Author Topic: The Wolves and the Dragons (AU)  (Read 99476 times)

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
Re: The Wolves and the Dragons (AU)
« Reply #330 on: 19 March 2013, 23:55:23 »
A Mad Cat? A Marauder in the same likeness of a Mad Cat?
Sure, why not? And you can do it with old school tech, too

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,27927.0.html
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #331 on: 20 March 2013, 14:24:13 »
The Dragon's Lair, Tok Do
Benjamin Military District, Draconis Combine
28 April 3029

Theodore Kurita strode into his command bunker, the centre of his half of the Combine's military, wearing standard DCMS tans. He received commpads from waiting aides, signing several and asking direct questions for the rest before sending them back to re-adjust or re-think.

The Coordinator paused at each terminal and holotank along the way as he descended the rings, each with dedicated planning teams exchanging words as he questioned and emboldened his officers.

Finally, he reached the central holotank, grasping another set of commpads from the officers he dismissed earlier. Theodore approved their work and signed off on them, and in turn they gave him looks mixed of astonishment, fear, and pride.

Justin Xiang envied him that.

The young leader of the Draconis Combine had the charisma, the talent, and the wisdom to lead. To be fair to himself, he acknowledged that he could instill loyalty to soldiers under his command. But that would be the extent of it. He could never lead a military nor a nation.

Candace noticed it too. Even in all her frippery, she had a keen mind and clearer eyes. Already she had distanced herself from him, they stood opposite each other instead of side-by-side as they had been during the rushed journey over. She smiled at Theodore as he dipped his head to her.

Justin Xiang hated him for that.

The Capellan Confederation hovered above them. The Combine's merchant navy didn't posses the most stellar of reputations, but they all dutifully provided the Draconis Combine Admiralty with their most up-to-date charts. Justin wondered if those captains even knew they were doing so.

The map showed star charts and projected the flow of JumpShips; accurate enough to plan an invasion or, in this case, to counter one.

"The Fox has planned this far in advance," Justin said, intruding on the quiet conversation Theodore was sharing with his Candace. It was quiet enough that he could be forgiven for interrupting. "The Interdiction is having no appreciable effect--"

"--Not with this wave," the Coordinator replied, without turning his head. He continued speaking with a low voice for a short while until Candace laughed, then he turned to face Justin. "There'd be no need to coordinate the first strike. The CCAF is wisely holding back, concentrating their reserves to pounce on the next wave. Even maybe push into the Suns."

"The CCAF won't do that," Justin said dismissively. The House Warriors' expressions soured just as they were admiring Theodore's basic observations. "They've been charged with protecting Capellan soil," he said, recovering quickly. "They won't exceed that until the Chancellor says otherwise," he added placating the prickly MechWarriors.

Did... did Theodore maneuver me into that? he pondered as they convened underneath the holomap.

"Before we begin," the Coordinator said with a hint of a smile, "I have some welcome news." Smoothly, Theodore brought the massive holomap down to more manageable dimensions then panned west to the Confederation with a gesture. "The Captain-General has managed to remove a few more garrison units from your shared borders. They will be participating in several offensives against the Lyrans. Major Calstan here, our FWLM liaison," Theodore said nodding to a man leading a trio of out-of-place FWLM officers, "will outline those operations briefly for us. Major?"

"Thank you, Coordinator," Major Calstan said, bowing. "As you all know, the Lyran Commonwealth has stripped most of its Periphery and deep-world garrisons to provide the troops necessary to invade Rasalhague--the Rasalhague District," he said, clearing his throat. "Most of them are still stuck there, now trying to fend off DCMS counter-atttacks."

Justin approved of the major's tact. It was Marcus Kurita's forces that were retaking the Rasalhague worlds one by one. Nevermind that the Tharkad Truce was months ago and whatever damage the Kuritans inflicted would be repaired by now by dug-in troops.

"Coupled with the troubles at Skye, the LCAF has limited resources to defend against incursions. We're stripping the border with the Federation of Skye, under the Coordinator's assurance that we will not be attacked by Grand Duke Lestrade's forces. The units will be shifted to strike deep into the Bolan Province," the major indicated several worlds on the reduced holomap and played out the transportation routes. "We've removed further regiments from the Capellan border as well. Some, to support the attack, others to form nodal defense task forces."

Justin nodded at Major Calstan whose expression hardened when their eyes met, but softened as Theodore stepped forward and dipped his head slightly. He returned amongst the token League delegation, proud and relieved.

"This gives us an opportunity, my friends," Theodore said to the Capellans, but mostly to Candace.

"For a counter-attack at the Federated Suns?" Justin asked, taking a step closer to the holomap.

"I was thinking of a more domestic operation," Theodore confessed. "It seems inappropriate to use mercenaries to secure you the Tikonov Commonality and the rank of Senior Military Coordinator," Theodore said plainly.

Candace nodded and spared him a cold, calculating look. "He will need the legitimacy of some of those long-serving units."

Justin forced himself to smile and bow. 'He'?! Is that all I am to this-- he clamped down on the thoughts, the anger, and nodded. To the Capellans and Draconians it must have seemed the ideal solution: remove a troublesome military commander with someone more loyal, with troops with known loyalties. Mercenaries, no matter how professional, were still mercenaries.

"What of the mercs?"

Yorinaga Kurita stepped forward to the holomap, panning to the north and east of the Confederation with gestures in the air. He highlighted several worlds, cutting off the Federated Suns' Terran corridor completely.

"They will be part of a task force that will re-take these worlds and hold them. Northwind, I suggest, remain a Capellan-held world for obvious reasons," the old samurai said.

Theodore stepped in. "Once they've been secured, garrison regiments will move in and the mercenaries will be freed to raid further south in force. The Ryuken will be in command, alternatively lending support to CCAF units or striking supply lines."

"Why the sudden change?" Justin asked, hating himself for doing so.

"As I said," Theodore said humbly, "it would be best that you were seen at the head of a Capellan force instead of one filled with Kuritan mercenaries--"

"--Do you think so little of the Capellan people?"

"No, friend Justin," Theodore said quietly. "I think the Capellan people have the right to see--"

"--See what? A civil war? Because that's what it will look like. That's what it'll be!"

Candace Liao bristled at his words, but Justin didn't care.

"All they'll see is a bunch of Cappies fighting Ridzik's bunch of Cappies to place me, a foreigner, in command!" He wasn't shouting. But he wasn't talking calmly either.

Theodore's face remained impassive as he took a step back. For a moment, he thought he won the argument until Candace Liao stepped into view.

"You're right, Justin. You are right, thank you," she said then turned to the gathered warriors.

Justin beamed triumphantly. He opened his mouth to speak but Candace spoke on.

"I recall that Shiro Kurita's brother, Urizen, was the first and only Gunji-no-Kanrei: Warlord of the Armies. It is a fine example," she said, dipping her head to the Kuritans, "so I will assume the post of Senior Military Coordinator for the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces."

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
« Reply #332 on: 20 March 2013, 14:31:57 »
And Justin is toast  :D

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #333 on: 20 March 2013, 14:40:12 »
Ninja'd by Wolflord
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #334 on: 21 March 2013, 01:48:29 »
Justin put both feet in, right up to the knees.
How is he going to hobble his way out of this. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #335 on: 21 March 2013, 15:55:56 »
Busan, Tok Do
28 April 3029

"That was... cold."

"Had to be done," Theodore said. "You heard our officers complaining about putting a Davion in charge--"

"--I meant what you did to Candace," the Keeper of the House Honour said, stepping from the shadows. "You used her."

Theodore laughed without a sound. "We're all using each other, cousin. It's what the Great Houses do."

"So ka."

Theodore felt Ninyu Kerai roll his eyes. "No comment, oh flame-haired one?" Theodore asked, pouring himself a drink.

"Only that you were laying it on pretty thick," Ninyu admitted, snatching the glass from Theodore's hand and drinking the amber liquid in one gulp.

Theodore smiled as Ninyu coughed. "Apple juice?" he asked incredulously then snatched the bottle from Theodore and refilled the glass.

"That is cold," the ISF agent said as he downed the second glass.

The Coordinator poured himself another drink, shaking his head as he offered it to Constance. She accepted demurely and he poured the rest into his glass and sat. The mansion had many indoor gardens to gather in, but Theodore preferred this one. His son's toys still littered it.

His two advisors sat to his side; Ninyu cross-legged, Constance on her knees, careful to stay below him.

