Author Topic: Coming Soon to MegaMek  (Read 267484 times)

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
Re: Coming Soon to MegaMek
« Reply #600 on: 28 March 2021, 13:27:02 »
Hate to keep bringing this up, but that "MVO" should not be there, unless this is specifically a "Medium class, Void suit" formation.  Per StratOps, first printing, page 337/338.  The example is a Davion-yellow BA frame with "MCA" labelled as "Infantry modifier".  Bottom of page 338:

The battle armor modifier consists of a standardized three-letter designation for the type of suits.  The first letter is the suit's weight class, followed by either the first two letters of the suit's name or the first letter in the first two words of the suit's name.  For example, Fa Shih battle armor would be MFS, a Shedu suit is designated ASH and Torando P(AL) as PTO.  Once more referring back to Diagram One, the Forty-eighth Battle Armor Battalion includes MCA at the top of the frame: Medium battle armor, Cavalier.
Just a render to show what will be possible and some of the new pieces, but good to know.
MegaMek Developer - MekHQ, Personnel, and Internal Focus
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Kailan Eidyia

• Recruit
« Reply #601 on: 28 March 2021, 21:07:17 »
Hate to keep bringing this up, but that "MVO" should not be there, unless this is specifically a "Medium class, Void suit" formation.  Per StratOps, first printing, page 337/338.  The example is a Davion-yellow BA frame with "MCA" labelled as "Infantry modifier".  Bottom of page 338:

The battle armor modifier consists of a standardized three-letter designation for the type of suits.  The first letter is the suit's weight class, followed by either the first two letters of the suit's name or the first letter in the first two words of the suit's name.  For example, Fa Shih battle armor would be MFS, a Shedu suit is designated ASH and Torando P(AL) as PTO.  Once more referring back to Diagram One, the Forty-eighth Battle Armor Battalion includes MCA at the top of the frame: Medium battle armor, Cavalier.

Hi! I really appreciate the input and I'm going to try to work in as much of this stuff as possible! I wanted to try my best to make sure that everything from the Warfare Symbology section of SO could be replicated with the new system. I think I included MVO just because it was one of the examples on page 340. The new icons will be as comprehensive as I can make them, but unfortunately they do still have to be premade .png files, and the sheer number of available infantry modifiers, unit echelons, etc would mean including hundreds of extra modifiers. My main goal for this pass was to A) redraw/reposition the force icons to allow for more adjustments without clipping and B) include as many new adjustments as possible before I started to go insane. I'm absolutely all for including any specific adjustments people are interested in!

Flame_Draken

• Private
« Reply #602 on: 29 March 2021, 11:25:22 »
An option for the BA is to just do a one-letter code for the size of the suit instead of the whole three-letter code to cut down on work.  The three-letter coding breaks down once larger mixed BA formations are used and the one-letter coding follows the other established icons in mechs and ASF formations.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #603 on: 30 March 2021, 07:06:58 »
An option for the BA is to just do a one-letter code for the size of the suit instead of the whole three-letter code to cut down on work.  The three-letter coding breaks down once larger mixed BA formations are used and the one-letter coding follows the other established icons in mechs and ASF formations.

That sounds like a good idea.

Maybe something to denote quad suits, since their capabilities are somewhat different from humanoid ones. Say "MQ" instead of "M" for a medium quad suit or something like that.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Flame_Draken

• Private
« Reply #604 on: 30 March 2021, 09:31:49 »
I just had another thought for those more detail oriented and want to use the 3-letter code.  What if there is an option to make your own code by selecting the letters yourself instead of trying to get each BA itself.  Each of the three letters in the code is independently able to be placed.

This would mean 52 letters and 20 digits would need to be made to cover every eventuality for the latter two letter codes and five for the first letter code.  The coding for the placement of the extra letter codes would need to be done as well to implement this idea, so not the ideal solution.

My feelings on this is that it may not be worth the extra effort on the team's part.  The detail oriented may make their own icons if they so wish, its easy enough once the base has been created.  Time consuming though.  MVO bugged me so much as well.

Just 10 icons for BA (five for standard and five for quad) is probably good enough for most people.

