Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Adepticon livestreams
« Last post by ColBosch on Today at 03:22:32 »
-Will there be additional asset cards for vehicles on the MUL?  Absolutely, they're working on getting all record sheets and BSP cards added.

What are the assets cards?

They mean the Battlefield Support cards.
BattleMechs / Re: Wasp WSP-100NL (Not-LAM)
« Last post by DevianID on Today at 03:19:57 »
A normal spider can do it with armor sacrifice, but since these are not-Lams, you can use light engines/endo/ferro and IJJs to really go far.  The spider with wings that jumps 10 is a great machine.
Combat Vehicles / Re: Mudskipper Hovertank: An orgy of kinetic mayhem
« Last post by Daryk on Today at 03:16:12 »
*snip*
You're not allowed to switch machine gun modes mid scenario. If it's rapid fire, it has to shoot that way the entire game.
Oh!  I didn't know that, thanks!  And Hellraiser's idea of 5 and 300 rounds sounds pretty reasonable, and means you wouldn't have to do the SRM-4... :)
Clan Chatterweb / Re: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza
« Last post by parable on Today at 03:07:35 »
Weird is one of the definitions of Clan Nova Cat in the Battletech Lexicon.

Looks to me my Nova Cat throtkin spent couple of days too many in the sweat lodge  :shocked:

It's telling that in Field Manual: Comstar the general vibe the Nova Cat author gives off when talking about ceremonial garb and how they used to have to tone it down for Grand Council meetings feels to me like a catharsis.  "As a concession to our more traditional brethren, when the Khans attended a Grand Council, the vest and shorts were replaced by a full-length black-leather suit in the same style.  Obviously, this is no longer necessary." 

Now, given how over the top other Clan ceremonial uniforms are, the only real difference I can find between Clan Nova Cat and the others is that the Nova Cat ceremonial uniform shows more skin--but the Clans surely wouldn't care about that, right?  Is it that it resembles casual clothes?  Actually, this has piqued my interest.  Why, of IIRC all the Clans, did Nova Cat feel the need to amend their ceremonial uniform for inter-Clan relations?
Ground Combat / Re: Clan Large Pulse Lasers
« Last post by DevianID on Today at 02:39:23 »
Scaphas are great against cLPL, I know I frustrated someone when I introduced them to the 2 MVSPL config against a TWolf B in a BV match.  Only thing that hit was the LPL, damage cut in half . . . and then my MVSPLs double tapped the same rear side torso armor.
I mean, that kind of goes to my point.  If the only thing that hit was the large pulse, despite the large pulse only dealing 5 damage, it was still putting in more damage then the LRM or Gauss Rifle on a Timby B.  On the high end of the bell curve accuracy trumps all, and speed+smoke quickly take you to the high end of the bell curve over inflating the importance of pulse accuracy.
Or like Ferro-Lam.  Ferro Lam reduces everything by 1 per 5.  SRMs lose far more damage then Large Pulse Lasers, and still have to hit on big numbers while the LPL has that massive accuracy.  Only heat damage isnt reduced by ferro lam, but if you have more then 15 heat sinks you can be immune to excess heat damage.

On the topic of MPL versus LPL, its more an activity level thing.  MPLs are more damage/efficient, but you have to move into closer range.  The LPL often just parks in woods (with smoke if you allowed it for some reason), so its a very non-interactive weapon.  From the midboard the LPL can hit anything accurately, forcing the other player to have to deal with it.  So while the 14 MPL 100 ton clan mechs will shred up close, the 4 LPL mechs deal damage without bothering to maneuver or anything, forcing the other player to have to play the game for both sides.  But at MRC we ban all pulse damage after a threshold has been reached... my Nova/Blackhawk S otherwise is a right terror with 6 MPLs.
Strategic Combat / Re: Maintenance's Facility
« Last post by Mostro Joe on Today at 02:19:30 »
IIRC the rules difference is that they do the same "level" of repair & refit but that the "Facility" gives you a +2 on the role v/s the DS Cubicle which doesn't.

Similar to how a "Refit" & a "Customization" use the same rules for the most part but a canon refit kit gives you a bonus to the role v/s custom work does not.

Yeah exactly that. That's why I was saying that to have a facility is an advantage yet ruleswise.
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Impact crater of a gauss rifle
« Last post by DevianID on Today at 02:18:18 »
church for the actual site, 1750 m/s was input as 1.75 km/s, so the 10ish meter crater should be good in that way.  I imagine 1750 km/s would punch a hole in the planet, that indeed would be nutty.

Cray, while you are not wrong with 18 km hexes at 60 seconds for 6 km/s, the same ship accelerating at 1g in 1 turn/minute moves 18km 'IRL', but in battlespace they instead move by 36km/2 hexes.  So the space hex math from the gate is wrong--acceleration and hex sizes do not agree.  So I cant take the hex sizes for space at face value for weapons fire--they cant be 18km if 1 G moves a ship 1 hex in 1 minute.  Plus there is other issues with the 1 minute turn scale, like where does the other 5 shots a gauss rifle gets in 60 seconds go?  Its all so undefined.

So Gauss in space would still be faster, but the minimum would be 3000m/s using the acceleration to distance hex scale, instead of 6000.  Still faster then 1750, but unable to be easily defined using the space hexes that dont add up.

Gladius, the navy railgun is quite fast!  Using 2 km/s would only increase the crater size!  Those gauss rifles sure do make a mark!  The navy railgun melts itself firing though right?  So its possible the 125kg watermelon is also partially melted, reducing the impact mass.  I have heard at that speed everything acts like a liquid instead of a solid.
Fan Fiction / Re: Hidden Hope (Golden Lion AU, Part 4)
« Last post by PsihoKekec on Today at 01:47:57 »
I reckon in many ways the mechwarriors have the mentality of medieval knights, so while I'm sure that Roman takes the burden of command very seriously, the chance of getting medieval has it's appeal to him, even with all the risks for the overall war effort.
What's the battlefield?  That makes a big difference in a fight like this- the Awesome and Thunderbolt do well if it's open and they can snipe, but if there's a lot of LOS restrictions that Atlas's autocannon is really dangerous.
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Who would you hire?
« Last post by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire on Today at 01:37:50 »
The Falcon and Horse are both immediate rejects, as is the Regulan- no hotheads or glory seekers.  The Cohors Morituri isn't even getting through the first line in their resume before it goes in the trash.  Got no use for deserters, doubly so from the Combine.

The Fox is probably a spy, but might be worth it if they have a line on getting a discount on Clantech.

The Lyran would probably fit right in with the rest of the unit.

The Republic expat is an auto hire.  Cleanest resume of the bunch and one who's going to be motivated to stick around if treated well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10