Author Topic: Base for battle armor help  (Read 5395 times)

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
Base for battle armor help
« on: 01 December 2018, 15:31:42 »
Finally finished the star of these guys I had laying around. Now what base to use? I was originally going to use a regular IWM hex base.

Is there a better option? If so why?

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Sagittaire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Catalyst Field Agent #455
Re: Base for battle armor help
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2018, 19:43:51 »
Pennies work great if you want to base them individually. This allows you to put them on or at the base of a 'Mech that is carrying them.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2018, 19:45:39 by Sagittaire »
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Member of: Southern Ontario Battletech Society Facebook Group

Robroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2018, 08:44:22 »
Was not thinking of doing them as individuals. Now you have me thinking of putting magnets in them to use them together in a hex base or alone.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2018, 11:59:58 »
Magnets might be a problem if grouping them together, because magnets like each other--sometimes a lot.  They're cheap enough you could probably paint up extras if you want to field them both ways.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2018, 12:57:08 »
Ah good point about multiple magnets. Which means I am still leaning to the IWM hex bases for the whole point/ squad.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2018, 11:55:22 »
Well, you could always do something really complicated:

1. Get a steel base and embed a magnet in it to magnetize the whole base.
2. Glue/screw ferrous metal into the bottom of the Elemental's legs. (Small flat head screws like in watches or computers.)
3. Place Elementals on magnetic base. Metal in legs holds them on the magnetized base.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2018, 12:05:58 »
Depends on how well you trim the base of the battlearmor in question as well as which ones,  and how many you want on there.

Starbuck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2018, 12:29:14 »
i put two or three battle armors on a base, depending on size, too cramped doesn't look good.
i am using 30mm round bases for jump capable and 30mm hex bases for non-jumping BA.
standard clan elementals are an exception though. i started putting five on a base, now it is three to five.

"You promised me Mars colonies. Instead, I got Facebook."
Buzz Aldrin

Robroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2018, 12:39:01 »
Well, you could always do something really complicated:

1. Get a steel base and embed a magnet in it to magnetize the whole base.
2. Glue/screw ferrous metal into the bottom of the Elemental's legs. (Small flat head screws like in watches or computers.)
3. Place Elementals on magnetic base. Metal in legs holds them on the magnetized base.

I have been doing some goggle-fu, and if I was going to do the magnet thing I would glue a small washer to the BA/infantry and use a magnetic sheet cut to size.

But the more I think about that I am afraid of losing some figures.

Depends on how well you trim the base of the battlearmor in question as well as which ones,  and how many you want on there.

I would like to do the whole point of five. The problem with the IWM hex base is that it tappers and has a rim around it so I lose some area. I am now trying to look into some round disk, ether plastic or wood, 1 3\8 inch in diameter. This would make them about the same size as a hex.

Just have to find some or make them.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2018, 12:41:00 »
Chessex makes a black plastic tapered hexbase you could nip the top lip off and get a little extra room, or buy flat hex bases that aren't tapered.

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2018, 17:32:19 »
You can get 5 elementals on a IWM base I have done it many times.
You and also find 25mm to 50mm hex bases on line that are flat / no lip

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2018, 18:50:29 »
Pennies work great if you want to base them individually. This allows you to put them on or at the base of a 'Mech that is carrying them.

I do this.

Sure a whole hex base of 4-6 looks like a better representation of the unit, but, its also huge on the mapboard & much more of a pain when moving them on Omnimechs or sharing hexes once they dismount.

A single guy on a penny however works great, especially with the larger hexes on some of the felt maps v/s the cardstock.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Robroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2018, 05:06:28 »
My old group would just put a peace of paper under the infantry carrier saying what unit it had. Trying to stack units in the same hex always seemed like a hassle to me.

I will also look at the flat plastic hexs.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2018, 09:31:54 by Robroy »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2018, 09:23:38 »
I'm not too fussed about having actual numbers of figures on the base for BA. I use a lot of DA BA, which have 1-3 figs per base, and when I'm using IWM or kitbashed BA I'll often use a half-hex. Helps that I use a lot of plastic hex bases (from RPE or Chessex), which are easier to halve than IWM metal.

I'll typically put one assault, two heavy, or two-three medium/lights on a half-hex, but it depends on the figure - the DA Salamander is too spread out, so it'll either be one per half-hex, or two on a whole hex. Here are some examples:

This economises on BA figs, and also allows two BA units to fit in a standard hex, as per the rules ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2018, 10:37:46 »
Put me down in the 'use a penny for a single figure' camp . . . which is why I now have regiments & clusters of BA!  I bought as part of a order 10 stands of . . . Steel Wolf? . . Cavaliers, which means whenever I get them all based I have a Cavalier battalion with a command platoon just from that.  I know I have something like two clusters of Elementals.

We use 1.75" hexes so its not like the hexes are super crowded, but I do put the single BA next to a mech, veh or even the base of the VTOL so that everyone knows its loaded.  Its also fun to see that single trooper sitting at the base of a mech I am going to try to take the leg off.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Jonathan Cyr

• Recruit
    • Baron Munchhausen's Home for Retired Adventurers
« Reply #15 on: 05 December 2018, 10:56:39 »
Facing doesn't matter so you don't have to use a hex. I can fit three on a quarter. Two on a nickle. Just keep them 'touching' if you are using landscape rules or if you're on a hex map I just use the 3 on the quarter to represent the entire star.
"When I was 16, I drove a J-27 ordinance vehicle behind enemy lines, looking for units in need. We found units alright! Luckily they were just as low on ammo as our side." - SFC Oleg Berkovsky

"Don't let her size fool you. She can kick the balls off a bull in zero-G." - Capt. Rachel Emmons referring to Trini Bez.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #16 on: 05 December 2018, 11:09:49 »
Virtually all of my BA are MWDA on their traditional bases, which can get crowded. I have some metal elementals I’ve put on pennies to save space. Aesthetically I’d rather have as many as look good on a base for a particular suit but practicality for playing purposes takes precedence

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Robroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 05 December 2018, 11:18:10 »
I am not worried about trying to save on BA, so 4 or 5 to a base just looks better to me.

Standard infantry I can see more because there is no way you are getting 20 some figures on a base.

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: 06 December 2018, 05:08:50 »
these are some of the BA I have done.  these are just the ones that are on hex bases. I have done some on pennies also.

some are IMW bases, some are Chessex and the large one is Proxie Models.

the Proxie bases are nice in that they start a bit larger then the Chessex and IMW bases. They offer 30mm, 40mm and 50mm bases

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 06 December 2018, 20:30:49 »
I'm not too fussed about having actual numbers of figures on the base for BA. I use a lot of DA BA, which have 1-3 figs per base, and when I'm using IWM or kitbashed BA I'll often use a half-hex. Helps that I use a lot of plastic hex bases (from RPE or Chessex), which are easier to halve than IWM metal.

I have to ask, what are those Mr. PotatoHead Urbanmech looking things.   

I have no clue except maybe Mk1 Infiltrators & I don't think they look like that.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #20 on: 07 December 2018, 01:31:19 »
I use Litko 1.25 inch laser cut wood hex bases. Very close to the size of a Btech map hex, and cheap. I try to fit 4 or 5 BA on each (IS and Clan squad sizes) they can look a little crowded for bulkier suit types, nut it helps me tell units at a glance.
Not the best pic, but it demonstrates some IS squads I've done.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 07 December 2018, 09:59:32 »
What are the tanks and the mech on the right?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #22 on: 07 December 2018, 18:31:58 »
The weapons load out suggests a Commando, but the shape is all wrong for that.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 07 December 2018, 19:46:16 »
I want to thank you all for your insights. I decided to go with the Proxie 30 mm plastic hex bases, but after getting two points glued on I decided to also go with one point setup with the metal washers individually. I picked up some magnetic sheets from Hobby Lobby so I can always put those individuals on a hex if I want to. The last point I'm going to try and do them mid-jump.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #24 on: 09 December 2018, 05:44:38 »
What are the tanks and the mech on the right?

The tanks are Starcraft boardgame Terran tanks that make good Zhukov tanks (2×AC/10 and SRM 6) and the mech is a converted plastic Heavy Gear turned custom Commando. Battletech  on a budget.  :thumbsup:

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #25 on: 09 December 2018, 11:57:00 »
No, that is cool, its part of why I use a single BA and bought a ton of MWDA bits.
Colt Ward

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 10 December 2018, 00:23:07 »
The tanks are Starcraft boardgame Terran tanks that make good Zhukov tanks (2×AC/10 and SRM 6) and the mech is a converted plastic Heavy Gear turned custom Commando. Battletech  on a budget.  :thumbsup:

I was actually thinking those things look a LOT like the Demolisher (Devastator) variant.

Got the quad tracks & shorter barrels & everything.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 12 December 2018, 05:50:18 »
I just had a stupid idea, so keep that in mind when you read it.

Now that I have a bunch of cheap plastic bases I am thinking of doing a couple up with just the ground cover and plant flock and saying it is a platoon of infantry in gilly suits, your not supposed to see them.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #28 on: 12 December 2018, 17:22:44 »
I don't think that's stupid at all...  :thumbsup:

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: 12 December 2018, 18:19:32 »
I just had a stupid idea, so keep that in mind when you read it.

Now that I have a bunch of cheap plastic bases I am thinking of doing a couple up with just the ground cover and plant flock and saying it is a platoon of infantry in gilly suits, your not supposed to see them.

Dude ..... Scout / Sniper Teams  :thumbsup:

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: 12 December 2018, 18:38:17 »
Just have a couple of rifle barrels poking out of bush clumps.

Register