Author Topic: Goodbye, Capella. Goodbye, BattleTech.  (Read 29926 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: Goodbye, Capella. Goodbye, BattleTech.
« Reply #90 on: 06 April 2013, 12:04:16 »
A joke thread is a failure if Poe's Law isn't fulfilled.

Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #91 on: 06 April 2013, 12:43:29 »
By the time you railed on your parentage, it sunk in.  I'm still a newb to the board, just not a n00b.

Good on ya.  If it's one thing I've learned on the Internet, it's that reading comprehension and being able to recognize and categorize nonsense as satire is a highly valuable tool for survival.

A joke thread is a failure if Poe's Law isn't fulfilled.

Joke threads are overrated.  Most of the humor in them is far too heavy-handed to be amusing in an intelligent way.  Why not make a thread that's only funny to a select set of people in discrimination? Oops, right, because that's politically incorrect and offensive.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #92 on: 06 April 2013, 12:52:22 »
BTW Youngblood I think your avatar dislocated her jaw.

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: 06 April 2013, 15:08:42 »
BTW Youngblood I think your avatar dislocated her jaw.

I think Cecilia Davion here has a bit more to worry about than a dislocated jaw.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #94 on: 06 April 2013, 15:11:10 »
I think Cecilia Davion here has a bit more to worry about than a dislocated jaw.

WHAT THE FLAPPERJACKS I just noticed what you wrote underneath your avatar.

I chortled a lil'

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #95 on: 06 April 2013, 17:21:00 »
Combined Free Confederated Commonwealth Star League of Suns.

And the colour should be purple ;)

Not a bad name, it actually works, with just one exception:

It needs 'Wolf' somewhere in the name.  There isn't enough factions with a Wolf/canine theme  :-\
Formerly known as 'Phad'

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #96 on: 06 April 2013, 17:42:53 »

It needs 'Wolf' somewhere in the name.  There isn't enough factions with a Wolf/canine theme  :-\

The symbol will be a wolf-headed dragon with steel gauntlets holding a broadsword and a dao, with eagle's wings, against a Cameron Star background.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #97 on: 06 April 2013, 17:47:36 »

Wolf Wolf Wolf Wolf Wolf Wolf Confederated Wolf has a nice ring to it.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #98 on: 06 April 2013, 17:51:19 »
Wolf Wolf Wolf Wolf Wolf Wolf Confederated Wolf has a nice ring to it.

BLECH. I don't like Wolf.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 06 April 2013, 18:11:13 »
Which one, the first, the third, or the sixth?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #100 on: 06 April 2013, 18:26:11 »
Which one, the first, the third, or the sixth?

Can't you just hold the Wolf?

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #101 on: 06 April 2013, 18:32:34 »
Can't you just hold the Wolf?

Sounds like you need a bit of WOLF in your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KEa2CrIuZk

I wanted to post another song but I'm pretty sure it's considered NSFW.

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #102 on: 06 April 2013, 23:54:16 »
BLECH. I don't like Wolf.

???

How could you not?  Adding Wolf instantly makes things better.

Take, for example, your name:  ColBosch?  More like ColWOLF.  Now we're talking!  8)

Still not convinced?  Mercenary units pushed around in the Third Succession War?  Add in Wolf's Dragoons and BAM!  'Mercs' are now kicking around the Snakes and making the Mariks flee in terror.

Heir to a joke of a nation that's certain to be gobbled back up by the Dracs sooner rather than later?  Slap 'Clan Wolf' on your uniform and suddenly even the Ghost Bears want you to create Bloodnames for you!

Add some Wolf to Arc-Royal and what do you get?  A fortress.  That's what.  Not enough? Now not only are you feared by your very own Archon, but  everyone that's somebody in the Inner Sphere wants to meet eachother on your planet to discuss how to take out Blakists.

Crusader Clans lacking? Add a (Crusader) Clan Wolf to the mix, and the Star League is coming to you in the Kerensky Cluster instead of the other way around.

Speaking of the Kerensky Cluster, what happens when Clan Wolf left it?  We don't know.  They're still hiding.

Why are the Jade Falcons so angry?  They don't have enough Wolf.

Clearly, you just need more Wolf in your life.  ^-^

Formerly known as 'Phad'

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #103 on: 07 April 2013, 02:49:07 »
Impressive list, sir, but I would like to remind you that I'm the ****** ColBosch.

Why is Wolf so badass? Because they want to be like me. Why haven't they reached Earth yet? Because I'm here, and I. Don't. Like. Wolf.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #104 on: 07 April 2013, 10:18:41 »
Impressive list, sir, but I would like to remind you that I'm the ****** ColBosch.

Why is Wolf so badass? Because they want to be like me. Why haven't they reached Earth yet? Because I'm here, and I. Don't. Like. Wolf.

Compelling argument. With the release of the new era report, though, I think this is worth mentioning:

WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLFWOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF

Seriously, though, they way the Wolves were presented in the new books was pretty interesting. Spoilers, ofc.

WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF!!!

WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF!!

WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF!!!! (made you WOLF) 

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #105 on: 07 April 2013, 11:46:53 »
How many minutes did it actually take you to construct that post?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #106 on: 07 April 2013, 11:56:10 »
How many minutes did it actually take you to construct that post?

If more than none, too many.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #107 on: 07 April 2013, 12:03:50 »
My copy-paster was broken, it took me the better part of two days. Consider it a long-term investment.

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: 07 April 2013, 12:06:43 »
Oh.  I was afraid you were actually an intelligent computer program floating around in the Tron zone of these forums.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #109 on: 07 April 2013, 20:12:00 »
The symbol will be a wolf-headed dragon with steel gauntlets holding a broadsword and a dao, with eagle's wings, against a Cameron Star background.

Shame Hikage Maru is AFK due to life pressures - I'd totally break my no-sig-picture rule for that userbar.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #110 on: 07 April 2013, 20:24:13 »
Good on ya.  If it's one thing I've learned on the Internet, it's that reading comprehension and being able to recognize and categorize nonsense as satire is a highly valuable tool for survival.

...and getting a little better every day, hopefully. 

As for the OP, the tone was utterly convincing in the first couple paragraphs.  And it worked, you stirred up a lot of folks either way. 

I still remember covering Swift in class - HS and college.  Even in the latter, you'll get a few people from time to time that don't know if they should be outraged by A Modest Proposal or not. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #111 on: 07 April 2013, 20:54:17 »
For years, I've floated speculative work ideas under the subject/title "A modest proposal ...", and only once has anyone ever given me a funny look about it.  ::)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #112 on: 07 April 2013, 21:06:47 »
There may or may not have been some tiny shred of real dissatisfaction that sparked the motivation to spawn such a grand outburst of mockery as the OP.  Perhaps not at the same targets the post attempts to rail against, but we're all driven by something sometimes.  Can you tell I hate nerds?

Also, riddle me this.  What do you call a person who partakes in the same make-believe for twenty years, and for all those twenty years, feels that his or her own make-believe is corrupted against himself or herself?  What sorts of factors can keep such a person at this for two decades?  I mean, I can't even imagine where I'll be or what kind of things I will like six months from now.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: 07 April 2013, 21:15:34 »
Also, riddle me this.  What do you call a person who partakes in the same make-believe for twenty years, and for all those twenty years, feels that his or her own make-believe is corrupted against himself or herself?  What sorts of factors can keep such a person at this for two decades

Comic book fans?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #114 on: 07 April 2013, 21:34:55 »
He's talking about the drug that is Battletech.

Been an addict to it going on oh, 20+ years. I'm 39 now.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 07 April 2013, 22:31:27 »
I can understand liking something despite its faults.  But when the only thing one knows to post on the forum is lamentation at some kind of real or imagined grudge being held against a space robot country he or she has excess personal investment in, isn't that sort of like voluntarily choosing to live with diabetes?  Don't answer that, I meant for this to be rhetorical so nobody can argue against me, I am the best worst forum user.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #116 on: 07 April 2013, 22:34:12 »
Oh Youngblood, I [RESCINDED BY ORDER OF MY LAWYER] you. Never change.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2013, 23:19:30 by GreekFire »

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #117 on: 07 April 2013, 22:49:58 »
Oh Youngblood, I love you. Never change.

I once warned a poster against his sentiment when he told me that "I feel you".  I consider that to be sexual harassment.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #118 on: 07 April 2013, 23:18:54 »
THIS RESCISSION AGREEMENT made as of the 8th day of April, 2013.

BETWEEN:

GREEKFIRE,
an individual under the laws of the Free Worlds League, (hereinafter called "Gee Fy-a")
OF THE FIRST PART;

-  and  -

YOUNGBLOOD,
a thing incorporated under the laws of the Capellan Confederation, (hereinafter called "lil' blood")
OF THE SECOND PART.

