Author Topic: Battle Armor of the Week - Kopis  (Read 15010 times)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Re: Battle Armor of the Week - Kopis
« Reply #30 on: 03 April 2013, 17:43:50 »
Those rules I always found odd.
A Light suit with space adaption, torch, mg, vibroclaw gets marine values that far exceed the actual combat value of it's one point of armor.  ::)

The Kopis, on the other hand. will have serious problems getting there, but I trust it's gonna present some problems once it enters a ship.
If only the question of how to get through doors without tearing the ship apart.^^
It is reasonably fearsome to a ship crew at point blank range.  >:D

How will it have problems "getting there"? Most marines in space are delivered by shuttle. EVA is suicidal. Also marine rules apply to entering any large structure.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 10 April 2013, 14:58:20 »
For anti-infantry work, I'd have thought the logical swap would have been for SPLS
Thats what I was thinking.  Maybe with some arm-mount flamers just to be over the top.  (If the weights add up, I'm not familiar enough with BA construction to do it accurately away from my books.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 10 April 2013, 20:56:56 »
You can use a Heavy and std. Flamer.
Though I'd prefer Plasma Rifles if we go down that route.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 11 April 2013, 07:37:00 »
Area effect is pretty good anti-infantry, right? Replace the MLs with DWP-mounted BA arty... ^-^

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 11 April 2013, 08:07:39 »
Well, with DWPs it won't move. we kinda went there already.
I suppose on the existing frame, you could take heavy Mortars and Firedrakes.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #35 on: 11 April 2013, 12:33:33 »
Area effect is pretty good anti-infantry, right? Replace the MLs with DWP-mounted BA arty... ^-^

BA artillery is only really useful in that role because it's being fired en masse by the entire squad.  It also exposes the firing squad to counter-battery fire.  If I'm going to expend one of my limited number ofshots and risk someone deciding to express their annoyance with a Thumper tube, I'm going to do it for a bigger reward than maybe severely damaging but definitely not killing one infantry platoon (assuming it starts at full strength).

That said, I can see some potential as a concealed artillery platform in that modification.  I just wouldn't want to use it for killing infantry unless there's literally nothing better to conserve my ammo (and potentially suits) for.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, AE damage may be doubled against infantry, which makes this significantly more likely to kill a platoon outright.  Still not really worth it in my opinion but more useful, I admit.  I'll have to look at TW later.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2013, 12:44:17 by Moonsword »

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #36 on: 26 December 2013, 14:45:09 »
RS3145 NTNU gives us three new variants of the Kopis.

The first is the (AI Mk II) which showed up in 3090. Another anti infantry variant it runs twin Heavy Recoilless Rifles, a pair of Heavy Grenade Launchers, and improved sensors. 3 Damage at 7 hexes is solid enough. Lots of D6s against infantry. The only problem is there aren't extra ammo clips for the grenade launchers meaning you have to choose your ammo with care.

The (AI Mk IIr) appeared after 3116 when the Xiphos came out. This downgrades the HRRs for Medium Recoilless Rifles but gains Reactive Armor. Not a big fan of Reactive Armor on BA myself. Depends how much you  face missiles and artillery I guess.

The final variant is the (Mortar). This strips all the weapons and sensors for Reactive Armor and a pair of Heavy Mortars. There is not enough free tonnage for extra ammo, meaning choosing your rounds with care. The Reactive Armor is for counter battery fire, though I don't know of many units that can attempt it. That said the (Mortar) should be a solid city fighter.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 26 December 2013, 16:08:31 »
The AI Mk II and MkIIr were my attempts to improve on my total failure with the original AI variant. While the base model has been greatly praised, I really did a stinker for anti-infantry.

And even with Silybrit and Johannes looking over my shoulder, I still don't think I hit the mark to well.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 26 December 2013, 17:03:10 »
I'd disagree.  #P

A pair of HRRs make for decent anti-infantry firepower using Inner Sphere tech - a squad could kill an average of 42 PBIs per turn if both HRRs hit, before even considering the HGLs - and they aren't too shabby if you have to deal with armored targets. You also technically have a range advantage over many infantry platoons, although that one hex advantage and the slow speed make that hard to actually exploit. More importantly, the twin weapons returns to the theme set by the standard Kopis, as opposed to the mismatched set we get with the original Anti-Infantry variant. The HGLs also keep somewhat to the cosmetic theme, mimicking the APWMs. Some might have prefered some type of MG instead (I liked the idea of HMGs), but GLs don't get used much so their inclusion matches the 3145 theme of trying to encourage little used weaponry.

The refit version doesn't lose much by going for MRRs instead of HRRs. The extra reach can be hard to use anyway, as noted above, although the better range brackets will sometimes be the difference between a hit or not. The Reactive armor could be much more telling than the range/accuracy issues, although it's highly dependant upon the enemy and what they bring to the fight.

Given that we were trying to avoid flamers, and without Clantech, I think both variants do well.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 26 December 2013, 19:22:47 »
I'd disagree.  #P

Given that we were trying to avoid flamers, and without Clantech, I think both variants do well.

I'd agree with sillybrit...although I have my own ideas about what I would have done with the design, of course, to make good anti-infantry...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #40 on: 11 January 2014, 05:47:39 »
Does reactive armor affect inferno missiles?

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 11 January 2014, 07:20:19 »
I think that'd be fire resistant missilesarmour.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2014, 18:46:38 by UnLimiTeD »

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #42 on: 13 January 2014, 16:51:03 »
Does reactive armor affect inferno missiles?

No.

Molossian Dog IIC

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the sword ... die by dysentery.
« Reply #43 on: 14 January 2014, 13:46:39 »
Oh, another behind the scenes tidbit.

We ran out of schedule time, so Brent couldn't finish the art as much as he wanted. The roughly sketched hunk of armor, under the Kopis' claw, is supposed to be the helmet of a Djinn battle suit.

You know what? I was wondering about exactly that the first time I saw the picture. And each and every time I came upon it since.