Author Topic: Dread's Ye Old Campaign System  (Read 10002 times)

Dread Moores

• Captain
Dread's Ye Old Campaign System
« on: 27 February 2011, 10:25:50 »
Mods: Really wasn't sure if this should go here, or the Fan Articles section, or where exactly. Feel free to move wherever is appropriate, simply put it here since that's where it was on the old board.

Okay, some folks asked about this, so I figured I should repost it. This is the modified Warchest system I had up on the old forums. Going forward, I'll have two styles of it: a complex style using a great deal more of the StratOps rules (requiring quite a bit more record-keeping) and a simple system (closer to the original Chaos Campaign set up, but with a few add-ons).

The complex is really the last version I had up, but with a few corrections and tweaks. I'm still working on updating the simple version. Enjoy!

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
Re: Dread's Ye Old Campaign System
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2011, 10:39:34 »
What program do I need to run to use it?

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2011, 11:47:14 »
Oh, it's just zipped up as a rar file to save on file space. Winzip or Winrar should be able open it up. Though I did just find that there's going to be some changes made on the Complex one. As I was working through the simple version, I found some references that need to be updated to reflect A Time of War, which wasn't around the last time I did this.

officer1473

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2011, 17:34:23 »
I re-registered just for this.

Loving it.  Thanks!

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2011, 18:52:28 »
Just a note, to those who may be looking at this. If you want to hold off downloading for a few days (and don't have an immediate need) I should hopefully (pretty likely, but not guaranteed) have the updated version done by the end of the week. Upon further review, it looks like it will be only one version going forward, as I think I can get it to cover some of the StratOps stuff while still getting scaled back from the AccounTech the last version became.

There's some pretty distinct changes, but the base system overall remains pretty much the same. With some more playtesting (and to add in AToW support) I changed experience levels to now have Recruit, Green, Regular, Veteran, Elite, Ultra-Elite, Legendary. That factors through for a lot of the changes, and some costs were changed, since I scaled back from the three Gunnery skills of CBT:RPG to the one Gunnery skill of AToW. I've finished all the purchasing/training section rewrites, and am working my way through the skill check section (which will likely be the biggest hurdle). After that it's just mostly some clean up at the end. Shooting for Tuesday, but planning for Friday.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2011, 17:23:04 »
Okay, it's officially titled DYOCS (Dread's Ye Old Campaign System) from here on out. It's all piratey!  ;)

Updated version is attached below. I'm still working on an Excel workbook for tracking units, that should be a couple of days. I get real motivated (or find somebody who has a brain for databases) I'll try to work up some kind of fully automated thing, but no breath-holding on that.

So, a day early. Let the questions and corrections begin!  ;D

Regarding older versions (including the "Complex" version posted above), I'll keep it listed up there (and a copy of the file). I had requests for a more complex version on the old forums, something that would incorporate StratOps material/rules. So, it's out there. However, personal preference is that it is too complicated to really take advantage of the Warchest system. So, I scaled back a number of things for this version, and that's likely the path I'm following going forward. That means, don't expect continued support for a more complicated version. I prefer to avoid AccounTech, and I've already seen too much Excel.  :)

Edit: Zip file added by request.

Requiem_for_a_Moth

• Private
  • 1 of 9
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2011, 20:01:21 »
 [drool] [drool] [drool]

There goes the rest of my evening . . .
Denn alles Fleisch ist wie Gras und alle Herrlichkeit des Menschen wie des Grases Blumen. Das Gras ist verdorret und die Blume abgefallen.

Aber des Herrn Wort bleibet in Ewigkeit.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2011, 21:40:20 »
Sorry folks. Just found an omission error on the worksheets, so it is updated in the post above. If you don't want to download the whole thing again, simply go into the Training worksheet and add the Artillery skill between the Anti-Mech and Piloting (Non-'Mech). Its SP cost modifier should be x5.

Requiem_for_a_Moth

• Private
  • 1 of 9
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2011, 17:24:17 »
On the instructions  for purchasing assets it says

2.   Total all appropriate purchase order modifiers found on the worksheet and multiply this modifier by the base SP cost to find the modified SP total for the unit.

Total the modifiers and multiply by the base cost means SP_Cost*(Mod1+Mod2+Mod3), so purchasing an Inner Sphere Tournament rules 50 ton mech with an untrained tech  level would be 500*3.15=1575 sp?

Or should it be SP_Cost*Mod1*Mod2*Mod3, i.e. 500*2*1.15=1150 sp (because  that's the way I had been doing it).
Denn alles Fleisch ist wie Gras und alle Herrlichkeit des Menschen wie des Grases Blumen. Das Gras ist verdorret und die Blume abgefallen.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2011, 17:27:01 »
I've always done it as total the modifiers, because I prefer the higher costs. That's definitely a flexible point that could be changed to suit individual tastes. For the "official" rules  ;D I wrote it with the intention of totaling the modifiers then multiplying (aka the 1575 SP route).

Requiem_for_a_Moth

• Private
  • 1 of 9
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2011, 18:38:38 »
I support higher costs too, it just seemed odd to me that something with a few minor modifiers could end up 2-3 more expensive than something with a single medium-high modifier.

Though now that I think about it, it's probably pretty rare for that to happen.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2011, 21:32:30 »
Honestly, it hasn't had a great deal of feedback from the folks who use it. Any playtesting is largely limited to the times I use it and notice problems (and my playing amount is more limited than I would like). So, feel to try it the other way, if you prefer, and see how it works. The more feedback there is with potential problem spots, the better I'm aware of what needs to be addressed. :)

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2011, 21:36:16 »
I also just noticed that there are no repair costs (but there are purchase costs) for ProtoMechs, not in DYOCS or Chaos Campaign. Apparently you just need to buy all new ones when they are damaged.  ;D Something that probably should be addressed, but I have no clue on what a baseline cost for Protos should be. I'll have to ponder that. Side note: It's funny that in all the versions of that, nobody mentioned it before. Must not be many Clan folks using it.  :)

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2011, 21:54:28 »
DL'd. I'll read it over. I'm looking to start a new merc campaign in the near future.

MemphisMark

• Sergeant
    • The Battletech Zone
« Reply #14 on: 02 March 2011, 13:23:38 »
Can you do a .zip file as well as an .rar? I can't open a rar file.

Don't make me use the haggis on you! - Wolflord

If a man knows not, and knows not that he knows not, shun him.
If a man knows not, and knows that he knows not, teach him.
If a man knows, and knows that he knows, follow him.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 02 March 2011, 13:32:12 »
Done, and updated in the post with the other file.

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #16 on: 02 March 2011, 15:12:06 »
If you download 7-zip (it's free) you can. ;)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #17 on: 08 August 2011, 23:11:21 »
Have you done anything with this in relation to the two Era Report products?  I tend to use those as a starting point for my own games.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 08 August 2011, 23:28:52 »
I haven't no. To be honest, I haven't really looked through either of the Era products, even though I own them. They're both timeframes I've played quite frequently in the past, and I just don't have any interest in that timeframe right now. I tend to just change modifiers as needed (something I'm preparing to do for my upcoming Dark Age campaign), so it's certainly something individual GMs could do easily.

I have to admit, I'm considering glancing over the WoR rules to see if there is anything I can pull from there to add to this system.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #19 on: 08 August 2011, 23:35:50 »
I haven't really gamed either one that much, personally, so they're interesting to me.  ER3062 is probably more readily adjustable since it's based directly on Chaos Campaign and both have a whole range of missions available.  As to Reaving, the Trial system looks like it could be interesting for Clan players and I'm considering stealing the planet tracks thing for my own use when I get my private war against the bot going again.

I'm not sure how much overhead I'm really looking for at the moment.  Having skimmed it, your system looks like a nice mix of complex and manageable if I decide to go for some more complexity on the management end.  It also pares StratOps down and splices it into the Warchest system very nicely.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2011, 23:37:24 by Moonsword »

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #20 on: 27 November 2011, 04:24:56 »
Hey Dread, Is there any way to get the archive of tracks back?? Still interested in them.

Thx, D69
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

ronalmb

• Private
« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2011, 17:51:26 »
I would like to second this request.

Thanks much

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 29 November 2011, 12:43:05 »
Yeah, I saved the old web pages from the archive (before it was gone). Let me see about getting it formatted presentably, and I'll try to get it up by the end of the week. I thought about copy-pasting into a new thread (with proper credit given to each original poster), but I'm not exactly sure how the mod staff feels about that.

Edit: One of these days, I really should get off my duff and finish the Dark Age modifications and start my campaign as well. :)

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #23 on: 30 November 2011, 02:30:12 »
Awesome, Thx DM. Really looking forward to what ever you can do.
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 03 December 2011, 13:19:02 »
New thread is here. Pulling the stuff from the archived threads isn't near finished yet. I'll keep adding more over the next few days. The link in my signature is updated as well.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 02 January 2012, 01:20:30 »
Just a note for the future. If anybody has questions on the campaign system, probably best to contact me via PM. I don't really check the forums much anymore, as most of  my interest in BT has waned over the last several months. It's not very likely that I'll continue to do any further updates of the system, even after IntOps, as I'm really not playing any longer. Feel free to use or modify the system as needed, though I'd ask to keep the credits section intact so proper credit is given to the folks at CGL who made the Chaos Campaign system possible.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 21 June 2012, 23:35:12 »
So I decided to give a bit of a revised system to match up to the recent Total Chaos rules. It's very short and to the point, utilizing pretty much everything in said book with a few changes and additions. Hope you folks enjoy.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 22 June 2012, 07:34:45 »
Minor update folks. I realized that I forgot to increase the costs of the personnel special abilities (from the DYOCS system where it cost WP instead of SP). I also added in a very rudimentary workbook for the system as well. Attached to this post.

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 22 June 2012, 16:05:50 »
Thanks!

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 22 June 2012, 18:09:58 »
If anybody wants to follow along with a unit using these rules, you can find more on a campaign just getting started here.

Register