Author Topic: Magyari's Irregulars (3145-era Mercenary unit)  (Read 43138 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Magyari's Irregulars (3145-era Mercenary unit)
« Reply #30 on: 13 January 2016, 08:52:14 »
Untitled Mercenary Expose, production notes

[Establishing shots of Rashid’s house; there’s some in the footage Randy sent us]

Narrator [V/O]: Using a decoy, they hoped to lure their target out.

Governor Rashid Zaydid [Recording]: I told him never to contact me here [EN: These are in Kazakh; obviously we’ll have subtitles]

Messenger [Recording]: I have orders, and you need to follow them too. This is important. Head to this location and wait for instructions.

Zaydid [Recording]: All right; but this had better be important. We’re all risking a lot by your coming here, especially after what’s happened in the last few days. They’re watching me, I’m sure.

[Shots of government car in motion. Not sure if Randy has any in the package, but I’m sure we can just use some stock if we need to]

Narrator [V/O]: The target had taken the bait, Governor Rashid Zaydid leaving his home to head towards what he thought was a vital meeting, unaware of what was really in store.

[Shot of black Lamprey helo over city. I’m sure we can get the FX department to whip something up, or just find some other stock and mess with that]

Narrator [V/O]: Other forces were in play, moving to swoop in on their target and expose the secrets that he had been hiding, ones that could potentially end this conflict… or tear the city apart

Lieutenant Katrya Dernko [V/O]: En route to target zone now. No signs of hostiles. [EN: Get the sound boys to clean this up a bit. You can barely hear her over the rotors]

[Shot of Dernko; a stylish European woman wearing an expensive-looking longcoat]

Dernko: I had no idea what they had in mind, but I liked where it was going no less. We went the extra distance and re-painted my Lamprey in black for the operation just to be sure. I liked it so much that I managed to get permission to keep it that way.

Randy R. Georges [V/O]: You didn’t think it was too risky?

Dernko: Well, we were flying fully armed, just in case. You never know what could happen in these sorts of operations.

Georges: You’ve done this sort of thing before?

Dernko: Let us say that I am no stranger to a hot landing zone.

[Shots of abandoned warehouse; Randy provided us with plenty of those]

Narrator [V/O]: The governor arrived at the target, unaware of what lay in store for him

[Shot of black Lamprey landing. Again, see what we can get]

[Footage of Zaydid from Randy’s material]

[Shots of Randy walking out of helo; again we can get FX to mess something together here]

Georges: We’ve had our eyes on you for some time now, governor Zaydid. It seems that you’re in a lot of trouble

Zaydid: What’s going on here? Who are you?

Georges: You didn’t think I was just here about a dog, did you? We know all about your connection to Sayyid Niyazi, Mister Zaydid. We know about how he’s alive and in charge of the QLF. And we know you’ve been in contact with him.

Zaydid: I- I – [sighs] None of this was meant to happen. This wasn’t meant to get so far out of control. You have to understand that I knew nothing of what he was planning. I didn’t know about the nerve gas, I didn’t know he was going to attack the convention centre –

Georges: You didn’t know that you were a target.

Zaydid: No

Georges: And did you know that there was a QLF sniper watching you as you arrived here?

Zaydid: What?

Georges: Don’t worry, we’ve taken care of it already. However, I can tell that the QLF might not be too happy with you, given that you’re talking with is.

Zaydid: I had no choice! I never meant for any of this to happen, and I had no idea that he was going to go this far.

Georges: So what was supposed to happen?

Zaydid: We… he was going to launch attacks. Eventually, I would serve as a broker to negotiate a separate ceasefire and end the conflict. We would create a separate Qizilqum region on Hamilton and they would be represented within the Free Worlds government.

Georges: And you would be the district governor, of course.

Zaydid: That was the plan, yes. He was going to replace the Prince as leader of the QLF and then negotiate a peace treaty with me. I would be a hero foe ending the threat of that dangerous madman, and he would be the moderate who was willing to work with the government rather then against it.

Georges: It would seem that it didn’t work out, however.

Zaydid: I didn’t know that he would go so far or attack the city. I don’t know what he wants, really. I had no idea he was alive at all. I thought he was dead, as did everyone else.

Georges: But when he came back, you agreed to follow him

Zaydid: His plan seemed simple and direct, and something we would both benefit from. And the people of Kazan city too.

Georges: I’d say that the people of Kazan city aren’t seeing the benefits at all. So then, Governor Zaydid. Where can we find him?

Zaydid: There was a place where we met a few times; in the ruins of the old Qizqualim capitol. If he’s anywhere, he will be there.