"Tomoe's favourite," Theodore began. "She drank a bottle a day, when she could. The servants thought we both drank it, so they've been bringing it out every morning... since."

He took a sip. "I hate apple juice."

"Hohiro hated it too," Ninyu volunteered. "When I was visiting them on Marfik, he complained to me; he said, it made Tomoe gassy--"

"--Hahahaha!--" Theodore laughed, choking.

"He managed to steal half of the bottles and hide them around the house, the garden, and so on," Ninyu said shaking his head in amusement. "I taught him how to sneak about and showed him better places to hide. Zeshin would sit down on a couch and crack a bottle or three"

Theodore nodded, still laughing, in thanks. He finished his glass and rolled it in his hands.

The doors to the garden slid open, and Yorinaga Kurita strode forward, careful of where to place his steps. He bowed deeply to Theodore, Constance, then nodded to Ninyu who waved back cheerfully. Yorinaga's frown stiffened.

"The Capellans have retired for the night, tono," the samurai said. "I placed guards around Justin Xiang, as you ordered."

Constance looked at him then, and Theodore shrugged.

"You are right, Keeper," he said. "It was heartless of me to prey on Candace's naivete as much as Justin is." He held up a hand to forestall her argument, knowing full well how much he was emulating Takashi. "Yes, I know you still believe him to be a Davion spy without proof. I do not agree. But I did still listen to your wisdom, didn't I, cousin?"

"Hai, tono," she replied meekly as she bowed.

It was Theodore's turn to roll his eyes.

Constance blew out a breath. "Fine, Theodore. If you believe he isn't a spy, then why follow my advice?"

"Because it seemed wise."

"And?"

"And what do I owe Justin Xiang? I confided in you two that I sense a kindred spirit with him; I do not know why. He is a traitor to the Federated Suns and somehow has managed to find his way to the top in the Confederation." He looked at both in the eyes. "Which Kurita would be comfortable around a traitor?"

Ninyu was listening and nodding as he deftly pulled out a flask and filled his glass. Theodore held out his and was rewarded with a splash of clear, aromatic liquid. Yorinaga humbly accepted a glass, sampling it with careful sips while Constance still worked on her first apple juice.

"And?"

"And Candace Liao needs to be friendly with the Draconis Combine. To me," the Coordinator said, tasting his drink. "We couldn't get Janos Marik on board if it was Justin Xiang heading up the CCAF in Tikonov."

Yorinaga nodded. "Either because Xiang is too competent, or because he shares the same fears as you all do."

"Then he is wise--"

"--or has wise advisors--"

"--but you are leaving Candace Liao exposed."

"Actually," Ninyu said between gulps, "it is pretty isolated. It is a wonder that Pavel Ridzik hasn't used this opportunity to break away, what with a border with Skye..."

Theodore paused to consider that. "And what of the treacherous duke?"

"Lestrade? Still short and ugly--"

"--the other treacherous duke. Michael Hasek?"

"All the Capellans are telling us is that they're holding him. Apparently, the Chancellor changed his mind at the last moment and stopped your friend Justin from Samsonov-ing him."

Theodore chuckled. "Wise."

"I think Mad Max just wanted to torture Hasek," Ninyu admitted with a shrug.

Constance leaned forward. "What are you planning, cousin?"

"We can help Candace retake Tikonov, even form one solid front against the Federated Suns. But the Fox has gouged out most of the Sarna Commonality, and not even the Interdiction will slow that down."

"And that would leave two Capellan states," Constance said, nodding.

"No one wants that, it'll just get confusing," Ninyu added.

"So we offer a trade. An ultimatum, really."

Theodore looked at both of his advisors, his friends. "The Capellans will return Michael Hasek, alive, in exchange for the worlds taken from the Capellan Confederation."

Ninyu sputtered. "Haha, there's no way--"

"--Exactly."

Constance frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Hanse Davion cannot admit Michael Hasek is a traitor. That would undermine the Capellan March and the Hasek family. He cannot back down either; this 4th Succession War is his after all. So he'll do two things; either negotiate which worlds he'll keep, or he'll let Michael Hasek die on Sian."

"Or he could launch an attack to retake the fool and sack Sian in the process," Ninyu said. "He is the Fox you know."

"Why?" Constance asked. "What would it get us?"

"Plenty," Theodore confided. "We can secure Tikonov, and it is in our best interests to make sure that it exports materiel to us and the first treacherous duke next, and then to the dying Confederation."

"What is it about dukes anyway?" Ninyu asked in a whisper.

"They have so much power, but not enough," Constance answered knowingly.

Theodore tried not to crack a grin as the two smiled at each other before each remembered the organizations they represented. They looked away, awkwardly.

Yorinaga was kneeling quietly, considering his words.

The samurai raised his head. "The Captain-General has agreed to your plan?" Yorinaga asked as the other two exchanged looks.

"Plan?" they asked at the same time.

"The Capellan Confederation is doomed. But it can still be of service. The Combine and the League both need a secure bridge, and we will both assist in rebuilding the Tikonov Commonality, sundered as it is from the rest of the Confederation."

Theodore stood. "Janos Marik has even agreed to haul parts from Tikonov to the rest of the Confederation; right now, much of the Sarna Commonality is compromised and we can expect the Fox to swallow the rest.

"That would leave him with a border to the Free Worlds League... an undefended border," Constance said slowly.

"Undefended?" Ninyu asked. "Janos Marik doesn't have that kinda power to order all the FWLM regiments around; he called in a lot of favours to pull in garrison troops one jump back, at most."

Constance's eyes fumed, but she didn't direct them at him.

"It would have been foolish to do so, after all, we made that request after the renewed invasion," Yorinaga provided, soothing the Keeper.

"In reality," Theodore continued, "the Fox only has two real options: admit Hasek is a traitor and let him die, or say nothing and let him die. Either will undermine morale. A rescue attempt is unlikely to succeed; I would assume that if the Fox could do that he would have eliminated Max Liao a long time ago. In the unlikely event that Hanse gives up the worlds his men and women have died taking, even just some of it, the AFFS will be disillusioned."

"So the Fox will just continue his assault," Ninyu intuited.

Constance nodded too, then glanced at Theodore, and he shared a bit of his plans to her, a glimpse with his chi. She didn't recoil.

The Capellans are mortally wounded. We need them, still. With Marik arms, Kuritan training, they can maintain a dangerous front to bleed the Federated Suns even as we keep their best worlds for ourselves.

Candace responded, sharing her emotions. Millions have died. Millions more will?

Theodore dipped his head. The briefest of moments passed during their exchange.

"And then Duke Hasek will die?" Yorinaga was asking.

"Iie," Theodore said, shaking his head. "Then he'll escape."

« Last Edit: 21 March 2013, 16:03:06 by Marwynn »

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #336 on: 22 March 2013, 02:30:18 »
Now thats is an interesting move.
Use Michael Hasek-Davion, then release him.
Your outfoxing the fox there. ;D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #337 on: 22 March 2013, 12:12:46 »
Heh, if it works.  ;)

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #338 on: 22 March 2013, 14:13:31 »
A return to the original "quick punch" style.

Also, if you have the time and inclination, I'd like some feedback. Constructive if possible, I'd like to improve.

Will be AFK this weekend so I leave these two entries till monday!

=================================

29 April 3029

Tai-sa Narimasa Asano blew out a breath before knocking on the door. He heard a muffled, affirmative sound, and he slid the door open.

Coordinator Theodore Kurita sat rigid behind his desk, pouring over flexiprints and orbited by holograms. Lord Yorinaga sat opposite him, rending order out of the chaos pouring in. News from all across the Combine arrived late last night and the two had little rest since.

The DCMS was killing its own; not an unheard of practice, rebels popped up from time to time. What was shocking was the sheer scale of the attacks. Everywhere close to the Pesht district was struck and units considered loyal gleefully murdered Coordinator Theodore's troops.

It did not make for a pleasant night.

"I need you to leave," Theodore Kurita said to him.

What have I-- Narimasa thought as he began to bow.

"Not like that," the Coordinator said, frustrated. "I need you to go to Xinyang. The 2nd Legion of Vega will rip apart that planet trying to defend it. I want you to--" Theodore began but was interrupted by a commcall, he motioned for Yorinaga to step in.

The older Kurita continued the brief. "Take the 2nd Genyosha and all supporting regiments, and bring along your apprentices as well," Yorinaga said, referencing the veteran pilots they had taken from other commands.

Anywhere else in the DCMS, the veterans could be the top performers, even the unit champion; amongst the Genyosha they were the rawest of recruits.

