Author Topic: Tell me about the AKU-2XK  (Read 2081 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Tell me about the AKU-2XK
« on: 07 June 2018, 13:05:31 »
I just literally discovered that the Akuma -2XK exists and I'm so incredibly sad I didn't know about it until now (it also makes me incredibly paranoid about what else is hiding out there that I haven't discovered).

The setup of HPPC, x2 MML-9, RAC/5, x2 MPLs, ERML, ECM and only 11 DHS is delightfully Jihad-flavored and fits in with my thing for big, awkward skirmisher units like the Black Watch 9R and Albatross 3Ur.

Anybody ever used this thing? I know the RAC is a liability a lot of people dismiss, but I find liabilities to be charming and I enjoy few BT stories that start out "I was running my boringly reliable / predictably optimal force when..."

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Tell me about the AKU-2XK
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2018, 13:43:34 »
Is it based off the 3/5/3 or the 3/5 chassis?  And the bigger question, does it have CASE?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2018, 13:57:08 »
doesn't jump, has CASE (5T of ammo in LT, but an SFE)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2018, 14:02:23 »
Lol!  3rd time is the charm for CASE I guess!  So . . . modification off the non-jumping version, missiles do the right thing.  I will have to check it out in MM but it looks interesting and could be fun.  I need to see about a Akuma mini.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2018, 14:07:51 »
The original Akuma (3058) packed an ERPPC, MPlas, Streak-4, MedLas, MRM-30 LB-10X and a Streak-6.  3/5/0 movement, 17.5tons of standard armor, 13 double heat sinks, endo stl internals, and a 270 rates SFE. It's a brute at all ranges.  Closer you get, the more pain you experience!
If at first you don't succeed, make it worth the repairman's time!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2018, 14:34:35 »
Except . . . the Streaks are mismatched and it has huge torso bombs so without CASE you pick up scraps when it goes.  It was designed as the slightly smaller Atlas supplement.
Colt Ward

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2018, 14:48:58 »
And frankly it feels more like an Atlas than most modern Atlases nowadays. Good firepower at a range of ranges, max armor for a 95 tonner with no advanced engine to make it more vulnerable. The ammo bomb in the right torso is concerning, but not crippling, since CASE and good weapon locations on the remainder of its energy weapons will let you take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. I need a few of those for my DCMS unit stat.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2018, 16:15:26 »
Well, I hadn’t heard of it until this thread, but it sounds pretty nice.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2018, 15:36:05 »
It's hands down the best Akuma, and one of the best assaults available to the Combine period.

Chose your brackets carefully though, it's pretty damn easy to overheat.
I have spoken.

Spinosapper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2018, 23:49:14 »
I first became aware of it through Camospecs.  Psycho did some amazing modding and painting! 

http://camospecs.com/Miniature/Details/6239/akuma-aku-1x

"Whoever said, 'never shoot a man in the back' never saw the front of a Hunchback."