Author Topic: Clover Spear - The Story of the '56 War  (Read 144749 times)

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
Re: Clover Spear - The Story of the '56 War
« Reply #181 on: 11 April 2018, 09:47:35 »
“People often ask me, “Why did I leave it all behind?” Simple, Galen. He’s been a rock for me when I needed it during the worst of the war. And, after, when the normal pressures of life can get to be too much, he is there. I get to stand on my own and often go by just Katherine Cox, rather than on my parents, or my brother (The publisher was rather insistent on the full name for the book, not even my brother nor my husband could sway him). Not to say they haven’t been helpful, but I gotta be honest, it’s fun being a philanthropist, author, and mom. Well, except for the deadlines. They still suck, but not as bad as the war. Nothing was as bad as that. Thank god for Galen, and yes, Omi. I owe my life and continued sanity to those two.”

It's Not All Fairy Tales – The Life and Times of a Cracked Princess, by Katherine Cox-Steiner Davion, Tharkad Press, Tharkad, 3084

Acting Archon-Princess’s Private Quarters
New Avalon
Federated Commonwealth
October 30th, 3056

At least we have a date for the funeral. Now if the bureaucrats would just make it happen instead of worrying about my signature on permit applications for the Heavy Guards to march down Davion Avenue in the procession. It’s not the first group of battlemechs to do that! The things those idiots concern themselves with. We’re at war on two fronts, our people are scared and feeling the pinch of wartime rationing, and they want to make sure the forms are in triplicate. Ugh! Mom, Dad? How in the hell did you guys deal with this?

Katherine Morgan Steiner-Davion had had better days. She’d taken to dressing casual around the palace. Contrary to her “media darling” personality with her being seen wearing the finest labels in the Commonwealth, she really did like being more of a “jeans and t-shirt gal”. It was also easier to curl up in after a bad day. And god knows, I had plenty of those growing up. I know you and Mom tried, Dad. I am just scared, what I am doing, what I MUST do, it’s going to bring those feelings back. Make me into another Claudius. I cannot let that happen. For the good of our people, I must not.

It was then her reverie was interrupted by a knock at the door. “Your Highness, Kommandant Cox is here to see you.” Galen, here? At a time like this, and I am a mess, hair not done, the bags under my eyes have bags for heaven’s sake. And I am wearing a ratty old t-shirt and jeans that make me look like a college student. Then again, I am not THAT far out of college. Ah, what the hell, if he doesn’t run, it will be a good test to see how he really feels?

“Send him in, Hauptmann, and do not disturb us.”

“Yes, your Highness.”

The door opened, and Galen entered, he was resplendent in a AFFC dress uniform, that was only marred by his right arm in a sling. The uniform itself was immaculate, the shine of the brass practically blinded an onlooker and the boots, well one could see their reflection in his boots. And Katherine could detect a whiff of Old Spice Tharkad in the air. Galen, really? Old Spice? You don’t have a lot of experience with women, do you? To round out the picture, he had a bouquet in his good hand of blue Mycosia flowers. Perhaps my initial assessment was a bit hasty, Galen, you asked my brother about me. Extra points there. Katherine could not help but smile, it was a crooked one, but it was full of mirth nonetheless.

Galen exhaled, and smiled “Um, hi..I was in the neighborhood you see, and these flowers, well they just..”

Katherine barked a laugh “Um, Galen. I already like, like you. Drop the pretense, okay? I mean look at me? I’m hideous. If the scandalsheets saw me now?”

“Then you’re lucky. If I can get away with decking the heir to the throne, then what’s a few paparazzi?”

“Other than we’re supposedly a civilized nation, not the Clans and you can’t do that when the whim strikes you, Galen” Katherine smiled. As much as I love my big brother, I would have loved to have been on Trellwan for that. Victor can stand to learn not to be ready to be such a damn martyr. What the hell was he thinking, staying behind? I never did talk about that with him..when he wakes up..if he wakes up. Katherine frowned at the thought, then sat down on a nearby setee with a loud thump.

Galen grabbed a nearby chair and sat near her. “Katherine, what’s wrong?”

Katherine exhaled “I am a fraud, Galen. A damned fraud. I’m crazy, certifiable. Diagnosed with Dombrowski A Depressive Disorder, a textbook case and a well known scourge of the Steiner line. And I am holding it together by wanting to be more than a shell-shocked little girl whose father and mother were willing to do anything to help me. Even if it hurt like hell. It hurt my Dad the worst, Galen. I remember after one bad seizure when I was 13, they didn’t think I would come out of it. I did..but it was ugly. Dad was distraught. He bawled like a baby, then punched a hole in the wall right over there.” Katherine chuckled, as she pointed at a point on the far wall, which Galen noticed was a slightly different shade of paint from the rest of the wall “Broke his hand, as it turns out he hit a wall stud. Oh, Galen, you can do better than me.”

Galen shook his head. “Katherine, stop. Just stop, OK? You are making the decisions that need to be made. You are doing a good job thus far. Victor would be proud of you. And, I knew about the Dombrowski A. Victor confided in me on Trellwan. You know, he thinks you’re smarter than he is. Always wanted to keep you on as an adviser on political matters. He also knew you didn’t want the throne.”

Katherine’s mouth dropped. “How did…he know? I never said that to anyone. I was afraid...”

“Of what folks might think?” Galen interjected. “Screw ‘em. Katherine. I like you because of you. All of you, yes, even the depression. Not many folks know this. I had a kid sister, she was depressed too, made it a project of mine to get one smile a day out of her. I would like to think I succeeded more times than I failed. But it didn’t matter in the end, she died along with my parents when Kurita destroyed our farm.”

“What was her name, Galen?”

“Chloe. Her name was Chloe. She was 9. And yeah, her, and my parents are the reason I joined the AFFC. To get even with the bastards who did it. But as I discovered? We wind up doing a lot of the same things when we raid Combine and Capellan border worlds. Not out of malice, nope, just a lot of poor, innocent folks being in the wrong place, at the wrong time. It’s not nice, and it’s not right, but it happens. Nobody set out to kill them, but they’re dead nonetheless. And that’s what is eating at you. All those Capellan and Blakist terror attacks, no?”

“Yes, I know, I did the right thing. I set the right message. But I am ordering the deaths of people I have never met, only know from some briefing, or a list in my father’s mapcase. I should feel something, remorse, pity, something...”

“But you don’t feel anything?”

“No, I do. It’s rage. Rage that that bastard on Sian killed six thousand innocent people to get to my parents. Rage that he’s killing more of those innocents to prosecute a war he really cannot win. Rage I can’t stop the damn killing no matter what I do? Rage I am nothing but a fraud under it all, afraid every day I am going to make a bad call.”

Galen laughed. “Welcome to being the one in charge. All those feelings are normal. And as for the son of a bitch of Sian, He will get his.
Anything we do to him personally or those in his inner circle is justified. Do you think he gave one whit about the what, 10,000 plus innocents he’s already killed in terrorist attacks throughout the Capellan and Sarna Marches? Nope. I doubt it. And from what I read? Inner Sphere’s a better place without Kali Liao in it. Here we were, saving their ungrateful asses from the Clans, and he’s still upset over the 4th War. Putz. I suspect you and he might have worked out a diplomatic deal, if we could have trusted him to stick to the bargain. Too late for that now.”

“You think the Blakists maneuvered him into this?”

“Possible, Katherine, but does it matter? It takes two to tango, and he took up his role without a damn bit of hesitation.”

Katherine nodded, “So, do I ride the tiger too?”

“No Katherine, you bury your parents, bind your brother’s wounds, and as the media’s saying, be the ‘avenging child’ we need you to be.”

“It’s not really me you know?”

“Then make you a deal, your highness.” Galen smiled “What do you say we agree whatever happens, however this all turns out, we promise one thing: To be real and honest with each other.”

Katherine nodded. “I’d like that Galen. Frankly, it’s the most..attractive thing anyone has ever said to me.”
Galen turned red and coughed. “Um..”

“It’s a bit early for that, but just to let you know Galen Cox, you owe me a date when this is all over. And yes, I like you very much too.”
There was another knock at the door. “Your highness, I’m sorry, but there is an urgent message here from the Foreign Ministry. It’s being delivered by courier.”

Katherine went to the door and opened it, there stood her usual plain clothed detail, a courtier in court dress who had been the voice at the door, and a dapper courier with a metal briefcase. “Your Highness, this is your eyes only, I was told. I must ask that you clear the room of all but security personnel.” said the man with the briefcase.

“Kommandant Cox stays on my express order.”

“I understand. But I will have to log it.”

“Do what you must, Agent-“

“Curatis, mam, Curatis”

Curatis entered the room and placed the metal briefcase on a nearby table. He then placed his hand on a palm lock attached to the briefcase, and said aloud “Curatis 4552, priority message delivery for Acting Archon Princess 1102 Zulu, 102156.”

The briefcase snapped open without further comment, and inside was two sheets of paper, which Curatis handed to Katherine without ceremony.

Katherine skimmed them both, the first, had Katherine smiling, the second..her face drained of color. She handed them to Galen.

“Jesus, is this confirmed?” Galen inquired of Curatis.

“I can’t answer that, Kommandant Cox.” Curatis stated neutrally.

“Answer the man, Curatis.”

“Yes sir, both are as of a week ago.”

“Jesus H. Almighty Christ. Well this is a whole new ball game.”

FLASH FLASH FLASH
TO: NCA NEW AVALON
TIMESTAMP: 1015560945Z

OMI KURITA IDENTIFIED ARRIVING TODAY ABOARD DCS WANAKAZE FROM LUTHIEN. IMMEDIATELY PROCEEDED TO PLANETARY NOBLE’S OFFICE WHERE SHE HAS ASKED FOR POLTICAL ASYLUM AND SAFE PASSAGE TO NEW AVALON. SHE HAS BEEN INFORMED AS TO THE CONDITION OF DURAN. RPT SHE HAS REQUESTED POLITICAL ASYLUM.

DURING HER DEBRIEF BY MIIO, OMI KURITA STATED THAT LUTHIEN WAS FALLING TO CLAN SMOKE JAGUAR AND THAT BLACK DRAGON SOCIETY HAS LAUNCHED A COUP AGAINST SURVIVING ELEMENTS OF THE KURITA FAMILY THAT MADE IT TO NEW SAMARKLAND. NEW COORDINATOR IS REPORTEDLY FRANKLIN SAKAMOTO, A ILLEGITIMATE SON OF THEODORE KURITA.
WILL CONTINUE TO OBSERVE AND REPORT.

FLASH FLASH FLASH

FLASH FLASH FLASH

TO: NCA NEW AVALON
TIMESTAMP: 1020560415Z

THERE HAS BEEN A COUP ON ATREUS AGAINST THOMAS MARIK. HE HAS BEEN CONFIRMED DEPOSED. FATE OF OTHER MEMBERS OF HIS FAMILY UNKNOWN. CORRINE MARIK IS NOW THE NEW CAPTAIN-GENERAL. FIGHTING ON ATREUS REPORTEDLY HEAVY, UKNOWN AS TO UNITS INVOLVED. RUMORS OF WORD OF BLAKE INVOLVEMENT ARE RIFE AT THIS TIME

WILL CONTINUE TO OBSERVE AND REPORT. ARE SUSPENDING ACTIONS AGAINST TARGET LIST AT THIS TIME TO PRESERVE OUR REMAINING ASSETS TO OBSERVE THE COUP.

