Author Topic: Vidbatrep: IS Vs. Clan Classic! -ish  (Read 2828 times)

Ouchies

• Warrant Officer
  • Rightly good batchall my good sport. Rightly good.
Vidbatrep: IS Vs. Clan Classic! -ish
« on: 18 February 2013, 22:59:51 »
Hey, someone said lights are only good for scouting.

I beg to differ.

Check it out!

And let me know if the instream adverts are annoying.  The money is tantalizing enough to pay for a miniature after a year or so... plus about 14 bucks to cover the difference.

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
Re: Vidbatrep: IS Vs. Clan Classic! -ish
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2013, 00:17:16 »
Great batrep! I'm really starting to appreciate both Inner Sphere and Clan light BattleMechs. Thanks for doing this batrep!
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

Cambo

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2013, 06:48:07 »
Yeah your the dice gods decided not to like you this game, but I think you were missing 1 factor when playing Clanners.... Their Pulse Weapons.

For example the Vulture C is a great duelling platform, but you want the Prime for that -2 to hit at the extra 3 hexes you get on the IS weapons on the S/M range border, or better yet the 7 hexes you get on the M/L range border, let alone the extra damage.  The range game played with the ER weaponry in the 8/15/25 vs 7/14/19 is fine (sweet spot 15 hexes), but a lot harder to play in my experience than teaching your opponent to fear your pulse weapons.

The 6/14/20 of a clan large pulse vs. the 3/7/10 of the IS equivalent shows why there are hardly any IS designs with LPLs. Though the medium pulse isn't quite as fearful as the LPL, it strikes the balance between weight/damage and gives an amazing -2 targeting bonus.  The medium laser is really the workhorse of the game and there's a reason the Blackhawk S is loathed.

Put another way, the pulse negates a movement modifier of 5 hexes, or eliminates the long range bracket... it should and does strike fear into lights (like that Stravag Hermes) everywhere.

Yes your Puma can and does strike fear with it's 2 ERPPC's but I'd more fear something that can fire a little bit more often, like the LPL variant (B)... Yes it doesn't do quite as much damage, or cause enemies to quake in their boots, but it hits more often, and that's why the guys with the higher hit percentage are more valuable than Casey Jones any day.

Ouchies

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2013, 07:50:02 »
Great point!   O0

I agree completely and think that either the pulse variant or the stock vulture would have been a better pick in this match up.  The ability to swat at that Hermes would have been invaluable.  But as I only had a few high hitting rolls to throw out from the puma and vulture-c, I had to throw them at the good odds.

But despite connecting nearly every time, I couldn't put anything down.  Curse those IS techs.  ;D

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2013, 07:52:38 »
Yeah your the dice gods decided not to like you this game, but I think you were missing 1 factor when playing Clanners.... Their Pulse Weapons.

You will be hated as a Clanner if you load up on Clan pulse weapons, but it does seem the best way for the Clans to take on the Inner Sphere hordes. I don't play my Clan Wolf forces often because the varients I use for the models I have, as seen in my sig, are all pulse boats. I play my Wolves ruthlessly and warn players beforehand about that. Pulse weapons are the necessary advantage over the IS.   
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

Ouchies

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2013, 17:40:59 »
With stock pilots... there is a thread out here about the bell curve and the waste of BV that a pulse weapon is if you take an elite pilot.

Nonetheless I love my pulse boats.  The value of the Vixen comes from its pules... The Warhawk-C is a personal favorite too I might add.

doulos05

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2013, 05:25:08 »
With stock pilots... there is a thread out here about the bell curve and the waste of BV that a pulse weapon is if you take an elite pilot.

Nonetheless I love my pulse boats.  The value of the Vixen comes from its pules... The Warhawk-C is a personal favorite too I might add.
That line of reasoning only works if you're a statistically average dice roller. As anyone who has played me in a game involving chance can attest, bonuses to hit only become a waste for me if they increase my odds of hitting beyond 100%. With an Elite pilot, that only happens against basically stationary targets at short range, something that is in short supply (unless you play against the bot...).
I mean, it's not like once you having something in low Earth orbit you can stick a gassy astronaut on the outside after Chili Night and fart it anywhere in the solar system.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2013, 00:13:35 »

Love the batreps Ouchies. Keep them coming.

I also like your Vulture with the reseen Warhammer arms. I take it that the Vulture is the twin Gauss variant (I forget offhand which variant it is currently).

Thanks for posting the batrep.

Force

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2013, 11:32:25 »
Ouchies, love the batreps.  I had a quick question.  What rules from TacOps does your group use in your games? 

Ouchies

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2013, 15:39:57 »
It's such common play its hard to pick out...

Stacking piloting skill rolls for exceeding 40+ damage, 60+damage, etc...
movement dice...
A LOT of aerospace stuff from stratops...
There is some stuff we have agreed to from tacops but don't use, like infantry digging in and running as a movement mode.

Hope it helps.  O0

Register