Author Topic: Priming Miniatures in an Apartment?  (Read 38425 times)

HMS_Swiftsure

• Master Sergeant
Re: Priming Miniatures in an Apartment?
« Reply #30 on: 18 January 2015, 15:42:04 »
I'm a HUGE fan of Vallejos surface primers.  I use Panzer Grey(or something like that) and have never had a bad experience.  It goes on smoother than gesso, but seems to tighten up to an even firmer detail-grabbing final product.  It takes on a rubbery consistency when drying, so it's really tough too.  Two coats is usually all I need.

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 18 January 2015, 23:56:07 »
I'm looking to get back into miniatures painting. The problem is, I live in a smallish apartment in the city, so I don't know if there's a safe way to spray paint minis inside, and I can't go outside either. Is there a solution I don't know about here?

Build yourself a simple spray booth.

• Take a cardboard box that will fit in the open window (and so you can use the window to hold it in place.
  • Get a 120mm case fan and a 12 volt power supply (universal adapter), wire the fan directly to the power supply.
  • Tape closed the bottom of the box, then cut a 100mm square hole in the bottom.
  • Attach the fan to the back of the box so the airflow pulls the air from inside the box.
  • Get an A/C filter and cut it to fit just over the hole on the inside of the box, then tape it over the hole.
  • Put the box in an open window, plug in the fan and you are good to go!
If you find that one fan is not enough, add a second one and connect it to the same power supply.

Alternatively, here is one of the many tutorials online: http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-spray-booth/
« Last Edit: 19 January 2015, 00:09:38 by Ratboy »
Jim Williamson - CDT Agent #206
NJ, USA

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #32 on: 19 January 2015, 09:07:44 »
If it is frigid out, add space heaters so the cold air doesn't back flow in as that will popcorn your painted surface and there is no fixing that other than stripping.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #33 on: 19 January 2015, 09:15:08 »
If it is frigid out, add space heaters so the cold air doesn't back flow in as that will popcorn your painted surface and there is no fixing that other than stripping.

Yep, why when I spray I IMMEDIATELY remove the mini's from the box. No settling

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #34 on: 24 August 2018, 14:22:31 »
Sorry about the thread necro, but I just found this and thought it might help. Homemade Spraybooth and Filter. That's right. The author shows how to make a filter to catch the overspray. It's more than the typical furnace filters too. PDF available on web page if you prefer that sort of thing.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #35 on: 24 August 2018, 15:46:03 »
Oh wow, that's PERFECT for me! The only difference is that I'd now use LED arrays for the lighting.
« Last Edit: 24 August 2018, 15:49:23 by ColBosch »
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 24 August 2018, 17:08:38 »
totally worth a necro.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #37 on: 29 November 2018, 09:39:55 »
OK. One last thread necro from me. Here's a really nice foamcore spray booth from Eric Strebel. FoamCore model making Hobby Spray Booth work shop or craft area for under $200. The fan is a bit oversized for mini painting, but still a lot of interesting stuff in here.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #38 on: 25 March 2019, 03:00:04 »
Late to the party I know, but just wanted to add for anyone else like me: I live in a tiny studio apartment, one medium size room and a bathroom. I spray in the bathroom with the fan turned on to draw the fumes. I use a medium size U-haul box (24"×24"×24") on its side with a cheap Walmart "lazy Susan" to spin the models as a paint booth so there is no overspray. Been living here for years, never an issue with mess or fume headache.  :thumbsup:

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 10 April 2019, 11:26:28 »
When I lived in NYC, I used to use the parking garage and lots of newspaper. It worked but you did get some trace overspray. Big thing is, make sure wherever you are, it's well ventilated.
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

Register