Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2  (Read 248199 times)

snakespinner

• Captain
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #270 on: 13 August 2016, 05:44:58 »
Great update.
Not any peace for the Falcons as the other clans will still be attacking. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #271 on: 13 August 2016, 06:26:42 »
Two years of peace?

So, the fighting on the Jade Falcon front should start up again just as the first Indefatigable is ready to enter service  [watch]
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #272 on: 13 August 2016, 06:37:56 »
Two years of peace?

So, the fighting on the Jade Falcon front should start up again just as the first Indefatigable is ready to enter service  [watch]

Really?

It's almost like the General of the Armies had a plan, I wonder how fast the LCAF can be rebuilt (and expanded?) now they have ramped their industry up.

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #273 on: 13 August 2016, 09:42:41 »
Very nice update, and wow, at least a whole Galaxy's worth of Mountain Wolves destroyed in the past few months, and the loss of a good portion of their production, they are going need to take quite a bit of time to recover - if they ever do.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #274 on: 13 August 2016, 09:52:00 »
Really?

It's almost like the General of the Armies had a plan, I wonder how fast the LCAF can be rebuilt (and expanded?) now they have ramped their industry up.
Well, back in August of 3104, Burton Davion said that if they pushed the yards, they could have the first Indefatigable complete and ready for acceptance trials in two years, so late 3106. The new peace is set to hold until mid to late 3107, so it's possible that at least one new battleship will be ready to face the Falcons.

My only confusion is to what configuration DC is going to use: I've been working on the Indy for about ten years as part of my Outer Colonise setting, and she's gone through several revamps during that time. And that's not to mention any alterations he's made beyond adding WAMS.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #275 on: 13 August 2016, 12:51:12 »
Well... looks like the mountain wolves are becoming Commonwealth lap dogs now  :-[  this saddens me a great deal

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #276 on: 17 August 2016, 02:09:19 »
Rainbow 6: He may have

JA Baker: She's had one or two changes

Zureal: I was nice than I was going to be originally.  When I first wrote the framework that has become this timeline 3105 was always the year that it was going to come to a head between the Mountain Wolves and Jade Falcons but originally I was going to decimate the Mountain Wolves in this conflict with them losing pretty much everything.

Unfortunately it also killed the Falcons and the more I looked at it I knew that wasn't the conflict I needed.  Instead I bought Wars of Reaving and thought what if the Society won... what if the Inner Sphere Clans were the only ones left... which led to the changes in this timeline.

I then read through the DA novels and mixed with some of my own ideas from this evolving timeline I found a new path to the Mountain Wolves who are still a force to be reckoned with even if they are now a bit reduced in power.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #277 on: 17 August 2016, 02:16:15 »
Mercenary Contact
Kwarmashu, Sian Commonality
Capellan Confederation
9th September 3105

After several years on the Clan Wolf border Daniel’s Avengers Mercenary Command accept a contract with the Capellan Confederation in hopes that it will give them time to rebuild.  The Capellans employ the mercenaries in support of forces already on Kwarmashu helping secure the system for the Capellan Confederation.

Within the following week Iknogoro is also taken by the Capellans with the Daniel’s Avengers posted to defend both worlds.  After the fighting against the Wolves the Daniel’s Avengers have been reduced to a reinforced combined-arms regiment and two reinforced BattleMech Battalions with both units upgraded with Clan salvage.

Subtlety (McKenna-class Battleship)
Nadir Point, Wasat
Star League Protectorate
15th September 3105

“Jump complete beginning scan” Commander America Park said from the sensors station glancing over at Captain Leroy-Dietrich who sat near the helm station.  “All seems standard normal shipping traffic… hold that we’ve got incoming DropShips and they are launching aerospace fighters.”  She said glancing at her sensors.

“How many contacts?”

“Three DropShips from a single Invader-class JumpShip” she reported “we’ve got nearly a dozen aerospace fighters deploying from them.”

“Communications give me direct contact” William Leroy-Dietrich said “helm accelerate to one G thrust.  Launch defence fighters and order them to hold near the JumpShips protect our civilians.”  He ordered thinking of the JumpShips which carried their dependents and the majority of the academies students.  From under the Subtlety’s hull aerospace fighters dropped from their launch bays and turned towards the JumpShips behind the accelerating Battleship more aerospace fighters launched from the JumpShips.  “This is Captain Leroy-Dietrich of the Subtlety we are passing through the Star League Protectorate on our way to Outreach.  If you do not identify yourself and turn away from our position you will be considered hostile and will be subject to defensive fire.”  He said cutting the link “weapons power up weapons on the port side bring them up slow we don’t want to short something after this long.”  He said the Subtlety generally did not use her weapons systems, the Battleship didn’t need to use them, but the crews trained regularly and were ready to use them.

