Author Topic: The Wolves and the Dragons (AU)  (Read 99408 times)

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
Re: The Wolves and the Dragons (AU)
« Reply #270 on: 23 February 2013, 17:47:56 »
What happens if it is rogue elements within the FWL............ Oh, right, forget I mentioned it  ???

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #271 on: 23 February 2013, 19:50:33 »
What happens if it is rogue elements within the FWL............ Oh, right, forget I mentioned it  ???

Rogue Elements of the FWL? Isn't that Blakist Speak for Followers of Blake? I see we have a Word Sympathiser here... off with his head.

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #272 on: 24 February 2013, 03:40:04 »

Good one! *snicker*

ps:
VhenRa, there's no Word (yet), but this is the League, at least half of them are "rogue" by some standards...

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #273 on: 25 February 2013, 14:22:45 »
=========================================================
Across the Inner Sphere
18 March 3028

"We have breaking news: In apparent retaliation for the nuclear attack on a 'Mech factory on Al Na'ir, the Draconis Combine is claiming to have detonated a nuclear weapon on Tikonov, which Federated Suns forces captured late last year. Tikonov is one of the few heavily industrialized worlds of the Capellan Confederation, which could point to a breaking down of the so-called Kapteyn Accords which see the Draconis Combine, Capellan Confederation, and the Free Worlds League in an alliance against the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth. The statement comes from Luthien itself. This is the second use of a nuclear device in as many months and has halted most active operations from nearly all combatants as the Inner Sphere watches the spectre of the nuclear annihilation rise again---"

"I'm not surprised at all, Diane. Whether it was Marcus or Theodore, a Kurita ordered it. Have we forgotten just how brutal they were during the First Succession War? Do you honestly not see them not reciprocating? No, a Kurita was behind this. Doesn't matter which one--"

"There is no reason for the League stay in this alliance!--I disagree, this was a great step forward--When will we talk about Andurien again?--What is the Captain-General---Terra!--The time is right for us to--"

"Karma. The Crucis Lancers' cowardly nuclear strike on Yori 'Mech Works' assembly plant on Al Na'ir, which killed tens of thousands of innocent civilians, was repaid last week. The Wolf's Dragoons were tasked to retake the factory from the Davions and withstood hours of siege. Unable to break the Dragoon's stalwart defense, and unwilling to lose yet another factory, the Davions launched a tactical nuclear weapon at the facility. Fortunately, the Wolf's Dragoons were able to evacuate just before the weapon detonated. The 8th Crucis Lancers has been wiped out by their own leaders' incompetent and cowardly attack."

"Absolutely nothing happened last week on Tikonov."

===========================

Redacted. For now.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2013, 08:36:25 by Marwynn »

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #274 on: 26 February 2013, 16:13:04 »
Gymnasium 26, Kalena Valley, Dieron
Dieron Military District, Draconis Combine
22 March 3029

The small tank fought to get purchase on the pebbled ground, its treads whirling until it bit down to the dirt. It rocketed forward, hurling dust and debris behind it as its turret swung to the horizon. Three other tanks nearby were only a few seconds behind the first, and their turrets were already aimed in the same direction.

Michi saw this and approved the tank crews' response time. They hailed from all over the Dieron district, ferried to the capital by the Order of Five Pillars to be trained to fight by the DCMS. The abbreviated boot camp was actually an improvement over what normal DCMS infantrymen received before Minobu Tetsuhara implemented the new training programs.

Dieron itself rotated out a few regiments of well-trained infantry and tanks every few months.

This would be the first batch to use the Tanegashima Light Tanks. Fusion engines... on tanks. Lavish.

He moved to another terminal and watched the tank lance's 'enemies' for the exercise pound forward. The captured Hatchetman in its lead was a new design as well, wielding a massive axe in its wake. The exercise was meant to prepare the tank crews against Federated Suns--and Lyran--'Mechs.

The four tanks fired as one--a mistake, Michi thought, even as three of the shots found their mark. Staggering fire control was essential for the vehicles as they couldn't afford to rely on their armour against 'Mechs in a stand-up fight.

He shook his head and a young chu-i raised an eyebrow at him.

"They're maintaining the same speed and vector," he clarified for the younger officer.

"I don't understand," the officer came forward. "Is it not wise to maintain formation?"

"Hai," Michi said, then smiled. "It's also wise to not be an easy target."

The Hatchetman spat a ragged line at the tanks, its autocannon's paint-rounds virtually mangling the lead tank's treads. It slewed to a stop as the three other tanks swerved away. The 45-ton 'Mech closed in and brought down its axe to lightly ding the tank's crew compartment.

The simulators recorded it as a kill, and the 'Mech moved on, flashing its low-powered lasers at the zooming Tanegashimas which were now facing missile fire from a Valkyrie and a Commando. Two more tanks were disabled; the fourth one broke off and stayed as far away as it could and hurled lightning bolts from afar.

Gymnasium 26's control room lights flicked, and the simulation was over. The last flight of missiles from the Dervish tore apart the tank's Lord's Light PPC, its one remaining weapon, ending the simulation. Training sessions in the gymnasiums were one part simulation, one part field-exercise. It required using the actual warmachines in the field, even on Dieron's limited open spaces, and it worked out a lot of the things that training left unmanaged.

