Author Topic: Talk to me about.....the Battlemaster  (Read 7721 times)

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
Talk to me about.....the Battlemaster
« on: 06 March 2011, 23:53:25 »
The Battlemaster was one of my very first mechs when I got back into BT a few years ago.  It was a christmas present from my wife who thought it sounded strong.  And I really want to like this mech, but I have yet to find a variant I'm fond of.  I generally don't use C3, so those variants are out.  I am currently looking at the 4S or the 10S. 

So, what's your take on this BT classic?  Any variants you prefer??

Thanks in advance.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: Talk to me about.....the Battlemaster
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2011, 00:38:26 »
You might go for the Jade Falcon's BattleMaster C, featuring a HAG-30 and ATM-6 with a bevy of lasers for support. Even a TarComp thrown in for good measure. It's a brutal, brutal beast.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2011, 01:39:47 »
You've picked the two best as it is, so you're on the right track.  The only other good modern one to look at its he FWL's LGR toating 5M, but most people don't have a school girl crush on the LGR like I do and so don't like it quite so much. 

Between the 4S and 10S, its a fun contest, since they do largely the same things but in difrent ways.  The tradition of the Battlemaster is a mech that carried a weapon with some range, so as not to get laughed at like the Atlas (which by the way carries a LRM 20 with more power and range than the Beemer's PPC) but is really meant to mix it up in close.  Its got a bit of speed, a big array of MLs, lots of heatsinks, and a pile of armor.

The 4S keeps the speed, uses a GR at long range, but since the GR's got no heat it can stay on line in close when the four well sinked ER MLs and SRM6 come into play.  Its also got significant armor and a durable light engine.  Conversly, the 10S takes the durability up a level with a compact engine and a heavy gyro (a bit of tech I adore).  Its back to a PPC, and despite the huge heatsink array the PPC pushes it over the top in close, leaving most of the work to the six ER MLs and SSRM4.  Its tougher, with similar power (it depends a bit on how much you want to push the heat) but slower, despite being more short range focused.  I prefer the 4S, but I prefer fast and quick battles, which the ammo based, high speed, LFE packing 4S excells at.  If you like a longer, knock down drag out battle, the 10S has basicly no ammo worries (its only ammo weapon is a streak launcher) and fewer critable components that can take it down.  Its pretty close between them.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2011, 03:02:34 »
I addition to what has been said about the 4S, 10S and 5S, take also a look at the K4.
While it does not feel like a traditional BattleMaster, you have to respect the 3/5/5 movement profile combined with a snubbie, a LPL and a gauss rifle.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2011, 10:58:42 »
You might go for the Jade Falcon's BattleMaster C, featuring a HAG-30 and ATM-6 with a bevy of lasers for support. Even a TarComp thrown in for good measure. It's a brutal, brutal beast.
As much as I would love to use this config, it might be a little difficult to justify in a merc unit.  But the Kell Hounds do employ some clan tech, right?

Thanks for the input.  I'm still torn, but right now the 10S is looking like it'll be the one...

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2011, 11:11:56 »
I'd like to know about the Battlemaster variants mentioned in TRO: 3085. Not the one given in detail, but the others. Two had jump jets, another was faster I believe.

Now that the record sheets are out...

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2011, 14:04:57 »
4S probably has the best combination of classic Beamer styling and real capability.  10S is a beast, but slow.  I think the 5M is vastly underrated by most people, but it isn't quite the 4S.  The K3 is another to look at; it's not a bad command mech, but it's not really a BattleMaster either, it's a chunky Black Knight with a C3M.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2011, 14:24:34 »
I'd like to know about the Battlemaster variants mentioned in TRO: 3085. Not the one given in detail, but the others. Two had jump jets, another was faster I believe.

Now that the record sheets are out...

Well, the variants listed seems to be:
M3
Battlemaster C
4L
K4
6X

The C and K4 has been mentioned above.
The M3 is a meh C3Master variant with a collection of long-range low damage weapons that the Mariks love. (LGR, 2xLPPC, MML5)
The 4L is like the M3, but with JJs and Stealth armor instead of the C3Master.
The 6X is an abomination with a Large XXL Engine which the Lyrans use to milk money out of fools.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2011, 15:16:10 »
As much as I would love to use this config, it might be a little difficult to justify in a merc unit.  But the Kell Hounds do employ some clan tech, right?

The Kell Hounds have large amounts of Clan tech, dating from 3051 when the Dragoons equiped them from their own factories and stocks, and a large and skilled tech base to keep it running effectively.  They have also been in almost constant conflict with the Falcons, who make and use this newest Clan Battlemaster (there was the new Red Corsair's Clan Battlemaster, and another featured in Mechwarrior II, though its not canon by any means) so they've had a better oppertunity to aquire it than almost anyone else.  If you wanted to give one to a Kell Hound, no one would really mind (untill you started shooting at them with it). 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2011, 20:39:54 »
I personally prefer the 4S. As tough as the 10S is, 3/5 is just too slow for a Battlemaster, as far as I'm concerned. When I think of a Battlemaster, I think of a mech that can keep pace with slower heavy mechs while mounting heavier armor and firepower. The 10S can't do that.  The K4 can, with the wonderful inclusion of improved jump jets.  The XLE is a bit of a turn-off, but it's mobile enough and has enough firepower to make it work.  Plus, it can more or less keep pace with even faster heavies once the terrain gets nasty.

It's also worth pointing out that the 6X is not nearly as execrable as the large XXL would seem to indicate. IS XXLs aren't much worse than IS XLs, and it's got plenty of armor and firepower.  Granted, you could save five tons by dropping five tons, but I think it's still usable. Then again, I'm an unabashed sufferer from chronic incurable new toy syndrome, AND I love the Battlemaster, so I might not be especially impartial.