The Coordinator turned away, focusing on the conversation and Yorinaga stood and walked to the other end of the office. "The 9th Rasalhague Regulars attacked Xinyang two--well, three--days ago. We don't know how," Lord Yorinaga said, indicating that they should sit. "We do know that the 2nd Legion of Vega managed to fight them. Casualties are high."

Narimasa bent forward, awkward while seated, but Yorinaga was not finished.

"You won't be staying on Xinyang," Tai-sho Kurita clarified. "Help the Legion, but you're there to evacuate the Imperial Institute of Technology. There was a fire, followed by an attack soon after emergency responders arrived. We don't know all the details, but the Senior Researcher's assistant was lost or taken, and she knows much about the research in the Institute."

The Coordinator joined them, his commcall done. He stood above the two men, listening to their words. "We're pressing your apprentices into service, tai-sa. They'll stay and defend IIT. You'll be escorting some of the scientists to Dover. There, you'll wait."

Narimasa stood and bowed. He heard the silent warning; 'Until I need you to strike at Luthien.'

The Coordinator glanced at him then tilted his head slightly. Then he turned to his 'uncle'. "That was Ninyu. He's confirmed what the ComStar acolytes have claimed; that these reports were only sent last night, despite being days late."

Yorinaga leaned back. "Then why didn't ComStar alert us?"

"Why would they?" Asano blurted out before remembering his place.

Theodore Kurita pierced him with his blue gaze for several minutes, then finally nodded.

"Yes. Why would they?"

Busan, Tok Do
29 April 3029

Candace Liao laughed lightly as Constance Kurita finished her story. "...and that's the only reason I know why Theodore grew the mustache in the first place!"

They enjoyed the warmth of the memory, walking around the arboretum, under the filtered sunlight of Tok Do. Justin followed in smouldering silence at a distance, sulking in the shadows while the two kept to the light.

"Will you have all that you need?" the Keeper asked.

The heiress to the Capellan Confederation frowned slightly then dipped her head. "More, actually." She turned to smile. "Three mercenary regiments trained by the Wolf's Dragoons? Five CCAF regiments? Yes, I believe that's enough to secure the ouster of one Pavel Ridzik."

"And you believe you have your father's blessing in this?" Constance asked, lightly.

"Why would he have reason to doubt me?"

"It's just that this Ridzik has had the chance to grab power for himself, and hasn't. Ousting him would seem aggressive."

Candace laughed. "It's positively tame compared to what my father has planned for him for years. He is no loyal servant," she said loud enough to carry back to Justin whose mood darkened.

"I know you only have some time left before you're cooped up again aboard ship, so I'll leave you to enjoy this," the Kurita said, bowing. Candace watched her retreat as she retained her bow, seeing her silent servants trail after her, pouring out of the indoor glade. Her retinue materialized in one moment before they fully disappeared.

Justin Xiang stormed forward and spun her around. Their kiss was hot, desperate, and fierce.

She pushed him away, but not too far. "They'll be watching."

"No, I've been sweeping this place. There are no bugs," he assured her just as a cricket scratched in the distance. They both laughed. "Plenty of those bugs, though."

They kissed again, gentler this time.

"What have you found?" she asked, breathlessly.

"That the ISF have a sense of humour," he replied. Quickly he recounted his attempts at breaking out of his room, only to find bits and pieces of his clothes strewn in his path leading him back to his room. Always by another way.

"Also, more than one servant has made a pass at me," Justin admitted to her, sheepishly.

"Did you get any information from her?" Candace asked.

"No. Not even afterwards."

"Hmm," Candace said, tasting his lips again. She held him closer. "Do you still think this is the only way?"

"I'm sure of it. Duke Michael Hasek wasn't lying about those troop strengths like your father accused him; someone close to your father was altering the numbers so it looked like--"

"--Hush, just hush," she said. "I've heard it before."

"Then?" he asked, slowing working his way down from behind her ear to her shoulder.

"We make the trade."

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #339 on: 25 March 2013, 08:35:39 »
Hmm, so apparently Ardan Sortek doesn't become the Prince's Champion until the 3030s. I'd rather not alter that. So I've elected to snip that branch off completely.

I'm looking at the stuff now and he doesn't figure that prominently in it. I really need to know more about the FedSuns, little things like that creep up on me. 
« Last Edit: 25 March 2013, 08:37:10 by Marwynn »

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #340 on: 25 March 2013, 10:36:31 »
Scratch previous. I just removed the whole "Prince's Champion" thing. He's just the Davion Heavy Guards commander.

Bronze-6 Highway, Errai
Draconis March, Federated Suns
6 May 3029

Dechan Fraser sidestepped the heavy slugs, allowing them to burst the building behind him as he snapped off a shot from his Shadow Hawk's forearm . Another roar followed his evasive maneuver, but the second shot was poorly aimed and the stream of heavy autocannon fire gnawed only on more ferrocrete.

Major Fraser dashed towards the source of the attacks, thrusting his 'Mech's other arm forward to punch through a building's face. He triggered the wrist-mounted flamer, exploding flames out of the building as the glass cracked, burst, and melted.

Damned PBIs! How did they get field guns into an office building?

Quickly, he moved away as the platoon's ammunition began cooking off. The building erupted moments later, pelting the area with chunks of flaming 'crete and rebar.

Dechan had already forgotten about the now-dead platoon, signalling to the rest of his command lance to press forward.

Errai's mountains and heavy, tall trees hemmed the planet's cities. From orbit, it looked like nature was fighting civilization, stemming the ferrocrete and plasteel tide with stone, bark, and green.

He had wondered why the Kuritans had left the Davion planet untouched for centuries; a standard burn from the jump points took only two days. With Errai's heavy industries and natural resources, coupled with a lack of a 'Mech garrison, Dechan believed Errai should have been a Combine world long ago.

Then he arrived and began wondering why the Kuritans even bothered to raid.

The forests were thick. Too thick for a 'Mech to pass through without scraping a tree, which were too massive to be easily brushed aside, even by an Atlas. His independent battalion, which was not named the Black Dragons as the Black Widows insisted, didn't have an Atlas to clear a path for them, or many Assaults for that matter.

And the cities were no less cramped, though with glades of plasteel and ferrocrete instead of hardened trees. He watched his turn, almost crashing into a tall glass tower; he could see rain inside the vertical farm. It was an industrious solution to the lack of available farmland on the planet. What little space that could be carved from the forests went to living space. What mountains could be hollowed out housed the industry. It made Errai a distributed world, growing only along the lines humanity spread on the planet. Each city was an island hemmed in by stone or woods, with the thinnest of paths joining them.

His command lance signalled their readiness, and Dechan waited to move into position. The one advantage of being so distributed was that it made conquering so efficient; his battalion had split up into two-lance strong formations, backed up by infantry, and took four smaller cities or towns on their own. That left him and his command lance to hop, sometimes literally, across the cityscapes.

Most of the citizens had fled quickly, deep underground, once it became known that the Wolf's Dragoons were attacking. The similarity to Dieron and its people was not lost on Fraser; the former Hegemony worlds had industrious and careful people, no matter which Great House ruled over them.

Dechan shook his head. 'I promise not to nuke you'...

The same nodal design that made defending simple made invading doubly difficult, threading, as ground forces had to, along built-up highways or tunnels that were also lined with residences and lesser businesses.

All, he found, was built to a distressingly fortified quality.

The rest of his lance leapt into view, one 'Mech after the other. Hersch's Griffin was caked with dust as his own 'Mech was, but the other two's machines were nearly pristine save for the scratches of man-portable anti-armour weapons. The militia's dogged defense was easily bypassed most of the time, so his MechWarriors did very little to seek them out.

Dechan's heart quickened as he recalled how easily he could have been killed by an ambush, and vowed to enforce tighter discipline. He hated having to do so, but if it would save his MechWarriors' lives then he was willing to be the jerk that made their service difficult.

Hersch's Griffin leapt to take the lead, its pilot giving him a friendly wave at the apex of his fusion-powered jump, and landed on a parking tower more than a hundred metres away. He followed quickly in his modified Shadow Hawk, covering the lower ground, as he trusted the other pair to stay together and move forward.

Dechan focused on the leap, trusting to the two extra Pitban LFT-50 jumpjets installed in his 'Mech's side torsos to carry him an extra 53 metres to the roof of an abandoned hospital. He kept an eye out on the readouts, watching for a telltale to flicker red failure. So far, they had remained a steady green, and he diverted his attention to his scanners as Hersch made his next leap.

