Author Topic: Dragon II & Dragon?  (Read 10402 times)

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
Dragon II & Dragon?
« on: 03 September 2017, 12:23:16 »
Does the Dragon II have additional pieces to make a standard dragon?  I thought it did but the IWM website doesn't make it clear

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Dragon II & Dragon?
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2017, 12:26:04 »
The one I got did indeed come with the parts to make a Dragon.  You put a different chest piece on, don't put the Arrow IV on, and place the cockpit on a different point.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2017, 12:43:04 »
The one I got did indeed come with the parts to make a Dragon.  You put a different chest piece on, don't put the Arrow IV on, and place the cockpit on a different point.

If anyone has a picture of that I would be highly obliged

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2017, 13:43:09 »
I assembled mine as a Dragon II, was thinking about magneting it to do a Dragon, but it wouldn't have fit with my legion of metal and plastic OG Dragons.  I might still have the chest piece if people want a photo of it.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2017, 13:45:55 »
I haven't purchased one yet, but if I do I'll absolutely be using the Dragon II built as a regular Dragon to represent my Grand Dragons, while the old metal and plastic ones will be just regular Dragons.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2017, 14:27:34 »
I assembled mine as a Dragon II, was thinking about magneting it to do a Dragon, but it wouldn't have fit with my legion of metal and plastic OG Dragons.  I might still have the chest piece if people want a photo of it.

Yes please. I have only found pictures on the Drag II standard and didn´t even find any information (till I saw this thread) about a possibility to alter the Drag II. Why does IWM not provide proper infos on such facts?!

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2017, 19:49:35 »
Here's mine done as a standard Dragon:

« Last Edit: 03 September 2017, 20:02:33 by Neo-Tanuki »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2017, 00:40:56 »
Hmm, not bad.   Just can't seem to reconcile it as a Dragon though.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2017, 00:43:05 »
The snoot is a drastic improvement. I may have to get one for experimentation.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2017, 02:19:14 »
Yes please. I have only found pictures on the Drag II standard and didn´t even find any information (till I saw this thread) about a possibility to alter the Drag II. Why does IWM not provide proper infos on such facts?!

I definitely knew about it before I bought the mini,, but it was from one of speck's posts here

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2017, 08:03:57 »
I was tempted but I already have five dragons so mind got the II treatment

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2017, 08:33:28 »
Here's mine done as a standard Dragon:

Wow, that is a game changer for me. So to check this again: the Dragon II comes with this snout? If so I will buy it.

And here the usual shop Info giving nothing about the snout:

https://www.fantasywelt.de/Dark-Age-Dragon-II-Mech-TRO-3145-55-ton

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=9001

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2017, 09:12:52 »
So to check this again: the Dragon II comes with this snout?
Yes.

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2017, 12:36:02 »
The mini comes with all the parts to make the standard Dragon in my picture.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 04 September 2017, 15:36:33 »
Great. And it looks awesome as well. Still wonder why the company that wants to make money doesn´t provide the info that sells the item. ::)

ChrystalNiNja88

• Corporal
  • THE WORD, THE WORD, THE WORD....
« Reply #15 on: 04 September 2017, 16:24:14 »
 :o
Mind blown.
Socket to me! -Robot Nixon

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 04 September 2017, 17:18:27 »
I wonder if this was intended as an early attempt at the kind of art changes we're getting with the commando, awesome, and catapult, or just a fun extra bonus from Iron Wind Metals.

And actually, I think I'll need two. One for the semi-classic dragon configuration, and one to customize with a five port snoot and a vibroblade...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #17 on: 05 September 2017, 06:45:02 »
or just a fun extra bonus from Iron Wind Metals.
This.

IIRC it was iamclanwolf's idea. He came up with the idea while we were discussing the sculpt in the QCC group, proposed it to behrle (the sculptor) and behrle (and IWM) delivered  8)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #18 on: 05 September 2017, 08:46:41 »
I found this as well when I got my Dragon II- it had a part that didn't fit the artwork, and also seemed like it was missing something as well. I was right- it was missing the thigh sprue! I assembled the rest of the mini (as a Dragon II), placed the torso/arm assembly on top of the foot/shin assemblies, and put a sticky note on a popsicle stick to make a sign asking Melissa at IWM to 'PLZ SEND LEGS FOR OL' STUMPY'.