Kailan Eidyia

• Recruit
« Reply #605 on: 01 April 2021, 21:47:39 »
I just had another thought for those more detail oriented and want to use the 3-letter code.  What if there is an option to make your own code by selecting the letters yourself instead of trying to get each BA itself.  Each of the three letters in the code is independently able to be placed.

This would mean 52 letters and 20 digits would need to be made to cover every eventuality for the latter two letter codes and five for the first letter code.  The coding for the placement of the extra letter codes would need to be done as well to implement this idea, so not the ideal solution.

My feelings on this is that it may not be worth the extra effort on the team's part.  The detail oriented may make their own icons if they so wish, its easy enough once the base has been created.  Time consuming though.  MVO bugged me so much as well.

Just 10 icons for BA (five for standard and five for quad) is probably good enough for most people.

That was a good idea, and I took a look to see if it would be feasible, but unfortunately the kerning makes it look weird regardless of how I arrange things (since they still have to be static .pngs and can't be rearranged ad-hoc without a code rewrite). It either looks oddly spaced or off center regardless of how I finagle it.

At the moment I think my plan is to make a lot of generic options for people to choose from and (file size limits permitting) maybe include the source pdf/GIMP file so people could easily add their own variants.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #606 on: 06 April 2021, 18:30:55 »
Is there a way to use some of the older images again to represent mechs or choose an image to represent a custom mech?  Many in our group prefer some of the older version’s images or prefer the classic (in this case new) Rifleman over the Phoenix images.

I recall being able to a few code changes, something like “exact” for specific models several years ago.

Stable 48 is glorious BTW.  We’re having so much fun.
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #607 on: 07 April 2021, 09:11:50 »
data --> images --> fluff --> mech

here's what my rifleman images look like

If you want one image for any variant of the chassis, just name it as it is in MM's database. If you want an image to show up for a specific variant, include the model name as well. That will override the chassis-common one.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #608 on: 07 April 2021, 10:20:58 »
data --> images --> fluff --> mech

here's what my rifleman images look like

If you want one image for any variant of the chassis, just name it as it is in MM's database. If you want an image to show up for a specific variant, include the model name as well. That will override the chassis-common one.

To be clear, I’m referring to the in-game image/icon...the one that appears on the map.  Additionally, we prefer some of the older images/icons, that used to be available and in our opinion more accurate depicting the mech.

For example: I used to be able to mod the list to modify the original(?) Orion icons that strongly resembled the Ral Partha mini to reflect custom or updated models of the Orion ON1-V...example an ON3-V.  The mech would be listed as an ON3-V, but use the ON1-V.

To do that now, I need to name my 3-V as a 1-V and there is no longer an option to choose between older image/icon art vs new/current like there used to be.  Or maybe I’m missing it?  Or maybe it’s no longer an option because the older art has been purged?

Thanks for your assistance!  My apologies in advance in case I’m having a penetrating glimpse into the obvious and missing it.

Typing all of this, then correcting errors is a massive PITA on a phone.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2021, 10:31:18 by Burning Chrome »
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #609 on: 07 April 2021, 12:21:33 »
Is there a way to use some of the older images again to represent mechs or choose an image to represent a custom mech?  Many in our group prefer some of the older version’s images or prefer the classic (in this case new) Rifleman over the Phoenix images.

I recall being able to a few code changes, something like “exact” for specific models several years ago.

Stable 48 is glorious BTW.  We’re having so much fun.

There are a couple ways to go about this.

The easiest would be to replace the image and rename the new image to the old one. The images can be found in the sub-folders in Megamek/data/images/units folder. Make sure that you copy your install, or just the change, and distribute it to your players otherwise only your screen will show the new images.

The other way will have you editing a text file. I recommend the above unless you are just adding a new variant(s). The files you are looking for are mechset.txt and localserver_mechset.txt. These are located in your Megamek/data/images/units folder. Scroll or search through the mechset.txt and find the unit you are looking for.

Code: [Select]
chassis "Rifleman" "mechs/Rifleman.png"
exact "Rifleman RFL-1N" "mechs/Rifleman_1N.png"

The "chassis" line affects all units with that chassis name that are not specified using "exact". For variants copy the exact line to localserver_mechset.txt. The portions in the quotation marks are what will need to be changed. The first set is the chassis and variant names you used for the new unit. These need to be exact to what you named it in say megameklab. The second set is the path to the image file from where the mechset.txt file is located. In this case the image is located Megamek/data/images/units/mechs/Rifleman_1N.png. You only need "mechs/Rifleman_1N.png" as mechset.txt is located in the units folder, or Megamek/data/images/units/.

