Author Topic: New Server Able to Support Dice?  (Read 2014 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
New Server Able to Support Dice?
« on: 09 September 2017, 06:14:18 »
It's been a while since I asked about adding a die roller to the forum, but I was wondering if the new server would be able to support one.  I've seen other SMF sites with dice, so I know the software can do it.  Any insight would be appreciated!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: New Server Able to Support Dice?
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2017, 06:33:18 »
That's not what I would call a priority to add to the server.  There are other services to do that for you.  I can't speak decisively on that point but there's a number of other things I'd want to see done before we start adding features like that, assuming this is even a good idea from a server load perspective.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2017, 06:35:22 by Moonsword »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2017, 06:56:52 »
I understand it's a low priority... I'd like to get the old smilies back first myself.  I was just wondering if it was technically feasible now (I seem to recall server load being a worry before).  Thanks for looking into it!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2017, 11:02:33 »
I understand it's a low priority... I'd like to get the old smilies back first myself.  I was just wondering if it was technically feasible now (I seem to recall server load being a worry before).  Thanks for looking into it!

I'm not sure you understood me: I don't know if it's "feasible".  This server has more horsepower - that's readily evident from the performance when it's behaving - but I have no idea if that's something we'd want to do or what the impact would be.  (It's going to depend a lot on how it's written, how it's accessed, and whether or not it's got limits on it to prevent abuse.)

You're better off looking at a third party service for this.  I don't foresee it being a feature we pursue even in the medium term.  I won't say "never" - I don't have that authority - but again, resources wise, there are significantly higher priorities.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2017, 11:14:58 »
I figured that's what you meant.  As I said the last time I asked (a few years ago), it just strikes me as odd that the official site would want to push people wanting to play here somewhere else.  I'll probably ask again in few more years (hopefully after some of those higher priorities have been satisfied).