To his left and rear, the two Heavy 'Mechs continued their ungraceful leaps, electing to jump simultaneously. Siobhan and Niore, both new Dragoons, but were experts in Heavy 'Mechs with years of mercenary service. He had to fight hard to have them in his command, and was planning on having them lead their own Heavy lances soon enough.

Under General Wolf's orders, he had to train his battalion to fight like a regiment because they would be, and soon.

What's the rush? Dechan asked sarcastically. It's not like we've pissed off two-and-a-half Great Houses or anything...

Hersch's particle cannon flashed, disintegrating a militia vehicle--likely a scout--and leaving flaming flinders. The recon vehicle had been lightly armoured at best, and most of the Fusigon PPC's power had drilled into the hardened ferrocrete street instead.

Dechan took the next leap, flexing his 'Mech's knees to absorb the impact upon landing. He needed to give his wingman time to cool off; firing a PPC after a jump was a quick way to court engine shutdown. Major Fraser commended the lieutenant on his gunnery, while cycling through his sensors.

Errai had no dedicated 'Mech defenders. But it worked just as well as a re-supply point so there was always a surplus of broken 'Mechs on-world, which the Kuritans try to seize on occasion. This time though, there were retired veterans, or transferring pilots, that were on-world when his force landed.

They jumped into the least damaged 'Mechs and made occupying the world difficult. Not impossible. Difficult. Made more so by the fact that General Wolf was acting of his own accord and not under Kuritan orders.

The heat steadily rose in his cockpit, and Dechan caved to temptation and allowed his cockpit scrubbers to cycle in the cool, mountain air. They were leapfrogging towards Bronze-6, a mining 'town', under assault by the irregular militia. It was one of the first nodes he had secured and had already lift off two shipments of processed ores and was feeding two adjacent 'towns' which in turn fed the fourth, Maltex-Prime, that was still capable of producing 'Mech components; just not full 'Mechs.

Bronze-6 was both above and below them; the high-rise buildings they were on let them see the crater that Bronze-6 filled at the foothills of a mountain. The highest stacks of Bronze-6 were far above them, but most of the town was below.

No sooner than Dechan leapt to the widening expressway did the planet's adhoc defenders sprouted into view. A Victor barred his path, and at a glance Major Fraser knew the pilot was no mere veteran.

"Wolf's Dragoons! Stand down!" the electronic voice warbled from his commpanel.

"Not gonna happen, militiaman," Dechan responded as politely as he was willing. He counted three 'Mechs along with the Victor, meaning that the fate of Errai would be decided by two companies. If he or the enemy commander fell then so would the rest of their force.

He laughed at that; just a jump away two or three regiments were squaring off against an equal number, losing companies of 'Mechs, to grab worthless stretches of empty land. Here, those statistic casualties decided the entire world's fate.

"Why don't you power down and we grant you safe conduct off this rock?"

"Negative. Is this Major Fraser?"

Dechan sighed. "Yes, it is."

"I thought so," the enemy commander said. "I've studied some of your work, especially on Skye..."

Dechan's eyes widened as his commpanel flashed a private laslink request and he read the security string associated with it. The link was quickly established, and Dechan stared into a worn face of a still-young officer.

"I am Ardan Sortek. Take me to your leaders."

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #341 on: 25 March 2013, 16:02:31 »
Hephaestus Station, In orbit around Nirasaki
Dieron Military District, Draconis Combine
19 May 3029

Ardan stood to one side of the room, carefully contemplating the map on his noteputer. He paid no attention to the gravdeck's spin; focusing instead on the worlds blinking in front of him.

The First Prince had assumed that the Kuritans would be just as he eager as he was in setting aside their fight in order to pursue more pressing matters. It took Ardan weeks of travel to realize that Hanse Davion wanted the DCMS to turn its attention to the Lyran troops occupying much of the Rasalhague district.

It took him a few more weeks to process that; it was fair that the First Prince require that his allies fight the fight they promised, but it was delusional to hope that the Kuritans would see it the same way. Rasalhague, after all, was Marcus Kurita's problem. Theodore Kurita, the other Coordinator, had focused most of his attention to the Federated Suns and they suffered for it.

The callousness of it he was yet unprepared to handle.

The map bled red over the golden glow of the Federated Suns' northern border. Several of the planets were circled red with a yellow centre, signifying a planet under invasion, but Ardan knew that to be comforting lies. The lull was not a peace, or even much of a pause; The Kuritans launched their invasion--there was no other word for it--less than two weeks after ComStar's Interdiction.

What he was looking at now was an updated estimate that had been distributed across the FAX network. With the HPGs silent but for any grave calamity, nuclear or natural, the black boxes were the only means of staying in touch. The First Prince had reacted quickly, but Theodore Kurita had planned the attacks. It had all his hallmarks, according to the analysts.

"Yeah, he is a tricky one, that Teddy the K," Ardan's companion said with a smile. Major Dechan Fraser calmly sipped his burnt coffee.

Ardan chuckled. "I suppose reading military secrets aloud isn't the wisest of things to do."

"Only if it's in the presence of the enemy, sir. And today, I am that."

"Why didn't you Dragoons sign up with us again?" he asked abruptly.

"Colonel Wolf," Dechan said, shrugging.

"You mean General Wolf?"

"Before he was just the first colonel among colonels, but that Teddy the K gave him a DCMS commission so--"

"--I didn't hear about that," Ardan said, leaning forward.

"Oh," Dechan said sipping more of the horrid coffee. "Well you didn't hear it from me. So I guess we're even."

Ardan nodded, leaning back against the wall. He wasn't stupid. The noteputer was biometrically locked to him, and any information it had was horribly out of date compared to what the DCMS had. ComStar's HPGs were fully functional and they offered the DCMS discounts for high-priority messages.

There're even rumours that many of the Class B facilities were in line for an upgrade, following some healthy donations... Why is the Order so biased towards the Combine?

The door slid open and two living legends walked in. General Jaime Wolf and Major Natasha Kerensky nodded to the seated Dechan Fraser and speared him with suspicious looks.

General Wolf walked up to him and shook his hand, guiding him physically, but gently, to a seat.

"Colonel Sortek," Jaime Wolf said. "Welcome to the Dragoons' home."

Ardan sat, taken aback by that proclamation. It was subtle and while he was not unused to it he did not expect it from the mercenary commander. Wolf meant more than the station, he meant the system itself. He dipped his head in thanks, choosing to smile and let the three officers do the talking. It didn't work.

"So," Ardan said. "Nice place." He was sure Dechan hid a smile by sipping more of his coffee.

"You wanted to speak with me?" General Wolf asked.

"No--and yes," Colonel Sortek admitted. "I meant to speak with you and your... paymasters."

"I'm afraid Warlord Tetsuhara is too busy to join us for this meeting, even remotely," Jaime Wolf said with a straight face. "And, frankly, you wouldn't be speaking with him but with the ISF."

Ardan nodded knowingly.

"Out with it, old man," the Black Widow said, dripping venom and boredom. His eyebrows rose at her, but the other two seemed to have flinched. Natasha Keresnky leaned forward, showing off her cleavage in an attempt to distract him further. "What do you want?"

"Peace."

"A piece of what?" she asked back, wickedly.

"Peace between the Suns and the Combine. I'm here on the First Prince's orders--"

"--so you say--"

"--to secure peace between the Draconis Combine and the Federated Suns in lieu of the nuclear attack on Yori. Cooler heads may yet prevail--"

"--too late," the Black Widow interrupted. "You've probably not heard, but the Dragon's roared again." She smiled dangerously at him, and Ardan's heart beat faster. "You won't have to worry about having a Draconis March to protect soon..."

Ardan leaned back in his seat, eyes locked on Natasha but allowing his peripheral vision to catch General Wolf. Whatever discomfort he and Major Fraser showed earlier had been replaced with a watchfulness he would associate with an animal waiting to pounce. He smiled inwardly, addressing the general even though he maintained eye contact with the Black Widow.

"Then we'll have new worlds to conquer. Or re-conquer."

The false bravado worked. "What are you proposing to our paymasters, colonel?" General Wolf asked with all the severity a senior officer could command.

"Worlds."

"They already have yours," the Black Widow reminded him. "And taking more by the day."

"Which they'll retake the following day," Major Fraser interjected. The young man nodded at him and Ardan continued.

