Author Topic: I HATE this time of year  (Read 3619 times)

dgorsman

• Captain
I HATE this time of year
« on: 09 September 2019, 20:00:48 »
So I'm sitting here, doing a little browsing, and there's a tickle at my neck.  No big deal, thinks I, just a loose hair, brush it away.  A minute later, it's back.  Guess I didn't get it first time so natural reaction: don't brush, this time pick.  Only this time it moves.  After leaping halfway across the room and a frantic strip tease, finally manage to shake out a beetle from the clothing pile.

Yep, it's that time of year again.  Not cold enough to kill the insects, but cool enough that they start taking shelter indoors.   :runaway:
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: I HATE this time of year
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2019, 20:31:52 »
Desu.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2019, 22:28:38 »
*Shudder*

Yes; I have a pet spider who has taken up residence. we shall see if it can live by my rules.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2019, 23:18:53 »
I saw a couple of house centipedes hanging out in my apartment last week.

I leave them alone.  It's my cat who kills whatever bugs get in here (and eats them).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2019, 00:47:13 »
We've got a hornets' nest in the roof. Not much of a problem, but every other day or so one manages to crawl into the house from under the roof panels.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2019, 14:05:12 »
We've got a hornets' nest in the roof. Not much of a problem, but every other day or so one manages to crawl into the house from under the roof panels.
This reminds me about an event some 20 years ago. I ran away from one persistent hornet or the like (I had blown and spit on it first) and took shelter in an old man's house (used to be mom's neighbor). Old man told me about having lived in an old, worn down house with many holes in the floor. Under floor was the nest of hornets (or the likes) who came up through the floor (holes, remember?). Holes were small enough so hornets didn't just outright fly through them but more like crawled through. So when a hornet was crawling out from a given hole, they had placed a vacuum cleaner on it and sucked the hornets inside. And that's all I can remember about it.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2019, 13:36:24 »
Flies are constantly making their way in.  With two little ones in the house, constantly holding open doors, it doesn't help.  Last night was epic though.  There were literally thousand of yellow jackets milling around my basswood tree.  Today I was going to do some work in the garage but the hornets are making it annoying enough to come inside.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2019, 13:21:23 »
Last night was epic though.  There were literally thousand of yellow jackets milling around my basswood tree.  Today I was going to do some work in the garage but the hornets are making it annoying enough to come inside.
Gosh, call to bug exterminator!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2019, 17:43:30 »
As my daughter would put it...
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2019, 08:23:50 »
Flies are constantly making their way in.  With two little ones in the house, constantly holding open doors, it doesn't help.  Last night was epic though.  There were literally thousand of yellow jackets milling around my basswood tree.  Today I was going to do some work in the garage but the hornets are making it annoying enough to come inside.

Makes me feel much better about my undying drain flies.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman