Author Topic: MOTW - Dire Wolf  (Read 42826 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: MOTW - Dire Wolf
« Reply #120 on: 17 January 2019, 11:50:21 »
Can't argue the laser swap (and also can't help but note that it brings it a little closer to feeling like a DW Prime). The Streak rack I feel like is another attempt to keep the original Dire Wolf look intact while trying to get some newer tech shoehorned in there- and not in a good way. Streak LRMs can be fun, but a 10 just doesn't really give you the power one would like for the weight. My immediate knee-jerk is 'SRM racks!' as a response, but with twin LB-10X adding more crit-seeking really won't help much, I suppose.

But yeah, autocannon and four laser ports in each arm, 10-rack of missiles on the shoulders... it's not a Prime at all, but it's trying to re-use the artwork at least.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #121 on: 17 January 2019, 12:28:14 »
How much ammo does it carry for the LB-10's? Unless it has about 4 tons of autocannon ammo, I'm getting a bit uncomfortable about this beast.  It's murder on vehicles, sure but it's a bit under gunned against mechs at range. Like the rest have said, it needs some ER large lasers to do some hole punching.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #122 on: 17 January 2019, 12:34:03 »
My novels are in a box somewhere, but did the various princes use the Wolf's Dragoon model for their graduation trials in Blood Legacy?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #123 on: 17 January 2019, 13:39:55 »
How much ammo does it carry for the LB-10's? Unless it has about 4 tons of autocannon ammo, I'm getting a bit uncomfortable about this beast.  It's murder on vehicles, sure but it's a bit under gunned against mechs at range. Like the rest have said, it needs some ER large lasers to do some hole punching.

It's got two tons of ammo per cannon, and one ton of ammo for the streak launcher.

My novels are in a box somewhere, but did the various princes use the Wolf's Dragoon model for their graduation trials in Blood Legacy?

I don't believe so.  I'm pretty sure they were using the A variant- Stackpole was pretty fond of writing everything as using pulse lasers and Gauss rifles.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #124 on: 17 January 2019, 13:43:40 »
Sounds right- IIRC he put a slug through Sunny's cockpit to Stackpole the engine with two mechs next to it.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #125 on: 17 January 2019, 14:26:47 »
While in some ways inspired by the Echo Configuration, my Constant Variant of the Dire Wolf might be worth looking at.I created the Constant back when the Clans were first introduced, so no CASE II or advanced ECM or what not. Just continuous use of the LB 10s and LRM with bracketing Energy Weapons fire.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #126 on: 17 January 2019, 19:40:24 »
That's great, but this isn't the place to discuss a fan config.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #127 on: 17 January 2019, 23:02:38 »
I don't believe so.  I'm pretty sure they were using the A variant- Stackpole was pretty fond of writing everything as using pulse lasers and Gauss rifles.

They used a custom configuration (or at least Kai did) that... I think... inspired the W configuration. At the time the details of what was done and could be done with omnimechs was still a bit fuzzy, so the description in the book might not mesh with later stats.

The A variant direwolf was used by Victor by the third book in the trilogy and remained his ride for the duration of Stackpole's run (despite the existence of the Direwolf Prometheus configuration, that was a later creation, and I guess was used by Victor during the civil war years)

I don't think any of the other direwolves used on Outreach were ever described in detail, nor was Hohiro's (at least not until the record sheet was created).
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #128 on: 18 January 2019, 00:24:19 »
The Daishi Prometheus configuration was actually given a record sheet by FASA shortly after Victor started using the mech, and also appeared in the CCG.  It was just never used in the fiction until Loren Coleman took over as the writer for the main plot after Stackpole quit.  The same thing happened with Natasha Kerensky and Widowmaker.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #129 on: 18 January 2019, 14:24:03 »
It's got two tons of ammo per cannon, and one ton of ammo for the streak launcher.
Okay so there's plenty of hole punching and sandblasting for the cannons. And 12 rounds of NEVER MISSiles is plenty. :-)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #130 on: 18 January 2019, 15:33:25 »
Yeah, it's not like one of the 3050 configurations with one ton of ammo.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #131 on: 22 January 2019, 11:25:01 »
Yeah, it's not like one of the 3050 configurations with one ton of ammo.

Summoner fans are wailing in agony...

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #132 on: 22 January 2019, 12:08:33 »
Summoner fans are wailing in agony...

You know, that mech could really use another ton of LRM ammo, don't you think?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #133 on: 22 January 2019, 12:32:00 »
Or the Gauss Rifle needs a 2nd ton rather than a SRM launcher . . .
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #134 on: 22 January 2019, 12:36:44 »
Or two ATM-9s instead of a 12 and a 6. Yeah, I'm in agony here.

Say this for Dire Wolves, but even when they DO  make bad choices in ammo layout they at least cover it up with layers of other weapons to compensate usually.