Like tactics.

"Chu-i... Faldmer. What should the tank commander have done differently?" Michi asked, in his most subtlest imitation of his sensei.

The young woman snapped into attention then considered her words. He appreciated that, many simply opened their mouths and hoped their brilliance would reveal itself.

Finally, she spoke. "The Tanegashima's high speed and fast-track turret leads one to believe it is best used for in-fighting---even with a PPC as its only weapon," she added quickly. "The last tank was too far to do much good, but still within range of LRMs. So, the best use would have been in charging the enemy and maintaining medium range after that. Break up into pairs to peel off the lighter 'Mechs."

Michi nodded. "When are they scheduled next?" he asked, bringing up his wristputer.

Chu-i Faldmer, a recent graduate herself of Proserpina University, checked a terminal for the details. "They are due back tomorrow along with the two other lances of their company; Gym 33 at 1100 hours sho-sa."

"Good," he said tapping it into his calendar. "Brief the company and prepare them for the next exercise. I'll be observing," he said, leaving behind the suddenly overburdened young woman.

So that's what that feels like... Michi thought, smiling inwardly as he tapped out a report for his sensei. From the look in her eyes he knew she had already begun preparing a lecture, hoping she could impart some tactical wisdom. If this works out, we'll have another officer worth their rank.

His comm vibrated and he read the message.

Michi Noketsuna ran.

« Last Edit: 26 February 2013, 16:19:29 by Marwynn »

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #275 on: 26 February 2013, 16:22:55 »
Fort Draconis, Dieron
22 March 3029

"The Capellan Confederation is attacking us," Michi said again, still unbelieving.

Tai-shu Minobu Tetsuhara nodded, still dazed as he was.

"Are they stupid?"

"No."

"Then why?" Michi turned to his mentor. "Surely, they can't blame us for--"

"--Of course, they can. They already have," Minobu said, thrusting his chin out at the display.

Radar tracks had identified them immediately; two 'Mech regiments' worth of transports jumped at a pirate point a half hour ago and started burning towards Dieron as soon as they detached from their JumpShips.

They had enough fighter cover to overwhelm the bolstered aerospace patrol at the pirate point. It was only the Capellans' aerospace fighter silhouettes that identified them as CCAF.

Michi tapped at the console and read the reports he called up. "Still no comm contact. They are still coming in at 2.5Gs. What do we do?" The flatscreen blinked, updating the numbers and estimated DropShip-classes.

"We welcome them as foolhardy allies until we know more," the Warlord said, turning to a waiting aide that brought reports for him to glance through. "You were right, sho-sa," Minobu announced for everyone's benefit. "Those JumpShips are Combine merchant vessels. The Confederation seized them."

Michi bowed, and felt curious eyes re-evaluating him. He felt nothing but sadness. The seeds of Theodore Kurita's actions are blossoming...

The Tai-shu nodded, then spared a moment to walk around the war room to speak with various officers, steadying them and absorbing a clearer picture of his forces.

All around, the men and women stood straighter, moved more carefully, as Minobu Tetsuhara's calm extended from him. His sensei's eyes fell on him, and Michi knew he had been summoned.

He approached, bringing up his wristputer.

"I want the trainees ready. You were at the Gymnasiums, do we have any officers we can entrust to command them?" asked Warlord Dieron.

"Hai, we have a few that can be trusted," Michi said, thinking of the young chu-i earlier. "You want them to liaise with the 5th Sword of Light?"

Minobu nodded. "Make it clear that the liaisons answer to me directly."

Michi bowed and called up Chu-i Faldmer from his comm. He explained the situation as briefly as he could, and field-promoted her to tai-i--and waited for the listening Minobu Tetsuhara to nod in agreement--and take command of the various trainees.

He was thankful for Minobu's foresight; the 5th Sword of Light were brutal samurai, and Tai-sho Palmer Conti would have sent the trainees to their deaths needlessly. The Sworders returned with a third of their conventional assets and demanded immediate replacements. Minobu had been sure Tai-sho Conti would have sided with Marcus Kurita over Theodore, and maybe he did. But so far, the despicable warrior had obeyed the Warlord in everything.

We differ in one regard; we'd gladly send them to their deaths, but not without need. Is that enough? Michi felt a shiver and knew his sensei's eyes were on him.

Michi moved in closer. "Sensei, what happens when--if we discover they are no longer allies?"

Minobu Tetsuhara's eyes glinted hard. "Then we kill them all and send their headless corpses to Sian."

« Last Edit: 26 February 2013, 16:51:49 by Marwynn »

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #276 on: 26 February 2013, 16:46:56 »
I like this guy. Kill them all, the gods will surely know their own.
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #277 on: 26 February 2013, 17:39:50 »
This is certainly one out of left field, one has to wonder if this is a Comstar False Flag op like the Death Commando attack on the NAIS in canon?

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #278 on: 26 February 2013, 18:17:33 »
Ok, this is a shock...the Capellans attacking the Draconis Combine? How long has it been since THAT happened?

