine they could use practically anything they had stolen off battlefields. If there's something the Jaguars wouldn't use in the star packs, I could use that to start a secondary clan force for later eras. I did a little bit of reading on Jade Falcons and they seemed cool and all in the quick overview, but I don't know if the described psycopath nihilist leader is what I'm really after.

Also on the point of canon police, I do get you can just play. I just like to tie up my games into storylines and histories of the game systems (even if the battles are fictional). It also soothes my roleplayer's heart.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2019, 19:19:41 »
So what designs do the Smoke Jaguars often use? I did read on Sarna that they were scavengers for part so I imagine they could use practically anything they had stolen off battlefields. If there's something the Jaguars wouldn't use in the star packs, I could use that to start a secondary clan force for later eras. I did a little bit of reading on Jade Falcons and they seemed cool and all in the quick overview, but I don't know if the described psycopath nihilist leader is what I'm really after.

Of the original 16 OmniMechs, the Smoked Kitties favor Warhawk, Dire Wolf, Mist Lynx, Stormcrow, and Mad Dog, but all 16 can be found in their ranks. Other noteworthy are the Ebon Jaguar, Arctic Cheetah, and Shadow Cat, though i think they also used Cougars in the short while they had time to use them.
The Master Unit List is helpful in finding what's used by whom, though you can always claim salvage/isorla/trade to justify weirder choices.
http://masterunitlist.info/Era/FactionEraDetails?FactionId=20&EraId=13

The JFs are usually reasonably smart, it is just that Malvina is utterly crazy. Not impossible someone smart replaces her.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2019, 19:30:46 »
In Battletech, pretty much any group can use any mech.  In the early Invasion, Inner Sphere forces didn't use Clan tech, but that changed after a few years.  The Jaguars can use basically any of the mechs in the Kickstarter.

Now, certain factions do tend to use some mechs more than others.  The Jaguars are known to favor certain designs.  And they get a lot of good ones.  As I recall, these are the mechs most commonly associated with the Jags:

Inner Sphere name first, Clan name second

Lights -- Hankyu (Arctic Cheetah), Koshi (Mist Lynx), Puma (Adder -- note: this design is common with all Clans)

Mediums -- Shadow Cat, Ryoken (Stormcrow)

Heavies -- Cauldron-Born (Ebon Jaguar), Vulture (Mad Dog), Loki (Hellbringer -- common to all Clans, being phased out)

Assaults -- Masakari (Warhawk), Daishi (Dire Wolf)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2019, 21:54:00 »
One thing to remember about the Falcons is that their approach to honor is very much Do As I Say, Not As I Do.  They bend or break the rules on a regular basis but they're always the first to raise a stink about anyone else doing it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #15 on: 17 August 2019, 22:32:40 »
Falcon... is not a cartoon.

i'm sorry what

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 18 August 2019, 00:09:40 »
Never saw the cartoon or read that SB, but I doubt the character mused about killing everyone in the universe and leaving it all empty for Cynthy.  Malvina as written has some serious issues that go beyond the typical Clan egomania.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #17 on: 18 August 2019, 00:19:48 »
Yeah, Malvina is nuts beyond even the Smoke Jaguar stereotype, and they're the Clan that got known for burning entire cities in retaliation for minor acts of rebellion.  The Falcons do, however, have a history of overreacting and being rather petty.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #18 on: 18 August 2019, 00:25:39 »
Never saw the cartoon or read that SB, but I doubt the character mused about killing everyone in the universe and leaving it all empty for Cynthy.  Malvina as written has some serious issues that go beyond the typical Clan egomania.

yeah that's the height of cartoonish - "a ludicrously simplistic, unrealistic, or one-dimensional portrayal or version"

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #19 on: 18 August 2019, 00:33:21 »
"Way of the clans" was the first BattleTech novel I read. I too have to recommend looking into Clan Jade Falcon. They have a great sibco program.

A bit obsessed with the BattleTech universe since I saw the glorious TV show as a kid...