FLASH FLASH FLASH
« Last Edit: 25 April 2018, 12:54:04 by panzerfaust150 »
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #183 on: 11 April 2018, 10:52:33 »
Never a dull day in the Inner Sphere...
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

PeacMaker03

• Corporal
« Reply #184 on: 11 April 2018, 13:16:38 »
Loving the storyline. I do see an early end to the Word if this keeps up. The question is how well they come out in FWL?
  What is the butterfly effect on the Word taking earth from ComStar? Increase chance or toss a wrench in the plan?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #185 on: 11 April 2018, 13:39:52 »
So House Kurita is falling to Clan Smoke Jaguar with Luthien falling because Hanse not here to send Kell Hounds and Wolf's Dragoons??  And the Black Dragoon have jumped early on them.  So what is Omi and Victor relationship in this AU?

FWL having another Coup??  WOB involved now I'm interested in why they Turned Against "Thomas".

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #186 on: 11 April 2018, 14:25:24 »
All will be revealed..all will be revealed.
FedCom Fan!

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #187 on: 11 April 2018, 17:23:26 »
sweet, hope this means vic and omni get together officially, maby even absorbe the remains of the DC : / ?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #188 on: 11 April 2018, 18:37:12 »
Well Victor needs to wake up for that to happen
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #189 on: 11 April 2018, 20:29:33 »
Well Victor needs to wake up for that to happen

he will, the beginning quots of the last chapter allude to it rather heavily.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #190 on: 11 April 2018, 21:22:18 »
Now, clearly something in this AU changed in the Smoke Jaguars (who in cannon, lacked the very ability to wage intensive warfare)... and the WoB offed Thomas Halas? hmm...

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #191 on: 23 April 2018, 15:37:45 »
Wolf Clan Council Chambers
Tamar
Wolf Clan Occupation Zone
November 3rd, 3056

“I remember thinking during that Grand Council meeting that the Khans were shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic, that what the Fedcom had done was really so far out of their experience or understanding that the meeting was a waste of time. What would I have said? Von Rundstedt’s advice to the German General Staff after the Normandy invasion seemed appropriate. But the Clans weren’t those kinds of animals, they were warriors, it’s all they knew. They really did flounder when they began to realize that they weren’t as good at war as they thought they were.”

-   Excerpt from the unpublished memoirs of Khan Phelan Kell-Ward, First saKhan and later 3rd Khan of the Wolf Dominion, released by his estate in 3091.

Phelan Kell warily stood for the invocation by the loremaster at the beginning of the Clan Council meeting, this meeting was being held digitally, as the Khans were scattered all over the place, what with the confusion the FC offensive and the Jaguar strike into the Combine had caused. Wait till Natasha announces what we’re doing to this bunch. He sat without another word, preparing to take in what was probably going to be the liveliest Grand Council meeting he had attended in a long time.

“You are recognized, Asa Taney of Clan Ice Hellion. On what matter do you address this conclave?”

Taney rose at a stately pace, his ceremonial garb resplendent as he removed his mask, and placed it on the table in front of him, his white fur and leathers almost washing out his face on the screen. “I address our gathered Khans, Loremaster, on a day of import, a day where the Clans find themselves having lost their way towards the true light and goal of our invasion. Terra itself. Instead, we have allowed the corruption of the Inner Sphere, and their ways to taint our purity of thought, and our martial glory. And several Clans have shown themselves to be unworthy, too weak to carry on the mission of the Great Father.” As Taney finished, his gaze settled right onto Khan Elias Crichell of Clan Jade Falcon.

“I therefore, Loremaster, call for a vote to absorb Clan Jade Falcon.” Taney crossed his arms, a satisfied smirk crossing his lips. The uproar of dozens of shouts filled the chamber, Kael Pershaw frantically banging his gavel to restore order.

Crichell shot to his feet, not even waiting to be recognized. “And you and your pack of honorless surats would of course, join the bidding like the jackals they are?”

Taney laughed “Come now, Khan Crichell, the wings of the Falcon have well and truly been clipped, and it must give way to younger, more vibrant clans ready to carry forward the true word of the Great Father.”

Crichell laughed. “Taney, you and your pack of fools couldn’t lead a sibko to the latrine, let alone take us. Hold your vote, you will lose, and even if you do win, you will find our talons sharp and our eyes clear.”

Taney smiled, “I am sure the Federated Commonwealth is so very intimidated by your clan right now, didn’t they take Chistu alive on Sudeten a few weeks ago? Paraded him in front of the holocams for the entertainment of the savashiri dogs.”

Crichell’s face turned red. “I will see you in a Circle of Equals, and kill you, Taney.”

“You’ll try, old man.” Taney barked a contemptuous laugh.

“Sit down, both of you. I am the Loremaster here,” barked Kael Pershaw. His cyborg body creaked as he shifted position in front of the dais. “We have a motion in front of the council to absorb Clan Jade Falcon. What say you, my assembled Khans?”

“A question, for the Khan of Clan Jade Falcon, if I may?” the questioner was Ariel Suvarov, Khan of Clan Golaith Scorpion. “Your position of saKhan lies empty, and you have lost at least a galaxy of frontline troops, as well as your occupation zone capital, what does the Falcon plan to do to bind its wounds and show its strength to all of us?” her voice was slightly contralto, and rang out clearly above the low level of murmured conversation amongst the assembled Khans.

“Order, I will have order, my Khans. Or I will censure you all!” Kael Pershaw was in a rare mood, and it was not improved by the fact that it was HIS clan that was the target of an absorption vote.

Crichell nodded and smiled at Suvarov. Well played, Suvarov. See where the smart money lies early. Phelan mused.

“Khan Golaith Scorpion, I appreciate your question, and I will answer it. The Clan is regrouping even now for a counterattack against worlds in the Commonwealth’s rear. We will force them to turn to deal with us, and then we will retake our worlds and beat them like the stravag dogs that they are. As for the issue of a saKhan, we are currently holding trials for the position, and I will be able to report a new candidate by tomorrow. As for our losses, we will make them good, once we have seen off the sphereoids, and we will remind those-“looking at Taney as he said it “-that the Falcon soars over it’s foes on the winds of glory, not feeds like a carrion animal on the glory of others.”

Suvarov nodded and sat and reached for her noteputer.

Khan Malavai Fletcher pressed his call button and got the attention of the Loremaster. “Loremaster, I move that this be a roll call vote? Clan Jade Falcon is one of the two largest Clans amongst us, and I do think whatever happens, that all Khans assembled here be ready to stand by their votes.”

Kael Pershaw nodded “The vote will be by roll call, I will call the name of each clan, and the Khan of that clan will rise and announce their vote.”

“Blood Spirit?”

Khan Karianaa Schimdt rose slowly, removed her mask and stated loudly “The Blood Spirits vote Neg to this ridiculous motion. The Falcon will teach all of her enemies the lesson of humility…and soon.”

“Burrock”

Khan Anton Hutchinson rose, and shouted “We vote Yay, the Falcons have made unclanlike fools of themselves in the Inner Sphere, and it would beehove us to give their resources to a clan more deserving!”

And so, the voting went. Clans Cloud Cobra, Coyote, Nova Cat, Snow Raven, and Ice Hellion voted for absorption The Blood Spirits, Fire Mandrills, Goliath Scorpions, Hell’s Horses, Jade Falcons, Steel Vipers, Diamond Sharks, Ghost Bears, Star Adders, and Smoke Jaguars all voted against the motion.

When the Wolf turn came to vote, Natasha Kerensky rose and faced the screen, true to her nature, she had forgone formal council wear in favor for a pair of green coveralls, and a leather jacket. It was a direct slap at the council at a whole, but one they knew they could do little about. “Sorry boys and girls, we’re going to mind our own knitting on this one. Clan Wolf abstains.”

Pershaw banged his gavel. “The vote stands at 6 yays, 10 nays, and 1 abstention, the motion is defeated, unless, Khan Taney, you wish to demand a trial of refusal?” Pershaw smiled at Taney, his eyes were black coals, and his smile was colder than anything Taney had ever felt in his life.

“Neg, Loremaster, Clan Ice Hellion will not contest the results of the vote.”

Khan Lincoln Osis cracked his knuckles and rose "I would encourage any of those seeking to gain glory by absorbing an invading clan, not to look in the direction of Clan Smoke Jaguar. We have gained much glory in crushing the Dragon of the Draconis Combine in it's lair! I held Theodore Kurita's severed head in my own hands! Seyla Trothkin!"

Natasha chuckled and punched a few notes into her noteputer, it appeared as an instant message on Phelan's with a soft chime. The screen read: He left out the part that it took the entirety of Alpha, Beta, and Delta Galaxies' strength, massive orbital fire support in violation of every honor code that we have, and of the fourteen clusters that made planetfall, only five are even remotely close to combat capable weeks later. At least he 'only' lost a third of his Warship strength that he brought with the nearest dockyard for the cripples all the way back over Lum in the talons of the Snow Ravens.

Oh, and that glorious prize of Luthien, oh, I mean DeChavilier, as the Singed Kitties have renamed it? That poisoned and radioactive chalice is riddled with resistance cells who are still killing the warriors who are occupying his 'great prize' as he sifts through the ashes. Great Father save us from 'victories' such as these!"

Phelan typed back: Lincoln Osis was never a deep thinker, even by Elemental standards.

“Any other business?” Pershaw then inquired of the rest of the body.

Two khans rose with unseemly haste, one was Khan Amanda Carrol of Clan Fire Mandrill, and the other was Khan Lynn McKenna of Clan Snow Raven. They said in near unison “We move for the absorption of Clan Steel Viper!”

The hall descended into sheer chaos. It took Pershaw 15 minutes of furious gaveling to restore order in the hall. Perhaps we need a new loremaster, quiaff? Phelan mused.

“Another absorption vote? So be it, we might as well end this foolishness as well. The vote shall be by roll call.”

Phelan looked on half bored as the roll was taken once again.

This time, the vote was closer, with the Burrocks, Cloud Cobras, Fire Mandrills, Golaith Scorpions, Hells Horses, Nova Cats, Snow Ravens, Coyotes, and Ice Hellions all voting yes. The Blood Spirits, Jade Falcons, Steel Vipers, Star Adders, and Smoke Jaguars voted no, with the Sharks, Bears, and of course, the Wolves abstaining.

“The vote stands at 9 yays, 5 nays and 3 abstentions. The motion has carried. I will now entertain bids to decide who shall absorb Clan Steel Viper.”

Khan Perigard Zalman rose at a start, throwing his chair back and tearing off his helmet and cape. His face was a mask of anger. “I demand a trial of refusal. And I demand it NOW! I will face any one of you in a circle of equals. If you cannot defeat me, the life of my Clan, then you do not deserve to absorb us!”