“No communications but we do have tracking systems” America Park said glancing at her fiancée she knew she shouldn't be worried about the fighters and DropShips but she didn’t like being attacked.

“Fine” Leroy-Dietrich said looking at the ship’s weapons systems seeing the most forward particle cannons on the port side of the ship were active.  “Warning shot right across their course.”  He said gritting his teeth seeing there wasn’t an option “fire” he ordered along the port side of the McKenna her long unused particle cannons activated filling the space between the WarShip and the incoming aerospace fighters and DropShips which continued towards them.

“No difference no communications” America said continuing to monitor the systems if they got too close the incoming DropShips and fighters could cause significant damage to the the Battleship.

“Helm turn us into a wide starboard turn keep us between them and our JumpShips” Leroy-Dietrich said “weapons as we turn I want you to bring up the starboard weapons we are going to give them a volley from each.”  He said feeling the McKenna turn under them “accelerate to one-point-five G” he said watching the sensors.  “Port side weapons target that Leopard CV first volley” he said watching them continue to close “and fire” he ordered the Subtlety’s weapons activated for a second time as the McKenna continued her turn.  The naval particle cannons tore through space impacting with the incoming Leopard ripping the incoming DropShip to pieces.

“They are still coming” America Park said watching as the Union and Overlord-class DropShips and their fighters continued to close on them.  “What are they trying to accomplish?  This is a WarShip even if they get close enough to hurt us it will take shot they’ve got a week to break through our armour.”

“They’ve been put up to it.”  Leroy-Dietrich said leaning into the turn as the Subtlety continued to move “someone wants us stopped by any means.”

“And it just happens when we arrive in the Protectorate?”  She said glancing at him “coincidence?”

“Or someone wants us to think it is if the Star League wanted us dead where are their WarShips?”  He said as the WarShip continued its turn “starboard weapons if they want it this badly let’s give it to them I want the Overlord gone.”  He said glancing at the weapons station the officer nodded “and fire” he commanded the particle cannons activated together as one burning through the front of the Overlord melting its armour and tearing the larger DropShip to pieces.

“Aerospace fighters entering their weapons range and firing” America Park called out looking at the sensor data as the dozen aerospace fighters opened fire on them with lasers and missiles deep inside the ship America Park instinctively looked around her for a moment but there was no way she’d hear or feel the impacts from the fighters weapons.

“Bring up our fighters order them to remain in defensive formations and to fire in defence of us and of the JumpShips.”  Leroy-Dietrich ordered watching the screens the McKenna’s own guns were not designed to engage Aerospace fighters “helm bring us around them again.  Port weapons bays on the Union and get ready to drop a salvo on their Invader’s jumpsail rip it off” he commanded targeting JumpShips was taboo but he wanted those responsible to be held to account.  The McKenna continued her turn as the enemy aerospace fighters continued to close firing as they came while the Subtlety’s own aerospace fighters moved in to defend the Battleship.  Another salvo of particle cannons tore through the Union while their fighters continued to strike the McKenna.  “Helm full roll to starboard” he ordered the Subtlety slowly rolled over onto its starboard side Leroy-Dietrich’s idea was to minimize the damage those aerospace fighters were doing to a single section of the Subtlety.  “Weapons on the Invader.”

“Salvo outbound” the weapons officer Kiera Levine said the McKenna’s particle cannons crossed the distance between the two ships in moments striking the rear of the Invader and its jumpsail.  The delicate jumpsail was ripped to pieces by the massive over sized naval particle cannons while the rear of the Invader disintegrated under the fire.  “The JumpShip is crippled…” she said but after a moment the Invader exploded Leroy-Dietrich looked at her surprised “we didn’t hit anything critical the damage was superficial” she explained if a ship being hit by a particle cannon could ever be described as superficial.

“They didn’t want to be caught” Leroy-Dietrich noted as the Subtlety was hit by several of the aerospace fighters which had committed suicide runs against the battleship.  “Increase speed full acceleration and continue the roll make us a hard target!”  He said seeing the other fighters moving into positions where they could ram.  “Direct our fighters against those birds!”  He said pointing at the enemy fighters as the Subtlety began to pull away from them.  The Subtlety’s aerospace fell on the now alone aerospace fighters rapidly destroying each of them clearing the area of hostiles.