My humble offering of painted 'Mechs

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #20 on: 18 August 2019, 00:35:19 »
i yelped  ;D

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #21 on: 18 August 2019, 01:50:49 »
Honestly, during the invasion period most of the OmniMechs are generic enough that you can put any of them in any Clan and it won't be an issue. And between trade, salvage and bragging rights, you can justify just about anything.

My thought: pick what seems to be the most fun to you. There is no "best" faction.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #22 on: 18 August 2019, 01:56:54 »
yeah that's the height of cartoonish - "a ludicrously simplistic, unrealistic, or one-dimensional portrayal or version"

Pretty sure you said you had read the MWDA novels?  I gave the cliff notes of Malvina's desire but how she gets there is a bit more complicated- and even she realizes its not really going to happen.  Predicting her is sort of easy (What is the most bug@#$% nutso thing you can do in this situation?) but her interactions in MWDA books with Cynthy, Bec and even Alaric are a bit more complicated.  IMO she is not a Snidley Whiplash but is pretty evil.
Colt Ward

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 18 August 2019, 03:44:17 »
Also the Smoke Jaguars survived in some form later on as the Fidelis, which are a group of them sworn to serve the Republic of the Sphere which happens in 3085 to 3150 or so.  For future invading clans after the Invasion to the next two big events in the time line (The Fedcom Civil War and the Jihad), you have the following

Clan Hell's Horses-Combined Arms Clan, so you have vehicles and standard infantry in frontline battles along with Mechs and Elementals, attacks Jade Falcon and Clan Wolf occupation zones to gain planets.

Clan Ice Helion-Fast Attack Clan (prefers speed over everything else) attacks Jade Falcons in the Jihad (post 3067), fails to deliver on attacks and is ultimately defeated in battle.  They're the big talkers but no action Clan.

Clan Goliath Scorpion-Invades Periphery near the end of the Jihad (3081) and becomes a Periphery power called the Escorpion Imperio with shoddy resources
They're the historians and religious exploration Clan.

Clan Snow Raven-Aerospace heavy Clan with large Warship Fleet. The Ravens are patient and pick apart their foes over time. They also invade another part of the Periphery and join in alliance with another aerospace power.

Clan Diamond Shark eventually changes their name to Sea Fox and become wandering merchant warriors/mercs with various footholds in the Inner Sphere. 

4 clans survive in the Homeworlds after a huge war called the Wars of Reaving that destroys many of the Clans that don't escape to the Inner Sphere.  These remaining Clans stay out of future developments.

The Nova Cats also stay in the Inner Sphere as part of House Kurita, but are eventually destroyed when they fight against the Ghost Bears and rebel against Kurita in 3140.  Remnants flee to House Marik and the Republic of the Sphere, forming both Nova Cat and a new Clan remnant called the Spirit Cats.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 18 August 2019, 03:57:54 »
So what designs do the Smoke Jaguars often use? I did read on Sarna that they were scavengers for part so I imagine they could use practically anything they had stolen off battlefields. If there's something the Jaguars wouldn't use in the star packs, I could use that to start a secondary clan force for later eras.

Using only archetypal Smoke Jaguar mechs? You might run a star of a Mist Lynx, two Stormcrows, Mad Dog and Warhawk to be perfectly fluffy. An Arctic Cheetah for stand-in light, Nova or Shadowcat instead of Stormcrow, the Mad Dog supplemented by Loki (or later by the Ebon Jaguar) and trade out the Warhawk for a Dire Wolf, still true to Clan Smoke Jaguar's composition.

I did a little bit of reading on Jade Falcons and they seemed cool and all in the quick overview, but I don't know if the described psycopath nihilist leader is what I'm really after.

The psychopath nihilist leader, Malvina Hazen, is a) very late in the BT timeline (she is currently still alive, over a century after the Clan invasion) and b) very much an aberration. Clan Jade Falcon's leadership during the Clan invasion weren't exactly the sort of bosses you'd want to work for but they were nowhere near nihilistic, just opportunistic and hypocritical. Meanwhile, the JF galaxy and cluster commanders were pretty boss.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #25 on: 18 August 2019, 10:50:01 »
Malvina already sparked one near civil war when she took power.  She is building to a second one, b/c things were able to be overlooked when she was winning but has had some set backs.
Colt Ward

Mursusquad

• Recruit
« Reply #26 on: 18 August 2019, 14:11:21 »
Thanks all for all the info!