Before the loremaster could speak, Khan Fletcher of the Horses spoke. “I shall dispose of this obstacle, and prove we are worthy to absorb the Vipers. I shall make your death quick, Zalman.” Fletchers muscles bulged as he flexed them in anticipation of the fight to come. He was of Elemental stock, and savored chances to fight hand to hand, as he had a distinct advantage there.

Shit, this is going to get ugly. Phelan’s mind idly observed.

An orderly of Kael Pershaw’s drew a circle with a marker on the floor of the great hall. Kael Pershaw hobbled forward, “In this solemn trial, let no one interfere. The fight will either be to the death, or when one is forced from the circle! Seyla!”

The hall responded with “Seyla!”

The two combatants removed their accoutrements and stepped into the circle half naked, both wearing only a pair of shorts. Zalman was at least a meter shorter than his opponent, and a ‘Mechwarrior. The look on his face suggested that he had not counted on this development. You really need to look before you leap, Zalman. Phelan grinned, no matter who lost today, the Wardens won, as a prominent Crusader was going to die. Nominally, the Steel Vipers say they are Wardens, but their actions suggest otherwise. Perhaps this will wake them up.

Fletcher swung first, Zalman moved out of the way easily, dodging under his fist and jabbing hard at Fletcher’s ribs. Fletcher smiled as Zalman’s punch connected and did little more than merit a swift kick to Zalman’s groin that sent him sprawling. Zalman however, got up quicker than Phelan had expected from an injury like that, put his fist inside his other and lept towards Fletcher, his elbow jutting out as he swung it for Fletcher’s face, Fletcher tried to get it out of the way, but the elbow connected with Fletcher’s jaw, which gave with an audible, sickening SNAP! Fletcher dropped like a sack of potatoes, Zalman following it up with a swift kick to Fletcher’s throat, which was rewarded with another snap, as Fletcher’s hands rose to his throat as he began to turn blue, and gasp for air, his legs and arms flailing as he willed himself to breathe. But air never came to Malavai Fletcher, and he expired painfully on the floor within minutes.

Zalman raised his hands “My Khans, the vote is invalidated. And I have killed a Khan. Please let it be a lesson to the rest of you that our Clan is not ready, nor willing to be absorbed.”

He then left the Circle, flanked by his saKhan and his aides, leaving a confused Grand Council in his wake.

Pershaw’s jaw had dropped. He didn’t seem to expect that Zalman had seriously thought about killing Fletcher, but he had, and he had done so in honorable combat no less. But he had done so in the very hall of the Clans! “Ahem” he cleared his throat “Do we have any other business, my Khans?”

Natasha Kerensky rose again to face the screen, Phelan rose with her..Here it comes.

“Khan Crichell. I apologize for the unconventional nature of this batchall, but you’ve been busy, and this saves time…Natasha produced a noteputer, and projected a map of the current Falcon OZ, then highlighted six worlds. “So, tell me, Khan Crichell, what do you bid for these worlds?”

The council collapsed into complete pandemonium.

Star Adder Enclave
Strana Mechty
Clan Homeworlds
November 3rd, 3056

“Dante, you observed the Grand Council meeting today, your impressions?”  Cassisu N’Buta, Khan of Clan Star Adder observed his saKhan. They were discussing as they often did, their impressions of the General Council meeting, as both men felt it improved communication and was useful to gather their wits. The small room they used once was the office of Clan Star Adder’s founder, Absalom Truscott, and had not been used by anyone in the Clan after his death, but N’Buta found it useful as a place where he and his saKhan, Dante Truscott, could talk without intra-Clan politics getting in the way. Many in my Clan wish to pick up where the Falcons left off in the Inner Sphere, they lack understanding or clarity as to what is going on. The spheroids have remembered, soldiers tend to beat warriors. And they are demonstrating it with an admirable sense of ruthlessness. N’Buta smiled at that last thought. I must meet the architect of this plan, it was simple, ruthless, and played well to all our weaknesses.

“My Khan, I cannot believe I am saying this, but the behavior in the Hall today was at times, very unclanlike. And furthermore? I worry that politics is weakening us unnecessarily.“

“You are correct Dante, and a very astute observation. It was an easy one to make, but astute nonetheless. Dante, what if I were to tell you that I think that Clan society is headed for a fall, and that soon, institutions like the Council will be as useless as a horse and buggy?”

Truscott turned white. “My Khan, such thoughts are contrary to the path of the Honor Road!”

N’Buta waved away his concerns. “The Honor Road, while an admirable pursuit, Truscott, is leading us down a destructive path. We have always been a clan of pragmatists. And we need to be one now. Clan Jade Falcon's and Steel Viper's times are at an end. But the council will protect them both because the current structure of the council cannot imagine life without either of those Clans, or admitting that the Inner Sphere might beat us, quiaff?”

Truscott replied “Aff, my Khan. But what are we to do, and remain a Clan? I mean, if we adopt these new methods the Federated Commonwealth has demonstrated on the battlefield, we lose ourselves. They win anyway.”

“Aff Truscott, they do. So, we must adapt in our own way, and we must do it quickly. And we must be prepared to act with, or without those fools on the Grand Council approving of what we do.”

« Last Edit: 25 May 2018, 07:56:24 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #192 on: 26 April 2018, 12:11:56 »
AN: The next three chapters are a Omake done by Yellowhammer of Spacebattles. He wanted to write about the fate of Omi Kurita. How in the world could I say no? I now present "The Flight of Omi Kurita"

Imperial City

Luthien

October 7th, 3056, 1100 Hours

Omiko Kurita knelt before her low writing desk and concentrated on the blank white sheet of mulberry paper in front of her as she breathed in and out to center herself. With slow, formal motions she tied the sleeve of her kimono back as her breathing fell into a steady pace. The embroidery of lotus flowers along the hem drew a secret smile for an instant at the multiple meanings of the flower that never reached her face then was gone for an instant as she picked up her inkstick and ground a small quantity of ink into the stone.

Finally one with what she meant to write, her brush dipped into the ink and glided across the paper. The polite cough of her door guard did not register until she lowered the brush to reveal a hand drawn cherry blossom next to her signature.

"Kurita-sama, there is a summons from the Dragon. It is of some urgency."

Omi stood and untied her sleeve, letting it hang free.. "So ka." Questions raced behind her calm face, yet she let nothing show as she carefully folded the drawing and then walked to the door.

Outside a familiar Afro-Asian woman waited in the black uniform of the Otomo, adorned only with the blue katakana of her rank and the Dragon set upon a gold shield showing her status as a bodyguard. She bowed to Omi, who in turn bowed slightly less in acknowledgement. "As summoned, so I obey the Dragon's will, Tai-i Tetsuhara."

Tetsuhara nodded once, and gestured. "Follow me, Kurita-sama"

Omi's heart skipped a beat as instead of heading to the parts of the palace where the Pillars of Ivory, Gold, Jade, or Teak held sway, instead she approached the security checkpoint for the command center. The Pillar of Steel, the heart of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery.

After submitting to fingerprints and retina scan along with a search of her person for weapons and transmitters, the armored door opened for her and she entered at Tetsuhara's gesture. Inside, the atmosphere was visibly tense.

The room was dominated by a large holotank in the center currently showing Luthien's star system from a point centered on the planet. Most of the icons burned different shades of warm crimson with arcane codes that Omi only vaguely understood from speaking to her father, mother, and brothers rather than formal training. However, one set of icons appeared as white arrows pointing toward the planet from a pirate point as if a shinigami had fired a volley of them at a target fated to die.

At the far end of the room her father stood in consultation with several other officers, dominating the room with his presence despite his unadorned uniform. Unlike the other officers visibly showing tension in their posture and faces, Theodore was instead radiating quiet confidence, but his eyes were unreadable. The conversation ended and he gestured for Omi to approach.

"Coordinator Kurita-dono. Your servant awaits the will of the Coordinator." Her voice was controlled but she felt as if it was someone else speaking in her place.

She bowed low before her father-no the Dragon-as the room stilled then Theodore's lips quirked in the ghost of a smile as he spoke confidently. "Keeper of the House Honor. It seems that the Jaguars in their arrogance seek to face the Dragon's Claws once more. How kind of them to send him their pelts to keep us warm this winter! We shall prepare a warm reception for such unexpected and generous guests, my samurai. Walk with me for a moment."

Omi nodded, unwilling to risk her voice betraying her as her father escorted her to a writing desk prepared for him. For a moment he contemplated the blank white paper and then his brush moved across the paper with a fluidity and sureness at odds with his normally 'adequate' calligraphy. Omi's eyes burned with unshed tears as she read the characters of the poem he wrote as they took shape before her. "I leap from the depths/Of duty into the skies:/Autumn of the Dragon." A death haiku..the image of the Dragon at the end of its life ascending to the skies in a great pillar of clouds and rain...oh Father.

As Theodore finished and signed the poem with both his name and the circle representing enlightenment, a low stir ran through the room and conversation resumed. He leaned close to Omi and spoke quietly. "Our duty is clear, Omi-chan. See your brother, for time is short for us all."

She bowed her head and whispered back. "Hai, Otousan. I shall make you proud."

"You always did, Omi-chan. You always did."

With that he stood and walked back to speak to his staff. Omi watched him go then carefully folded the paper inscribed with her father's death poem before walking to her brother. She could see the pain in his eyes mirroring what she felt in her heart as she bowed her head. "Brother. The situation is that dire?"

He swallowed once, then handed over his own poem. "The Jaguars are coming with a force equal to last time. We shall fight them with our strength, but even the mightiest warrior will have trouble with many." His eyes searched hers as she nodded sadly.

"I understand. I shall take the Lady Fiona with me as a chaperone on my travels, it is not proper for one such as I to travel unescorted."

Hohiro nodded, some tension leaving him at the mention of the noblewoman that he had fallen in love with. "Indeed, Chu-sa Yodama awaits at the spaceport with your ship. Tell...he who you go to meet. Tell him that...." Hohiro's voice trailed off as he struggled for words.

Omi smiled wistfully. "He knows that you shall be present in spirit. Perhaps I shall get married in spring under the cherry blossoms, neh?" With that she handed him her own drawing of a cherry blossom. Hohiro took it and nodded sharply before the siblings exchanged bows of farewell.

"Sayonara."

Imperial City

Luthien

October 7th, 3056, 1214 Hours

For a house that will endure
one thousand years carve its beams from honor.

Haiku by Coordinator Siriwan McAllister-Kurita 2579

Omi walked through the halls of the Imperial Palace with a purposeful gait, her steely-blue eyes narrowed slightly in an expression that she had learned from her father's example. Rounding the corner, she came to an ornately carved teak door decorated with the Dragon insignia of House Kurita and guarded by a trio of Pillarine monks in their hooded brown robes. The clack of wood on wood sounded as two of the monks crossed their staves to halt her passage.

She halted, locking her eyes with the eyes of the third under the black armorplast visor that the monks wore to cover their faces. For long moments the corridor was silent, the four of them standing like statues before the monk bowed formally and the others returned to their guard position.

"Guard me on the path that I must walk now, Adept Gozen." Omi commanded in a very controlled voice. "Let no one enter the Sanctum until I am finished here."