Following the attack Captain Leroy-Dietrich reported the incident to the authorities on Wasat and to the Zenith Point Recharge Station.  SLDF DropShips and investigation teams were onsite within hours from the space station while the SLS Republic arrived the following day.  Copies of the Subtlety’s records were taken by the investigation teams and wreckage from the battle-site were also sampled by the SLDF after the briefest of investigations the Subtlety and her crew were cleared of all wrong doing and cleared for their jump to Outreach.

Democratic Elections
Lothario, Lothian League
Periphery
22nd September 3105

Following the assassination of Amanda Logan the Lothian League attempt to hold democratic elections Mistress Clarissa Logan enters as a candidate but the elections are frought with claims of corruption and ultimately the result is contested by multiple factions.  The mercenaries hired to protect the Lothian League from external threats refuse to enforce marshal law as civilian unrest turns into fighting on several planets.

After Action Debriefing
Arcadia, Dixie Theatre
Halfway Province, Lyran Commonwealth
26th September 3105

“Gentlemen perhaps you can explain to me exactly what happened on this planet?” General Prudence Steiner said angrily looking at the two men who sat either side of the table staring at each other.

“We turned back a Wolf incursion against this world” Sang-shao Matt Blackledge said the commander of Blackledge’s Iron Fist Mercenary command sat his eyes not coming off Major Justin Rubinsky the commander of the Rubinsky’s Light Horse.  “When this dog’s force arrived and attempted to claim out salvage.”

“We were securing the area for the Lyran Commonwealth” Justin Rubinsky answered his eyes not leaving the former Capellan Confederation officer.  “There were still active Wolves in the area and as per our contract obligations the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces gets first pick on all salvage.”

“A clause that is not in my unit’s contract” Matt Blackledge said seeing Rubinsky’s shock and anger glad that his unit had one up on the St Ives born man.  “Following an incursion by a hostile force my people defended…”

“Murdered” Justin Rubinsky said inteupting

“Defended themselves and opened fire on the intruder’s lance.”

“You fired on a unit that was also under contract with the Lyran Commonwealth?”  Prudence Steiner asked surprised at the man’s open admission.  “And you” she said looking at Justin Rubinsky “you sent units into another mercenary command’s defence zone?”  She asked pointing out Justin’s failings as well.  “Gentlemen I know that your histories are mixed.”  She said trying to being them together to her level “but you are not both mercenary commanders your past is exactly that the past.”  Both men began to speak but Prudence raised to her feet looking at them “it is simple you are under the employ of House Steiner.  Your mission is to support the goals of the Commonwealth.  Major Rubinsky your unit is to load into your DropShips and prepare to move we’re taking you off the Wolf border.”

“Sir we can prove ourselves” Justin Rubinsky protested the change looking at Blackledge “we can even work with the Iron Fist I promise you.”

“And we can work with the Light Horse” Blackledge said deciding to offer Rubinsky a chance.

“That’s good to hear” Prudence said smiling “as between the two of you I want the Iron Fist and Light Horse to agree what salvage the Rubinsky’s Light Horse will take with them off Arcadia.”  She said seeing Blackledge’s shock “there will still be plenty for your command.”  She promised the Sang-shao.

“Where will we be heading?”  Justin Rubinsky asked curious about his unit’s new posting.

“We are sending you to Clayborne II and from there you will monitor the situation in the Lothian League and follow the directions of your Steiner Liaison.”  She explained the Light Horses integral transport making them the perfect unit for future operations that House Steiner could launch against the League.

“And my unit?”  Sang-shao Blackledge asked annoyed that Rubinsky’s upstart command was getting an assignment that could see them leading an offensive while his command was stuck defending Arcadia.

“Your unit’s numbers and strength are better placed here on Arcadia holding the line against Clan Wolf.”  Prudence Steiner said turning towards the door “now in your new spirit of cooperation I will leave you gentlemen to sort out the distribution of the salvage.”  She said leaving the two mercenaries to complete their negotiations.  Within hours the agreement had been made and the Light Horse had secured a couple of dozen clan tech weapons before they left Arcadia.  It would take their techs weeks to fit to their current Mechs.  And although the Iron Fist would continue to garrison the Wolf border and likely be in line to gain more salvage the mercenary command could also be destroyed by the Clan perhaps some distance between them and the Light Horse would not be a bad thing.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #278 on: 17 August 2016, 20:29:09 »
Good update, the trials and tribulations of Subtlety and it's associated dependents is getting interesting, but they're almost to their destination.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #279 on: 17 August 2016, 21:40:54 »
Good update, the trials and tribulations of Subtlety and it's associated dependents is getting interesting, but they're almost to their destination.

