Author Topic: Most Prevalent Starting date  (Read 2520 times)

Col Toda

• Captain
Most Prevalent Starting date
« on: 13 March 2023, 16:39:03 »
Most campaigns I have been in started in 3039 . Most of the material I have seen seem to indicated the 3060s . What has been your experience? 

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Re: Most Prevalent Starting date
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2023, 16:40:31 »
In MM I start 3149.
The clans have fully differentiated by then
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2023, 17:10:57 »
Depends on what we want to do. Any era can be good for starting.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2023, 17:24:47 »
My personal preference is 3000 or so. Lot of fun times to be had across the Sphere and beyond, and gives you time to build into some of the bigger things to come. Lots of good things do eventually, but some of my favorites are the '02 invasion of Solaris, the Dragoons against the CapCon '06-08, the morass of Rochelle in '07, FWL Deep Raids into the LC in '08, FWL versus the CapCon/Dragoons '12ish, the '14 Marik Civil War and fallout which included the LC. By the time you enter into 3025 and the 4th War, you are on your second generation of characters, and by 3050, you are on generation three.

The late stages of the 3SW are ideal for being "low impact" and without too much craziness to keep track of. But any time is a good time.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2023, 17:31:04 »
I started in 3050, more options and good stories to go along with the MW2 games. While I love 3025 now, it was frustrating when I got started as a kid. As said above, any era is a good start date depending on what you are looking for. MechWarrior 4 made 3060 super appealing as HBS Battletech and MW5 shinning a light back of the 3025 era with the Clan Invasion Kickstarter showing there is still allot of love for the 3050s. It's just a question of what type of game you want to play
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2023, 17:34:48 »
My personal preference is 3000 or so. Lot of fun times to be had across the Sphere and beyond, and gives you time to build into some of the bigger things to come. Lots of good things do eventually, but some of my favorites are the '02 invasion of Solaris, the Dragoons against the CapCon '06-08, the morass of Rochelle in '07, FWL Deep Raids into the LC in '08, FWL versus the CapCon/Dragoons '12ish, the '14 Marik Civil War and fallout which included the LC. By the time you enter into 3025 and the 4th War, you are on your second generation of characters, and by 3050, you are on generation three.

The late stages of the 3SW are ideal for being "low impact" and without too much craziness to keep track of. But any time is a good time.
I KNEW I liked you...  ;D

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2023, 19:18:36 »
I like 3058. The Chaos March allows for small forces players can realistically run to be decisive, you have all of the drama of the late 3050s and 3060s to run players through, and they have enough time to build connections and relationships to the setting for the tragedy of the Jihad to matter. Plus, if they actually survive all the way through, the formation of the Republic is a logical retirement period for a happy ending.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2023, 22:40:15 »
In MM I start 3149.
The clans have fully differentiated by then

I like 3145-3149.  However, 3151 in the Hinterlands is probably a well, I will go back to time and time again.

I enjoy the Dark Age.   If you really lean into the HPG Blackout you can get a good mix of 3rd Succession War Era stories and the everyone has a bit of everything tech along side classics from the Clan Invasion.

Trellis Serf

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2023, 23:52:08 »
In my area, a majority of the players were of the "3025 or Die!" group.  They would often cite "it was better because you actually had to manage your heat".  But then I'd hear anti-Clan rants.  I mean, I'm not a fan of the Clans, but at least they can be interesting on the other side of the table, so to speak.

I tend to default to 3067, as that's when most of the books I had were set, and I find it cozy.  I'm warming up to the Hinterlands of 3151-3152, but I'm sure I'll have a hard time finding folks to run that, whether it be for A Time of War, or even just CBT or AS.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2023, 00:31:01 »
I'm with Failure16 and Daryk, because I feel I know the BT universe better (and can explain and GM it better) in the late SW era.
Jumping head first into the Civil War era just makes it too confusing and disconnected to feel at home. Total Chaos did an admirable job of guiding players through the Jihad era, but I never got to actually play it. Jury’s still out on the playability of the ilClan era because I only ever play pickup games these days.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Lance Leader

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 14 March 2023, 03:14:25 »
  I've done a campaign over Megamek set in the Jihad era starting in 3067.  I've also played one against myself in in the same era using the Chaos Campaign rules, it was surprisingly fun.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2023, 05:27:18 »
3151 has a LOOOT of potential, between the hinterlands and the dracs and feddies basicly turning their border over to merc units there is a LOT of room for intreasting stuff
The Suns will shine again

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2023, 06:35:47 »
We do mostly pickup games w/few restrictions other than BV or Alpha Strike points but when we campaign, our preferred starting point is 3067. Going into the Blakey Temper Tantrum is a lot of chaotic fun. Alternately, 3025, 3049, or 3145 are solid for me personally, since I'm the "bookkeeper" of our group & love the spectrum of conflict from SW-era tech to CI to Industrial 'Mechs being a solid occupying force. Really digging the newest releases coming out so trying to convince the group to start an IlClan run right now.
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 14 March 2023, 08:40:22 »
*rolls d700+2449*

there

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

mechasaurus

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 14 March 2023, 12:48:09 »
In my area, a majority of the players were of the "3025 or Die!" group.  They would often cite "it was better because you actually had to manage your heat".  But then I'd hear anti-Clan rants.  I mean, I'm not a fan of the Clans, but at least they can be interesting on the other side of the table, so to speak...

... I'm warming up to the Hinterlands of 3151-3152, but I'm sure I'll have a hard time finding folks to run that, whether it be for A Time of War, or even just CBT or AS.