The whisper of ballistic polymer fabric was her answer as the silent sentinels bowed in obedience to the command of the Keeper of House Honor and head of the Order of the Five Pillars. The door opened soundlessly, then closed behind Omi and Gozen as they entered the Sanctum Arcanum.

Inside the air was thick with incense and tradition. The room was dimly lit by indirect lighting from hanging braziers, each one shaped in the form of the Dragon wrapped around a pearl. Fragrant smoke issued from the nostrils and mouths of the symbols of the Combine as Omi walked beneath them then halted at the foot of a low platform that reached her knees and was covered by a Persian-style Azami carpet showing an ornate Oriental dragon . To either side of her knelt two more Pillarine monks on their heels in positions of deep meditation and guard. However Omi's focus was not on them, but what lay ahead.

The platform was dominated by a circle of five massive ivory pillars mounted in masterwork gold bases and capitals. Omi's eyes flickered first to the leftmost one from her perspective, a column as clear as glass from a hippopotamus on Thimphu. She knew that if struck with steel it would give off sparks, so hard and rigid it was. So too, was the honor codes that bound her in this endeavor.

The one behind it was a stark contrast, mottled brown, rough and unfinished...one of a pair of elephant tusks from distant Terra from a kill that Urizen Kurita I had made on humanity's home world in the days of the Star league. Just like the Combine's citizens, it was waiting the hand of a sculptor to guide it to a finished state.

Omi's eyes then flicked to the near one on the right. The matching tusk to the unfinished one, it had been carved into a pillar supporting the roof, both strong and flexible, it showed her that the code could adapt and change to handle circumstances like those that she-and the Combine-were faced with. Behind it was a vivid turquoise blue column formed from the ivory of a woolly mammoth from distant Terra which had leeched metallic salts into the ivory from it's resting place in humanity's home world to give such a striking color.

Finally the last column was a spiraling Asian dragon rising to the ceiling carved from the horn of the extinct Giant Narwhal of Labrea. None of those were the focus of Omi's attention, however.

That was the simple black lacquered sword stand resting in the exact center of the room. The katana there was ancient, with chips taken out of the blade from the clash of steel and the etching that the salt of blood had scored into the patterned steel forged by the hands of a master on her family's ancestral home of New Samarkand. Omi reverently approached the sword, then knelt with a whisper of fabric from her robes, prostrating her head onto the carpet before the sword carried by Shiro Kurita.

The First Egg. The Founder of House Kurita. The First Coordinator. Her Ancestor. The warlord who with cunning, blood, and steel had unified his planet, then raised his Dragon banner across the stars. The example that all the Sons and Daughters of the Dragon strove to model themselves after.

The immortal whose sword, whose soul, was now threatened by the barbarians storming the Black Pearl of the Combine. Omi clapped once to summon his spirit as she sank back from her prostration to rest her weight on her heels and knees. Beneath her the dragon on the tapestry writhed in the lighting as she drew breath.

Her reverent whisper filled the echoing silence of the room. "Kurita Shiro-dono, your child brings news. The Jaguars attack us now, and the Coordinator in his wisdom has decreed that even if Luthien falls, our Honor shall yet remain untainted by their unworthy hands. He has entrusted me to carry you to my brother Minoru Kurita so that your spirit may guide him as he rallies our forces from the Galedon District...if such is necessary in these evil times."

Silence filled the room after Omi's words, then the whispered hiss of oiled steel on bamboo ending in a click as the tsuba hand guard met the mouth of the scabbard. Another whisper of silk as the sheathed sword was placed in a black silk bag hand-embroidered with five dragons writhing around each other. Ivory white, steel-gray, jade green, teak-brown, and thread of gold flashed as they all chased each other endlessly to represent the Five Pillars of the Combine: Religion, Military, Economy, Culture, and Government.

The first part of her duty done, Omi turned and walked from the Sanctum Arcanum with a slow, dignified stride ahead of the monk guarding her. The other Pillarine monks prostrated themselves as she passed them, her spine straight and face calm and reverent, reflecting none of her thoughts at the duty assigned to her by the Coordinator, no, her doomed father.

After all, she was Kurita, as he was. For both of them, duty was heavier than mountains.

Dropship DCA Shigure

Outbound to Luthien V L1 Pirate Point

Luthien

October 11th, 3056

To all appearances, the Shigure was nothing special. A humble Mule, she and thousands of her sisters could be seen transporting cargo and passengers along the space lanes of the inner Sphere. Perhaps a little more battered and worn than most, she was also proof of the saying that appearances were deceiving.

Behind a false bulkhead in the #1 Fuel Tank, a hidden compartment contained the best ELINT gear that the Combine could manufacture, buy, or steal. Likewise, her transponder had been subtly altered to broadcast a variety of different identities upon request. FSS Wildfire, LCS Niederbayern, CCS Tan Yang, and a double dozen more were identities that she had carried across the Inner Sphere for her actual masters in the ISF. While her stock in trade had been to be the all-seeing eye of the Combine, listening and watching for scraps of information, she had over the decades also engaged in other actions. Delivery and pickup of agents and even DEST commando teams were not uncommon, along with smuggling proscribed items of technology to serve the Dragon.

Now she served the needs of the Dragon once more as the transport for a princess fleeing her homeworld. One of dozens of dropships that had left the planet ahead of the battle, she was broadcasting a routine flight plan to the asteroid mining facilities in the outer system to pick up a load of refined ore for Luthien's hungry industries.

Omiko Kurita grasped the welded bar above the hatch at the top of the ladder that she had climbed and used it to swing into the small compartment feet first. Unlike her time in court, she was in plain tan shipboard coveralls marked with the insignia of a junior assistant navigator and the stenciled name 'A. Nakamura'. The bass rumble of the fusion drive sending her away from her homeworld and toward the Jumpship that had been hastily called to transport her deeper into the Combine faded to a dull roar as she then closed and locked the hatch down inexpertly.

The man strapped into the seat in the small lounge bowed to her from where he had been cleaning a Mauser & Gray Flechette Pistol on the holotable set into the deck. Like her he was dressed in shipboard coveralls with the sleeves rolled up, showing his heavily tattooed forearms. He gave her an inquisitive look as she returned the bow before sliding into the seat opposite him and buckling herself in.

"How is Lady Fiona handling the demands of the trip?"

Omi sighed. "Sleeping now, with the aid of a mild sedative that the doctor provided. She cried herself to sleep when she learned that Hohiro had confided to me in private that he planned to ask her father for her hand in marriage at the Autumn Full-Moon Festival. Inconsiderate and uncourteous of the Jaguars to interrupt my brother's happiness, neh?"

Shin Yodama nodded slowly in turn as he continued to work on his firearm. "Quite. Quite. He had expressed some admiration of her to me in private. Now...for them is is only the teahouse on the slopes of Death Mountain that awaits their love."

Omi gave a very sad smile as she quoted from the death poem that her brother had passed her at their leave taking, her eyes gelaming with unshed tears. "Surely there's a teahouse/with a view of plum trees/on the Mountain of Death, too. At least she has some comfort from those words in her grief. I admire his use of the plum blossom in it as a reference to the mon of her family's company. Quite artistic of him, not that I would have admitted it to him growing up. Oniisan was insufferable enough at the time, or so it seemed to me when he taught me the basics of poetry as a young girl."

Yodama gave a deep sigh as he spoke in turn. "When I first met him, I was concerned that someone of his youth as a Sho-sa commanding me would be giving orders based on flower arrangement or similar pursuits. A failing of mine, for the blood of the Dragon flows true in him, as it does in you. Now I follow my orders from him to keep you safe on your travels until he relieves me. Wherever they may take us." He cocked an eyebrow at her in silent inquiry.

Omi gave a nod of acknowledgement in return as she spoke in a voice full of fatigue. "First to Benjamin, my brother Minoru will meet us there. Father sent messages to Warlord Dieron to release him from his service obligation and provide him transport from his posting on Dieron. Once I discharge my sworn duty to the House...."

Omi's voice trailed off and she looked distant, biting her lip absently before speaking once more in a hushed voice. "Once I transport what I carry to Minoru and take counsel with him, Father recommended that I find a safe haven to continue the bloodline. We may fall but the Dragon must endure to fulfill our destiny. Father in his wisdom made arrangements with the Fox to give me sanctuary on New Avalon if needed. If Luthien falls and with the increased activities of...disloyal elements opposed to what I plan to do...I shall make my way to the Suns. Far better that way than to be a brood mare for the Black Dragon Society's intrigues."

Shin Yodama's jaw dropped as he stared at the clearly nervous girl across from him as she lowered her head to stare at her hands. He had observed the clear bond between her and the blond-headed Archon Prince on Outreach, but to think that she would leave her homeland willingly....

He then collected his thoughts, using the familiar routine of assembling the pistol to provide a framework as his hands automatically moved. "Well, Tai-sa Kurita's orders were very specific and unambiguous. I am to keep "my little sister"-his exact words-safe and assist her in her travels. I shall need to speak to some 'acquaintances' in the Kuromaku-gumi who have a trading license when we arrive on Benjamin, but I am certain that something can be arranged for travel across the border. More trade happens there than one may expect at first glance. Sho-sa Galen Cox was the person who introduced me to Tharkad Hefelweisen, and it would be discourteous not to thank him for such sage advice, no? I also feel disinclined to disturb the Bureau of Interstellar Trade with such a minor matter in their greater concerns."

Omi's smile at his words and the message behind them lit up her face. "Indeed not. I also shall have certain funds available to me as needed to arrange for matters to be handled swiftly and discreetly by your 'acquaintances'. I bow to your expertise in such matters, save to say such friends such as those you mention should be richly rewarded for their assistance. My brother trusted his life to you, and my father trusted his plan to defend Luthien to you, I shall trust my happiness to you in turn."

Omi's words were cut short by the warning chime of the intercom.

The voice of the sensor officer spoke without preamble. "We have received a transmission from Luthien that you may wish to observe. Channel three"

Shin punched in the command and an image formed. Theodore Kurita was there in military dress uniform, flanked by his wife Tomoe, son Hohiro and daughter Omi as he stood on the reviewing stand overlooking the Sanethia Kurita Parade Grounds. Rank upon rank of Battlemechs stood behind him painted the scarlet of the Sword of Light and the midnight black of the Otomo and Genyosha as he raised a hand.

"People of Luthien! I bring news of victory! The cowardly Smoke Jaguar warship that bombarded Skytower City yesterday in an act of barbarity is no more! My Samurai have struck it from the sky and the degenerate mewling kittens crewing it burn in the Dragon's Breath! The honorless barbarians that attack us have yet to challenge us, perhaps they are afraid of defeat once more, no? Take heart, support your children, siblings, neighbors, and parents who serve as my samurai, and with unified heart we shall cleanse the stain of Kerensky's degenerate descendants from our just dominion!"