It took him almost the entire trip to Errai to understand what the First Prince wanted him to do, and the core of his being recoiled at it. Even fragmented as the Combine was, it was mauling the Federated Suns. But it would not be sustainable. Either the First Prince will give up his hopes of conquering the Confederation and retake his worlds and punish the DCMS, even years in the making, it would still leave the Combine battered.

"First Prince Hanse Davion is proposing a cease fire between the AFFS and DCMS and any associated mercenaries. The Federated Suns will not attack the Draconis Combine, even on some of the worlds they now occupy that belong to the Federated Suns, unless the DCMS attacks first."

He typed on his noteputer, sending the list of worlds to the room's databanks. In the corner, a flatvid highlighted those worlds.

Ardan Sortek's gut was ice stone. He left unsaid the implications; Hanse was giving Theodore Kurita the time to get his House in order, hoping for a damaging civil war, while balancing it with the promise of retaking the Rasalhague district at the Lyrans' expense. In turn, the Fox expected to be allowed to consolidate his gains in the Confederation.

The three officers didn't share any looks, and only waited.

"It only formalizes the pledge to not use any weapons of mass destruction against any target, military or otherwise," Ardan added.

Seconds passed until a holographic image shimmered into view and Ardan Sortek pulled back from the table. He stood and bowed in what he was trained was a respectable manner

Coordinator Theodore Kurita nodded politely.

"Tell the Fox the Dragon accepts his bargain."

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
« Reply #342 on: 25 March 2013, 16:39:05 »
hrmm... So Theo's convinced the Fox to leave him alone while he deals with Markus. Will he take it this time?
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

afterthought53

• Recruit
« Reply #343 on: 25 March 2013, 18:54:42 »
Hmmm, so left hand doesn't know what the right is doing while the mouth is babbling and the right foot kicked a bee hive?

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #344 on: 25 March 2013, 21:11:57 »
And the left foot's run off...

I'm trying to build in a "fog of war" here. Not sure if it's working or I'm just confusing you all hehe.

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #345 on: 25 March 2013, 21:23:56 »
When factories start going up in nuclear clouds and you know you didn't do it along with your centers of research coming under attack, tossed on top of a very uncivil, civil war Teddy should be looking for a way to quiet at least one front down.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2013, 22:08:39 by Arvanna »

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #346 on: 25 March 2013, 22:07:50 »
And the left foot's run off...

I'm trying to build in a "fog of war" here. Not sure if it's working or I'm just confusing you all hehe.
The point of a fog of war is to be confusing.  Carry on!

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
« Reply #347 on: 26 March 2013, 02:05:48 »
The fog is where the "monsters" come from - good story more please.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #348 on: 26 March 2013, 15:12:13 »
Well, here you go! More fog!

Unity Palace, Luthien
Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine
22 May 3029

Count Kahei Tsuki bowed again, and Coordinator Marcus Kurita hated him for it. To not return the gesture would be a sign, and it would be misinterpreted and cascade beyond his control.

So he nodded his head slightly, the barest minimum required for politeness, and was rewarded with a further relaxing of the Count's shoulders.

The Chrysanthemum Throne he sat on was not meant for comfort. It was a blessing and a curse; he had no choice but to focus to pay attention and sitting on it gave him authority, legitimacy. His rule wasn't old enough for him to be able to dispose of the trappings of power.

But it did force him to give even the meanest of his duties his full attention.

The count was the hereditary CEO of Sparkling Spirits, a water purification concern from the Galedon district. It astonished Marcus how little the DCMS cared for clean water; in dire times they engaged in water raids just as every House did, but more often than not it was to steal components for purifying plants rather than making off with 'ships full of potable water.

The DCMS viewed it as a minor concern, on the same level as food and medicine. Necessary, but not top priority. Very few understood just how much fresh water was necessary for the factories to churn out weapons, armour, and ammunition.

And that meant the quivering shell in front of him had connections to all of the Draconis Combine's heavy industries. And all it took was offering the man and his company something Theodore Kurita acquired; Water Pure Industries of Corridan IV, formerly of Skye. Their water purification technologies were well beyond Sparkling Spirits' capabilities, and with a generous loan, the count had promised to expand the facilities in the water-poor Pesht district.

With the equipment from Tamar, Pesht may yet become more than just a parched backwater... Marcus allowed a small smile to grace his lips, encouraging the fool to prattle on about his family's continued dedication. He shifted his glance to Subhash Indrahar who nodded then smiled himself.

The count mumbled into silence.

"We are quite aware of the Tsuki family's contributions to Combine society, count," the Smiling One said. "And grateful are we all for the fresh water you provide."

Count Tsuki bowed. The rest of the diminished court looked on, waiting for the twist that would send the count's head away from the rest of his body. Marcus sniffed inwardly at that; he had only executed one countess in such a manner, and she deserved it.

"How fare the repairs on Yori and Dieron?" Marcus asked, gently.

Count Tsuki paled. "D-Dieron? Ahh, w-well, tono--"

"--Good, good," Marcus interrupted, taking the stammering as a status report. "I was surprised how quickly your company was able to respond across the breadth of the Combine, count."

"W-we had several, that is, before the, uhh, attack?" the count coughed then wiped his forehead. "There were contracts, signed years ago--"

"--How fortunate," Marcus observed.

Count Tsuki bowed again and Subhash Indrahar stepped forward, angling the CEO away. Nominally, infiltrating a civilian corporation would be the Order of Five Pillars' duty. But they had chosen Theodore over him. Marcus knew from secret Combine histories how dangerous expanding the ISF's role could be, but he had little choice.

The Smiling One dragged the sweating one away and Marcus rose and dismissed his court.

Vasily Cherenkoff woke up from whatever perverse dream he had concocted and followed in his wake. They slipped into the hallways with a pair of Otomo in tow.

"The Director tells me your plan was a success."

Vasily preened. "Hai, tono, the attack on the Institute provided excellent cover for the extraction. We have copies of the Helm Core, fully indexed ones, as well as all the research."

"And distribution?" he asked as they swung into an empty corridor then disappeared behind a hologram.

"We've split them up according to your orders." Marcus raised an eyebrow and Vasily quickly pulled out a noteputer. "Asgard has received the economics texts. Matabushi on Avon has been forwarded everything tagged 'aerospace' by IIT," Vasily said, scrolling through the list. Wakazashi, Tomori, and Stellar Trek on Chatham have been given a copy of the aerospace index as well as the front pages of any related research papers."

"Good. Their collusion with Theodore will come at a price," Marcus promised, "and make certain they understand that they can repay either in money, materiel, or blood."

Vasily nodded, gulping dramatically. "The various research materials have also been distributed; Prosperina, the GMA on Matsuida, even the Sun Zhang MechWarrior Academy is keen on any BattleMech research--"

"--Deny the SZMA," Marcus said abruptly. "Their focus should be only on training MechWarriors, not research." He paused for a moment, slowing their descent. "Pass on any biological research, medicines, stress points, anything MechWarrior-related," he added with a wave of his hand.

Warlord Cherenkoff huffed after the Coordinator, typing it in his noteputer. Marcus allowed him the charade; he discovered long ago that Cherenkoff had a memory as good as any computer core.

The Black Room sealed shut behind them, and he took his sit at its head. Director Subhash Indrahar rose briefly and sat after he did, a smile on his face. Warlord Pesht sat down briskly, still typing away.

"Director," he began, "congratulations on your agents' success. I'm sure you'll find the unedited research materials to be of use on New Samarkand."

Subhash Indrahar bowed, but before he could speak, Marcus continued. "But I'm disappointed." That pronouncement resonated in the room. "Destroying half of IIT was not necessary just so your agents could make good their escape!"

"My agents were not responsible for the fire, tono," Subhash Indrahar replied, still smiling. "Their field reports, and the other agents who helped secure their release, place their escape just before the initial attack. As you know, the fire from the research levels came a day afterwards."

"And it was not one of your agents' contingencies?"

"No, tono. They were under specific instructions not to damage any of the research."

"Do you agents know if there were any backups of the research?" Vasily interjected.

Subhash shook his head. "The backups were destroyed in the fighting, though the primary copy was deep within the main building. It may be inaccessible or damaged. However, one agent reported that prior to the attack, the data had been 'fragmented' to distribute the materials to each wing." The ISF Director polished his glasses. "No data has been destroyed, but they have been rendered inaccessible. It could be that we possess the full consolidated copy of the core and all research materials."

Marcus Kurita leaned back, stroking his chin. "What else?"

Subhash inclined his head. "As you know, Xinyang is a central supply world. That means yakuza. Though unverified at this time, there is a possibility that some of the fragments may have been copied and are now being traded in the shadows. Several prototypes were also lost. Not destroyed; but missing."

Marcus allowed his mind to follow the repercussions; at best, he'd lose his bargaining chip against Combine corporations. At worst, the data could be altered, sold off to the corporations who would rush to create things they barely understood, crippling progress or destroying whole industries.

"Purge them."

Vasily blanched at the order, but Subhash merely nodded.

"Warlord Pesht, how is our campaign proceeding?"

"Well, tono. Two more worlds have been retaken from the cowardly Lyrans, though at great cost--"

"--I care not," Marcus said. "Theodore. How is our campaign against Theodore?"

Vasily braced himself. "We lost Xinyang, to the Genyosha it seems though Yorinaga Kurita's 'Mech was not observed amongst the forces. Likely, he stayed in a command ship," Warlord Cherenkoff said, tapping out commands to bring a holomap to life above them. "Our first wave achieved total surprise, though the success rate for the primary objectives is only 66% it is above the 50% we projected initially."

"And why are you pleased at this failure rate?"

"Because, tono," Vasily said proudly, "the false Coordinator's troops weren't there! They had run off somewhere else," the Warlord said dismissively.

Subhash Indrahar's smile thinned.

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
« Reply #349 on: 26 March 2013, 19:57:00 »
of course they weren't

afterthought53

• Recruit
« Reply #350 on: 26 March 2013, 21:32:12 »
What game is the Smiling One playing. I think he's on Theodore's side, but one can never truly know with him.

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
« Reply #351 on: 27 March 2013, 11:10:27 »
What game is the Smiling One playing. I think he's on Theodore's side, but one can never truly know with him.
I get the feeling he's on his own side...

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
« Reply #352 on: 29 March 2013, 14:18:46 »
Kinda quiet?

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #353 on: 01 April 2013, 12:32:17 »
Sorry, needed to take a bit of a break.

27 May 3029

"Tell me again how this isn't treachery," Theodore Kurita asked his friend.

Ninyu Kerai huffed. "Because they were obeying your orders."

"But they weren't my orders."

"They didn't know that."

Theodore swallowed the curse escaping his lips and breathed slowly for several seconds. Tok Do was his father's choice as a 'forward' command post, though he knew that Takashi was greatly favouring Irurzun to focus mostly on the Davions. The DCMS had moved several heavens and several earths to upgrade the command infrastructure and build the Dragon's Lair, along with expanding a deal with ComStar for swifter and more secure communications.

It was almost as capable as the High Command's bunker on Luthien, but better staffed with capable people instead of politically necessary appointees. And yet, somehow, no one in his command staff could tell him why the units he believed a jump away from the Federated Suns border was in actuality two or three jumps inside Davion space, occupying worlds he had ordered abandoned.

In one report they were where they should be, and in another, even the troops he had isolated from the rest of the DCMS for their unknown leanings had been rushed forward. In the next update, his Warlords had managed to wage a successful invasion.

And destroyed the groundwork he was building for future operations.

Whatever the AFFS was expecting in the lull, it wasn't this blitzkrieg... Theodore thought clearly, now that almost a week had passed since the surprising report. There had been no point in hiding his rage, the entire Lair's staff had known.

They've been walking around expecting to be executed, when in reality this is my failure.

"Not your fault," Ninyu said, displaying his knack for reading his mind.

"Then whose?"

"Simple," Ninyu said, raising the cowboy hat he had acquired somewhere from his eyes. "The ones who sent the orders."

"And who sent the orders?"

"No idea," the ISF agent said, letting the cowboy hat fall over his eyes again as he stretched on the couch. Theodore grit his teeth and leaned back in his own office chair. Normally, he'd push further, but Ninyu had been on edge since the news from Xinyang. Mentally, he made a note to ask his cousin Constance why would that be.

He stood, taking a moment to stretch his muscles and thought back to the unlikely message from Ardan Sortek. I was expecting an ultimatum, a threat, not another Tharkad Truce. He laughed at the comparison. Did the Fox hope for me to overextend and deal with domestic troubles? If so, he doesn't understand the Draconis Combine or its soldiers. Victory, and conquest, is everything.

He tapped on his desk and drew the latest, clean, field reports. Then he typed in Ninyu's codes and unlocked the unsanitized versions. He was being credited for the 'lightning war' that saw dozens of worlds conquered. Some would have to be surrendered back to the Davions, easily explained away as strikes rather than outright target worlds. But most would remain his.

He purged the unlocked reports, bringing up another set of reports from his Bureau of Substitution and copied them to his noteputer.

Theodore had gaped when career bureaucrats pleaded to him for help; the vast Combine bureaucracy was engaged in its own version of the civil war, and it threatened to bog everyone down with pointless minutiae.

He chuckled, walking out of his office, remembering the war stories: the battle of Form 7-C and Form 7C, fought during the Great Memorandum War of 3028; the Loophole Battle over remuneration for private transportation costs, and on it went for hours.

But he listened as patiently as he could as Coordinator and gave ordinary MechWarriors, ones without samurai heritage, and ordinary soldiers orders to support his loyal bureaucrats.

That meant most of the Combine's ministries were his, without O5P or ISF aid, and that made his cousin and his friend unhappy. He smiled proudly at that.

Theodore let his friend work out a plan; Ninyu needed the stillness, and closed the door to his own office to pace the upper ring of the command room. The men and women tried not to flinch as they saw him, and he settled for nodding graciously in their direction instead of smiling; he tried that yesterday, and three people panicked and fainted.

He walked towards the railing and stared at the massive holomap projection occupying the centre of the spacious room. The border worlds of the Dieron Military District occupied the top third while the Capellan Confederation's Tikonov and Sarna Commonalities, as well as the Draconis March border worlds, filled the rest.

He could see the glowing, empty arrows indicating a regiment withdrawing to one of the worlds Hanse Davion ceded to him. Several green arrows sprouted from the Capellan Confederation, converging on one target. Theodore checked the time on his ringchrono, nodding to himself as he scoured the rest of the map.

Two red arrows with wolf heads were returning to Nirasaki after striking into the Federated Suns. Even the Wolf's Dragoons had disobeyed his orders, or was at least unfaithful to his intent. Theodore couldn't summon the vitriol to rant against the mercenaries; if it hadn't been for their excursions the truce wouldn't exist.

But they did time their attack quite well, using the other mercenaries as cover, Theodore noted as he eyed the reports from the cobbled-together mercenaries his father had hired. He had restricted them to two objectives, vastly outnumbering the AFFS formations on those worlds, and planned the same overwhelming advantages for them in their follow-up targets.

After that, they were under the Capellans' direction.

Theodore shook his head. Technically, they were Candace Liao's right now; ComStar had verified the transfer of contract ownership just a day before the assaults a week ago. But they operated with Kuritan support, planning, and intelligence.

He hoped that would be enough to maintain the truce. The Coordinator scanned the map one last time and brought out his obsidian noteputer.

'New worlds, new lords.' The quote made sense to him when he was younger, but he didn't understand its importance till now. The power of House Kurita was in its people, who venerated the military. By raising up warriors to the nobility, rewarding them for service, he bound them tighter to himself.

Theodore leaned against the railing and studied his staff's annotations to the Bureau of Substitution's suggestions; he had instructed his staff to raise as many commoners, worthy commoners, as possible.

Hours later, the scheduled update ticked in.

Tikonov blinked on the holomap. Its solid yellow circle was now ringed with green.

The Coordinator nodded to himself and returned to his office. The Otomo followed silently in his wake.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #354 on: 02 April 2013, 11:12:32 »
12 kms west of Water Pure Industries' Liberty Plant, Freedom
Virginia Shire, Lyran Commonwealth
29 May 3029

The Zeus staggered under the weight of fire even as its autocannon blared and its heavy laser burned. The Assault 'Mech had dashed forward from the rest of its comrades, hoping to catch the much slower Panthers in a pincer.

Instead, it withered under repeated cuts from a lance of Jenners, melting furrows in its heavy armour with each raking pass.

Sho-sho Tatyana Sobiroff watched in the distance as the Lyran 'Mech crumpled to the ground. She angled her Trebuchet's torso to watch a second Zeus barrel through her lance of Panthers. The Armstrong J-11 Class 5 Autocannon settled on her right shoulder and she loosed careful bursts against the Zeus, chipping away at its already glowing chest.

Her attack was the signal the Panthers were waiting for, and they scattered, firing their PPCs even as she triggered hers. The second Zeus didn't die as gracefully as the first, its nearly-full ammo bins cascaded explosions that chased the fleeing Light 'Mechs.

These aren't the Lyrans we're looking for, she thought, somewhat disappointed.

She nodded to herself as her 'Mech rejoined the rest of her command lance, which she had sent rushing forward in anticipation. Tatyana allowed herself a moment to micromanage, glancing at the Jenners that were already swinging wide and checking on the Panthers' heat and armour situation.

Chikusho! she swore. That damned Lyran went down fighting, she noted, half-admiringly. Even in an ambush they can hurt us. She watched, carefully silent, as the Panther lance's commander re-arranged their formation to shield the more heavily damaged. She sent a coded transmission of approval.

The Wolverine to her right was piloted by Tai-i Rio Sullivan, her company's combat commander. He was already firing at a charging Thunderbolt, the imported WVR-6M's large laser flash-melting half a ton of armour on the uncaring 65-tonner's chest. A Grand Dragon beside the tai-i loosed its missiles, arcing them overhead, even as it hurled a stream of particles to smash the same molten area.

Tatyana left them to it, focusing on the rushing Victor beside the the Lyran Thunderbolt, hurling shells and particles at the gangly Assault. The Lancelot to her left followed with its own energy barrage. They crossed and moved to pincer the much heavier 'Mech; Sho-sho Sobiroff chose to face the VTR-9B's right side; dangerous as it put her closer, but still not in range, to its Class 20 Autocannon.

In the distance, she could see still heavier, and still slower 'Mechs pushing forward. Tatyana stole a glance at her readouts; the tectonics were giving her ancient systems a workout, but it estimated almost 750 tons of 'Mech were heading their way.

The Victor was dead, only its pilot didn't know it yet, as the Lancelot closed in, firing a crippling array of energy weapons. She hurled more lightning and rain from hers, gouging out secondary weapons before both she and her wingman peeled away.

Panthers, relocating far behind them and waiting for the maneuver fired as one, blasting through whatever protection was left on the 80-tonner's torso. The Assault 'Mech died without firing a shot.

The Thunderbolt was still firing as it went down, carving the Grand Dragon's left arm in a concentrated blast from its lasers before the pack of Jenners dashed past its exposed rear.

She swerved away and slowed slightly, opening up the 22nd Dieron Regulars' combat channel. "Good work," she said honestly. "Scatter and fade, this mission is done." She listened in as Tai-i Sullivan reined in her command company, making mental notes for his efficiency. The Bureau of Substitution had already pegged him for a promotion; this would be his last raid as a company commander and she was proud of him.

Tatyana looked up at the compressed 360-band, watching the lumbering Lyran Assault 'Mechs and the dust they raised with their passing. Sweating, though her TBT-7K was well-cooled, she sipped from her canteen, letting her mouth absorb the moisture as she flicked through the rest of her regiment's reports.

Slowly, the knot in her stomach began unwinding as more and more of the companies reported in. Objectives achieved. Light damage, she repeated over and over, thankfully. She had given the DCMS 30 years of service and battle-losses had never been an easy thing for her to accept.

Her command staff filled her in on the whole situation, and she could taste their disapproval for the "Old Lady" and her need to conn a 'Mech. She laughed, lightly so that her mic wouldn't pick it up, and remembered the dry briefings about how historically significant the planet was for the Outer Reaches Rebellion, and how agriculturally significant it was for the entire Freedom Theatre and the reconquered Virginia Shire, formerly of the independent Federation of Skye.

Tatyana paid little attention to ancient history, but she did find it interesting that it was Water Pure Industries' executives--from the conquered Corridan IV and Ryde--that proposed to raid their own Liberty Plant. The machines her 22nd Dieron had managed to take would ramp up parts production, allowing the Combine-Water Pure Industries to meet the flood of demand for more purification tools.

All they had to do was stab their former co-workers in the back.

Business is business... Or Lyrans will be Lyrans, she shook her head as she crested a hill to watch her companies' progress.

Her strategies and tactics were standard DCMS Light Cavalry, though she chose to split apart her Jenner and Panther 'Mechs into lances instead of companies.

"...and loading operations are almost complete, since the last company hauling the parts arrived more than thirty minutes ago--"

"I was held up," Sho-sho Sobiroff said, a little defensively. She didn't want to battle the Lyran heavies, but she needed to be in place just in case the Lyrans responded quickly. The Lightning Companies were effective enough without a proper, focused defense. To be honest, she wanted to test herself against those Light 'Mechs and their pilots.

Tatyana took one longing look at her 360-band and sighed. They faced militia, cobbled-together as a regiment, not a full Regimental Combat Team. And still, vastly better equipped than her regiment.

"HQ, send the report," Tatyana ordered. "Make it clear that we encountered no RCT elements here."

Where is the damned LCAF?

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #355 on: 02 April 2013, 11:54:51 »
Fort Draconis, Dieron
Dieron Military District, Draconis Combine
30 May 3029

"Where the hell are they?" Michi Noketsuma fumed.

He had set his terminal to wake him once the reports from the spoiling attacks were received; the priority burst arrived in the middle of the night, waking him from some rare, restful sleep.

The reports were both good and bad. All the attacks were successful, all the objectives completed. But the true purpose, to find and pin down Lyran RCTs, went unfulfilled. So far there had been nothing for the raiders to spoil since no one could find their targets.

His sensei had given him leave to plan the attacks, and he engineered them in such a way that they were more than the titanic clashes of 'Mech regiments kill each other. It was a return to the raids-in-force of only a few years ago.

Securing or damaging industries, stealing non-essential parts. Michi sat back down in his seat. Even the Freedom raid won't hurt much, he assured himself, mentally replaying the projections his new staff had created to soothe his worries. They believe me to be frightened of the Elsies, he laughed silently. They're right. We hurt them any more and they'll go after us, Truce or no.

He glanced back longingly to his empty bed, then returned to his terminal.

Morning was already old when he left his office, and the short walk to the meeting room was not pleasant. Fort Draconis was no longer under emergency mode, officially. But the crumbling of an entire continent was not something so easily handled. Warlord Tetsuhara delegated most of the tasks of the war to him and his staff, focusing instead on rescue and salvage operations. That one continent supplied a third of the district, though the Warlord still reviewed war plans every morning, his attention was--rightly or wrongly--working with the district's nobles to limit the damage.

It was a heroic effort, though it crossed the official boundaries of his office, he was admired for the genuine care he displayed.

In contrast, Michi knew he wasn't living up to his sensei's hopes for him. The Dragoons had slipped their leashes, striking out in major raids of their own, which while technically legal still meant that they needed to have been informed. Out of courtesy.

It rankled, but not as much as the attacks 'failures'.

Tai-shu Minobu Tetsuhara had aged a decade over the last few weeks. He was sitting at the head of the oval table, savouring the taste of his tea and the few minutes of quiet he had interrupted.

He nodded, and sat down in silence, hoping not to intrude further.

"Spit it out, Michi," his teacher said, gently.

"I've failed."

"Oh?"

Michi breathed out, annoyed and comforted at the familiar exchange. He opened his mouth but Minobu interrupted.

"You didn't find the Lyrans."

"We found some Lyrans," he added.

"Just not the ones ravaging our dear ally's fiefdom?" Minobu asked, sipping his tea. "Nor the ones raiding the Lyons Prefecture?"

Michi remained silent and still.

"When did you last sleep, Michi?"

"Last night."

"Hmm, for how long?"

"Ahh--" he began, then yawned when he realized his sensei was doing the same. "Not long enough."

"A night's rest would have done more for you than staying up all night and pouring over reports, Michi. I thought you knew that--"

"--I didn't just go over them, again... sensei" he added, realizing that he had cut off Minobu. "I think I know where they are."

Minobu took several more sips of his tea, and Michi strained. It was a lesson, he knew, and he was grateful and infuriated at the same time. Finally, Minobu's head dipped once.

"Skye."

Minobu laughed. "Of course they're in Skye!"

"No, sensei. On Skye. At least part of the forces. General Nondi Steiner sent a third of the troops from Rasalhague down here, and they're more than enough."

The Warlord waved away the reports. "Why Skye? And why not just end Lestrade's reign?"

"Because they already have. Lestrade's reports to us no longer match reality, haven't been matching up for weeks. The Federation of Skye is almost wholly fully re-integrated into the Commonwealth," Michi said slowly. He itched to plug in his stacks of optichips but he waited.