+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #135 on: 22 January 2019, 13:08:10 »
Does that mean the Summoner needs-

Quirk:  Bad Logistics
     If the ammo can be mismanaged, it will be on this mech.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #136 on: 22 January 2019, 13:36:57 »
I think the two Thor variants that take the cake for bad ammo choices are the D (there's never a reason for a full ton of MG ammo) and the M (Yeah, let's add a second ton of ammo for the Streak SRM pod, because there's somehow a chance that it might actually be able to spend the 20-25 rounds of being in streak range of someone necessary to fire off the first ton of streak ammo and still be combat-functional).

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #137 on: 22 January 2019, 13:53:20 »
Huh?  IIRC the A has the same problem with the Gauss Rifle, 8 shots while the SRM has 2t of ammo.  I cannot remember if the C has too much Streak ammo.  Then JHB pointed out the E, which has a ATM6 and ATM12.  I think the H, HH and Q all have ammo problems but I would have to recheck their sheets- H & Q too many SRM launchers vs ammo, and the HH suffering like the A.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #138 on: 22 January 2019, 14:05:12 »
Edit: moving my response to the Summoner MotW thread. https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=23192.60
« Last Edit: 22 January 2019, 14:09:18 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #139 on: 22 January 2019, 14:10:39 »
Apologies, I was looking at the G when I said that . . . the difference between it and the Q by stats is not much.

But yeah, the Dire Wolf may place the ammo in a unfortunate position but it has the right amounts for what it does carry.

Kind of surprised we never got a IJJ version that was somewhat like the Marauder IIs.
Colt Ward

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #140 on: 22 January 2019, 14:40:40 »
You're talking like a jumping PPC-boat kind of thing? I mean the C kind of covers that, but with a lot of extraneous weirdness, I admit.

+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #141 on: 22 January 2019, 14:44:33 »
What I was sort of thinking was the MAD-6D with its screwy (IMO) short range stuff . . .

So IJJ, 2 Heavy Large Lasers, 2 ER Med Pulse Lasers, maybe a HAG . . . or a plasma cannon for fun.
Colt Ward

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #142 on: 22 January 2019, 14:53:48 »
What I was sort of thinking was the MAD-6D with its screwy (IMO) short range stuff . . .

So IJJ, 2 Heavy Large Lasers, 2 ER Med Pulse Lasers, maybe a HAG . . . or a plasma cannon for fun.

Intriguing idea actually. Give it a build in the design section, I'd love to see how it shakes down with the HAG on board. (We only have the one HAG-version right now, but it's a delight...)

+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #143 on: 22 January 2019, 15:57:46 »
Alright, when I get home I will give it a whirl . . . the -6D is just so weird IMO since the pop-guns outrange the 'heavy' main guns.
Colt Ward

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #144 on: 22 January 2019, 22:42:35 »
Does that mean the Summoner needs-

Quirk:  Bad Logistics
     If the ammo can be mismanaged, it will be on this mech.
I've become a huge fan of the G configuration because while I'm not a fan of standard SRMs on clan units, at least the G is an example of a proper way to build a mech.
2 big beamers & a boatload of critseekers for when the holes have been opened up.

I think the two Thor variants that take the cake for bad ammo choices are the D (there's never a reason for a full ton of MG ammo)
While I don't disagree about MG ammo,  I'm not sure an energy weapon monstrosity like the Thor-D ever gets any claim to mismanaging ammo,  like,  EVER.  hehe.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #145 on: 23 January 2019, 00:40:13 »
Here you are JHB . . . I am going to have to mess with it in MM.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=64165.0
Colt Ward

keethrax

• Recruit
« Reply #146 on: 09 July 2020, 19:51:40 »

Which I have to say, they did a very piss poor job of doing.

Basically they didn't do a damn thing till after the invasion started.

But that is a bit off topic I suppose.

In fairness Outbound Light probably ruined whatever timeline they thought they were working with.

RevenVrake

• Master Sergeant
  • When in doubt, alpha strike!
« Reply #147 on: 10 July 2020, 09:56:49 »
I'm kinda surprised we never saw a Z Society Variant of the Dire Wolf. Did they just never get the chance to use one? And if so, what would it pack aside from the necessary Nova CEWS?

Ghost_msl

• Corporal
« Reply #148 on: 10 July 2020, 10:36:32 »
I'm kinda surprised we never saw a Z Society Variant of the Dire Wolf. Did they just never get the chance to use one? And if so, what would it pack aside from the necessary Nova CEWS?

Hmm... iATMs seems like a no brainer - lots of room on the DW for launchers and ammo.
Maybe some TC'ed long ranged beams/ballistics.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #149 on: 10 July 2020, 11:39:29 »
The DireWolf-E mentioned above I think fills the roll of Z since they said it has a CEWS on it.
   Or is that not the same thing?

If not then I agree, a double rack of ATM12s in the torsos would be a good start followed by some beamers in the arms.   Maybe something Timberwolf-ish like Over-Under ERLL/MPL.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo