Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Incubus/Vixen  (Read 14606 times)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Incubus/Vixen
« Reply #30 on: 16 December 2011, 02:51:02 »
Not really..because it doesn't miss the point like most of the Clan IIC's do...

I would argue the Clan IICs get the point. But the point is impossible on the tonnages available. For example why do Riflemen have mismatched weapons when the four barrels are the same? The IIC fixes that. The Marauder is similar. The same for the Warhammer.

The basic point is, the original IICs followed their art better than the original 'Mechs. That they required changed tonnages to do so is neither here nor there.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #31 on: 16 December 2011, 12:43:39 »
They could do the same without changed tonnages. I think TPTB just wanted to make them more Clan-flavor instead of mere Spheroid clones after centuries of independent development in the Homeworlds.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 16 December 2011, 16:32:52 »
One thing I forgot last time, AMS and L-AMS tend to be classified as equipment not weapons and thus would not be effected by carrying a hand held weapon

I don't think that logic holds up to scrutiny. Anti-missile systems are still basically specialized machine guns (or small pulse lasers, respectively) that need to be able to actively shoot down incoming missiles in order to have any effect; thus, if there's something in the way that would interfere with the normal operation of the "standard" versions of the respective weapon, it ought to do the same for the AMS.

Could always head- or leg-mount one, of course. Handheld weapons only specifically prevent you from using arm- or torso-mounted weapons while you carry them, after all.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 16 December 2011, 16:54:45 »
Considering that AMS would most likely incorporate their own micro turrets and would have to deal with the arms getting in the way any way
hmm... possible house rule: AMS aren't effected by sensor hits due to on-mount sensors

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #34 on: 16 December 2011, 23:05:24 »
Back to the topic of the Incubus/Vixen.....

I have had some great luck with this Mech when one of my characters was lucky enough to capture one.  An amazing machine that can hit way harder than its weight would indicate.

I especially love the 2 and its lovely ERPPC.
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 17 December 2011, 04:03:28 »
Considering that AMS would most likely incorporate their own micro turrets and would have to deal with the arms getting in the way any way
hmm... possible house rule: AMS aren't effected by sensor hits due to on-mount sensors

And other torso-mounted systems facing the same issues wouldn't incorporate their own micro-turrets and redundant targeting systems...why, exactly? For that matter, would you make the same argument you're making for anti-missile systems for TAG (another not-quite-weapon piece of gear)?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #36 on: 17 December 2011, 06:37:21 »
AMS isn't affected by sensor hits anyway (Total Warfare page 128-130).  That said, please take this particular rules debate to Ground Combat or ask the question in the Rules thread.  (I suggest TW since this is a limitation of the 'Mech lifting rules, not anything unique to handheld weapons.)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #37 on: 24 December 2011, 22:04:13 »
I've been a fan of Clan Light mechs that move fast and mount nasty arrays of energy weapons, so naturally I love using the Vixen.

With the 4, the fun times begin when you get behind someone with that Heavy Large Laser.  Blasting off a few of the secondary weapons is even more fun- if you've got yourself arranged so that you'll easily be able to get 10 hexes of straight line movement the round after, it's a good way to cripple someone.  Just don't get up above a -2 movement penalty.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register