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #279 on: 26 February 2013, 18:28:13 »
1st SW I'll bet.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #280 on: 26 February 2013, 18:51:30 »
My money it's not the Capellans, if they're selling Cataphract parts to the Combine why would they attack the?

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #281 on: 27 February 2013, 01:30:04 »
The Capellans needed Tikonov badly.
Teaching the DC a lesson will be interesting as the Cappies love their nukes.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #282 on: 27 February 2013, 22:14:18 »
Why not Zoidberg?  ^-^

=========================================================

Li Po, An Ting
Galedon Military District, Draconis Combine
23 March 3028

Kester Hsiun Chi stood solemnly in the shadow of a burnt out skyscraper. The tower of plasteel and ferroglass had crumpled and melted under the guns of the 41st Avalon Hussars. Now it was a twisted monument, diffracting the setting sun.

The buildings in the area, one of the many hubs of Li Po, were just as wrecked; shattered roads lead to groves of burnt husks. He had strode on the streets of many dead cities, dead worlds, in service to the Combine. The Inner Sphere was littered with them; tomb worlds, he called them.

But this was fresh devastation. Not much more than six months old.

Silently, the Warlord of the Galedon Military District prayed for forgiveness to whomever was listening. He had taken a chance, and in the grand scheme of things, Kester knew he won more for the Dragon than he lost. But not even An Ting's heavy rainfalls could wash away the blood that had been baked on the streets in one night of bloodletting.

This was precisely what Takashi Kurita insisted I avoid when he set me loose. He offered up a prayer, he realized he did so a lot these days, for the soul of the departed Coordinator.

One of the guards he brought along coughed discreetly, and Kester gathered his thoughts.

His visitor was swathed in shadow. Grey ash clung to his massive armoured form, obscuring him from the limited light of the streets.

"What have you found?" Kester asked, quietly.

"You're not gonna like it," the man said with a hidden smile. His breathing was audible, and the Warlord could detect the slight ping of filters. The voice was electronic. Impersonal. Cold.

"I find very little to like about this already," Kester said, raising a hand at the devastation.

"Oh? You Kuritans do it often enough; figured you must get a kick out of--"

"--Enough."

The man shifted. Kester was sure it was a man beyond the shadows. He didn't particularly care, but he hated mysteries.

"It was the 41st Avalon Hussars," the man said.

Kester sighed. Nodding to himself, he began to speak.

"And, it wasn't the 41st Avalon Hussars," the man continued.

The Warlord was not in the mood to be toyed with. He glared into the dark.

"Graham checks out. He didn't order the attack, no one in the chain of command did."

"But the pilots were from the 41st Hussars?" Kester said unbelievingly.

"The pilots of the two 'Mechs that were brought down and recovered. At least, pieces of them did..." the sound cut off suddenly, and Kester could feel... laughter from the other man.

Warlord Galedon digested the news then looked up suddenly. Somehow, he knew was looking the other man in the eyes. "What of the other attacks?" An Ting was only the first world to suffer the Suns' spite; civilian centres on neighbouring systems were also attacked, though not as completely as Li Po. A fifth of the capital city had burned in one night.

"That part of the investigation will have to wait," the man said, shifting in the shadows. Kester made out a hint of green before the figure faded out from view. "There is the matter of the contract."

Kester nodded. The man had been hired to pursue Marshal Kenney Graham, the commanding officer of the 41st Avalon Hussars, the one blamed for the razing of Li Po.

A soft duffel bag fell in front of Kester.

"I've taken my fee for the legwork," the man said. "Now, we re-negotiate."

Warlord Galedon suddenly stepped forward, listening intently for the scraping of the man's metal boots as he took a step backwards. He smiled inwardly when he heard it. "You wouldn't re-negotiate unless you already had a lead."

"No, I wouldn't."

"Tell me and you can keep the whole fee."

"Tempting. But no."

The Warlord sneered into the shadows. "What does the new contract entail?"

"Travel. Lots of travel."

"Timeline?"

"I can't say."

"Won't? Or can't?"

"Yes."

"Where would you--" the Warlord whirled suddenly as battlefield instincts kicked in. The autorifle fire killed two of his most visible bodyguards before he could warn them, but the three hidden in the ruins returned fire right away.

His Nakjima laser service pistol was out of its holster and firing at the nearest blasts, even as he ducked into cover. The laser light seared his eyes, but long years of campaigning accustomed him to it. That, and he was expecting the sudden glare.

The attackers didn't. The afterimages left in his eyes showed small forms, tightly clothed or just thin, caught by surprise. His bodyguards caught two turning around to flee, hurling them to the broken ground with pulses of coherent light.

Warlord Chi turned and felt his visitor had disappeared.

He heard a sudden gasp above him and saw, by the fading sunlight, the glint of a long blade's tip portruding from a young woman's belly. She had a heavy pistol aimed down at him that fell from her twitching grasp. Her mouth gargled open and she slid from the weapon that ended her.

Scavengers... just starving children... Shame and rage burned him then.

The visitor flicked his arm and the blades retracted into his vambrace, a splash of red on ashen green.

Finally, he looked up and inclined his head.

