21 (15.1%)
Mad Cat (Timber Wolf)
63 (45.3%)
UrbanMech
2 (1.4%)
Commando
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author Topic: Most Iconic Mech  (Read 3173 times)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Re: Most Iconic Mech
« Reply #60 on: 17 April 2024, 21:30:02 »
I honestly always thought the second arm was firing an autocannon.

The Zeus Zeus-6S uses a A/C 5 which I believe the arm that was blown off (and yes, it is still one of the best intro)

The fan remake was the artist take. The original description, the artist mentioned they liked the id that the Atlas was taken out by a AC/20.

Just thought that both videos get circulated on fan sites enough, it's enough to overlap the two subconsciously. The fan remakes is very faithful to the original in terms of animation and camera angle, almost shot per shot.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #61 on: 17 April 2024, 21:58:51 »
Honorable mention: Rifleman. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 17 April 2024, 22:23:59 »
For a true icon, it would have to be the Atlas or the Timber Wolf, for me, though the Urbanmech is the meme icon (memicon?).

While the Warhammer graced the cover of the boxes for a decade (and its predecessor and look-alike Hammerhands a little later), it runs in to the Unseen problem head-on.

The Atlas is unique, part of the original TRO: 3025, and the only thing it doesn't bring is being part of Battledroids (but those all have the Unseen issue).

With the introduction of the Clans, we have the Timber Wolf.  It graced the cover of the Compendiums.  It was the most commonly seen Clan Mech of The Battletech cartoon (even if we never saw a single pilot of one).  It's also a great blend of speed, armor and firepower along with its unique and frequent appearance.  They've made 3 more chassis based off it now, too!
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 17 April 2024, 22:52:04 »
The Zeus Zeus-6S uses a A/C 5 which I believe the arm that was blown off (and yes, it is still one of the best intro)

The fan remake was the artist take. The original description, the artist mentioned they liked the id that the Atlas was taken out by a AC/20.

Just thought that both videos get circulated on fan sites enough, it's enough to overlap the two subconsciously. The fan remakes is very faithful to the original in terms of animation and camera angle, almost shot per shot.
The original arm that is blown off was clearly the AC/5. A Victor would have the Autocannon in the second arm, leading me to the theory that they had merged the two mechs for effect. It is now clear to me that it was an LRM launcher the whole time and not the video's take on an AC/20.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 17 April 2024, 23:28:34 »
The original arm that is blown off was clearly the AC/5. A Victor would have the Autocannon in the second arm, leading me to the theory that they had merged the two mechs for effect. It is now clear to me that it was an LRM launcher the whole time and not the video's take on an AC/20.

Yet the Foley matched an Autocannon, not a missile launcher.

Could have been a custom job, but they would have had to pull a lot out to make it work.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: 18 April 2024, 05:00:46 »
Honorable mention: Rifleman.

That makes me think of the Mechwarrior RPG, both the original 1e cover and Destiny.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #66 on: 18 April 2024, 18:20:13 »
According to Legends, IIRC, by the time he became Focht, his active combat days were behind him and he only piloted his Atlas to keep his qualification current. He wanted to serve frontline, but IIRC ComStar felt he was worth more back safe than in harm's way.

Specifically, Focht was the Atlas pilot. Fred drove a Zeus. He was apparently a bit of a gearhead when he was young, as his bio in the House Steiner says that he was also an expert technician for it.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 18 April 2024, 18:35:40 »
Yet the Foley matched an Autocannon, not a missile launcher.

I agree. That was one of the reasons I thought it an AC/20 (And you can compare the sound with the volley from the Catapult without playing the game). It simply made sense on every level. If it were a Victor, the AC/20 would be in that arm. This is why it is best to simply file it as a Mechwarrior game problem that we live with because the game, opening included, itself was gold.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #68 on: 18 April 2024, 19:17:12 »
That makes me think of the Mechwarrior RPG, both the original 1e cover and Destiny.

Exactly.  Regardless of reviews regarding performance, combat durability, tissue paper rear armor, etc...  It's fairly iconic.  I would put it behind Whammy/MAD/Timby (everyone can pick their own order), and put the Rifleman at #4.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #69 on: 18 April 2024, 19:48:14 »
I had to go Atlas as every other mech listed but 2 (Awesome/Urbie) are technically from other games/toylines etc etc.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #70 on: 18 April 2024, 20:50:44 »
How are the Mad Cat and Commando technically from other games?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #71 on: 18 April 2024, 22:52:25 »
How are the Mad Cat and Commando technically from other games?

1.  I missed Commando was even on the list. Doh!

2.  I was thinking the MadCat was ripped off from Exosquad, but maybe I have that reversed & the toy came after the T-Wolf was released?

Either way I'm still saying Atlas since I was ignoring the Robotech models.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #72 on: 18 April 2024, 23:39:59 »
Exosquad ripped off the Mad Cat, that lawsuit is what led to Harmony Gold suing FASA and the emergence of the Unseen.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #73 on: 19 April 2024, 09:15:30 »
Specifically, Focht was the Atlas pilot. Fred drove a Zeus.

ilClan Rec Guide 24 says Fred, still answering to that name, swapped out his Zeus for an Atlas during his fateful mission on Dromini VI in 3029. So a bit of an Aidan Pryde situation: you drive one 'Mech your whole life, then get into trouble while driving a substitute, and you become known for that substitute.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 19 April 2024, 09:55:23 »
ilClan Rec Guide 24 says Fred, still answering to that name, swapped out his Zeus for an Atlas during his fateful mission on Dromini VI in 3029. So a bit of an Aidan Pryde situation: you drive one 'Mech your whole life, then get into trouble while driving a substitute, and you become known for that substitute.
In fairness, he willingly took a cursed mech, then added Jump Jets to it, and even then one upped it with what is now known as a Battletech superweapon.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 19 April 2024, 12:22:10 »
The Battlemaster is on alot of Art .

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #76 on: 19 April 2024, 14:46:58 »

Hmm, so if we ever find out who the new Duke of Duran is, they'd probably be driving a very famous Zeus. Interesting.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #77 on: 19 April 2024, 17:16:32 »
The Battlemaster is on alot of Art .

It is.  Know what else spent a lot of time on the art, in fact, was the default silhouette on the 'Mech record sheet, making it an Iconic 'Mech we didn't even know the name of?  The VP-* Viper 'Mech series.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #78 on: 19 April 2024, 18:20:03 »
It is.  Know what else spent a lot of time on the art, in fact, was the default silhouette on the 'Mech record sheet, making it an Iconic 'Mech we didn't even know the name of?  The VP-* Viper 'Mech series.

I like the Viper but we didn't even know the mech existed until last year.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 20 April 2024, 23:45:12 »
Hmm, so if we ever find out who the new Duke of Duran is, they'd probably be driving a very famous Zeus. Interesting.

assuming it's survived the clan invasion, the fedcom civil war, the Jihad etc, yeah. That said according to Sarna is was basicly ignored in all those conflicts swo it's reasonably possiable it survived.
The Suns will shine again

Register