With everything said here and following the links, I think I should be set for putting together a small clan force of Smoke Jaguars. And then possibly use the remaining ones for another clan so I can have some clan vs clan battles as well.

I counted that I'll be getting 25 mechs in the star packs (Clan Invasion box, Command Star, Heavy Striker Star, Fire Star and Support Star) and a total of 8 salvage boxes with random mechs. Still a little uncertain if the Support Star is a good choice or not.

Anyway, for the Jaguars I think I'll have two stars one with the Dire Wolf and the Other with Warhawk as the "centerpiece" units. Still working on what to accompany them with. Then I think I'll make a third star of more rarer models for Jaguars as a kind of a "salvage star". The rest of the mechs I am not sure what I'll do, maybe paint a couple more Jaguars so I can switch the stars up some or start a secondary, later era clan group or a piratical renegade thing.

Thanks again for the help everyone. I think it's nice to a have a plan for the day when these come through the mail :)

Nemesis

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 18 August 2019, 14:39:14 »
I counted that I'll be getting 25 mechs in the star packs (Clan Invasion box, Command Star, Heavy Striker Star, Fire Star and Support Star) and a total of 8 salvage boxes with random mechs. Still a little uncertain if the Support Star is a good choice or not.
You could always swap the Support for a Heavy, which gives you two of the finest mechs the Clans make even if they are second line, as well as a Hunchie for that warrior that needs to redeem their honor the hard way. The Jags did tend to favor heavier units.

If you want something more useful, maybe a Retaliation to double up on some of the core designs, or a Striker for some great light/medium mechs, though I'm not sure how well that would fit the Jaguar touman.

What you need most will really depend on what's in your salvage boxes, and you won't know that until it's far too late. I hope you're lucky enough to have enough backers near you for a salvage swap meet. ;)
Star Adder, Star Adder, he drives a pitch black Mech
Star Adder, Star Adder, with Heavy Laser tech

(with apologies to Rowan Atkinson)

NutritiousSlop

• Private
« Reply #28 on: 05 September 2019, 12:40:24 »
As others have said, most of the box set 'Mechs as well as the stars are fairly "generic" 'Mechs- we're not getting models used only by one or two clans.  I'm using mine for either a Goliath Scorpion or Cloud Cobra force. 

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #29 on: 07 September 2019, 17:05:21 »
Welcome to Clan Smoke Jaguar!

Since the Jaguars main era is the Clan Invasion, I would suggest you take deadborder's advice not focus too heavily on which 'Mechs to choose. The 3050 Omnis are more of a case of how likely you are to see in a given Clan's Touman vs exclusivity. A stereotypical Jaguar Star might be two Stormcrows, a Warhawk, a Dire Wolf, and an Ebon Jaguar, but you could just as easily swap a Mad Dog, Timber Wolf, Kodiak, Hunchback IIC, Nova Cat, or Night Gyr in for any or all of those designs and you'd still be good. The Jaguars in particular are a great case for all sorts of odds-and-ends winding up in their Touman with their love and need to Trial for resources over the years, and later for recovering from the twin hammer-blows of Luthien and Tukayyid where they would be placing all kinds of machines into service in the process of recovery. 

The Jaguars are infamous for favoring a heavy Touman, but they ran the full spectrum of weight-classes and designs, including lighter units commonly known as Striker formations. These went all the way up to full Clusters, like the 6th Striker on Luzerne. They appeared to have healthy numbers of Elementals throughout the Touman and deployed them accordingly. They get a bad rap for simply charging down the nearest enemy unit, but they had more tactical nuance than that by far. They earned their spot among the mightiest Clans for good reason, and held it against their peers for a long time.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I