The transmission froze on the Coordinator lifting his right fist, mirrored by the ranks of Battlemechs raising their right arms in salute. Shin Yodama looked a question at Omi, who spoke with quiet pride in her voice. "Chu-i Mariko Ishikawa, from the 40th Dieron Regulars, has a remarkable resemblance to me. When asked to serve as a body double for me, she volunteered to be transferred from her regiment to 'special duty'. The Bureau of Substitution agreed with her request and the ISF cleared her after a rigorous loyalty check and some minor cosmetic surgeries. I have spoken with her a few times, and swore to her that I would strive to be worthy of all that she is sacrificing for me."

Nadir Recharge Station

Benjamin, Benjamin District

October 19th, 3056

The light above the hatchway turned green and Omi swam out onto the passenger concourse in the microgravity of the Olympus space station. Dressed in plain shipboard coveralls and with a tethered soft bag floating behind her wrist, she was the image of another anonymous crew member as she approached the security checkpoint where a quartet of Friendly Persuaders waited in their distinctive red and white striped uniforms. She took a deep breath as she paused, noticing the unholstered stunner one carried and the riot shotgun not quite pointed at her by another as she presented her credentials.

"Identify yourself."

Omi suppressed her feelings of disquiet as she fed her DCMS-issue identity card into the offered reader. While the crew of the Shigure had used the equipment on board to forge her a set of papers, this was the first time that they would be tested. "Petty Officer Nakamura Ami, currently traveling on orders from the Draconis Combine Admiralty."

"Purpose for travel to Benjamin?"

"I am here to meet my brother to honor his new posting before I travel to Proserpina to get married, Persuader-sama." A lesson from Shin Yodama during the interminable series of jumps as the Shigure made its way from dying Luthien. Use the truth to lie.

"Proceed."

Omi bowed her head as she retrieved her papers, and then proceeded through the checkpoint, waiting on the other side so Shin Yodama could clear it. The ex-yakuza looked at her. "Where should we meet?"

Omi scanned the directory of services available on the large grav-deck of the station and gave a small smile. "Once you speak to your acquaintances, make your way to Benzaiten's Ivories. They will have a meeting area that we can use."

"Hai." With that, he nodded to her and proceeded toward an area of the station marked with bright-almost garish-lighting advertising the delights found within. Omi shook her head minutely as she remembered a conversation from two days ago where she had raised the possibility of assisting Yodama in his travel negotiations. He had stared at her, laughed briefly, and then said that it would be a race between her brother's ghost and Victor to see who throttled him first for subjecting someone like her to the underbelly of Combine life.

With that, she took a deep breath and slid out a smartphone from her bag. Tapping in a number from memory, she bit her lip as she listened to the dial tone. Finally there was a click.

"Moshi moshi?"

"Minoru, it's your Oneesan. I am waiting at gate ten. Could you send your aide to pick Ami Nakamura up? I have matters that I must discuss with you in person." She took a deep breath. "Remeber the time that Mother caught us using her kitchen without permission to make dango when I was eight?"

There was an indrawing of breath on the other end of the line. "I...see. I shall make arrangements. Gate ten then and Ami Nakamura. Sayonara."

Omi turned off the phone after locking it and took a seat as she concentrated on the ebb and flow of people. Red-and white striped Friendly Persuaders patrolling to deter criminals and vagrants; tan-uniformed DCMS personnel crewing the station; a dark-skinned Azami patriarch shepherding his burqua clad female relatives all passed before her as she immersed herself in the movements of society to find the inner peace that she so desperately needed.

Finally the crowd resolved into a stocky silver-haired man dressed in DCMS uniform with a wrinkled almond skin color that made Omi think of nothing so much as a hazelnut. He bowed to her. "Nakamura-sama?"

She stood and returned the bow, her eyes tracking automatically to the stylized katakana '5' in lavender on the brown backing of his rank tabs. "Hai, Shujin-sama. I am she." Even if she was a Kurita and he was merely a lowly master sergeant from the infantry, such a man was worthy of her respect as a warrior. While her grandfather may not have approved, her father had taught Omi otherwise.

His dark eyes scanned her...looking for what? Finally he grunted, "Follow me please." With that, he gestured brusquely and turned in an automatic about-face.

Omi hefted the bag containing the katana and followed him, reassured by his solidity. He was a rock, and the Combine would have need of such in these troubled times.

Ten minutes and two security checkpoints later, the Shujin tapped an intercom panel next to a guarded hatch. "Sir, she is here."

A voice sounded from within. "Then show her in!" The hatch then opened and Omi stepped inside.

Beyond it, two familiar faces sat in conversation. Her younger brother-had he grown since Omi had seen him off to Sun Tsu School of Combat five years ago?-turned, his eyes examining her and pausing at the bag she carried. Though slight in form, barely filling out the DCMS uniform that he wore with understated pride, he dominated the room with his quiet strength of presence. Next to him, her father's cousin had his eyes widen as he saw her, the apple-green katakana with the gold bar showing his rank as Warlord of Dieron District flashing in the lights.

Omi bowed deeply and took a deep breath. Her voice was tightly controlled, drained of all emotion. As much as the words she had to say would tear at her wounded heart, she was Kurita, and would not dishonor her father and brother's sacrifice in this moment. "Tai-shu Kurita Isoroku-sama, Chu-i Kurita Minoru-sama. I come bearing news. Luthien has fallen to the Smoke Jaguars and the Coordinator is now with his ancestors."

Naked shock appeared for a moment on both faces before iron discipline reasserted itself. Isoruku was the first to respond as he narrowed his eyes. "Then my nephew Hohiro...?" His voice was hoarse with emotion as he spoke despite his decades of service to the Dragon.

Omi lowered her head in respect for the dead before speaking in that controlled voice despite her burning eyes. "He died with his face to the enemy. Father was in the Palace commanding our troops when the Jaguars sent a headhunter unit to attack. During the confusion after he died, major elements of their 'Mech forces broke through and made their way into the Kado-Guchi valley. Chu-sa Kur---" Her voice broke and she swallowed before resuming in a sadly proud voice. "Hohiro led the remnants of the Black Ocean to halt their advance, and when he was being overrun called for a nuclear strike on his position."

Minoru stood and walked over to hug his sister as tears streamed down their cheeks. "Then I must rally us and get vengeance. Our blood cries out for it."

Omi nodded sadly after their tears had ceased and unzipped the bag. "Indeed. All is not lost, for Father in his wisdom ordered me to carry the heart of the Dragon to the next Coordinator."

Steel flashed in the light as she unsheathed the sword of Shiro Kurita. Isoruku's eyes widened and he prostrated himself as Omi knelt to offer the ancient blade to her brother. Minoru's face was unreadable as he looked down at the blade that she offered.

"Kurita Minoru-dono, son of Coordinator Kurita Theodore-dono, grandson of Coordinator Kurita Takashi-dono. Our blood cries out for vengeance for our dead all the way to Kurita Shiro-heika. Shall you accept the mantle of the Dragon?" Despite the tear tracks on her pale cheeks, Omi's voice was as hard and resolute as the steel she offered her only surviving kin.

For a long moment all was still, then Minoru reached out and took the sword from where it lay on the outstretched palms of his sister. He raised it over his head with both hands in a smooth, practiced movement. Omi remembered her brothers practicing the men strike in kendo as she secretly watched them as a child as Minoru assumed the position for the pear-splitter.

"I shall. Keeper of the House Honor, I swear upon my name and lineage that as no man may rest under the same sky as the murderer of his kin, so shall the Dragon not rest until the Smoke Jaguar is no more. Warlord, summon my generals to conference on Benjamin." His voice was a growl of grief, pain...and the iron pride that had driven his ancestors to make their mark on history.

Isoruku silently bowed and departed, leaving the siblings alone. Omi watched in silence as Minoru sheathed the sword then turned to her. "I have a war to fight, Sister, but I would see you safe."

She nodded. "Such was father's intent. He spoke to the Fox to make arrangements for my safety if such was necessary. I shall travel to New Avalon and gather what aid I can muster to support you...unless you command otherwise."

Minoru walked to her, and placed his hand gently on her shoulders. For long moments he stared into her eyes, into her soul, then nodded sharply. "I shall obey Father's wishes in such matters. I merely request that you do not travel openly, for Father and Uncle Isoroku have shared concerns about dissident elements with me. What...has happened recently may embolden them and I...the Coordinator does not need distractions from his duty."

Omi smiled through her tears and hugged her little brother as she choked out her thanks. "Doumo arigatou gozaimasu, Minoru-chan. I shall go to make arrangements for my travel now."

« Last Edit: 26 April 2018, 12:14:03 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #193 on: 26 April 2018, 13:04:07 »
Tharkad Hefelweisen

If he´s talking about the beer, it´s "Hefeweizen".

Awesome story so far. It´s just that bad German in English stories is a pet peeve of mine.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #194 on: 26 April 2018, 14:38:19 »
....well, I'm speechless...

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #195 on: 26 April 2018, 14:40:21 »
when this story is over, can you possibly provide a timeline of events (example format: the timeline used in the Jihad series)? It would make it easier for anyone to play in this AU easier...

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #196 on: 26 April 2018, 17:04:14 »
Tagged

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #197 on: 27 April 2018, 02:17:18 »
That was well written!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #198 on: 27 April 2018, 08:41:36 »
Yep Mike, "Flight of Omi Kurita" is among the best I have seen. And he's a hard core Davionista to boot. PW, I do promise I will come up with a timeline, and perhaps a FM of sorts. At least something along the lines of a 4th Succession War Handbook.
FedCom Fan!

PeacMaker03

• Corporal
« Reply #199 on: 27 April 2018, 13:21:25 »
Panzerfaust, I just want to thank you for this story. Enjoyed every post.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #200 on: 27 April 2018, 13:32:40 »
More to come Peacemaker, More to come.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2018, 14:20:27 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #201 on: 30 April 2018, 22:47:50 »
Very cool story and came back after not reading in some time. Thanks for sharing.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #202 on: 01 May 2018, 02:12:44 »
great stuff.  PING!

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #203 on: 02 May 2018, 19:26:59 »
Benzaiten's Ivories, Nadir Recharge Station

October 19th, 3056

Why, then, ivory, as the substance of the Pillar that
signifies the thought and conduct of the Kuritan people?

Of the Five Pillars, only Ivory and Teak represent living
materials, and only Ivory comes from sentient beings like
ourselves. Starting in earliest youth, the animal's tusks
continue to grow during the whole of its existence; the tusk is built
up in layers, the innermost layer being the last produced, while the
outermost eventually becomes a hard and impervious protection.
In like manner, the Pillar of the people's consciousness continues
to grow with the expansion of House Kurita. As in the layered tusk,
each stratum of society is assigned the mode of faith and conduct
most suited to its position. As with the protective outer bark of the
tusk, all is kept safe by the strength of character of the First Lord
and the diligence of the Keeper of the House Honor.
-Constance Kurita, Keeper of the House Honor, in
Commentaries, Office of Educational Materials, Order of the Five
Pillars, Luthien, 3007

The antique brass bell above the door of Benzaiten's Ivories chimed musically as Omi entered. She gave a thankful smile to the silent Shujin who had been escorting her after her meeting with the new Coordinator as he assumed a position to watch the door. She then looked over to the counter where the assistant manning it was speaking to a white-haired noble in a stylish dark-red outfit styled similar to DCMS uniforms.