WHEREAS Gee Fy-a retained lil' blood to provide certain affectionate
services to an emotional agreement (the"Emotional Agreement")
dated as of April 7, 2013 between Gee and lil' blood;

AND WHEREAS Gee Fy-a and lil' blood desire to rescind the Emotional
Agreement in accordance with the terms and subject to the conditions
set out herein;

NOW THEREFORE in consideration of the mutual covenants herein
contained and the payment of 1.00 Fox-Bill by each of the parties hereto to
each of the other parties hereto (the receipt and sufficiency of
which are hereby acknowledged by each of the parties), the parties
hereto covenant and agree with one another as follows:

1.   Rescission of Emotional Agreement.  Gee Fy-a and lil' blood hereby
agree, subject to the provisions of this Agreement, that effective
at and as of the date hereof (the "Effective Date") the Emotional
Agreement and all other agreements and understandings whether
written or oral relating to the subject matter of the Emotional
Agreement shall be rescinded and shall be of no further force and
effect, including without limiting the generality of the forgoing,
the letter agreement dated April 7th, 2013 between Gee Fy-a and lil' blood.

2.   No Obligations.  Gee Fy-a, lil' blood and all of the moderators
and any other party related thereto or controlled thereby, wholly or
in part, directly or indirectly, hereby acknowledge and agree,
subject to the provisions of this Agreement, that effective at and
as of the Effective Date, none of Gee Fy-a, lil' blood or all of the moderators
and any other party related thereto or controlled thereby,
wholly or in part, directly or indirectly, shall have any further
obligations to each other pursuant to or arising directly or
indirectly from the Emotional Agreement or from any other agreement
and understanding whether written or oral relating to the subject
matter thereof.

3.   Release.  Subject to the provisions of this Agreement,
effective at and as of the Effective Date, Gee Fy-a, lil' blood, CGL and
all of the moderators and any other party related thereto or
controlled thereby, wholly or in part, directly or indirectly,
hereby forever release and discharge the others and all of them,
their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, parents and associated
companies, successors and assigns, together with their respective
directors, officers, consultants and agents, and their respective
successors and assigns from any and all actions, causes of action,
contracts, covenants (whether express or implied), claims and
demands for damages, indemnity, costs, interest, loss or injury of
every nature and kind whatsoever and howsoever arising, whether
known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, which such party may
heretofore have had, may now have, or may in the future have, at law
or in equity, by reason of or arising directly or indirectly from
the Emotional Agreement.

4.   Independent Legal Advice.  lil' blood and all of the moderators
hereby represent and warrant to Gee Fy-a and acknowledge and
agree that it or he has had sufficient opportunity to seek and was
not prevented nor discouraged by Gee Fy-a from seeking independent
legal advice prior to the execution and delivery of this Agreement
and that, in the event that it or he did not avail itself or himself
of that opportunity prior to signing this Agreement, it or he did so
voluntarily without any undue pressure and agrees that it or his
failure to obtain independent legal advice shall not be used by it
or him as a defence to the enforcement of it or his obligations
under this Agreement.  lil' blood and all of the moderators hereby
represent and warrant that it or he fully understands the nature and
effect of this Agreement and that it or he is entering into it
freely and voluntarily.

5.   Governing Law.  This Agreement will be governed by and
construed in accordance with the laws of the Capellan Confederation
and Free Worlds League and the laws of the [INSERT NUMBER] Star League
applicable therein.

6.   Severability.  If any provision of this Agreement is determined
by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, illegal or
unenforceable in any respect, such determination shall not impair or
affect the validity, legality or enforceability of the remaining
provisions hereof, and each provision is hereby declared to be
separate, severable and distinct.

7.   Counterparts.  This Agreement may be executed in any number of
counterparts (by original or facsimile signature) and all such
counterparts taken together will be deemed to constitute one and the
same instrument.

8.   Effect of Agreement.  This Agreement will enure to the benefit
of and be binding upon the parties hereto and their respective
successors and assigns and heirs, executors and administrators, as
applicable.

9.  Entire Agreement.  This Agreement constitutes the entire
agreement between the parties hereto with respect to the subject
matter hereof and supersedes all prior agreements, understandings,
negotiations and discussions, whether written or oral.  There are no
conditions, covenants, agreements, representations, warranties or
other provisions, express or implied, collateral, statutory or
otherwise, relating to the subject matter hereof except as herein
provided.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF the parties hereto have executed this
Agreement as of the day and year first above written.

GreekFire

Name: Greek Fire
Title: Hoodrat

Youngblood

Name: Youngblood
Title: Filthy Capellan Scum

SIGNED, SEALED AND DELIVERED
in the presence of:

truetanker

Ian Sharpe

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: 08 April 2013, 06:41:26 »
Please let me see the children at least every month or so.  It's the least I can do for them.

Register