Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I'm with you on the needing to be more 'fun' part.  Water combat comes up a lot when a mech standing in water falls over.  So even in 3025 it happens all the time, cause you want those leg mounted heat sinks to work overtime, and you want partial cover.

The actual breach rules, flooding, PSRs for every square of movement, and reduced ranges on most things makes underwater combat a slog though.  It makes you roll lots of extra dice, looking for very low odds things like breaches on 10+s and falls on 4-s.  Its also pretty short ranged, and the torpedoes are either SRTs which really cause a lot of rolls, or LRTs which, thanks to the massive speed reduction and range reduction, are too punishing if the other side doesn't have them.  Its rocket tag, but not the fun fast paced frenzy kind like in quake.
I'm a decent painter but more than half my mini's are still not painted... just not enough time so I would be down for getting some pre-painted minis
BattleTech Miniatures / Re: Black Knight Clan buster
« Last post by MoffMalthus on Today at 04:45:06 »
I got the Black knight clan buster mini from the catalyst store last night. Exact same package and content. So three right arms, one has a PPC on it, the other two have nothing.
Ground Combat / Re: Elemental (Fire) or Elemental III?
« Last post by DevianID on Today at 04:23:28 »
Fire-Resistant Armor shouldn't exist and stealth armor is much more interesting on top of being more fun.  Elemental IIIs 100%.
I half agree with you.  Fire resistant armor should half the effects of fire, not be immune to infernos entirely.

BA stealth armor shouldnt work at short range.  Stealth has no counter play, no probe that reduces it.  Since it works at range 1, it's just always useful with no drawback.  Imho this runs counter to design choices mattering.  Compared to stealth armor on mechs, with no short range bonus and +10 heat load, stealth armor on BA is always useful.
To the OP, yes you give up all shooting attacks to make a leg attack.
You make weapon attacks, or a leg attack, or a swarm attack. With the leg attack you're basically fishing for crits.
Okay, I play Alpha Strike, so the assaults are CAR4/5/6, not more.

My favourite for Inner Sphere squads is the Manteuffel  D. Two squads inside, one (not necessarily assault) on the outside. Talk about armoured! Useful support armament (LPPC & LRM10), but won't tempt the tank into combat. The Main Gauche IFV is a faster alternative, albeit for one squad; usefully tough, and the plasma cannon is a great equaliser. The Bandit H carries two squads inside, optional on the outside.

For WoB, you're spoiled for choice - the Trajan, Bolla, and Magi UICV. Bolla gets the double-play option too.
The uber quirks on the ballistic arms of the Black Hawk-KU allow for some rather insane DPS using ultra autocannons. This thing can probably kill you pretty fast before its XL becomes an issue. lol
I think that the old Clan Black Hawk has still its uses, even without those ridiculous quirks:

Knowing where exactly you should apply the force is sometimes as good as running some overquirked 'Mech. I got the same number of kills as somebody who bought the 'Mech of the Month, even without spamming damage left and right.

And I survived until the end.  :smiley:

Thinking from a Clanner’s perspective, are there any options with a 10-ton or larger infantry compartment or cargo bay besides the Aithon, Cardinal, and Saladin (Clan Cargo)?  (Unless the Clan unit steals some Spheroid transport design.)  None of those those really light my fire.

In terms of 5-ton infantry compartment options, I’ve always been partial to the Eldingar.  The ATMs and SRMs have a decent close-range punch during BA deployment, and the ATMs can still hit from a safe distance after BA deployment.  Better close-range punch and more armor than the Tyr.  Svantovit is marginally faster, but under gunner and grossly underarmored.  The Bandit (Clan) C is worthy of mention for its trio of pulse mediums.

Results inconclusive. There were often other teammates to account for. :tongue:

I'd love to see what happens in a one-on-one duel, though. lol
Nobody honors the sacred ritual of zellbrigen these days.  :smiley:

I suspect the Black Hawk-KU will win more often than not in that setting, if for no other reason than the Inner Sphere tech base has better dueling tools at its disposal these days (ironically enough) but I might be surprised that the matchup is more even than it looks. Despite the side torso quirks, an Inner Sphere XL is still an Inner Sphere XL, so that vulnerability might be an equalizer here.
Well, the Black Hawk-KU is 60-tonner, and that means more armor and more internal structure. On the other hand, the Clan Omni runs Clan XLE and that is a serious advantage, even if the 'Mech itself sports less armor.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10