Author Topic: Clan Invasion Alpha Strike campaign  (Read 3966 times)

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
Clan Invasion Alpha Strike campaign
« on: 15 September 2018, 18:11:51 »
I recently ran a short campaign in order to test the homebrew rules I had created for the Clan Invasion and ran for 3 friends.

The three clans that were present were the Nova Cats, Smoke Jaguars and Jade Falcons. A single bid for each of the 3 planets was sent in a private email to me the GM and once all were recieved I related the results back to the players.

Wave 1
"Highway to Hell" map

All three clans succeed in their battles with Smoke Jaguars winning the most glory followed by the Nova Cats then the Jade Falcons.

Smoke Jaguars - 7 points (501 - 220    +54% diff)
Nova Cats - 3 points (450 - 349   +22% diff)
Jade Falcon - 1 point (400 - 228   +43% diff)

Wave 2
"Welcome to the Jungle" map

While the Jade Falcons were quite successful in their battle thanks largely in part to a Skill1 LRM Kraken, the other 2 clanners were actually defeated by the forces of the Draconis Combine.

Smoke Jaguars: -1 points (387 - 462   -22% diff)
Jade Falcons: 5 points (450 - 187   +58% diff)
Nova Cats: 0 points (345 - 400    -13% diff)

Wave 3
"Hot in the City" map

The Jade Falcons won the bidding results on the highest value planet and scored maximum Glory points with 7 total which means they automatically won the right to go for Tukkayid as no other result could catch 13 total Glory. The Smoke Jags and Nova Cat ilKhans opted not to waste forces on a fruit less battle so only one match was played.

Tukkayid - 1000 points each
The Jade Falcon reinforced Trinary sat on the outside of a large city while a Comstar Battalion lied patiently in wait. The battle raged on for nearly 10 hours of real time and by the end when the game was called only 2 Clan mechs were left with just above 50% of the IS force were hunting them down.

Overall I was happy with the way the rules worked with only minor adjustments needed on the fly to make things more true to the game and fiction and fair. The only thing I would change is the fact that I allowed myself to be already set up in the Battle of Tukkayid in a 1000 vs 1000 game. As I had a lot of Indirect fire damage it game me a distinct advantage and I was easily able to take out the JF assaults before they got a chance to do any real damage.

I will be posting the rules up in the AS section if the board if you and a group of your friends are keen to try them out.

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
Re: Clan Invasion Alpha Strike campaign
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2018, 18:17:29 »
Highway to Hell

Yes the song was played repeatedly!

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2018, 18:18:18 »
Welcome to the Jungle

Again the song was played several times through out the day.

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2018, 18:19:36 »
Hot in the City

Cant remember if we payed the song as there was only one battle waged...

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2018, 18:20:16 »
Tukkayid

Oh the humanity...

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2018, 18:24:40 »
where did you get those buildings? Who makes them? Thanks.

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2018, 02:26:23 »
The building are a rare find. They actually belong to Cambo Prime and they were left behind in an office that his company was about to take over.

The buildings are actually from a an architect/town planner group so its meant to be a representation of a new area in my home city. So these buildings are unique and cant be purchased.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2018, 07:33:26 »
Related question... where did you come by those hexes?  They look perfect for a project that I've been toying with for a while.

Everyone looks like they were having a good time, so well played on setting up a successful event!
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2018, 02:46:23 »
As one of the players, I found Son of Kerenski's campaign to be something I had wanted to try for many years, i.e. playing in the Clan Invasion era using a form of competitive bidding. I heartily recommend giving it a go if you've got an interest in the era.

Interestingly we ended up with a result not dissimilar to the BattleTech fiction. All clans got off to a strong start, then the Smoke Jaguars & Nova Cats had some setbacks (like Wolcott & Luthien) before the invasion was finally brought to a stop on Tukayyid.

My thanks again to Son of Kerenski for acting as a gamemaster for those of us competing as clans. I'm sure it kept him busy for quite a while!

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2018, 07:07:14 »
Related question... where did you come by those hexes?  They look perfect for a project that I've been toying with for a while.

Everyone looks like they were having a good time, so well played on setting up a successful event!

Check this post out

The handsome fellow on the right of the photo is none other than our very own Jellico. A gentleman AND a scholar.