Hope this is clear enough.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2021, 23:25:58 by Stormforge »
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #610 on: 07 April 2021, 13:16:25 »
To be clear, I’m referring to the in-game image/icon...the one that appears on the map.  Additionally, we prefer some of the older images/icons, that used to be available and in our opinion more accurate depicting the mech.

oops! carry on

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #611 on: 07 April 2021, 15:15:05 »
I'll add a couple of things to this.

1) Try to avoid editing Mechset.txt every time you update you'll overwrite the file. Try and put everything into the local_mechset.txt file

2) We used to keep back copies of the sprites but it's a practice I stopped about a year ago. They were bloating the releases. Basically the only way you'll have the old version of the sprites is to dig back through releases. A library of releases is available here.
https://github.com/MegaMek/megamek/releases

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #612 on: 07 April 2021, 22:17:59 »
Small improvement to the bot for space battles:

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #613 on: 07 April 2021, 23:20:27 »
Small improvement to the bot for space battles:

Oh nice!

So how is Princess at space battles now? Have not tried anything other than ground maps in quite a few versions.
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #614 on: 08 April 2021, 19:55:10 »
She does reasonably well. I spent a bunch of time prior to the most recent stable improving her performance (the cause was two pretty dumb things that you wouldn't really expect), so she's pretty zippy. With Newtonian physics she has a tendency to fly off the board and make some unnecessary control rolls, but other than that, she'll give you a run for your money.

With the next dev release and StratCon, you'll get to see for yourself.

johnboyjjb

• Sergeant
« Reply #615 on: 09 April 2021, 13:03:51 »
Is there some option to "dock" the minimap and unit screen instead of floating them over the playing area?

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #616 on: 09 April 2021, 13:43:05 »
Is there some option to "dock" the minimap and unit screen instead of floating them over the playing area?

Not at this time.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #617 on: 09 April 2021, 17:37:13 »
I hope it's optional if it does get implemented.  I put the mini-map and the unit screen on a different monitor.

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #618 on: 09 April 2021, 20:38:55 »
Coming (very) soon to MekHQ, Modernized Rank Systems:
Full user data folder merge implementation, multiple custom rank system support, varied import/export capabilities, file refresh, full validation, plus around a dozen bugfixes.

Note: this does not include a rework of the individual rank levels. I have created a project on GitHub to expand and improve these and professions, although I personally will not be handling it for the foreseeable future as I will be working on Personnel, Force Icons, and a secret project that I am slowly providing spoilers for on our Discord channel.
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #619 on: 10 April 2021, 01:20:54 »
Wow. Multiple custom rank is quite interesting. Thanks for the update!

Asides, will it includes to change the define of officer? For now you can't set a rank officer or not, while the save file do saves it and you may edit it by xml editors.

And is there any mechanism based on the officer rank right now, such as salary table on CO? Else it is purely for fluff?

Although it is not the topic and it is easy to apply, but requires or give some meaningful benefit for forces with enough NCOs and Officers per the size of the unit seems a good option to AtB. I don't have an idea how to actually intergrate it to MekHQ, though. There is a guideline on CO, but that's only a guideline and it only impacts for salary. Unless the TO&E is fixed and you need to put enough officer to 'unlock' the higher unit, but I doubt that it is suit for MekHQ.

And, is it possible to add NCO option for officer tab, rather than true/false? With this you may check some enisted ranks as NCO. Although there is no mention for NCO on CO.

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #620 on: 10 April 2021, 08:48:10 »
Wow. Multiple custom rank is quite interesting. Thanks for the update!

Asides, will it includes to change the define of officer? For now you can't set a rank officer or not, while the save file do saves it and you may edit it by xml editors.

And is there any mechanism based on the officer rank right now, such as salary table on CO? Else it is purely for fluff?