Oh, and while I know it isn't an option, I have to once more mention the virtues of the Battlemaster C. It is one of the few exceptions to my rule that Clan mechs need to have at least one gun able to do more than 7 damage to as single location. Its ability to do such appalling piles of damage without a lot of heat, accurately no less, makes it a threat to essentially every single thing. Little stuff gets hit no matter the speed, big stuff gets sandblasted, flying stuff gets flakked, tanks get critted, battle armor get pulse lasered. I suppose it lacks anti-infantry weapons. Darn.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2011, 20:43:58 »
It's got two legs, what more do you want?  There REALLY ought to be a higher morale check for infantry when a mech is playing football with Bob next to you.  }:)
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 27 December 2011, 01:57:34 »
Reviving an old thread....

Thoughts on the -4L model? How would you use one differently than say, the -4S?

Despite the TRO-3085 fluff that says it's based on the -3M, it appears to be very different, with a LGR, MML, 2 LPPCs and 2 ER Medium Lasers (and stealth armor).

I'm also wondering if it physically resembles the original Battlemaster or the "Phoenix" variants.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2011, 02:39:02 by Alan Grant »

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 27 December 2011, 04:05:03 »
Reviving an old thread....

Thoughts on the -4L model? How would you use one differently than say, the -4S?

Despite the TRO-3085 fluff that says it's based on the -3M, it appears to be very different, with a LGR, MML, 2 LPPCs and 2 ER Medium Lasers (and stealth armor).

I'm also wondering if it physically resembles the original Battlemaster or the "Phoenix" variants.

I have never used it or even taken a particularly detailed look at the stats, but based on the described arsenal it sounds like it should be a fairly conventional design.  Annoy and/or draw people out with the extreme range of the LGR, then switch long range direct fire support with the Stealth Armor for extra protection.  If things close on you you can dump the Stealth for the lasers and swap to SRMs to make people go away, and the Jump Jets will help make up for the lack of speed.  The firepower seems a bit lacking and the minimum ranges make me a bit wary of close combat, but it should work well enough as a general purpose assault anchor without costing too much.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #13 on: 27 December 2011, 09:00:13 »
This mech is, in my mind, what the heavy PPC was designed for

or dual SNPPCs... it does kinda look like a dual-barrel gun O0

With a targeting computer!
Freeborn and proud~

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 27 December 2011, 16:24:25 »
One variant i always loved our group's first gm had back in 91 took of the classic SRM6 for a streak 4 pack.  dropped the 2 rear MLs and 4 of the 3S double heat sinks (14 still there), maxed the armor and added an ER large laser to pair up the ER PPC.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
Re: Talk to me about.....the Battlemaster Jazy Jeff, Dad?
« Reply #15 on: 13 January 2023, 18:12:58 »
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2023, 01:33:56 »
Also, the 3s, with the LRM020 for long, and SIX medium pulses plus the SRM 6 for short, is decent..
Also liked the BLR-1Gbc, with the twin ER ppcs, 4ml's and a large pulse..

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #17 on: 14 January 2023, 16:56:28 »
https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/13130-fang-of-the-sun-dougram/page/2/#comments

Never will i look at a Unseen BLR ever the same again :D
puts the joke about "davion tracksuit guards" into a new light as well.. :)

(art from Bishop Steiner on FB)

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #18 on: 14 January 2023, 19:22:29 »
icing on the cake, sir :D
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 14 January 2023, 19:34:14 »
Ok,  gotta paint one up in those exact colors, track suited body and gray arms and feet.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 15 January 2023, 01:44:18 »
puts the joke about "davion tracksuit guards" into a new light as well.. :)

(art from Bishop Steiner on FB)

Those pictures remind me of the Transformers UK comic, where the autobots (without prime's knowledge) built that armor for Buster Witwicky, and he fought (and defeated) Frenzy, but lost to Shockwave..

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 15 January 2023, 18:52:14 »
Even though this an old thread, I'd add in the Royal Battlemaster as well.  Two ER PPCs, 4 medium lasers, and a large pulse laser with 18 DHS (I believe) with Endo Steel, on an 85 ton chassis is a great energy boat. 

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 16 January 2023, 01:10:31 »
I like that one too..  Though just playing around, i wonder how well a UAC-10 one would be?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 16 January 2023, 01:15:50 »
The Bigfoot (Battlemaster) and Hasty (Thunderbolt) have smoke dischargers instead of Battletech's med lasers.

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/13130-fang-of-the-sun-dougram/page/2/#comments

Never will i look at a Unseen BLR ever the same again :D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2023, 20:55:04 »
I like that one too..  Though just playing around, i wonder how well a UAC-10 one would be?

You could probably make a reasonable Ultra 10 version using the 4S as a basis.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 17 January 2023, 01:30:58 »
The Battlemaster looked like it could have had a Blazer loadout, because of the dual barrels.  It can be done, and depends on what you want to drop for the tonnage needed. 

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 17 January 2023, 17:14:18 »
You could probably make a reasonable Ultra 10 version using the 4S as a basis.

Check out the thread i just made in the variants sub-forum!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #27 on: 17 January 2023, 18:08:36 »
The Battlemaster looked like it could have had a Blazer loadout, because of the dual barrels.  It can be done, and depends on what you want to drop for the tonnage needed.
you can actually do it easily by pulling the PPC, MG's, and MG ammo off the -1G.
you lose a few hexes of range over the PPC, but not much, and the battlemaster is one of the few designs able to actually handle a blazer's heat in the late succession wars.

Register