"That one wasn't free," the man said, dangling the duffel bag in his other hand. "Now. The contract?"

Kester Hsiun Chi checked the charge then holstered his pistol.

"Where will you go?"

"Not far at all, Warlord. In fact you'd be very familiar with it."

Kester raised an eyebrow.

The armoured man sighed and shouldered the duffel bag.

"Pesht."

« Last Edit: 27 February 2013, 22:17:40 by Marwynn »

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #283 on: 27 February 2013, 22:47:53 »
And no disintegrations
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #284 on: 02 March 2013, 23:20:02 »
Honestly, I didn't see the resemblance until you pointed it out... Huh.

Busy week, hence the scarce updates. More incoming tomorrow.

======================================

South of Aldinga City, Mateo Continent, Dieron
24 March 3028

The Vindicator flexed its knees as it fell on the hilltop on a gout of flame. It speared a nearby Panther painted blood-red with a stream of particles before lifting off again, leaving the lighter 'Mech stumbling.

The Sword of Light pilot didn't bother chasing after the Vindicator, flights of indirectly fired missiles were already falling on his position. Behind it, two Grand Dragons loosed their own missile flights at the diminishing lock on the Medium 'Mech as they worked their way up the hill.

Further behind, another Panther lay prone, its armoured legs shorn off by mines. The three other Sword of Light 'Mechs sported leg damage as well, making the literal uphill battle even more brutal.

The swarm of long range missiles battered the remaining Panther but it kept its footing even at the catastrophic loss of armour. The two Heavy 'Mechs waited until the lighter one steadied, and one Grand Dragon raised an arm, ordering the damaged Light to crest the hill.

Or threatening him with a particle cannon blast, Tai-sho Palmer Conti couldn't tell. Nor did he care, as he enhanced the zoom on his HUD. The Panther pilot screamed and lit up his own jumpjets to land beyond his line of sight.

Moments later, the two 60-ton 'Mechs crested the hilltop and charged down.

Palmer waited a few seconds then saw the explosion's shockwave.

Another minefield... he thought, slamming his fist down on the command couch's armrest. These damned Capellans won't stand and fight! The more Palmer thought about it, the more he preferred fighting Steiners or Davions. They had the dignity or the skill to fight head-to-head.

But here, in the foothills around Aldinga, he couldn't bring the full force of the 5th Sword of Light to bear. They outranged him and weren't ashamed of it; they mined and ambushed gleefully; they fought like murderers.

In two days the 5th Sword of Light's numerical advantage had been whittled down. Now, he had numerical parity with Kincade's Rangers, a regiment Palmer had never heard of before. It gnawed at him that a regular regiment was battering one of the Combine's elite, but there was little he could do.

The city of Aldinga, on the northernmost Mateo continent, was hemmed in by three mountain ranges, and their foothills were the city's outskirts. From the sky, the city looked like an infection of steel and and charcoal, grasping out to the mountains.

Like the Steel Valley on Quentin... Palmer remembered, briefly smelling the memory of ashen air.

The Rangers never fought fair, always mining their advances with Thunder munitions, ready to spew Infernos at overheating 'Mechs with suicidal infantry, and always willing to retreat. He scorned them two days ago when he lead the sortie to break their seige.

It took the loss of two companies of 'Mechs within an hour of fruitless charges before he pulled back. And he lost another company on the retreat.

Salvage operations were impossible. Even if the downed 'Mechs were recoverable, they were rigged with explosives or other, more subtle, forms of sabotage. And for once, the civilians were turning to him for protection when random Capellan soldiers started to appear in Aldinga's streets, firing randomly at herds of factory workers.

Palmer zoomed out and grunted in frustration. The shame of his failure would require seppuku soon if he did not snatch victory.

If only-- his commpanel beeped, demanding his attention.

He maneuvered his 'Mech to direct line-of-sight to the regiment's mobile headquarters. The laserlink was established and his HUD image showed Minobu Testuhara, Warlord Dieron.

"Tai-sho. Progress?"

Palmer didn't allow the Warlord's terseness to bother him. In truth, he admired Warlord Tetsuhara for his adherence to the samurai way. He just hated the man, but he hated a lot of people, so that was nothing special.

"None," he answered truthfully. "Though I have a scheme."

The Warlord tilted his head slightly, inquisitively.

"Kincade's Rangers grounded their supply DropShip in the Caleriz valley. It runs between the west and south mountain ranges," he elaborated. He could see Minobu calling up the valley on his headquarters' holomap.

"Will you attempt a combat drop?

Palmer smiled. He remembered that he also admired Minobu's keen tactical sense. I'll miss that when he's dead...

"I wanted to, tai-shu. But the Capellans have brought plenty of anti-air and we have seen little of their aerospace fighters since they arrived."

Minobu nodded.

"No," Palmer said resignedly, "I have another plan. The valley is actually part of a minor fault line, and there has been extensive mining in that area. A small team can infiltrate and destroy, or even capture that DropShip."

The Warlord's eyes widened in surprise, then he dipped his head, one samurai to another; the admission that he couldn't accomplish his objectives conventionally cost him some honour. But Minobu wasn't judging him for it.