Her ear catalogued the noble's speech patterns as that of lost Rasalhague and something about him rang faint bells of recognition. One of her grandfather's courtiers who had gone into seclusion shortly before the Clans arrived...the 'Red Duke' was what he had been called when she was a girl.

With a silent inward sigh at the delay in her plans, Omi instead walked over to the display case and used one of the offered magnifying glasses next to the case to examine the exquisite carvings being presented. While no stranger to artistry in her own life in Imperial Palace, the miniature okimono figurines presented took her breath away. In particular a Kitsune no Yomeiri set caught her eyes, with their depiction of the fox-spirits' wedding procession with the groom as a swaggering samurai dog-fox, the vixen bride in her white kimono folding an origami crane for happiness, and the officiating priest as an elderly, chubby monk leaning on a cane.

Behind her, the noble finished paying for his purchase and turned to go. His eyes widened as he saw Omi's profile and then he turned to go with almost indecorous haste, reaching for his buzzing phone as he departed the shop.

"Does the honored customer see something that she likes in our humble business?" A soft and polite voice interrupted Omi's examination and she turned to see the assistant standing next to her.

"Hai, the Kitsune no Yomieri lifts my spirit in these troubled times. But I am not here to admire the work of a master, unfortunately. Notify Jukurensha Futsumi-ji that 'Sanyu Kurita has decided that the need is great enough'. I must speak to him in privacy, along with Sho-sa Yodama when he joins us."

A widening of the eyes was the only sign of the impact that her words had given the assistant, who quickly scurried off. Several minutes later, he returned and bowed low to her before escorting her behind the counter. The room she was led to was laid out in the classic style of a Japanese dwelling. White tatami mats covered the floors, the soundproofing on the walls was hidden by rice paper and wood, and the lighting was indirect. Omi bowed to the assistant, slipped off her shoes to take the offered slippers with the ease of long practice and then entered.

She knelt before the tokonoma alcove, contemplating the objects on display. The wall scroll's calligraphy was almost as good as hers, and the subject was...interesting to say the least. 'Might makes Kurita' was the first line of one of the traditional haikus every schoolchild learned and she mentally filled in the remainder 'Pillar of Dragon Steel/Victory over all!' automatically. Pain filled her heart at the memory of her brother and father's last moments, along with a fierce pride that they had died like a Kurita should with their face toward the enemy. Duty was heavier than a mountain, true, but death was lighter then a feather when the time came for duty to embrace it.

Her eyes then lowered to the object on display, a ivory handled katana, with the hilt an exquisitely carved dragon writhing around in such a way to almost seem alive. Not a show piece though, she could see the wear where hands had grasped the dragon, and the faint marks on the blade from duty on the battlefield and dueling grounds. Time stilled and her breathing settled into a slow rhythm as her eyes traced the woodgrains in the blade formed by the folded steel and then followed them to the writhing ivory dragon grasping the steel, then back along the curve of the blade to the chisel point.

A soft male voice spoke in her ear and for the space between two heartbeats she thought that Hohiro's ghost spoke those words. "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. Forgive my tardiness, honored guest, the ivory was calling me when Hiro-kun notified me of your arrival."

Omi turned and bowed to the middle aged man with the shaved head kneeling next to her. "Iie, Futsumi-ji. This one was caught in the dance of the Dragon across the steel and remembering those who have passed onward before her. Peace in such troubling days is all the more precious when it sneaks up on her, neh?"

The man returned the bow then as he raised his head, Omi's breath caught in her throat. His face was hideously scarred and his eyes the milky white of the ivory that he carved. "Indeed it is. Indeed it is. Do not be troubled, young one. I gave my sight in the service of the Dragon willingly on Halstead Station in 3039 only to find it again in contemplation of what the ivory speaks to me when I touch it. Your voice...? Forgive an old man's impertinence, but may I see your face?"

"Hai." Omi guided his hand, scarred by the tools he used to carve the ivory over the calluses of a swordsman and 'Mechwarrior, to her cheek. Feather-light fingers danced across her face as he nodded his head quizzically and spoke to himself.

"Strength, the strength of the bamboo which bends in the hurricane winds and then stands proudly when all around it are laid low in their foolish pride. Strength mixed with the pride of her heritage...and such terrible sorrow for one so young. Secrets too, so many secrets. How may this one be of service to you Kurita-dono?"

Omi's eyes widened fractionally and the ivory carver laughed with the sound of unalloyed happiness as he sensed her surprise. "Your father came to those of us who survived Halstead Station while we were recovering from our injuries to thank us for our sacrifice and honor our service. You have much of him in your voice and to those unencumbered by the illusion of sight the Dragon speaks through you as it did through him when he ordered the Ivory Dragon into battle against the lesser enemy. Just as your voice now speaks to me of the pain he felt at the cost of the battle when he honored my sacrifice at the head of my company. So the whispered rumors are true then?"

Omi whispered. "Hai. Father and my elder brother died at the claws of the Smoke Jaguar along with many of our finest, and now Coordinator Kurita Minoru-dono rallies the Dragon to take revenge. I must travel in secrecy to New Avalon to secure what aid I may. Therefore, I need to make arrangements to travel to Proserpina in secrecy for the first step of my travels."

"Such can be arranged. The Yukikaze leaves tomorrow to purchase ivory, and schedules shall be adjusted. Hiro will supply traveling garb for you and your companion, a pair of acolytes on pilgrimage will attract no attention."

Omi smiled. "My thanks."

"Such are not needed, service is its own reward. Although, if you could indulge an old man's whimsy, I wish you to take tokens of your visit along with you. Hm, for peace...the Kitsune no Yomeiri shall do well, it called to me strongly when I touched the tusk that gave it birth. And for the other...while it is a poor grasping at beauty for my first attempt, I wish you to have my sword."

Omi shook her head. "You do me too much honor! I could not..."

"No, I regretfully insist, Kurita-dono. If you must, hold my sword in trust for your husband-to-be."

He laughed merrily again at the note of shock in her voice as she started the customary second refusal. "I have three younger sisters, each happily married along with my youngest brother, Kurita-dono. I know the signs all too well even in my blindness. No, no, please take them with my modest blessing for many children to fill your life."
FedCom Fan!

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #204 on: 02 May 2018, 22:35:31 »
well that was oddly.... surprising.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #205 on: 03 May 2018, 04:43:04 »
Good ole Hasid Ricol
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #206 on: 08 May 2018, 12:28:34 »
Luneberg Plain
10km South Southwest of Waldorff City, Waldorff
Tamar March, Federated Commonwealth
November 9th, 3056

Star Captain Hardek laughed with delight as his Stormcrow Prime grounded with a shudder in a cacophany of braking jets and a barely controlled impact on the earth of Waldorff. He howled with delight as his ‘Mech’s systems reported in that they were working nominally. Good, the drop was within acceptable parameters, and now we crush the surats who dare attack our Clan, and then deal with the foolish home clans who dare oppose us? The Steel Viper plan was simple, two clusters, the 423rd Assault Cluster, of which Hardek and his trinary belonged to, and the 94th Battle Cluster would drop onto the Luneberg Plain and attempt to suck the FC defenders into a long-range fight, one more clanlike, Hardek’s mind echoed. Meanwhile, 12 hours from now, the 428th Assault and 57th Striker Cluster were going to do an avalanche drop onto Waldorff City itself, seize the starport, and cut off the FC forces from their base of supply. The Khan had assured them all that “This will be a simple matter, a bandit execution.”

“All Stars, report readiness” Hardek barked. He was eager to get going, to restore the honor of the Steel Vipers. He smiled, as he mentally counted the ‘Mechs of his trinary in the distance. 15 for 15, excellent. Trinary Bravo looks ready to walk the Honor Road.

“Alpha Krait Star, we are ready to dispose of the enemy.” Star Commander Susan was a no-nonsense warrior, quite shy in social matters, but a terror on the battlefield, and someone who did not brook any issues from her subordinates. She was probably going to be a candidate for the next Mercer bloodname contest, as she had impressed many in her blood house. Her short stocky build had many wondering if she was the freebirth product of coupling between a ‘Mechwarrior and an Elemental. It was not a question anyone ever asked twice.

“Bravo Boa Star, we are ready” Star Commander Haskell Moffat was the only bloodnamed member of the Trinary, and normally, he would be a lot more than a simple Star Commander by now. But ever since his bloodname trial 4 years before, he had proven to be a disappointment. He had just turned 31, and any day now, he would probably get orders for a solahma cluster. Watch this one, Hardek, he might get his Starmates killed seeking glory that is not his.   He was tall, and lanky, with hair that had prematurely greyed and worry lines that creased his face like old parchment.

“Charlie Mamba Star, we are ready for the glory that awaits!” Star Commander Chase was an interesting fellow, he was another ristar fresh from his Trial of Position on the Homeworlds. He had managed two kills in his graduation trial, and worse yet, had graduated early. Seems a lot of sibkos are doing that these days. He was a young puppy, eager to please and overly eager to come to grips with the Fedcom. A little too eager, it was all so…unclanlike. Chase was a short fellow, socially awkward, and somewhat befuddled as to his responsibilities as a Star Commander, and worse, he was a complete incompetent when it came to land navigation. He had gotten his entire Star lost on a night exercise a week before and had almost led them into a sandstorm back on Twycross. He used the radio entirely too much often clogged it on exercises. Hardek had threatened him with a circle of equals and that had, for now, put an end to that. He might be the Trinary’s point of failure. I must watch him as well.

“All Stars, we go forward to determine the future of our Clan. Our Khan has already taught the Hell’s Horses a lesson in humility. Now, we shall teach it to the sphereoids. The order is, advance and no bondsmen, we shall not have these honorless surats sully the honor of the clan!”

A chorus of “Aff, Star Captain!” filled the trinary radio frequency. Hardek had the secondary radio tuned to the Cluster frequency. That radio could not transmit, but it was useful for getting the intent of his Star Colonel and acting upon it before it was transmitted over the radio to Hardek. And it improves my chances for being selected for the next Ahmed bloodname contest.

The secondary radio crackled to life, it was a bit staticky, more than usual. A series of squeals tore through the air and obscured part of the Star Colonel’s orders “- Trinary Delta, I want you to work around the enemy Hardek, see if you can find a seam between their two RCTs, and get at that artillery. Without it, the surats are helpless, and we will dispose of them as we did during the invasion.” The radio squealed again, and then gave way to harsh static, and then, the faint musical notes that sounded as if a cat was being strangled..strange, Davion units, at least the ones the Clans have encountered, do not often play music in battle. It did not matter to Hardek, he had his orders.

“Aff, ovKhan.” Hardek replied. He was unsure if the Star Colonel had heard him acknowledge the order, but he lurched his Stormcrow forward at a loping pace, eager to come to grips with the Davion units reported to be on the planet. Three RCTs of their vaunted Guards, this will be an execution. Let us see them fight without their tricks.

“Charlie Mamba, advance to full speed, and flush out any surprises the enemy has in store for us!”