His trust in his sensei's intuition was rewarded by a smile, a nod, then a grimace.

"I've... neglected my duties. It's been there for months now..."

"Hai," Michi agreed without blame. He could almost feel Minobu Tetsuhara's anger at himself. "But at least they still believe we don't know that. The last raids should be proof of that."

Warlord Dieron glared at him, and Michi wilted slightly until Minobu nodded.

"What of the reports that Rasalhague has been emptied? That two-thirds of Nondi Steiner's task force have left?" Minobu leaned in closer to him. "Where is the other third?"

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #356 on: 03 April 2013, 00:14:28 »
Now the game is afoot. Very nice indeed.
May no one ever know less then me......

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #357 on: 03 April 2013, 12:03:38 »
Yep, lotsa big moves incoming!

============================

Lestrade Palace, Summer
Federation of Skye, Lyran Commonwealth
4 June 3029

Grand Duke Aldo Lestrade quivered despite the heat. He stood as straight as he could, eyes burning hatred for the man seated in his office, and gently pressed down on the cane with his thumb.

The nobleman gleefully ignored him, pawing through his personal files like a preening cat. Aldo gripped his cane tightly, and the armed guards in the room didn't react.

I'm not a threat, am I? Grand Duke Lestrade thought mockingly.

"Frederick is dead, you know," Ryan Steiner said moments later. "The Kuritans took his body, who knows why--well, I thought at least, that they'd drop off his corpse to you and build some sort of memorial. Freddie," the man said, laughing, "became quite a popular figure here, didn't he?"

"A hero, to some," Aldo offered.

Ryan Steiner guffawed. "To whom? The sheep and cattle that dare dream to be your pawns?" He stood suddenly, shaking his head and walked from behind Aldo's desk. Contemptuously, he raised one hand and made a dismissive motion, and the guards--as one--turned away and left.

Aldo felt his rage boil over, but Ryan interrupted him with a laugh. "You shouldn't have crossed Alessandro," Ryan said with a pitying shake of his head.

"Is that so?"

"Quite." Ryan leaned back against the desk, breathing in. "He would have disposed of you. Of both of you, once you were no longer necessary. But that would have been years from now... Plenty of time to--"

"--to stab him in the back, later?" Aldo offered. "I've waited long enough--"

"--For?" Ryan asked, mockingly sincere. "For your chance to grab a third of the Commonwealth?" asked the young man.

"No."

"So it really was a gambit, wasn't it? Sending poor Freddie all the way to Tharkad? All or nothing." Ryan paused. "Interesting. Are you dying?"

"Aren't we all?" Aldo asked, with a smile. He moved in closer to a stuffed chair and lowered himself, breathing out in relief. "Why?"

Ryan smiled. "You've spent decades planning, even conniving with Snakes, and you threw it all away on a dice throw."

Aldo sat up straighter, resting his hands on the cane in front of him. The memories of Tharkad and the strike that could've handed him, and Frederick, the Commonwealth played in front of his eyes.

Then he barked out a laugh. "I would have gotten away with it too--"

"--if it weren't for those meddling Kuritans, yes," Ryan said, nodding as he moved directly in front of him. "Point, grand duke," the young nobleman added with a smile.

Insufferable--

"So, how will you do it?" he asked instead of voicing his thoughts.

"Hmm?"

"Betray Alessandro?"

Ryan Steiner laughed, and Aldo hated him all the more for his light, airy manner. "I already have."

Aldo sat, patiently, but affected a confused look.

"I told Katrina, the *****, that I had a change of heart. I confessed, you see, and provided mother and daughter both with information. They'll drag Alessandro away in chains!" Ryan laughed.

"Skye will be free again," Aldo said after the young man finished being amused.

Ryan Steiner nodded, stood, and burned a hole into Grand Duke Aldo Lestrade's forehead. "Yes, and it'll be mine too."

The body toppled to one side, the cane falling the other way. Ryan Steiner kicked the blinking cane away, shattering the crystal head against the wall. Seconds later, the room's holo-systems responded to the unintentional command and stopped recording.

The palace's systems stored the holo-recording according to protocol; burying it in the databanks save for one copy, heavily encrypted and forwarded to a courier. A DropShip left within the hour from the newly liberated capital of the Federation of Skye.

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #358 on: 04 April 2013, 06:31:53 »
Nice to see the trash taking itself out for once.
May no one ever know less then me......

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #359 on: 04 April 2013, 08:33:48 »
Kangzhuang Forest, 23 km southwest of Kallontown (Yang-ku), Nanking
Tikonov Commonality, Capellan Confederation
4 June 3029

Kathleen Heany growled as the Marauder II loosed missiles at her.

Marauders shouldn't have missiles! she raged as she rode out the impacts. Her 'Mech was far from fresh, but the warheads merely mangled more armour.

Suddenly, she missed the old, battered Atlas that had been stripped from her when she was 'awarded' a new Banshee for her participation on Tharkad. The BNC-3S had greater overall` firepower than her Atlas, but the 100-tonner could at least respond against long range missile bombardment.

Instead of firing back, she dashed forward again, only for her foe to waddle back on its bird-legs, staying beyond the effective edge of PPC fire. Colonel-Kaptain Heany resisted the urge to blast the 100-tonner, knowing better than to raise her 'Mech's waste heat unnecessarily.

The rest of her command company had no such restrictions, and returned fire with their own missiles. The Marauder II was suddenly wreathed in fire and smoke, cascading shards of armour as it retreated further into the forest. But the Capellan had been distracted long enough to allow her to move in closer, and she sent two streams of charged particles to slam its side, burning through composites and foamed aluminum and wrecking the missile launcher there.

She slowed down, waiting for the rest of her company to catch up and maintain the line. Those Dai Da Chi bastards might still be around here somewhere, she reminded herself, stealing another glance at her damage readout. An hour earlier, a minute-long skirmish savaged her, her command lance, and the tanks she had trudging along before the Warrior House 'Mechs ran off into the forest.

They caught her unprepared. Worse, they caught her cowed, waiting for approval from her Davion 'advisors'.

Then she trudged against wave after wave of ambushes launched by a backwater regiment. A backwater garrison fielding top-of-the-line Assault 'Mechs, she noted.

Without knowing it, she growled again.

Kathleen thrust her 'Mech's fist triumphantly into the air and charged, bringing the rest of the 4th Skye Rangers forward.

It was hardly her regiment any longer. The unit's loyalties to Skye, and to Aldo Lestrade, made its situation after the Tharkad Truce shaky at best. But, out of her own volition, she had come to defend the Archon against the Kuritans. That she was a mere Hauptmann-Kommandant then, and somehow in charge of the elite 4th Skye Rangers, spoke in her favour.

Archon Katrina had been grateful, but it was Melissa Steiner-Davion that granted her the 'Mech, the rank, and the chance to redeem herself.

And all it cost me was my unit's soul, she thought as the regiment advanced in careful coordination with the conventional assets now tied to her command. She had done her best to discard the tankers and infantry before Duke Lestrade's ploys, but they found their way back.

We're not even a regiment, we're an RCT...

The leading edge of the advance staggered as the tanks blew out treads and she punched her fists together in frustration. Her 'Mechs now had no choice but to move up, as they'd been drilled to, to cover for the tanks and their crews and their infantry, right into the minefield.

She saw it all play out again and again. Her frustrations hemmed her in, and she was powerless to respond.

Even as she thought it, thick streams of missiles poured from beyond line of sight, smashing down on the 'Mechs; hidden by trees and hills, the Capellan tanks were already situation for ambush. They saw only glimpses of the Capellans, mostly their muzzle flashes and missile streaks.

Her first reaction was to order an artillery strike. She thought it was generous of her to allow infantry to even fire their guns, but the Davion advisors she had been saddled with had looked at her as if she were a dim child. Fresh from their academies, they had suggestions that had failed one after the other.

Sending in the infantry didn't work, snipers and worse waited for them in the bush. Her Davion advisors then recommended VTOLs or aerospace strikes, only to uncover hidden anti-air assets.

She opened the link back to her command vehicle again. "So," she asked slowly, "Artillery?"

"There is a chance that a barrage will cause a fire and lose us the entire forest, and cut us off--"

"--There's a 100% chance that we'll get cut apart piecemeal because you're afraid of fire!--"

"Your tanks and infantry won't survive if you send them through a fire, colonel-kaptain--"

"--And neither will the Capellans," she shouted back. "Order the damned strikes!"