The nice thing is that the AS box set plunks you right into 3151.  Buy the box, and (errata aside) you have timeline appropriate AS cards right from the get-go.  My son and I play right out of the box.  If we have to force-balance with PV, we'll often just pick up an any era mech that fits (I had 11 points to squeeze in an OG Urbie the other day).

For me in CBT, it's 3025.  I don't really see that changing much, until CGL makes a default 3151 box set.  They'll have to re-orient Battletech to have 3151 presented up front.  At that point only, will 3025 be relegated to alternate eras.

For us, it's 3151 AS, 3025 CBT (through to about 3055 to get some Clan stuff thrown in).  It's nice.  I mentally treat the AS box as both a separate era and separate game system.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2023, 12:50:34 by mechasaurus »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 14 March 2023, 17:49:00 »
I have to say the introduction of so much gear into the 3SW era really revitalized it... BLAZER CANNONs first and foremost, of course, but Recon Cameras, Remote Sensor Dispensers, Rocket Launchers... all make it that much more attractive to me!  :D

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 15 March 2023, 14:31:21 »
I'm with Failure16 and Daryk, because I feel I know the BT universe better (and can explain and GM it better) in the late SW era.

Chalk one more for the ~3000 - 3015 start date. It's a simpler era to play in and choices have more impact.

I like the grittiness and resource scarce nature of this era and its a great setting to start out with. If you are GM you can really make your players earn it and it adds a fun level of texture to the game when you can't just "buy new". As a player I like it from the same perspective because there's a lot of "making do with what you have". Also because I don't have the time for massive campaigns we can get in a "campaign" through a series of pick up style games. I'll run my same lance through a series of short lance on lance sized games and keep track of my side as if it were a campaign, this frees the other player(s) up to just have a pick up game. I'll keep track of everything including refit costs, etc on my own time if I want to go that route.

I like to write up fanfic and play units that are "realistic" or "could exist" in the timeline but aren't canon. This is an ideal setting and you can effectively gear up for the fourth succession war. The amount of minor border skirmishes, resource raids, etc means that the entire universe is really your oyster when it comes to playing this era. Further this is the era that really is centered around small (playable) units and mercenaries, while the later eras start getting really large units and shove you into a box more.
For The Archon!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 15 March 2023, 17:29:37 »
Well, that's four of us at least!  :thumbsup:

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2023, 17:43:20 »
I have to say the introduction of so much gear into the 3SW era really revitalized it... BLAZER CANNONs first and foremost
Adding a second headcapper was a quaint idea.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #19 on: 15 March 2023, 17:50:07 »
I'm sure its just because it was the start of the game way back when, but, 3025 enough for a few end of 3SW missions before moving into 4SW.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #20 on: 16 March 2023, 11:01:01 »
I've only run one campaign as GM, starting in 3014. I think the 3SW is great for lance-sized mercs.

3025 got old at one point but playing with Total Warfare and BV2 really has more replayability than the old mech-only tonnage-balanced matches.

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

MWO handle: Grizlie
Mercenaries Kickstarter backer #268

epic 2.0

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 16 March 2023, 12:57:57 »
yup, prefer the early 3020s as a start, that leads into a campaign that can then play thru all the way to the Jihad.  If we play generational play, then it can go all the way to the ilClan.

However, I've always wanted to try my hand at a small group of SLDF forces that go merc in the 1SW, and then play them thru as generations all the way to 3151.  If they survive.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #22 on: 16 March 2023, 13:51:18 »
My favorite starting point is the Blackout. It's a fantastic introductory set-up for the setting, and lets me ratchet up the scale/scope of the game gradually as the Republic collapses and its neighbors start moving in.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 16 March 2023, 18:13:45 »
yup, prefer the early 3020s as a start, that leads into a campaign that can then play thru all the way to the Jihad.  If we play generational play, then it can go all the way to the ilClan.

However, I've always wanted to try my hand at a small group of SLDF forces that go merc in the 1SW, and then play them thru as generations all the way to 3151.  If they survive.
That would be epic, by definition!  :thumbsup:

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 16 March 2023, 20:55:56 »
Our local one started with the Auregan Dominion, fighting for it.

At one point we were given a choice to change sides.  The money wasn't as good, but we were given access to Star League tech, and the chance to acquire some 'Mechs from a downed Leopard (that pissed off the Wolf Dragoons and ComStar for some reason), and we acquired some interesting (and rather irreplaceable) new Mechs.

Either way, setting up your starting point where you and your opponents are using Introtech, is a good idea.  It allows people to get their feet wet while not going crazy, and if you want to give them a leg up, set them up with an opportunity to get a cache of advanced tech, be it Star League, Dragoon, or Clan (depending on the time period).
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 21 March 2023, 17:50:19 »
I was hoping to see one ERA stand out . The all over the place ERA posts frustrating to me but good and healthy to the Game itself.  Will ask again in 3 years perhaps in a poll format . Looks like will get different balance of answers every 3 years

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 21 March 2023, 18:04:39 »
Anywhere from 3000 to 3039.

Last two games started 3039 and 3030. Before that it was 3025 bunch of times with a few earlier dates sprinkled in

Calimehter

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 21 March 2023, 19:56:59 »
Anywhere from 3000 to the Jihad works for us.  Almost never play on either side of that range.

Rastignac

• Recruit
« Reply #28 on: 02 September 2023, 02:46:17 »
The most easiest to start is clan invasion, 4th succession war. Also most favourite I think.

Zematus737

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: 02 September 2023, 11:54:39 »
*rolls d700+2449*

there

There's a list of twelve periods for the Inner Sphere and four for Clan in the Force Creation Era Table that you can use as a RAT.  2d6 for the top half and 1-3;4-6;7-9;10-12 for the bottom.