Although it is not the topic and it is easy to apply, but requires or give some meaningful benefit for forces with enough NCOs and Officers per the size of the unit seems a good option to AtB. I don't have an idea how to actually intergrate it to MekHQ, though. There is a guideline on CO, but that's only a guideline and it only impacts for salary. Unless the TO&E is fixed and you need to put enough officer to 'unlock' the higher unit, but I doubt that it is suit for MekHQ.

And, is it possible to add NCO option for officer tab, rather than true/false? With this you may check some enisted ranks as NCO. Although there is no mention for NCO on CO.

As per the note on my post, this does not include a rework of individual rank levels nor will I be undertaking that project for the foreseeable future.
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #621 on: 10 April 2021, 10:31:45 »
Nope, still can't read that spelling of Lieutenant without wincing.  ;D
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

txsoldier94

• Sergeant
« Reply #622 on: 10 April 2021, 14:11:51 »
As things stand currently, Doctors use MW ranks, can there be an option to put them with the other support personnel (techs and Admin)?

Please?  8)  ::)

Dr. Banzai

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube.
« Reply #623 on: 10 April 2021, 14:20:45 »
I know for my campaign, I put the Doctor/Nurse ranks under the MW Warrant Officer Ranks.

I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube. That person is a hateful person that does not represent the spirit of Buckaroo Banzai nor its fandom.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #624 on: 10 April 2021, 17:20:02 »
Relegating doctors to NCO status? The shame!
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #625 on: 10 April 2021, 17:26:16 »
Doctors should definitely be commissioned officers.  That's too much work to merit anything else.  Medics are great, but just not the same.  PAs (Physician Assistants) are Warrant Officers currently.  And Nurses are commissioned too...

Bludlust

• Private
« Reply #626 on: 10 April 2021, 17:50:53 »
I know the us U.S. Army has doctor's as Captains and up. Nurses have been, ALIME, 1st or 2nd Lieutenants.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #627 on: 10 April 2021, 18:02:04 »
I know the us U.S. Army has doctor's as Captains and up. Nurses have been, ALIME, 1st or 2nd Lieutenants.

All NATO armies (at least those I know) have doctor's as Captains and up. Nurses can be Lieutenants but can also have the highest ranks of Sergeants.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2021, 18:04:32 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #628 on: 11 April 2021, 01:58:09 »
ALL regular military doctors are commissioned officer with rank of Captain(or O-3 grade) at least, else they must be demoted after their promotion. I heard that some nations are gives O-2 grade for interns, though, but that's still higher for normal officer who must start with O-1.

Although it depends on the various military traditions, but most military traditions are based on our current era, and I don't think that most armed forces are stupid enough to not respect doctors, thus doctors are expected to start their career as the commissioned offficer. Among the humanity only Clans does if I remember correctly, for Clans doctors are not the warrior caste. But even for Clans, scientist caste is on the high echelon among the castes.

Nurses are depend on the curriculum to classified as either NCO or officer. But anyway they are also NCO at least. The reason is same as doctor.

Unless you want something akin to 'civilian personnel' that is civilian but work for the military, they surely shares the same rank structure with rest of your officers. And I don't think that doctors are suit for this and you should take your own military doctor with officer rank. Doctor is essential to the business which always push the personnel to the harm's way so you never make it without one, and is a profession worth enough to earn the commission. Also doctors with military rank have the authority to say no for ridiculous orders given by the other military personnel, which is an another reason why they have the officer rank. You may a master tactician, but your doctor is the better person if you want any medical aid unless you are also a doctor as well(and you will need an another doctor for you are also need to command the rest of your force).

You may outsourcing the medical service if the size of your company is literally as it is or even smaller. But if you have the force with enough size to have a permanent branch of your own medical teams, you need at least one doctor and nurse each with officer rank. You probably needs much more.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #629 on: 11 April 2021, 02:07:42 »
Well, but for WO, it is not that weird. WO is still an officer(and is have the same authority with the commissioned officers and are not the NCO), and is have the different branch with normal officer titles. Also while WOs are considered as mid to high ranked officers, they are tend to be assigned to the special jobs which needs intensive training and are rarely commands a force. A high ranked WO can even respected as much as a general, but a WO don't command a division, for example.

For armed force level, still doctors are need to be regular officers since they may take a hospital or even a full medical branch, but for low ranked doctors WO is not half bad either.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2021, 02:13:39 by PuppyLikesLaserPointers »

Register