Author Topic: Combat Drugs  (Read 1433 times)

Maelwys

• Major
Combat Drugs
« on: 26 December 2019, 23:21:08 »
So Combat Equipment gave us stats for QwikStim and a few other combat drugs (both BT and RPG stats). They're in ATOW as well, but only in terms of ATOW stats.

So I was wondering if there were board game rules for them (and the new ones from Wars of Reaving) in the core rules, or if they're still sort of orphaned in Combat Equipment.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Combat Drugs
« Reply #1 on: 26 December 2019, 23:24:57 »
As far as I know the only explanation of combat drugs in tabletop play are from the Society in the Wars of Reaving.  There are some rules for cyber and biomods in Interstellar Operations that you could fluff as combat drugs if you'd like.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2019, 23:35:15 »
Tabletop effects would be defined by their AToW effects.  In that light, at best, you could expect Spazz to give a bonus of 1 to Gunnery and Piloting (if the character had RFL within 2 of the next higher modifier).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 26 December 2019, 23:35:28 »
Spazz gives you a -1 to TN bonus, but if you fail a check your paranoia takes over and you have to attack the nearest target, friend or foe.  (So, basically no downside in a Solaris duel or Clan Grand Melee)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 26 December 2019, 23:37:40 »
And now that I think about it, the conversion from AToW to TW ignores the bonuses provided by Attributes, so I'm not really sure if the drugs would have any effect at all, beyond the behavioral aspects Mendrugo notes.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2019, 00:14:35 »
yeah, Combat Equipment gives the BT rules for the ones in that book, I was just wondering if they had ever been reprinted.

As far as I know the only explanation of combat drugs in tabletop play are from the Society in the Wars of Reaving.  There are some rules for cyber and biomods in Interstellar Operations that you could fluff as combat drugs if you'd like.

Hmm. Does Wars of Reaving have the boardgame rules? I thought they just had ATOW rules.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2019, 00:54:39 »
Hmm. Does Wars of Reaving have the boardgame rules? I thought they just had ATOW rules.

No, just AToW.

I wish there were BT rules for Society virotherapies and combat drugs.  Could make some terrifying infantry.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2020, 09:41:54 »
I presume combat drugs are factored in to keep battle armor  trooper operational under the rules and mech pilots awake . The RPG seems to make stunned and unconsciousness a much easier state to get to so I just say combat drugs are already used to get the tabletop miniature  rules to operate  normally  .

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2020, 10:08:01 »
That's completely reasonable given the AToW descriptions of the various medical units and stimpatches.