Not their final destination...

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #280 on: 17 August 2016, 22:07:04 »
Glad to hear they're going to live a while longer.  O0

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #281 on: 17 August 2016, 22:10:30 »
someone made a mistake.... the SLDF intel is going to be looking for someone hard.  that happened in there areas.  intel groups do not like something happing in there house with out them knowing. 

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #282 on: 18 August 2016, 19:16:39 »
You know the attack on the Subtlety reminds me of the "old school" Comstar and the Vandenberg White Wings.  They were fully sheep dipped to make sure no one could ID who it was.  And they offered no surrender nor from what I could see any comm traffic.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #283 on: 19 August 2016, 04:17:11 »
Excellent update, and i've just had a thought.

With the Horses agreeing to attack the Lyrans, won't this sudden 2 year peace leave them flapping in the wind?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #284 on: 19 August 2016, 10:18:56 »
The Horses have a more limited border with the Lyrans, and given the size of their touman they could make a fair bit of headway on their own - with reasonable losses - especially considering the damage done to the LAAF already by the Falcons.  That the task group of the 5th is due to show up any time now may not make much of a difference based on the more limited front, though it could serve to shore up the defenses of Arcturus - which could very well be threatened here shortly.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #285 on: 19 August 2016, 11:43:04 »
I'd say that the 5th's Taskforce could actually stop the Horses dead, because they lack one thing to successfully prosecute a campaign. They lack a navy, their fleet is dinky by the TL's standards and is full of simply obsolete ships, with their most numerous being 3 Lola III's.  They want to attack a world, park a BB over it and go "Try it."

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #286 on: 19 August 2016, 12:32:39 »
Good point, for some reason I thought they had a Nightlord or a Texas.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #287 on: 20 August 2016, 06:50:47 »
Speaking of Nightlords.  Dragon Cat a question, Vition2 pointed this out in a discussion we was having.  The Snow Raven has been under refit for about the last 6 years now.  Is that just something you forgot to change or is the Raven Alliance doing something REALLY special to her to keep her in the yards for 6 years?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #288 on: 20 August 2016, 14:51:23 »
She was getting an extensive rebuild of her systems (basically core up) but since the Raven navy hasn't been needed I've left it there my intention was to show that because it hasn't been needed it's taken far longer than needed

I was actually intending on adding a few ships under refit to the list for the Ravens especially.  The reason being that these ships shouldn't be able to keep flying for decades without lots of maintenance and refit - would also let me tinker with the ships a little

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #289 on: 20 August 2016, 15:08:12 »
The Lyran's could give the 5th a hunting licence with no bag limit and just let them loose on Clan Hello Horses; entire Clusters could be destroyed or captured at a time  >:D

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #290 on: 20 August 2016, 15:39:27 »
The Lyran's could give the 5th a hunting licence with no bag limit and just let them loose on Clan Hello Horses; entire Clusters could be destroyed or captured at a time  >:D

Indeed, its what i'd do. One or two big losses and the Horses who are so reliant on jumpships would probably go "You know what..we are..busy..um...sorry we thought we left our ball in your back yard.  Friends?"

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #291 on: 20 August 2016, 18:21:52 »
I wonder... If the ships of the 5th each carried a representative of Clan Mountain Lion, could any Hell's Horses personnel or equipment captured be seen as Isola?  ???

Might be a way for the Lions to rebuild and the Davion to avoid any complications when it comes to Bondsman.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #292 on: 20 August 2016, 18:49:16 »
I wonder... If the ships of the 5th each carried a representative of Clan Mountain Lion, could any Hell's Horses personnel or equipment captured be seen as Isola?  ???

Might be a way for the Lions to rebuild and the Davion to avoid any complications when it comes to Bondsman.

Mountain Wolves and that's not a half bad idea... I'm not entirely sure if it would work but I think I might have just thought of a work around... ^-^

What the Lyran part of the 5th will be explained in the October update when I finish it.  You might even get an insight into what might happen in the future on the Raven border...