She did indeed- along with a second Dragon II! So naturally the second one became a standard Dragon. It's a hell of a lot bigger than the original Dragon mini, obviously, but it's a great mini- big fan of it, considering getting another one in fact. I highly suggest it.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 05 September 2017, 10:34:38 »

IIRC it was iamclanwolf's idea.

I know why I love this guy.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: 06 September 2017, 19:59:33 »
Yeah I sorta of forgot about that part. Need to dig up another unassembled one that I have to check it out.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 07 September 2017, 14:45:07 »
Heh... thanks for the props, Gunji.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #22 on: 07 September 2017, 16:01:41 »
This model and the MWO "sculpts" are far better than the originals, IMO. They look more like something that would actually exist.

EDIT: 3rd Benjamin Regulars scheme?
« Last Edit: 07 September 2017, 16:05:53 by TigerShark »
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 08 September 2017, 11:00:52 »
@TigerShark: If you are asking about my color scheme-definitely inspired by the Benjamin Regulars, but I didn't stick completely to canon patterns-I just really liked the bold red stripes on white. :)

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 11 September 2017, 09:42:17 »
Just wanted to chime in and say: this thread made me go back and take a look at the Dragon II I put together a couple months back...Sure enough, I just slapped on as many parts as I could get to fit, and had both the original Dragon snout and the Dragon II missile pack on the back! I was able to pop the missile pack off without too much trouble (tried the 'snout' but that sucker was really on there!) That's what I get for assuming I know what each mech is supposed to look like without consulting a TRO or anything!

It's the same reason I've got a Warhawk with the missile pack on the wrong shoulder and a Dart whose arms are swapped. I just get excited and start gluing on anything I can!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #25 on: 11 September 2017, 10:08:36 »
Just wanted to chime in and say: this thread made me go back and take a look at the Dragon II I put together a couple months back...Sure enough, I just slapped on as many parts as I could get to fit, and had both the original Dragon snout and the Dragon II missile pack on the back! I was able to pop the missile pack off without too much trouble (tried the 'snout' but that sucker was really on there!) That's what I get for assuming I know what each mech is supposed to look like without consulting a TRO or anything!

It's the same reason I've got a Warhawk with the missile pack on the wrong shoulder and a Dart whose arms are swapped. I just get excited and start gluing on anything I can!

It happens. I've seen a few people post backwards-legged Cestus and Stalker minis, and even the Fafnir on a couple of occasions. I did it with, of all things, a Phoenix Hawk (reseen), got it all painted and done before realizing something was wrong.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 11 September 2017, 14:29:34 »
Yeah, we won't even mention the number of Dragonflys, Stormcrows, and Novas I've made with their feet backwards!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 11 September 2017, 16:07:36 »
It happens. I've seen a few people post backwards-legged Cestus and Stalker minis, and even the Fafnir on a couple of occasions. I did it with, of all things, a Phoenix Hawk (reseen), got it all painted and done before realizing something was wrong.

Sagittaire, though if anybody asks, I did it because it looks better and not because I didn't check the art.  ;D

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 28 September 2017, 02:32:42 »
Yeah, we won't even mention the number of Dragonflys, Stormcrows, and Novas I've made with their feet backwards!

Yeeeaaah, I screwed up my first Nova, but figured it out because I had a really clear mental picture of the Stormcrow's feet in my mind - probably thanks to Mechwarrior 2. Luckily I got to it before painting, and persuaded the glue to give up it's grip.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 28 September 2017, 10:26:36 »
In fairness, the leg assembly from the Viper/Stormcrow is kinda goofy. I can understand why somebody would assume they fit on the other way around. (The feet are pretty giant, relative to the bodies too.)

Register