Perhaps I'll name one of my bastards after him...

"How are things proceeding there?" Palmer asked, genuinely concerned.

"Well enough, Tai-sho Conti. Here, the terrain does not favour the Capellans as much as it does them there."

Palmer bowed in appreciation and the Warlord severed the link.

"I will miss that samurai..." he whispered.

He tapped into the commpanel, dialing into the civilian network. Moments passed and an electronically distorted voice answered.

Palmer sighed. "This is Gold. Proceed."

« Last Edit: 02 March 2013, 23:22:51 by Marwynn »

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #285 on: 02 March 2013, 23:32:51 »
So if its the Cappies, they are sure able to handle the 5th Sword.  Nice to see where the loyalty of Tai-Sho Palmer lays at.  Looking forward to more updates!

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #286 on: 03 March 2013, 00:05:31 »
Teach the Snakes to sell that lostech to the Cappies :D I can see Palmer if he lives hunting down the folks who decided giving the Thunder LRM tech to the Confederation.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #287 on: 03 March 2013, 08:34:58 »
Yeah, the "classic Capellan" doctrine seems to punish the "classic Sworder" doctrine quite well.

And that's my headcanon getting in the way; the CCAF is the sole user of Thunder LRMs, but the munitions do get captured and passed around.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #288 on: 03 March 2013, 19:52:09 »
It is enjoyable to see the 5th SOL getting creamed by Capellans. ;D
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #289 on: 03 March 2013, 19:54:33 »
even better, nobody Cappies
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #290 on: 04 March 2013, 15:25:15 »
I've re-written this no less than six times already. I may do so again, but the effect will be the same.

Sorry for the delay.

======================================

Fort Draconis, Dieron
25 March 3028

Minobu sat, nursing a cup of cooling tea in his hands, as he watched the recon drones' feeds.

The automated machines had been a fact of war for a thousand years, but in the last five hundred they had been too conspicuous to be used except against the most primitive of opponents. His current opponents were not primitive. But neither did they expect such simple machines.

Mentally, he commended Tai-sho Conti for deploying these drones. He is a problem-solver that prefers the most direct solutions. Minobu appreciated that the man was flexible enough to adjust. His only worry was that the man's honour would overshadow his sense of duty; so far, it had not.

The drones flew at night, close by the mountains, riding the updrafts like birds though with far keener eyes.

This sole advantage, even a night-time one, was why the 5th Sword of Light had yet to be routed. Try as he might, Warlord Tetsuhara could not help but be galled at that; Capellans had long been the military joke of the Inner Sphere, and yet one of the Combine's flagship regiments had been unable to grapple with such a minor unit that the ISF brief he had on hand hand't been updated in a decade.

I will make my displeasure known-- Minobu thought then caught himself. He barked out a laugh, startling his aides who had taken the opportunity to rest after a long day at the consoles. 'Make my displeasure known'... when did I start thinking this way?

Amused at his mind's choice of words, he almost didn't catch the brief spurt of light at the Kincade Rangers' supply base.

He called up the feed to fill the whole wall.

Moments passed, and he realized it was just a cargo truck's lights. The amplification circuits in the drones were sensitive, they had to be. A yawning tech bowed at him, already moving to make adjustments to the feed and resetting the views.

Unashamedly, Michi Noketsuna appeared at his side and placed a tray of food in front of him. Dinner had been three hours ago, but the meal facing him was freshly cooked.

He glared at his 'student', downed his tea in one boorish gulp, and picked the apple on the tray, ignoring the steamed fish and rice.

Minobu glanced up at the younger man and flashed a grin as he bit down on the apple. The tai-i, no--the sho-sa--Minobu reminded himself, sighed long-sufferingly and handed off the tray to a passing tech.

"How are the trainees faring?" Minobu asked, in between bites of the apple.

"Not well, sensei," the imp was no longer ashamed of calling him that. "The Capellans do love their long-range missiles--"

"--Which outrange our beloved particle projectile cannon--"

"--which leaves the new tanks horribly outmatched. Even the lightest minefield can disable a Tanegashima, and a flight with standard warheads can crush a tank easily enough; still, most of our losses so far have been due to tread damage not direct battle damage," Michi said, sliding down to sit beside him.

"They are frustrated," Minobu observed.

"Hai, they were trained to fight in the open like the tanks were meant to. And they are, but minefields were as not something we trained them for. At least not to this extent. The combat VTOLs are ineffective as well, thanks to the ridiculous amounts of light autocannon they wield... That leaves our 'Mechs exposed."

"I expect that oversight to be fixed for the next batch of trainees."

Michi dipped his head. "Once we figure out how, yes sensei."

Minobu gnawed on the apple core, letting his student fume for a moment. "Out with it, whelp."

"Theodore-sama's tactics are failing us!" Michi said in a harsh whisper.

The Warlord stilled himself then gave the slightest nod for the young man to continue.

"He preached combined arms; fine, we've learned the same from the Wolf's Dragoons. And yet those lessons are useless against a force we outnumber? One comprised mostly of battered 'Mechs and some infantry!"

