Author Topic: FedSuns C3 Master mech for Dominions Divided game  (Read 460 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
FedSuns C3 Master mech for Dominions Divided game
« on: 24 March 2024, 23:49:03 »
I'm planning to run a game based on the FedSuns counterattack against the Draconis Combine, as laid out in Dominions Divided.  I'm thinking about including a C3 lance for the FedSuns but wondering what mech should carry the Master.  Was looking at both the E and F configurations of the Templar (handy since I've got one painted in Robinson's Rangers colors), but I wanted to look at other options.  The game is going to be about three weeks from now so it's not a rush.  So far, the only other mech in the lance is going to be an Archer 9R, so I'd also accept suggestions for the other two slots.

Thanks.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

CitizenErased

• Master Sergeant
  • Eldritch Galactic Princess
    • Dykes Dig Giant Robots
Re: FedSuns C3 Master mech for Dominions Divided game
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2024, 00:17:40 »
How about a Pendragon 3R? Solid armor, decent speed, and plenty of long-range firepower to keep it out of immediate harm's way.
Your friendly neighborhood transgender giant robot enthusiast!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2024, 00:21:12 »
I'm dubious about sticking a C3M in anything that crumbles so quickly.  Freaking Composite internal structure...

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2024, 01:24:12 »
A quick check with the MUL for FedSuns and General Inner Sphere with C3M available in Dark Age and ilClan provides in descending mass order:

Ares ARS-V1C Aphrodite
Sagittaire SGT-9D
Pendragon PDG-3R
Sunder B (though, this is a double)
Cyclopse CP-11-C2 (another double)
Templar E & F
Gunslinger GUN-2ERD
Doloire C
Fennec FEC-1CM  (The 5CM has a Boosted C3M, but I don't know how available that is.)

So, you have a dozen options, and that doesn't even consider Omnimech capacity to make some adjustments to encourage the minimal direct sighting of the Master or reduce the double on the Sunder.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2024, 05:00:30 »
Fed Suns must have captured enough DC mechs the would have Cyclops and Naganatas to spare . Dominion divided campaign logistical train in DC controlled areas permit capture of spare parts . It would make sense to sink resources into a hard hitting attrition unit to permit blitzkrieg like success . Only when they start to succeed in pushing the DC out will they truly need a C3 master unit of their own.  A Cyclops armes with gauss or light gauss and LRM  ? Might fit ?

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2024, 12:36:29 »
A quick check with the MUL for FedSuns and General Inner Sphere with C3M available in Dark Age and ilClan provides in descending mass order:

Ares ARS-V1C Aphrodite
Sagittaire SGT-9D
Pendragon PDG-3R
Sunder B (though, this is a double)
Cyclopse CP-11-C2 (another double)
Templar E & F
Gunslinger GUN-2ERD
Doloire C
Fennec FEC-1CM  (The 5CM has a Boosted C3M, but I don't know how available that is.)

So, you have a dozen options, and that doesn't even consider Omnimech capacity to make some adjustments to encourage the minimal direct sighting of the Master or reduce the double on the Sunder.

I'd go with the Gunslinger, simply because of the range and damage potential of the double Gauss rifles. One could pull some nasty C3 equations with that Gunslinger standing off at 20 hexes...

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2024, 14:45:22 »
Definitely go with the Gunslinger for your master. For your other two 'Mechs try the TLR1-OI Templar, and the STH-2D1 Stealth as your spotter.
I have spoken.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2024, 17:05:10 »
Definitely go with the Gunslinger for your master. For your other two 'Mechs try the TLR1-OI Templar, and the STH-2D1 Stealth as your spotter.

This is an extremely strong setup here mentioned by Fat Guy:  OI Templar is a great hole puncher.  I've also had success with the 5R Marauder and 8D Warhammer in C3 lances. 

Not that there a lot of good C3 options with ReLasers--but lots of the new Combine mechs have either Ballistic Reinforced or Hardened Armor, so I'd go ahead and focus on Energy weapons when you can.  Even more annoying, the Kishi Battle Armor is now the main battlesuit for the DCMS, and it features Reflective armor.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2024, 17:08:25 by MarauderD »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2024, 18:42:16 »
I'm thinking about including a C3 lance for the FedSuns but wondering what mech should carry the Master.  Was looking at both the E and F configurations of the Templar (handy since I've got one painted in Robinson's Rangers colors), but I wanted to look at other options......
So far, the only other mech in the lance is going to be an Archer 9R, so I'd also accept suggestions for the other two slots.

Gunslinger GUN-2ERD

I'd go with the Gunslinger, simply because of the range and damage potential of the double Gauss rifles. One could pull some nasty C3 equations with that Gunslinger standing off at 20 hexes...

I've been using this as my default mech master since the day it was introduced.  So I add another vote for it.

As for the remainder of the lance.....

Templar-I is no joke from the looks of it.
I personally love the Warhammer-8D as well.

For a "spotter".

Locust-5W2
Javelin-11D
Spider-C
Firestarter-OB
Wolverine-8C

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2024, 19:57:41 »
I'd been contemplating a Stealth 2D1, Shadow Hawk 9D, or Wolverine 9W2 as the spotter.  Something that combines mobility with durability.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2024, 00:29:00 »
Ive used the boosted c3M on the Fennec, and really liked that machine.  The Radical heat sinks are fun to play with IMHO, and I want my master hanging back so the RE Lasers at 15 is a good spot to be in.  Boosted meant I had less headaches with ecm, but the 5->7% upcharge means you do get less machine, as the Fennec is lighter and all.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2024, 09:34:03 »
I'd been contemplating a Stealth 2D1, Shadow Hawk 9D, or Wolverine 9W2 as the spotter.  Something that combines mobility with durability.

If you're going to go Wolverine, the Suns has access to the 8C in your time frame. It's one of my all time favorite 'Mechs.
I have spoken.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2024, 17:45:04 »
Yeah, but the 9W2 can jump 7 to get a +4 TMM, which for a C3 spotter is better IMO than the 8C's moderately better close-in damage.