Author Topic: Some infantry formations  (Read 2199 times)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
Some infantry formations
« on: 12 March 2020, 22:54:19 »
Playing around with Mechanized and Motorized infantry... heavily inspired by Command and Conquer. I'm totally going to build these with miniatures, too.

First set is a mix of Dune Buggy and Motorcycle infantry. They're motorized. The motorcycle infantry carry sub-machine guns. Dune Buggy has standard auto-rifles (secondary weapons, bikes outnumber them). All of them carry LAW's as disposable weapons.

Motorized (28 units)
MP: 3, Dune Buggy ability
Primary: Sub-machine gun
Secondary: Auto-rifle (2 per squad)
Disposable: LAW

The second is based off of a recon vehicle from WWII called the Dingo. It's a little armored scout car. In this case, I wanted it to be a "glass cannon" to work with the buggies and bikes. Infantry carry standard auto-rifles. The Dingos have support machine gun mounts on them, which gives them high damage at decent range, and they have a compartment that holds a LAW. They can move with the buggies and bikes and support them.

Mechanized (24 units, Wheeled)
MP: 3w, Dune Buggy ability
Primary: Auto-rifle
Secondary: Support Machine Gun (2 per squad)
Disposable: LAW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_Dingo

I think the Alpha Strike stats would look like this:
« Last Edit: 13 March 2020, 23:19:22 by Fear Factory »
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Some infantry formations
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2020, 17:52:27 »
The first platoon realty didn't have to use SMGs... Auto Rifles for all would totally fit thematically.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2020, 20:40:50 »
The first platoon realty didn't have to use SMGs... Auto Rifles for all would totally fit thematically.

Yeah... but why not go for a less-generic decision?
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2020, 20:49:49 »
Battlefield effectiveness?  ???

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2020, 21:20:31 »
Battlefield effectiveness?  ???

And I give you most of the equipment I was ever issued in the army...

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2020, 22:22:44 »

The dune-buggy abilities remind me of the real-life DPV/FAVs:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Patrol_Vehicle

Dunno if you’re better off modeling these as motorized infantry, mechanized infantry, or small support vehicles.  The TOWs are the hardest.  Presumably those would be SRMs, not LAWs.

FWIW...
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2020, 23:14:18 »
The pics of the dune buggy/bike are very cool - where are they from?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2020, 23:15:54 »
The dune-buggy abilities remind me of the real-life DPV/FAVs:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Patrol_Vehicle

Dunno if you’re better off modeling these as motorized infantry, mechanized infantry, or small support vehicles.  The TOWs are the hardest.  Presumably those would be SRMs, not LAWs.

FWIW...

Desert Patrol Vehicles... I would be lying if I wasn't inspired by that.

I thought LAW's gave that "technical" vibe. I'm mixing them with Dirt Bikes so that's why I have two different weapons (SMG and Rifle). I didn't want to sacrifice speed so they would stay at 3 MP. I want them to keep up with the Dingos.

Wasn't sure how disposable weapons are handled in Alpha Strike, so I just followed the "one-shot" conversion rule.

I know I could just spam Auto-Rifles and the other high damage weapons... but meh.

The pics of the dune buggy/bike are very cool - where are they from?

Original concept art for Command and Conquer (Brotherhood of NOD).

Register