Minobu thrust his chin forward at the recon feeds on the Mateo continent. "Do you expect the traditional ways to fare any better? There goes one of our best, and they flounder against the CCAF."

"No, sensei. But I feel that..." Michi trailed off, looking away uncomfortably.

"You did not learn any restraint from me, imp. Out with it."

Michi turned to him, frustration in his eyes. "What if what the men say is true? That we are weakening ourselves by relying on other warriors--" the young man held up a hand, "--that our lesser emphasis on BattleMechs has left our MechWarriors... well, lesser."

"The Genyosha," Minobu volunteered.

Michi bowed thankfully. "They have armour, they have infantry, even artillery. But they are superlative MechWarriors first." The sho-sa leaned back in his seat. "Even the Wolf's Dragoons would have trouble, lesser trouble since they have more jumpjet-equipped 'Mechs, but their doctrine would leave their conventional assets exposed or underused."

"Settle your nerves, whelp. I have meditated much on this and have come to the same conclusions as you."

Minobu tried not to smile as Michi's eyes watered and the younger man bowed.

It takes courage, and a certain... diregard, to approach a superior with this. You are bold, young Michi.

"The Ryuken are fine counters to the Davions, even the Steiners," Warlord Tetsuhara began, "but they are not a model for the entire DCMS. Takashi Kurita was wise to form the Genyosha and the Ryuken, both as shields and swords."

He rose from his seat, stretching as he placed his hands behind his back. "Most of the DCMS cannot follow in the Ryuken's path. They are too... integrated. I trained them to be, we built them to be." He rounded on his pupil. "However, I believe any of the Ryuken could meet and best these Rangers or Highlanders in whatever terrain they'd choose."

"I do as well, sensei," Michi added.

"Hmph. Well, it was also our mistake in exposing the Dieron Regulars to much of the Dragoons' doctrines." Minobu paused for a moment. "Ideally, I would request that a battalion of the Genyosha be transferred to the Dieron district and rove about, training what regiments it could. But the Coordinator has need of his elite troops."

Michi looked up at him. "Why did Takashi-sama create two similar but fundamentally opposing schools?"

Minobu had meditated on that question himself, surprised at the young man's keenness. "What purpose does making Hetzers serve, sho-sa, when you can build Hunchbacks?" He smiled down at the young officer, assuring him it was no trick question.

"You can have a battalion of Hetzers," Sho-sa Noketsuna ventured, "before even one Hunchback is built."

Minobu nodded solemnly.

"Successor Lords are not like us, Michi," Minobu said slowly. "Especially, a Kurita Lord. The Dragon looks at more than just the present." Minobu glanced at the drones' displays. "Takashi-sama knew a war was coming, maybe not as part of the Fox's wedding plans, but war was inevitable."

"And the Ryuken... are shields too, not just swords," Michi responded slowly to his sensei's relief. "They were meant to guard the Draconis Combine until the Genyosha could flourish--with the samurai ideal perfected."

"Close. We selected MechWarriors who didn't consider themselves samurai for entrance to the Ryuken," Minobu confessed, "and we had a large pool to choose from. And combined arms is easier to teach than... excellence."

"Then we can't let the Dragoons, and the Ryuken, influence the DCMS any further," Michi said dejectedly.

"Iie, that is not for us to decide. Coordinator Theodore is not his father," Minobu said, wondering himself if that was praise or condemnation.

Michi nodded and flicked off a switch. A barely audible hum disappeared and Minobu glared approvingly at his pupil; he didn't think to activate the white-noise generator himself, but the young man had the presence of mind to do so.

"One battle at a time, sho-sa."

Michi smiled, stood and bowed, returning to making his rounds leaving him to wrestle with the confessions. He had not voiced them until now, not even to himself.

Minobu Tetsuhara realized that he now had a plan. When this is over, I must go see the Coordinator---

The flatvid wall suddenly flared as the Kincade Ranger's base defenders opened fire at barely-visible shadows. They were chased away in minutes, fleeing back to the mine entrances they had used to sneak in. Large shadows waited for them there.

Minobu ordered the image zoomed in, spotting red BattleMechs pouring out from the larger caverns. Suddenly, the defenders were routed; thinking they were dealing only with commandos they rain headlong into the waiting guns of a 5th Sword of Light force.

The Warlord smiled as his staff cheered at the reversal.

He signalled to a commtech to dial him in with the tai-sho and frowned as the man took several minutes to track down the Sworder. When the audio link was established, Minobu instantly knew why.

Tai-sho Conti wore a neurohelm with the visor up, and answered him respectfully. "Hai, tai-shu!"

"Bold, tai-sho. Congratulations," Minobu said as the last defenders fell. The Sword of Light 'Mechs numbered less than a company but the ambush and their no mean skill shattered the unprepared Capellan defenders in a hurry. "Not so formidable without their mines, are they?"

Palmer Conti laughed. "No, Warlord, apparently not. We will hop this freighter to the middle of Aldinga, far away from their lines."

Warlord Tetsuhara nodded. "Bring some of their 'Mechs if you can, some seem to be using advanced comms--" a burst of static cut the connection briefly. Minobu glanced at his commteam who were working frantically on their terminals.

When Palmer's image returned all traces of congeniality were gone.

"--splosives! Underneath us! To the mountains! To the mount---!"

The connection died again, leaving a zoomed-in image of the DropShip quaking as the ground beneath it shifted. A lance of Kuritan 'Mechs were already sprawled on the ground, being swallowed by rattling cracks.

Minobu watched in horror as the the frantic DropShip crew lit up its engines cold. The furious power of the engines had only blackened the solid ground when it landed; now it tunnelled through the chunks of earth falling away.

For a moment, it looked like the freighter would escape. Then two of the Mule's engines burst and the DropShip fought a losing battle against gravity and sank into the tomb it carved. The sinkhole became a gaping crater as fusion-hot air expanded beneath, igniting trapped gases and melting whatever supports remained.

The freighter, The Lady's Blessings, lowered itself slowly below as the supply base fell all around it.

Minobu turned his attention to the fleeing 5th Sword of Light force, relieved to see that most had made it to the safety of the mountains and were threading their way through the mountain passes. Unbelievably, some were exchanging weapons fire with Capellan infantry even as both were fleeing. He clearly saw Palmer Conti's Grand Dragon stomp on a few infantrymen, not wasting the effort to return fire.

A tai-i motioned to get his attention then flashed the image of a satellite overhead, zoomed in on the crater. Somehow the freighter had grounded far beneath the valley, into the hollow veins dug out centuries ago. It rested, almost level, snaking fires along its hull.

It sat in the eye of a subterranean firestorm.

"They're almost a kilometer below the surface now, tai-shu," Michi said at his side, unbelievingly. "They're on the fault itself, not just the fault line..."

Minobu moved towards the wall then stopped.

The explosion was catastrophic.

The Warlord of the Dieron Military District stood and watched as the flames spread through the continent's veins like a disease.

It burned and rotted the flesh of the rocks.

In moments it reached Aldinga, the city that spanned half a continent, and the fire split the city in two as factories and power plants bled into the scar of the fault line; the Aldinga Line, had been the city's landmark.

People built tenements, restaurants, hotels, and even hospitals on it. It was safe; Mateo had long ago ceased any tectonic activity.

The firestorm bled out from the middle of the city but it didn't matter; the fault line widened into a chasm.

Seventeen minutes later the city of Aldinga had been swallowed whole.

« Last Edit: 04 March 2013, 16:42:35 by Marwynn »

Wolflord

• Major
« Reply #291 on: 04 March 2013, 15:57:08 »
Oops! That'll get the pilots licence revoked.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #292 on: 04 March 2013, 21:22:34 »
I think its time to end the Kincade Rangers.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #293 on: 05 March 2013, 00:25:49 »
 O0  Wow!  I am really wondering if the DC actually believes that its the CC that is on planet.  If it's the CC, wow you have made them the most competent and combat effective group!   more please!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #294 on: 05 March 2013, 02:37:41 »
OOPS! :D
Growing up is optional.

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #295 on: 05 March 2013, 08:27:59 »
IIRC, The Kincade Rangers are the Death Commandos Lite of the CCAF...
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #296 on: 05 March 2013, 09:16:33 »
Oops! That'll get the pilots licence revoked.

if they can find any of his ashes that is
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #297 on: 06 March 2013, 11:10:20 »
Busan, Tok Do
Benjamin Military District, Draconis Combine
17 April 3028

Constance walked in on her cousin sitting silently on a bench. The garden was completely indoors, yet the architects of the mansion made it feel as if it was open to the outside world.

She allowed herself a small smile, remembering the last time she saw Theodore like this; only then, it was as a child who pouted at the 'Mech assigned to him. Now, he was her liege lord and rightful head of House Kurita.

I liked him better with the mustache, she admitted to herself, remembering the wild young man Theodore had been, not the old man he was becoming.

"We lost seven more JumpShips last week," Theodore said silently.

Constance opened her mouth then closed it, nodding. The retaliation for last year's piracy was hurting the Combine till now; even after the civilian 'ships taken were returned, Combine traders were coming under attack.

"It's down from the previous week," she offered weakly.

Theodore stifled a laugh, coughing slightly. "Only because we haven't got the final numbers yet. I will have to reciprocate. Soon."

She bowed. "As you think best, Coord--"

"--Best?!" Theodore barked. "I've been doing what I think is best! And where has it gotten us?" He surged to his feet. "I don't need to be placated, I need the truth."

The Keeper of the House Honour raised her chin. "Then, reciprocating is the wrong move. Take back what is yours, tono."

Theodore narrowed his eyes then nodded. He walked to the side of the garden, kicking the pebbles underfoot. Constance smiled grimly at the petulance.

Her eyes fell on a handful of toys scattered about. Zeshin, the old monk that had raised Theodore, used this garden as Hohiro's play area. No one had the heart to pick the toys up and left them where the young boy had discarded them weeks ago.

She didn't have the chance to meet Theodore's son, or newborn daughter. Constance had worked hard to keep the child, Theodore's whole family, secret from Takashi. She succeeded in that, robbing a grandfather of the delight that grandchildren brought, robbing Takashi of the relief that would have come from knowing his family line was secure.