The radio was dead, except for harsh squeals and the occasional pop of static. All of the ‘Mechs of his trinary remained in the double column with him at his head. He made hand and arm signals to deploy the trinary into line, which took time, and forced Hardek to halt his ‘Mech, and observe the shakeout of the trinary. That too more valuable time, 5 whole minutes by Hardek’s chronometer.

Once the line was shaken out, they advanced at the walk, the controlled thunder of 15 Battlemechs at walking speed shaking the earth for at least half a mile as they advanced along the azimuth of the inertial navigation of Hardek’s mech, who was still leading the trinary, some 100 meters forward of the center of the line. Charlie Mamba had still not advanced to screen the line.

Hardek turned his ‘Mech to pass hand and arm signals to Star Commander Moffat in his Kit Fox, when threat warnings blared through his cockpit. A series of small heat signatures had appeared as if from nowhere to his front. Stravag! Enemy infantry to my front…and we have no Elemental support. They were formed into provisional clusters for the drop onto Waldorff City, and who knew how they were making out? Several smoke trails shot out from a series of well hidden positions to Hardek’s front, some 90 meters away. Two of them intersected with a Viper A from Charlie Chase. The rockets exploded short of the mech, making popping noises as the ‘Mech was soon covered in burning gel, as it stumbled and fell..as it did so..the ground exploded, separating the Viper’s left arm at the elbow, and the right leg at the knee. The ‘Mech’s ammunition soon began to cook off and an inferno began to consume the ‘Mech.

Hardek slammed the arm of his command couch with his left fist in frustration and anger. There was infantry in prepared positions out there, he had the wrong weapons and loadouts to deal with them. He had no elemental support, and worse? He’d walked right into a minefield. He halted again and made more hand and arm motions for the rest of the trinary to withdraw, he’d find a way around these surats, and accomplish his mission. He checked his map, there was an entrance to a small rolling valley that led into the Davion rear, it could be used to reach his objective, and keep him covered, he’d just have to find somewhere sheltered to brief his people face to face and-

It was then that his threat warning system went off again. Air threat. Dammit, where the hell were our fighters? Hardek’s mind questioned. It wasn’t long before a pair of what the computer identified as Corsairs roared past, with half the trinary opening fire on them with everything bigger than a small laser. Naturally, they did not hit them, but a series of dark shapes tumbled from their wings..right over the center of Alpha Krait. The shapes split open into multiple smaller shapes, too many to count, and small parachutes blossomed. Oh no, that new Fedcom munition. They can drop it from the skies too. Many of the munitions fired small thrusters and landed on the tops of the three ‘Mechs caught in the beaten zone. A Mad Dog C caught the worst of it. It blossomed in a series of explosions that dropped the ‘Mech like a puppet with it’s strings cut. The wrecked remains fell to the ground, streaming gouts of black smoke and hit the ground with a loud crash that shook the ground under the feet of Hardek’s ‘Mech.

It was then that Hardek’s secondary radio crackled to life. “Steel Vipers, this is Star Colonel Ravill Pryde of the Jade Falcon Guards, I come with two Clusters, my own and the 8th Falcon Regulars, we come to bid for the right to face the FC forces on world. We will do so, with, or without your cooperation.”

Freebirth! Have the Falcons gone mad? Those units were badly hurt defending Sudeten according to the Chatterweb. And now, they are here? And they bid against four FRESH clusters to participate in our counterattack? Everything is madness.

“This is Galaxy Commander Sarah Andrews to all Gamma Galaxy callsigns, break contact and withdraw to the dropships, FC forces have broken through our security screen. Withdraw and break contact. “

The frequency then squealed painfully again, and this time, the cat strangling music was back, even louder this time. It was then that his cockpit glass polarized as a double flash ripped across the sky, high in the atmosphere, then another..then three. Stravag, what was that?

“Star Captain, Mechwarrior Gerd of Alpha Krait, Sir, they’re saying the Steel Python has been destroyed. The surats nuked it!”

"Stop spreading rumors and get off the air, Gerd. You will submit yourself to your Star Commander for punishment when this is over!" Hardek barked.

“Aff Star Captain, I would, but she is down, it was her Mad Dog that went down from that air strike!”

“Then who oversees your star? Mechwarrior?” Hardek barked again.

“I am, I am senior.”  The voice came through the radio small, and distant.

Hardek shook his head. Gerd was fresh from the homeworlds, like about a 1/3rd of the Trinary. He had no idea HOW to run a star. And what made it worse, learning how during what was looking like a nasty ambush was not the way to learn.

“All Trinary Charlie elements, execute the orders of the Galaxy Commander.” Whom I will face in a Circle of Equals when this is over. “Keep your intervals and spacing.”

A chorus of “Affs” echoed over the radio.

The trinary moved out in a south westerly direction. The radio was a hash, a mix of cat strangling music, jumbled orders and situation reports, screams, and harsh squeals. Hardek couldn’t raise anyone after some time. Who even knows if we are out here? We went wide to the left to try and overrun the enemy artillery. And we should be seeing our dropships by now?

Hardek’s threat receivers went off again. Ten, no, twelve MAD contacts, mix of weight classes, but 12 ‘Mechs 450 meters to his front only meant one thing. The Davions got there first. And now they are here to finish us off. He glanced at his repeater screen. Charlie Mamba had lost two ‘Mechs in the initial exchange, and Alpha Krait had done likewise. He had 11 ‘Mechs with all sorts of levels of damage. Hardek was willing to bet the Inner Sphere company to his front was as fresh as Arcadia daisies.

His radio crackled to life again.  The voice was tinged with a mild brogue that Hardek could not place “Steel Viper Commander, this is Captain Tam McIvish, Charlie Company, 78th Highland Battalion, 1st Kearny Highlanders. I know who you are, and I know what kind of shape you are in. I have air from the Kell Hounds five minutes out. We just took your dropships. They won’t be waiting for you. Power down and surrender. You cannot win, and we don’t want to kill good men in a bad cause.”

“If you know me, Captain Tam, then you know what my answer will be.” Hardek replied.

“Aye, Steel Viper, Aye. But, I had to try.”

“I thank you for that. I assume we will not be fighting according to the rules of Zellbrigen?”

“No Clanner, we won’t. It’s my rules this time. And for the record, I lost a son with the 10th Lyran Guards on Twycross. I won’t be taking revenge, he took a soldier’s risk. But, I won’t be playing by your rules. Now, come at us, Clanner. You won’t find Highlander steel to your liking.”

“Trinary, full advance. No zellbrigen, No bondsmen!” Hardek cried.

The trinary again shook out into a rough line, and before long, broke into a full-on run that left the trinary advancing as more of a gaggle, as lighter machines outpaced heavier ones. Gouts of flame and earth erupted from the ground. Artillery or mines? It does not matter. Hardek pushed his throttle to the stops and put the targeting reticule in his HUD on what the warbook identified as a Shadow Hawk. It was resplendent in the tartan of the 78th battalion and it was advancing as part of a loose line with its comrades, a Battlemaster was next to it, giving hand and arm signals to the rest of the company. That must be McIvish. I shall kill him last, he attempted to honor me.

The reticule pulsed twice, and a growling noise in the speakers of Hardek’s neurohelmet let him know he was in range and on target. He fired his ER Large Lasers and one went wide, leaving a cerulean beam cutting the distance between the two combatants, the other impacted into the left torso of the Shadow Hawk, leaving a scorch mark and knocking loose a few burning armor plates. Good Start, Hardek 

The distance closed, 300 meters, 200 meters, 100 meters…soon 80 meters. And it became a knife fight, ‘Mechs swirled around each other, the radio filled with warnings, shouts of triumph, and of pain. To Hardek’s left, a Fire Moth was pinned on a spit of lightning from a pair of PPCs from a Warhammer. It’s right leg violently separated from it’s body, and the ‘Mech crashed to the ground, sliding headfirst a dozen meters down a rolling incline. The Warhammer turned to Hardek and fired a PPC and a pair of medium lasers at him, the PPC slamming into the Stormcrow’s left torso. Hardek fired all his weapons at the Warhammer, catching it with both ER Larges in the left arm. The PPC flared, then gouted a bit of smoke. Good, I took away one of his PPCs. Hardek moved on, aiming to get around the Battlemaster, who was taking on all comers, and already had two dead Steel Viper ‘Mechs at his feet.

“So, you want to do this your way, do you Clanner?”

“As you say, aye, sphereoid.”

“Alright”. The Battlemaster made a transmission in the clear. “Boys, I intend to sort this Clanner out myself, everybody else, stay out of it.”

Hardek smiled then said over his trinary’s frequency “Trinary, I intend to duel this spheroid. Let no one interfere.”

Hardek turned and closed on the Battlemaster, he smiled ferally. I have you now, freebirth. The Battlemaster began to walk backwards, trying to buy some distance for time. Two PPC shots hit Hardek’s Stormcrow square in the torso, momentarily unbalancing the ‘Mech, but Hardek compensated and kept trying to get around the Battlemaster. As he rounded the left side of the ‘Mech, Hardek had a nasty surprise, the Battlemaster turned a lot faster than any assault mech had a right to. Six medium lasers speared the left side of Hardek’s ‘Mech and tore open the left torso. The engine inexplicably shut down, and the ‘Mech’s momentum threw it into the side of a rolling hill, throwing up great gouts of earth. Hardek’s restraints failed..and he was thrown against the control panel, mercifully losing consciousness.

Two Hours Later

“Wakey, Wakey, Clanner. Don’t get any ideas, we already took your sidearm. Now let the nice medic treat you.”

Hardek awoke to his ‘Mech’s head open to daylight, someone had pried open the hatch, and now two figures were inside, one, an obvious medtech, was attempting to treat Hardek’s wounds. He attempted to move his limbs, but the medtech leaned on him to stop him. “Don’t move Clanner. I think you have a concussion and possible bruising of the spine. I got a C-spine coming for you and we’ll be medivacing you shortly.”

“My trinary?” Hardek croaked.

The medtech shook his head. “Sorry Clanner, you lost. The six other survivors surrendered when they saw you go down. One, named Moffat, he keeps asking for bondsref, whatever the hell that means? Do me a favor, live long enough so that I don’t feel my efforts were wasted here? OK?”

Hardek nodded, as his vision began to grey out.

Taken from the daily FC operational briefing provided to Field Marshal Ranier Poulin, Supreme Commander of “Operation Clover Spear”, declassified October 9th, 3076.

“..while the Jade Falcon raids along the Periphery frontier have caused some issues on the homefront, as well as political liabilities that are beyond this command’s purview, we can confidently state that the counterattack as we expected on Waldorff was not only shortlived, but costly for both Clan Jade Falcon and Steel Viper. We have no idea why the Falcons appeared in the midst of the fight, but the fact remains, they did, and caused a measure of confusion that in the end, worked to our benefit…”

Waldorff

Friendly Forces: 1st and 2nd Davion Guards RCT, Davion Assault Guards RCT, 20th Avalon Hussars RCT, 1st Kearny Highlanders, 1st Kell Hounds

Enemy Forces: 423rd Assault Cluster, 428th Assault Cluster, 94th Battle Cluster, 57th Striker Cluster, Clan Steel Viper. Jade Falcon Guards (50% Strength), 8th Falcon Regulars (50% Strength). CSV Steel Python (Aegis Class Cruiser)

Results: The clan counterattack at Waldorff was an unmitigated disaster from the beginning. The initial Clan drops went well, but the fight for Waldorff City was a meatgrinder for the 428th and 57th Clusters, with the Davion Assault Guards and local resistance fighters turning the city into a patch of urban hell. As for the 423rd and 57th, both clusters advanced across the Luneberg Plain to pin the remaining Davion units between the Tief river and the capitol. It did not work out that way. First, the 20th Avalon Hussars hit the 94th in the flank, and in a two-day running battle, shattered the 94th, which barely had two trinaries escape back to Twycross. The 423rd was even unluckier, being hit by the 1st Kearny Highlanders in the flank, and then having both RCTs go on the attack, and within hours, being plowed under, barely three trinaries surviving to surrender. They also lost most of the Galaxy’s dropships, along with the Gamma Galaxy Command Keshik. Galaxy Commander Sarah Andrews died attempting to organize a defense of the dropships, as Davion fighters nuked the Steel Python, disabling her, then boarding her with a battalion of marines.

It was then that the Falcons showed up, executing an avalanche drop onto Waldorff City, and for a time, initiating a three-way fight for the capitol before both Star Colonel Pryde and Star Colonel Thomas Mercer, commander of the 57th Striker Cluster managed to forge a rough pact and the surviving elements of both Clans (a cluster) held off the 1st Kell Hounds and the 20th Avalon Hussars for another 10 days before being wiped out.

Casualties for the FC forces were heavy, with the Assault Guards having lost 45% of their equipment and manpower, the 2nd Davion Guards having taken 20% casualties, and the 1st Kearny having lost 25% casualties. The Kell Hounds and Avalon Hussars lost 15%, mostly in the fight for the capitol.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 21:16:37 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #207 on: 08 May 2018, 18:36:15 »
Nice, thank you.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #208 on: 09 May 2018, 16:06:33 »
nice update.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #209 on: 12 May 2018, 21:13:27 »
Nadir Recharge Station

October 20th, 3056

Mist-covered mountains
Move in and out of vision.
Real or just fog dreams?

-Haiku found upon the body of Minoru Kurita in 2796

Bronze chimed musically as the four rings attached to the top of Omi's shakujō staff gave a musical counterpoint to her steps through the station. Attired in the robes of a Pillarine monk, she led the way for Shin Yodama, likewise dressed in the robes of an acolyte and carrying a dark-stained wooden box reverently in both hands. Supposedly based on a pre-spaceflight Terran sect called the 'Jedi', the armored fabric of the brown robe whispered gently as a soft counterpoint to the chiming of the staff Omi held in her right hand to guide her steps and announce to the traffic that a priestess was passing.

Beneath the armored cowl with the one-way visor lowered to cover the top of her face, Omi's eyes darted left and right, trying to catalogue the images of life in the Combine to hold in her spirit for the journey ahead. A brief flicker of movement in the crowd heralded a clearly pregnant young woman stepping out with her belly bulging under her cheap patterned kimono.

"Enlightened One, if you would be so kind?"

"Hai." Omi bowed her head and chanted a Buddhist prayer for a painless childbirth, placing her free hand on the woman's bent head. Behind her, Shin Yodama paused, then frowned slightly as he saw a fair-haired man in a Tech's utilitarian jumpsuit turn his head at Omi's words and then start to speak into a DCMS-issue portable radio as he watched the scene.

"Ruby, Carmine three here. Possible identity of target, monk heading to the docking ring. Observing, over."

Omi finished her benediction then rang the staff to conclude the invocation, before turning and proceeding. Shin's eyes traveled to a merchant's stall selling cheap mirrors as he followed his superior and his frown deepened as he saw the Tech following them. As they waited for a lift to arrive to carry them from the mercantile district of the station to the docking bay he leaned close to Omi and spoke in a low voice.

"I fear we are not unnoticed. I sense danger on the wind."

Omi returned a fractional nod, her grip tightening on the teak of her staff. "Hai. Audacity is the virtue that we must meditate on now."

As the lift arrived, Shin 'fumbled' with the box that he was carrying in the outflow of people. This delayed their entrance long enough to be the last ones inside the doors before they slammed shut in the face of their pursuer.

"Ruby, Carmine three. Targets are heading for Docking Bay Four. Over."

"Scarlet seven, Ruby. Proceed to Docking Bay Four, neutralize and secure monks there, alive if possible. Over. Carmine three, Ruby. Reinforce Jasper-six. Over."

Inside the lift traveling to the docking bay, Omi lowered her head. Her eyes closed and her breathing slowed into a steady, slow rhythm as she mediated. She had made her decisions and discharged her duty to the Combine and her father's spirit and now the vista that opened up was both enticing and terrifying. Another slow breath and hold as the lift slowed, then a vision of memory from the past filled her mind's eye.

She had sought out her Father after her fifth birthday and found him kneeling in his dropship cabin meditating on a scroll as she and the rest of the family traveled to Luthien. When she had asked Father what he was doing, he responded. "I am seeking guidance for my path in the writings of one far wiser than I, Omiko-chan. Musashi-sensei wrote in the Book of Five Rings: 'You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain' before our ancestors left Terra. I am seeking my own path to fulfill my duty as a Kurita must. One day you and your brothers will make your own journey to the top of the mountain in turn."

Omi knew now more of the reasons for Father's disquiet on that journey. That was the journey that ended with her presentation of court and the revelation of her parents' secret marriage to Grandfather, who had not taken the news well. Grandfather and Father's relationship had been strained often but rarely had it come as close to violence as in that moment. Still just as Father had planned, weighed his decision, then acted, so must she. A Kurita could do nothing less, after all.

"Ruby, Scarlet-Seven. Approaching Docking Bay Four."

"All elements, Ruby. EXECUTE! EXECUTE! EXECUTE!"

Omi bowed to the Friendly Persuaders at thecheckpoint to enter the docking bay as they returned her travel papers, then gestured with her staff sharply to 'order' Shin Yodama to follow her across the bustling floor to the waiting Yukikaze. As she approached a pallet loaded with drums of gasoline bound for the ever-hungry maw of the DCMS' Procurement Department, suddenly there was a muffled explosion and the station shook.

Omi stumbled at the unexpected shock as the million-ton station shuddered. Years of training with her mother, brothers, and a selection of hand-picked Shihan masters of their schools in the family dojo converted that into a roll that landed her behind the cargo pallet. Seconds later Shin Yodama slid to a stop next to her. Behind it, there was a chorus ofscreams over the rattle of gunfire and the thumps of the Friendly Perusader's riot shotguns.

"Shimatta! Terrorists?" He gasped as he spun the wheels on the combination lock holding the box closed then threw it open to reveal their personal weapons. He grabbed his needler pistol and DCMS-issue tanto dagger, charging the pistol as hecrouched low behind the barrels.

Omi slid her sheathed katana through the sash of her robe and picked up the Nakjima Hand Laser pistol that Shin had been extremely vague about the origin of when he showed up in Benzaiten's Ivories with it. Considering that it was normally restricted to DCA naval officers, Omi decided in this case that discretion would be wise as she dialed the beam selector to a two-second burst. "If we are fortunate. If our karma suggests otherwise, we are targets."

Shin risked a quick peek over the barrels, then scowled. "Two Persuaders up fighting six of them. Hachimaki headbands, and maintenance Techs' coveralls."

Alarm sirens sounded in the distance and the station shook again. Omi swallowed hard and willed her voice to a calm that she did not feel in the slightest. "Ambush or flight, Yodama-san?" She looked at the hatchway to the Yukikaze across twenty meters of open space from where they were at.

The rattle of one of the attackers' submachine guns and a suddenly choked off cry of pain punctuated Shin Yodama's next words as he drew his dagger in his off hand. "In death ground, fight."

"Hai." Omi drew her hood back to reveal her face, stood in one smooth movement, and then braced her right hand with her left as she took aim. Her shaking wrist steadied itself automatically as in the space between two heartbeats she became one with the man waving the attackers forward from the rear. The right shot at the right moment does not come because you do not let go of yourself. You do not wait for fulfillment, but brace yourself for failure.

Fifty meters away, Sergeant Paul Hughes of the 37th Benjamin Jump Infantry, attached to the 6thBenjamin Regulars and detached for 'special duties' at the request of Duke Hassad Ricol had his head explode like a pumpkin in a microwave under a two second pulse of laser energy impacting his hachimaka.

Omi never noticed the corpse of Scarlet-Seven hit the bloodstained deck like a puppet with its strings cut. Her steel-blue eyes tracked to one of the two attackers firing down at a wounded Friendly Persuader begging for mercy and her finger squeezed the firing stud again.

The second body falling alerted Scarlet squad to their danger and they responded like the trained soldiers that they were. Two of them knelt and returned fire as the Corporal who was now in charge of the squad hurried to his superior's corpse. Cursing under his breath at the destruction of the microphone, he stuffed the viscera-covered radio headset in his pocket to muffle the squawks from it and issued his orders. "Shirosama! Kim! Suppressive fire! Eriksson and I will close. Bounding advance!"

"Hai, Go-cho Tadasa!"

Sparks flew from the steel fuel drums as stray rounds ricocheted off them. Omi grunted as a trio of impacts punched her torso, the body armor in the robes preventing penetration and locked her eyes on Shirosama as he fumbled for a new clip. Her pistol twitched and Kim blanched as his squadmate dropped with a limp finality. A shaking finger flipped the selector switch to full automatic and the DCMS trooper locked eyes with the Keeper of House Honor across the bay.

Both fingers closed on the triggers simultaneously. Kim felt a whip of fire lash across his torso and his darkening vision saw the young woman fall away behind the drums as he fell into the embrace of death. Behind the drums Shin raced to cradle Omi as blood stained her brown robes a deeper color across her torso and left shoulder. Her eyes focused on him as she dropped the now drained pistol.

"Two left, breaking left and right to pincer us." Omi choked out as she fumbled for the ivory hilt of the katana. "I'll cover your back."

Shin Yodama nodded, taking an instant to squeeze her shoulder before duckwalking to the far corner of the pallet.

Tadasa dashed around the near corner, SMG tracking the motionless figure in a pool of her own blood, then raising the muzzle to track where Eriksson should have joined him. "Eriksson!" he called as the expected squadmate failed to show. He advanced, slowly taking a firmer grip on his weapon as he nudged the body with a toe. Satisfied, he kicked the pistol away from where it lay next to her arms crossed over her belly and then nodded grimly to himself. "Eriksson, Report!", he cried as he kicked the pistol away from where it lay next to her arms crossed over her belly.

The only answer was a pained cry from around the corner.

Tadasa advanced, stepping over the corpse at his feet then took two more steps. A gasp of pained effort from behind him was the only warning he had before eleven centimeters of bloodstained steel suddenly protruded from his chest. As his gun fell from nerveless fingers, a hate-filled voice hissed inhis ear.

"Kuritas take a lot of killing."
« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 21:40:47 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!