Author Topic: Miniature of the Fortnight #40: Grasshopper  (Read 4395 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
Miniature of the Fortnight #40: Grasshopper
« on: 10 April 2018, 21:15:55 »
Today (well, this fortnight), we look at the Grasshopper.  Originally from Technical Readout 3025 (and probably overshadowed by the classic 'Mechs that would become the Unseen), the Grasshopper also saw new art in Technical Readout: Prototypes (and Experimental Technical Readout: Mercs before it).  Both versions have miniatures available.

The original Grasshopper, the GHR-5H, has two metal sculpts and a plastic sculpt:
  • The first metal sculpt had the right arm pointing to the side (20-888).  (I am unclear if the beginners set miniature is a different sculpt or just the same sculpt with an integral base.)
  • The resculpt points that arm forward (also 20-888).
  • The plastic version released by CGL in the previous introductory box and the Assault Lance Pack appears to be based on the first sculpt.
The new Grasshopper, the GHR-7P, has only a single sculpt (20-5036).

If you have only a single Grasshopper painted or a whole plague of them, please share pictures.  We'd love to see them!  As always, thank you for posting and especially thank you to those who will post.

Our next two fortnights will be: (Dates are approximations)
  • Clan (4/22): Black Python (Viper)
  • Inner Sphere (5/6): Enforcer and Enforcer III
« Last Edit: 22 May 2018, 23:52:25 by Xiwo Xerase »

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
Re: Miniature of the Fortnight #39: Grasshopper
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2018, 21:52:40 »
Hey, another one I can contribute to! Half the time it's remembering if I've painted one of a mini, then finding the pic. I know I can throw in one of the -7P and one standard. There are probably one or two more hiding somewhere. It's a handy 'Mech. Solidly built and a good in-fighter. When working on the -7P, giving players the ability to more easily pose the mini was always on my mind; the only failing of the standard model is that you've got to hack it all apart to do anything besides pose the arms. I like to have some life to a mini. To get to the pose I've got it in, a few spots needed to be cut. Nothing was cut all the way through though, and a little greenstuff easily filled the gaps.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2018, 23:09:50 »
I have three.  I don't think that makes a plague, but it's a start  :P

One beginners set mini in Kell Hounds colors, and two AS plastic minis as Illician Lancers.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2018, 04:46:38 »
A resculpt Grasshopper with a minimalistic change: the right lower arm has been pinned 90° angled.
The camo is Periphery Star Guard.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2018, 06:32:01 »
I have two Grashoppers for you. First one is part of my 5th Crucis Lancers (1st Sculpt), second one is part of the Dioscuri Merc unit (2nd Sculpt).

Its not only the arm positioning that differs, but also the back look different between both sculpts. Sadly i have no pic of the backs. Need to do some new photos later.

Schadenfreude

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2018, 16:40:28 »
I'm not sure if I'm breaking some kind of unwritten rule, but while I appreciate the work you've done with the Grasshopper, I'm interested in seeing a thread devoted to the Cyclops. Particularly with consideration for the appropriate era. Is there a way to make such requests? Is there a queue to join?

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2018, 11:12:23 »
I really like how the 7p looks but not sure about the ct cockpit. I may convert the head to a normal grasshopper head. Either way they look great.
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2018, 19:55:20 »
Trio of the 5H

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2018, 19:56:08 »
5N, 7P and the 7K

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2018, 03:12:09 »
There is a request thread.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=54424.msg1380518#msg1380518

I'm not sure if I'm breaking some kind of unwritten rule, but while I appreciate the work you've done with the Grasshopper, I'm interested in seeing a thread devoted to the Cyclops. Particularly with consideration for the appropriate era. Is there a way to make such requests? Is there a queue to join?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2018, 10:49:15 »
The original Grasshopper, the GHR-5H, has two metal sculpts and a plastic sculpt:
  • The first metal sculpt had the right arm pointing to the side (20-888).  (I am unclear if the beginners set miniature is a different sculpt or just the same sculpt with an integral base.)
  • The resculpt points that arm forward (also 20-888).
  • The plastic version released by CGL in the previous introductory box and the Assault Lance Pack appears to be based on the first sculpt.
1st sculpt is a one-piece mini.
2nd sculpt has separate arms (3 pieces total).
Beginner's Set is a modification of the 1st sculpt.
AS Assault Lance Pack (plastic) is a copy of the Beginner's Set version.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2018, 11:52:41 »
I've only got the one Grasshopper painted so far... It belongs to my Stormbringers - 349th Dragoons

Even with building the rock out of scrap metal and extending the front of the base a bit, the miniature has a slight tendency to want to face plant (including one dive from the shelf it lives on - which is at least a five foot drop). The "I-Beams" were originally made from strip styrene, but eventually I had to replace them with brass off a piece of model railroad track...

Caz

Starbuck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2018, 12:22:16 »
i have just one grasshopper. painted in sword of light colors, it was a test for painting red.

"You promised me Mars colonies. Instead, I got Facebook."
Buzz Aldrin

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2018, 15:40:36 »
I wonder why Grasshoppers are so popular amongst the Kell Hounds?  Here's mine.

Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2018, 02:06:58 »
Boing,boing,boing... ;D

IMG_20180424_083244 by agen2, su Flickr

IMG_20180424_083227 by agen2, su Flickr

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 24 April 2018, 08:31:41 »
I've only got the one Grasshopper painted so far... It belongs to my Stormbringers - 349th Dragoons

Even with building the rock out of scrap metal and extending the front of the base a bit, the miniature has a slight tendency to want to face plant (including one dive from the shelf it lives on - which is at least a five foot drop). The "I-Beams" were originally made from strip styrene, but eventually I had to replace them with brass off a piece of model railroad track...

Caz
By far my favorite, sculpt.  I love those action poses, with some attitude!  Shows that the Grasshopper in it's mission in assault role (Kicking butt and taking names).
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #16 on: 30 April 2018, 21:47:59 »
My only Grasshopper.

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #17 on: 01 May 2018, 11:18:50 »
My grasshopper -7P in Tamar Cavaliers's colors

thecybersmily

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 01 May 2018, 21:13:39 »
Here's my contribution