Author Topic: HBS Battletech Technical Discussion thread  (Read 47482 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: HBS Battletech Technical Discussion thread
« Reply #60 on: 24 April 2018, 14:26:47 »
Let's keep the game discussion in the game thread. I'm trying to keep the two separated.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #61 on: 24 April 2018, 14:59:15 »
Well, got it running after an hour. For some reason Battletech and Final Fantasy XIV (when running full screen) ended up pushing my GPU enough to cause it to overheat before I went and patched things and flashed the bios update HP provided. Finally was able to get Battletech actually running (And might have to try FFXIV again with the patches). So far BT and XIV are the only games I've tried that caused my GPU (8GB Radeon RX 580 Mobile) to cause any problems.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #62 on: 24 April 2018, 15:35:50 »
Lots and lots of little bugs to iron out. Deeply disappointed by a few things, even if I think the game is mostly fun. Need to write HBS a polite letter.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #63 on: 24 April 2018, 15:39:09 »
Well...I cannot log in  :flame:

I WAS logged in earlier, was setting up my callsigh, inputting my own logo:

and when I went to save, it said CALLSIGN ALREADY IN USE

WHAT?!?!?

OK, let me change the NeonKnight to Neon Knight, nope, OK, what about Neon-Knight Nope:

We're sorry there was an unspecified error in establishing your connection to comstar

DURN IT ALL TO HECK!

had to ALT+F4 to close the game, and NOW when I go to log back in...I CAN'T!

I can see my LOGO briefly appear in the upper right:

But I just cannot log in.

NeonKnight is an.....UN-happy camper :(
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 24 April 2018, 16:04:57 »
I've had the same problem and can only assume Paradox got inundated or some similar issue. I'll look on the Steam forum later for verification. In the meantime I've just been playing the campaign while not logged in. You can definitely do that in the meantime.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #65 on: 24 April 2018, 16:40:09 »
I've had the same problem and can only assume Paradox got inundated or some similar issue. I'll look on the Steam forum later for verification. In the meantime I've just been playing the campaign while not logged in. You can definitely do that in the meantime.

Finally in and all rewards redeemed. Not happy I cannot have my chosen CallSign NeonKnight and need to be Neon-Knight   :flame:

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #66 on: 24 April 2018, 16:46:31 »
had no troubles logging in, but the game couldn't decide which of my monitors it wanted to be on at first (I have a 4x monitor rig). It took a couple of restarts of the game to convince it to stay on the center screen but I must admit that the time it showed alternating scenes from the intro movie on right & center screens was kind of cool.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #67 on: 24 April 2018, 17:02:10 »
I spent most of the day downloading the 12+GB, then some more installing it.  Got into the first mission, and as far as Raju telling me to do some basic maneuvers.  Then it crashed.  Up to then, it seemed to be fighting with Windows 10 (the menu bar would flash periodically), even after I closed everything else I was running (including Task Manager).  Anybody else seeing any trouble like this?

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #68 on: 24 April 2018, 20:03:54 »
Ok, good news is that my old Core i5-2400, 16Gb RAM with a GTX 550 ti graphics card (which is below the minimum spec) machine ran a skirmish without any issues.

Game on  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 24 April 2018, 20:05:26 by Feenix74 »
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: 24 April 2018, 20:04:43 »
I have a two screen setup.  For some reason, the edge shared between the two screens doesn't stop t he mouse from moving to the second screen.  Haven't seen an option to fix this.  Any ideas?
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 24 April 2018, 20:44:12 »
I have a two screen setup.  For some reason, the edge shared between the two screens doesn't stop t he mouse from moving to the second screen.  Haven't seen an option to fix this.  Any ideas?
I'very been at work, but it's usually a display option, full screen, windowed, window borderless it sounds like you are on the window borderless option

abou

• Captain
HBS BattleTech -- how the heck do I get a 'mech out of storage?
« Reply #71 on: 24 April 2018, 21:03:21 »
The mouse-over menu says to press Ready to move a 'mech from storage to the bay to refit it. Where is the ****** button?

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
the preorder shadowhawk special
« Reply #72 on: 24 April 2018, 21:09:12 »
so I pre-ordered  the game weeks before release( i didn't get the deluxe version)  but were do I find the shadow hawk ( still trying to get past the first mission ) I keep killing a mech lol.  is it off planet when I first get it or what ? I still trying to get it to work right on my system it crashed 3 times and I am above the specs lol .

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 24 April 2018, 21:14:36 »
Topics merged. Please keep technical discussion of the HBS game here.

abou

• Captain
Re: HBS BattleTech -- how the heck do I get a 'mech out of storage?
« Reply #74 on: 24 April 2018, 23:03:05 »
The mouse-over menu says to press Ready to move a 'mech from storage to the bay to refit it. Where is the ****** button?
I figured it out.

Oh, for the days when you had an instruction manual and didn't need to rely on YouTube vids and fora.

Anyway, when you salvage a chassis, you only salvage 1/3 of a chassis. That means to field a salvaged Panther, you need to destroy and salvage three of them. That is why it stays in storage and there is no button to simply move the 'mech to the bay. However, because of the hardpoint system each variant is a separate chassis. So even if you salvaged two Shadow Hawks, if one is a 2H and the other 2D, the game counts them as different 'mechs.

That is something I don't like, but not exactly enough to stop me from enjoying the game otherwise. Just very -- very -- annoying.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #75 on: 24 April 2018, 23:04:57 »
so, I'm currently unable to play this game, as I seemto be affected by the HOLY HOT GPU BATMAN! bug.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/batteltech-100-gpu-utilization.1091398/

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #76 on: 25 April 2018, 02:11:39 »
If, like me you opted for the download from the humble store, there's a word issue with the zip file. If you open it in 7zip or winrar (and presumably other apps), it won't unzip the setup exe file. It works if you open as a compressed folder though.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #77 on: 25 April 2018, 06:06:19 »
Although the game is pretty and has plenty of stompy robot action, if you turn the settings up, it'll hit lower-end GPUs hard.  I've got a GTX 1060 and it's getting pushed aggressively even with the fans all the way up but the game defaults to "high" for a 1060 and the framerate is fine.  I do recommend turning the fan up to make sure the card doesn't get too hot, though.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2018, 06:07:57 by Moonsword »

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #78 on: 25 April 2018, 14:28:44 »
I'very been at work, but it's usually a display option, full screen, windowed, window borderless it sounds like you are on the window borderless option
There is a windowed option, but that puts it in a window.  Nothing about borders in the game menu's.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #79 on: 25 April 2018, 16:27:30 »
Hey, what multiplayer modes does the game support?  Is there cooperative multiplayer?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #80 on: 25 April 2018, 16:41:46 »
If so, I hope the extra 4GB of RAM I ordered last night keep me from crashing...

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Re: HBS BattleTech -- how the heck do I get a 'mech out of storage?
« Reply #81 on: 25 April 2018, 16:49:43 »
I figured it out.

Oh, for the days when you had an instruction manual and didn't need to rely on YouTube vids and fora.

Anyway, when you salvage a chassis, you only salvage 1/3 of a chassis. That means to field a salvaged Panther, you need to destroy and salvage three of them. That is why it stays in storage and there is no button to simply move the 'mech to the bay. However, because of the hardpoint system each variant is a separate chassis. So even if you salvaged two Shadow Hawks, if one is a 2H and the other 2D, the game counts them as different 'mechs.

That is something I don't like, but not exactly enough to stop me from enjoying the game otherwise. Just very -- very -- annoying.

Actually, how much salvage there is depends on how you killed the mech.

CT destroyed = 1 partial salvage item
Both legs destroyed = 2 partial salvage items
Pilot incapacitated without CT or both legs destroyed = 3 partial salvage items

But even if you get three partial salvage items of a mech, they still count as three items of salvage when determining what you take home from the mission.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #82 on: 25 April 2018, 19:10:29 »
so, I'm currently unable to play this game, as I seemto be affected by the HOLY HOT GPU BATMAN! bug.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/batteltech-100-gpu-utilization.1091398/

Thanks for the heads up on this, My GTX 550 ti is coping but I installed gpu monitoring software which has indicated that it is pretty much at 100% GPU load almost the entire time I am playing the game (include during non-mission screens interacting with the crew, in the mech bay, etc). This is even after I have windowed and decrease the video settings to "low". My GPU seems to be coping but it is reaching 75 deg C, so I need to do some research as to what is a damaging temperature for GPUs. I guess this is HBS's way of making sure we understand how overheating and shutdowns affects battlemechs . . .  xp

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #83 on: 25 April 2018, 19:16:31 »
I have to admit... it seems more than a little crazy to me that a TURN-BASED game is requiring such ridiculous graphics performance.  ::)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 25 April 2018, 19:25:20 »
Feels like optimization issues from a team on a short budget. As if greater granularity to force 30fps out of the engine required technical budgeting that just couldn't be justified in production. So they did some graphical reductions that were cheap to implement but not as effective.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #85 on: 25 April 2018, 19:26:37 »
It's a turn based game... what the heck do we need 30 fps for?

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #86 on: 25 April 2018, 19:44:31 »
I found this information from Nvidia: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2752/~/nvidia-gpu-maximum-operating-temperature-and-overheating

And a bit more googling gives me a max temp spec for my GTX 550 ti of 100 deg C. So my GPU is working hard but not at ammo explosion/shutdown levels yet.

It looks like the issue might get solved with a driver update: https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-releases-game-ready-gpu-drivers-for-battletech-and-frostpunk/

I will give it a go tonight.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #87 on: 25 April 2018, 20:42:54 »
I found this information from Nvidia: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2752/~/nvidia-gpu-maximum-operating-temperature-and-overheating

And a bit more googling gives me a max temp spec for my GTX 550 ti of 100 deg C. So my GPU is working hard but not at ammo explosion/shutdown levels yet.

It looks like the issue might get solved with a driver update: https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-releases-game-ready-gpu-drivers-for-battletech-and-frostpunk/

I will give it a go tonight.

Sadly does not help the AMD crowd :(

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #88 on: 25 April 2018, 21:07:14 »
And on closer inspection the driver update does not reach as far back in time as my GTX 550 ti  :'(

One thing I did read in the Nvidia release notes was that they have had issues with certain software and hardware configurations resulting in GPU load issues when the GPU is hooked up to a multi-monitor setup. I get the impression that the GPU is trying to do processing for both displays even if only one is being used for the software. My PC is running two displays, I might try turning off/unplugging one to see if that makes a difference.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 25 April 2018, 21:40:47 »
ok for life of me i cannot figure how to fix the problem. my copy works fine my buddies does not we both have gog versions.
problem is this after tutorial mission the ship appears on my copy of game just fine with user interface  on my buddies there is no user interface just ship.
i tried few things from reinstalling changing resolution to both windowed and full screen and as per suggestions i found on paradox site i even disabled the av and put game in exceptions.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-am-i-supposed-to-do-after-the-tutorial.1091421/
btw gog has similar thread
but to date i had been beating my head against the wall and my buddy is POD for 40 bucks he had spent and not able to play with...btw he is not a gamer
his specs are better than mine and are double over recommended settings keep in mind not the minimum but recommended settings
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!