Author Topic: anyone ever thought of a 4xSRM6 SW-era Dervish variant?  (Read 21919 times)

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: anyone ever thought of a 4xSRM6 SW-era Dervish variant?
« Reply #30 on: 27 January 2011, 23:51:09 »
The speed spoiled me. To this day I can't stand using anything below 4/6 no matter how powerful it is.
Heh, I'm that way with anything that can't manage 5/8... I can use them, but generally I just lumber those forward for use as diversions/shell traps while keeping my fast movers hopping around laterally behind the heavier force.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #31 on: 28 January 2011, 11:26:20 »
Or only replace 1 LRM10 with 2 SRM4s and use it to provide extra close up muscle in a missile based fire support lance.

I've seen Archers used in a similar way or even with all LRMS replaced with SRMs.

Nasty! 
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #32 on: 28 January 2011, 12:47:52 »
Or only replace 1 LRM10 with 2 SRM4s and use it to provide extra close up muscle in a missile based fire support lance.
The only issue I see with this is the lack of compatability w/ the Arm mounted SRM2's.
So I'd probably do SRM2's and share ammo w/ the existing ones.

Though If I was doing a refit I wouldn't go 4xSRM6,  heat is too much of a problem,  better to just do a Pair and use the remaining tonnage for Armor & Heatsinks.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #33 on: 28 January 2011, 13:32:17 »
I should clarify that my suggestion was to replace all the launchers with four SRM 4s, not just the LRMs.  If you're going to be a brawler, don't mess around and do the job.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 28 January 2011, 21:14:07 »
Or, on the way of being a simpler refit, what about pulling the SRM-2s and the MLs in favor of 2x SRM-4s? Drop one ton of ammo for a ton of armor and you've got a not-too-bad variant.

Or just 4x MLs and +2 tons of armor? Yeah, you'd be riding the heat curve when it comes time to close in, but if you fire off all your LRMs first ammo explosions aren't exactly a worry.

After careful consideration of how I use the Dervish, I'm reluctant to pull the LRMs entirely - I tend to like them as leader of a light fire lance with Valkyries. Similar movement profiles, similar range profiles, they just work well together. It's the SRM-2s that hold back the Dervish IMHO. SRM-2s are just a bad idea, especially without CASE; they're just an ammo explosion waiting to happen. That 4 tons can be put to much better uses... say, upping the LRM-10s to -15s?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 29 January 2011, 04:17:09 »
I could see the dropping the 1 LRM for paired SRM4s...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 29 January 2011, 05:35:24 »
Or, on the way of being a simpler refit, what about pulling the SRM-2s and the MLs in favor of 2x SRM-4s? Drop one ton of ammo for a ton of armor and you've got a not-too-bad variant.

Or just 4x MLs and +2 tons of armor? Yeah, you'd be riding the heat curve when it comes time to close in, but if you fire off all your LRMs first ammo explosions aren't exactly a worry.

After careful consideration of how I use the Dervish, I'm reluctant to pull the LRMs entirely - I tend to like them as leader of a light fire lance with Valkyries. Similar movement profiles, similar range profiles, they just work well together. It's the SRM-2s that hold back the Dervish IMHO. SRM-2s are just a bad idea, especially without CASE; they're just an ammo explosion waiting to happen. That 4 tons can be put to much better uses... say, upping the LRM-10s to -15s?
The first is a standard mod I think. The second I think you're better off with an extra HS, as I've stated. The third is great as long as you can make most of your LRM shots count. After that You'd need to run or hope it's speed and jumpyness would let you get in a backshot. Heck, with minor mods, Dervishes can cover just about every role passably well.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

TJHairball

• Master Sergeant
    • Ravings of an Ivory Tower Lunatic
« Reply #37 on: 29 January 2011, 06:33:45 »
Why not believe in 2xSRM-4, 2xSRM-6, and +4 HS?

The Dervish does have a bit of a heat issue. Good modifications need to address that.
President-designate of the Dead World Collective. We control more worlds than any faction since the Star League!
Khan of Clan Iron Elephant. We remember. And if you know who we are, we're going to have to make you disappear.
I'm a numbers guy. Please don't tempt me to do the math, I just might.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 29 January 2011, 08:57:34 »
Why not believe in 2xSRM-4, 2xSRM-6, and +4 HS?

My main objection to that is the lack of common ammo bins.  In addition, another two tons of armor seems apropos if you're going to be spending your battlefield time getting up in someone's grille.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 29 January 2011, 15:02:55 »
Agreed. With only missles you don't need the extra sinks that bad, but you do need the protection for your ammo.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 29 January 2011, 15:58:15 »
There's twelve tons of launchers in there.  Four SRM 4s leave room for four more heat sinks as well as additional armor.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 06 February 2011, 18:35:38 »
Personally, I lean toward removing the SRM 2s for a pair of medium lasers and two more tons of armor. 

This right here .  Exactly .

Adding 32 armor points to a mech that only carries 120 is a huge improvement .

Dumping 2 tons of ammo is even better .

If that's how the Derish was done in the first place then IMHO they would see
a LOT more table time.

As is I very rarely see a Dervish on the game table  and I've never seen one used
in a Battle Value balanced game .

The last time I saw one used at all was with inferno ammo under the BMR rules
back when you could light fires with the standard tournament level rules.
Without that ability the DV-6M is a dog that isn't worth it's cost .

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 06 February 2011, 19:02:15 »
I'll use one occasionally depending on what I'm trying to do.  But yeah, they cost a lot for what they deliver.  Those SRMs just aren't worth the annoyance for what they deliver.  Notably, my favorite Dervish is the DV-8D, where they finally stopped horsing around, stuffed four ERMLs on, and then used an XLFE to bump the missile and armor load up considerably.  The DV-9D isn't bad, either, although you need to make damn sure the CT is carrying LRMs and empty that bin quickly.  Tempting Murphy is not wise.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 07 February 2011, 05:43:24 »
I think it got a bad rap early on because it's trying to be a jack of all trades. Long range, short range, energy, crit-seeking, plus being fairly quick and jumpy for a 55 ton mech of that era.
All that was paid for with the least armor of any mech that size, which makes it too risky to use it's close-range weapons, thus taking away the versitility it's already paid so dearly for.

MLs and SRMs aren't a bad close range combo. The heat is reasonable, and the "poke holes then sandblast" tactic is widely acknowledged as a  being effective.

It's a decent mech once it's modded but I think people tend to shy away from a design that you needs mods from the get-go because it feels like cleaning up someone else's mess rather than customization. Plus the fact that in a lot of scenarios you have to start with the basic model and can't head into the shop for mods untill you're a few battles into the campaign.

Had the Dervish initially been made as a 4/6/4 or a 5/8/0 and devoted that tonnage to armor, it would probably have been one of the most commonly used designs. With the newer tech available, a mech can now sucessfully do what it failed to do in the beginning.
As it stands, it's a design that was either ahead of it's time, or that just tried to do too much.

I still love the crazy thing though. [rockon]

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 07 February 2011, 08:30:25 »
MLs and SRMs aren't a bad close range combo. The heat is reasonable, and the "poke holes then sandblast" tactic is widely acknowledged as a  being effective.

The problem is that SRM 2s tend to deliver a single hit most of the time, so at that point, I'm more inclined to just take another laser and deal with the heat.  Those quad SRM 4 models I suggested are intended to exploit this properly by throwing enough clusters down range to crit-seek effectively.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #45 on: 07 February 2011, 16:05:47 »
Yeah, I favor the 4 ML version + hands myself as well. 4 SRM4s will make most mechs cry if you're willing to sacrifice long range, but I'd probably put CASE on at least the torso mounted ones if it's available.
The lack of hands on the original always bugged me.