But she couldn't keep them safe from her own father. She had failed worse than any Keeper before her.

She had to set it right; that was why she was here.

Theodore stood, staring at a beautiful wooden wall, caked by fingerprints of coloured clay. He smiled briefly, and Constance's heart broke a little further.

"Have we thanked the Captain-General yet for his aid?"

"Hai, tono," Constance said, bowing. "It was conveyed to me that they remain committed allies." And are more than willing to smash the Capellan Confederation between us and the Federated Suns, she didn't add.

"Were they really Capellans?" Theodore asked, turning his head slightly towards her, unwilling to break eye contact with the wall.

Constance opened her mouth then shut it again, hating herself for doing so. She had pieced together the Kincade's Rangers last few months, from the years spent languishing on the world of Repulse, to the discreet 'Mech shipments the unit received before boarding transports that took them to Dieron.

There was no doubt.

"Yes, tono, we have verified them to be Capellans. Kincade's Rangers belonged to the Tikonov Reserves branch of the CCAF." She took several steps closer. "Stirling's Fusiliers is part of the Northwind Highlanders. Was."

"And yet?" Theodore asked, and Constance was thankful her cousin's keen mind hadn't been dulled by tragedy.

"And yet," she began, "my sources claim that Kincade's Rangers left Repulse, on the Confederation's Periphery border, weeks before the nuclear attack on Tikonov."

The Coordinator looked her in the eyes and she reflexively gulped. His eyes, Kurita blue, were like ice.

"What does that mean? That they were going to betray us and Tikonov proved a convenient excuse?" Theodore's voice was dismissive, but his eyes showed he was considering it.

"Iie," Constance said, shaking her head. "It proves that the Capellans were desperate enough to strip their Periphery border."

Theodore nodded. "Ridzik."

Constance bowed slightly, more to hide her awe at her cousin's analytical mind.

"Both the Highlanders and the Rangers were inconvenient units, more loyal to the Chancellor than to the Senior Military Coordinator," Theodore smiled grimly at the title, "in Tikonov."

"May I ask why the need to verify, tono?"

"I need to know who to kill," Theodore said simply.

Constance bowed again, more slowly this time, communicating hesitance. Theodore smiled at the gesture, shaking his head to tell her that she could speak freely.

"Can you afford to retaliate, tono?"

"How can I not?" To his credit, Theodore didn't speak with anger or outrage.

"What would attacking the Confederation yield?" Constance stepped closer to the Coordinator. "It's only the threat of the Federated Suns and the units in Dieron's loyalty to you that have kept the DCMS in check. If you order a strike, even restricting it to military targets," Constance paused slightly, waiting for Theodore's nod, "the rest of the DCMS would simply surge and invade the Confederation on their own."

Theodore looked at her and laughed.

It was a while before he regained his breath. "Forgive me, cousin, but you are no soldier. War and warriors are not that simple," Theodore said, wiping tears from his eyes. "Sumi," he apologized again, "but while there is a danger of unauthorized attacks against the Confederation, there's a small matter of the AFFS as you said."

Theodore moved to another bench and sat down. "No, I don't believe our soldiers would leave the Combine undefended to exact revenge. You misunderstand us."

Constance, cheeks slightly burnt, sat beside her cousin. "How so?"

"Can you imagine a situation when the Coordinator wouldn't respond to this in some fashion?" He turned to her. "Warriors, samurai, engage in these unauthorized acts only when they believe it is necessary and their superiors don't. All true warriors of the Dragon will know we face the greatest danger first; and that is not the Capellans."

The Keeper of the House Honour nodded then rested her head on the Coordinator's shoulder.

Theodore smiled grimly. "In the proper time, the Dragon will exact its revenge on Pavel Ridzik, and perhaps the Confederation. But today, and even tomorrow, we fight the Suns."

They stayed still for long moments, taking comfort in family. Constance straightened herself and looked at her cousin.

"There is a rumour that the Chancellor is willing to send an emissary to speak with you," she began, watching for his reaction. "He is not happy with m--Marcus claiming to have detonated the nuclear weapon on Tikonov; it's only caused more problems for the Chancellor even without the AFFS gorging on his realm."

"Odd that the shipments continue to Nirasaki," Theodore observed. "They're in that much need for those horrid FrankenMechs?"

Constance enjoyed her cousin's 'Mech-snobbery. "Yes, they are in need of Cataphracts since its prime factory was destroyed. We will have to begin sourcing other components locally..." Theodore raised a hand, graciously, allowing her to take command of the details.

I wonder how he'll like our own FrankenMech?...

"This emissary is already en route," Theodore stated.

Constance nodded. "A command circuit was prepared for the emissary straight from Sian," she said, piquing the Coordinator's curiosity.

She smiled at her cousin. "Candace Liao's shuttle is on final approach."

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #298 on: 06 March 2013, 12:13:37 »
a 70ton mech is a 70ton mech, even if it is made up of spare parts.

Wolflord

• Major
« Reply #299 on: 06 March 2013, 12:38:44 »
Someone tell Justin the weddings off! Or are we about to get a new chancellor?

Register