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #293 on: 20 August 2016, 19:03:51 »
Mountain Wolves and that's not a half bad idea... I'm not entirely sure if it would work but I think I might have just thought of a work around... ^-^

What the Lyran part of the 5th will be explained in the October update when I finish it.  You might even get an insight into what might happen in the future on the Raven border...
Sorry: could have sworn they changed their name to Mountain Lion. Have no idea why.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #294 on: 20 August 2016, 19:23:42 »
A slip of the keyboard. ::)
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #295 on: 21 August 2016, 02:59:15 »
A 6 year long rebuild? She's going to emerge an entirely different beasty for sure!  And I like the idea of the Bondsmen/Isorla being given over to the Mountain Wolves (although I like the Mountain Lion name :p).

If/when the Horses attack I think it will be a case of the initial attacks are successful purely through surprise and shock but when the 5th SAG arrives then they can stop their offensive dead because the Horses have nothing afloat that can challenge the Davion warships.  On the ground they would probably be a terror to face as its a case of "These guys are not fighting by the usual Clan playbook." with their combined arms approach and love of things like artillery support and infantry/proto combos. 

But they have no real naval strength and are reliant almost entirely on Jumper's to do all the troop hauling as most of their fleet can't even carry dropships, and the warships they do have are NO match at all for a Colombia class and her escorts. 

The loss of a few clusters either as Isorla or being blasted from their dropships will probably make the Horses stop any plans for an attack because all you have to do is park a capital ship over a world and when they go "So...we can haz safcon?" Respond with "LOL NO!" and they'd literally be unable to do anything about it other than scowl and have to leave unless the commander on the scene though to try running the dropships past the Davion warship with the inevitable losses that will incur and affect the campaign on the ground.

This would probably then make the Horses sit down and go "We need something more than Lola III's...GUYYYYYYYYYYYS!" and make pawing motions at the shipyards at Tukkayid.

And now i'm also curious as to what shenanigans you've got planned along the Raven's border.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #296 on: 21 August 2016, 04:43:35 »
Yeah, I'm calling dibs on Clan Mountain Lion: I have no idea if I'll ever use it, but it sounds cool  8)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #297 on: 21 August 2016, 05:22:40 »
Looking at the Horses fleet they have the following

1 x Halycion class assault cruiser-  well armed but still not a BB and would, along with the Marathons probably be hauling troops thus too valuable to risk loosing.
2 x Marathon class assault cruisers - Good and well armed designs but not capable of standing up to a Colombia
1 x Jade Lion - same as above, well armed, maybe if all 3 attacked as a group then they'd succeed but thats a major escalation for them.
1 x Congress - Basically obsolete and not of any use in a battle.
3 x Lola III - Same as above. The Lola's have no place in a battle save perhaps bullying smaller ships if they work as a squadron.
2 x Hakaze class escort DDs - not a clue what these are.

Whats the 5th SAG Consist of?
« Last Edit: 21 August 2016, 05:56:16 by marauder648 »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #298 on: 21 August 2016, 06:16:44 »
Looking at the Horses fleet they have the following

Whats the 5th SAG Consist of?

I don't normally do this but I like hearing your theories and unfortunately this update will be at least a day away if not more... sorry

The Horses have what you listed
A single York-class Destroyer/Carrier

and built/acquired in the last 8 months
1 Jade Lion
1 Marathon
2 Halcyon

The Fifth Battle Group had (at the end of last year)
2 First Prince II
2 Avalon II
1 Whirlwind II
1 Davion III

But before they left Davion space they were supplemented by
a third Avalon II
and 2 Congress IIs

This force is designed to help both the Star League and Lyrans so roughly half of the command is going to each.  I've been working on a separate piece for the Fifth because it's a new way of thinking for the Davion Naval arm (the ramming prows have been removed) :D hopefully that will be ready when the update is or just after.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #299 on: 21 August 2016, 06:43:03 »
That's a very formidable force, and more really than the Horses could muster.

Assuming that it devides into two groups. with an as even as possible split, the Horses have a fairly small border with the lyrans.  I think their first attacks would succeed because its an attack from an unexpected direction.  But without the Falcons and their large fleet to act as a distraction there's not much stopping the 5th BG from splitting and going to the fronts.  And there a lone Marathon or Halcyon simply can't las long against that firepower (to quote a tarp advertising fishman).  And unlike Houses/Clans with bigger fleets the loss of a single warship is a MAJOR loss for the Horses as they simply can't replace it. 

Register