Narrator [V/O]: The truth had emerged. Now the stage was set for the last chapter in the QLF’s bloody history
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #31 on: 13 January 2016, 08:57:47 »
Raymond's Roughecks

StarCorps Update 01-08-3075

(I’ve taken the liberty of preparing this file to aid us with our little hound problem. The MRBC info on the Roughnecks is horribly out of date and likely has been compromised anyway – TW)

History

The history of Raymond's Roughnecks begins in the mid 30th Century, when the unit formed out of the remnants of several other smaller, fragmented units on Galatea. Unified under Major Jonny Raymond (himself a veteran of numerous campaigns with the now-defunct 777th Strike Regiment), the Roughnecks were able to grow in the low-intensity conflicts that were typical of the close of the 30th century.

While never spectacular, the unit was more chracterised as being rugged ad reliable, determined to fulfill their contracts rather then cutting and running at the first sign of trouble. The result was a unit that grew in experience and capability, stabilising as a BattleMech battalion with attached infantry support. By the turn of the century, the Roughnecks, now led by Jonny's son, Jacob, were rated by the MRB as a Veteran unit and considered to be both reliable and capable. Its troops also developed a reputation for rowdiness and unruliness, considered to be an acceptable trade-off for their clear quality

However, in 3009, he Roughnecks suffered their first major setback with the death of Jacob's daughter and heir-apparent, Julia during a raiding mission. While saddened by the loss, Jacob also knew that it was a part of the mercenary life and named his son Clifford as is new second and heir. When Jacob stepped down in 3012, citing age and injury, Clifford was accepted s their new commander.

While capable at first, Clifford had been harboring an inferiority complex for years, one that had been fueled by his being seen as a mere 'replacement' for his older sister. Under Clifford, the unit became more strict and authoritarian, with a lot less tolerance for the 'party hard' culture that had predominated. While there was some grumbling and turnover at the senior levels, the Roughnecks remained a capable unit.

Matters came to a head in 3016 when the Roughnecks, then in the employ of the Free Worlds League, were partnered with another unit, Magyari's Irregulars. Major Raymond took an immediate disliking to Captain Sel Mayari, seeing her as being young, inexperienced and unworthy to lead men into battle. While he was a third generation mercenary commander, she only had a few years experience and no prior military background, a contrast that to his eyes made her his inferior in every way.

In one incident, a fight broke out between two of Magyari's MechWarriors and several from the Roughnecks. In the aftermath, Raymond claimed that the Irregulars were at fault, and demanded that Magayri hand over her men to him. She refused, rather harshly undercutting his authority in front of his men. Angered, Raymond became determined to get back at Magyari for what he perceived as a grievous insult.

He took his chance shortly afterwards when both units dropped onto Ford as a part of a raid. Raymond engineered a series of 'miscommunications', including both ignoring Magyari and leaking information to the Lyran defenders, aimed at isolating and destroying the Irregulars. Caught off-guard and outnumbered, Magyari's unit, rather then succumbing as expected, were able to survive and escape the trap.

For Clifford, the fallout was severe. Magyari accused the Roughnecks of deliberately abandoning her men and selling information to the Lyrans, managing to bring the accusation before the Mercenary Review Board. While the hearing cleared Raymond of her accusations of espionage the Roughnecks were still fined and suffered a severe blow to their rating.

A second blow came two years later when the Draconis Combine (who were apparently willing to hire the unit despite their bad rating) deliberately abandoned the unit during a raid on Marduk in much the same way they had Magyari. Battered by the AFFS defenders, the Roughnecks were able to withdraw with substantial losses. With their equipment and reputation in tatters, the Roughnecks were soon struggling for work, leaving them largely only receiving contracts in the periphery that were enough to keep them alive but little else.

After a decade of poor contracts, the Roughnecks were running the risk of falling apart when salvation arrived. Hired by the Majestry of Canopus, the Rougnecks were given generous terms and allowed to rebuild and rearm. The reasoning for this became clear a few years later when they were included with several other mercenary units as a part of the Canopian invasion of the Capellan Confederation.

The Roughnecks initially performed well, steamrolling several of the similarly bottom-feeder mercenary units that the CCAF threw in the path of the invasion. Capturing plenty of salvage along the way, the Roughnecks were at the best they had been in over a decade, coming close to their former peak. However, fate had other plans in store for them when the unit hit Turin, only to find Magyari's irregulars among the defenders.

Seeing a chance to avenge himself, Clifton broke with his orders and lead an assault on the Irregulars position. The result was disastrous, with the Roughnecks' command company savaged and Clifton himself killed in combat with Sel Magyari. Only quick thinking by his XO, Captain Ekon Fashola, kept the unit alive and allowed them to extract themselves.

In the aftermath, Fashola was named commander pro-term until Clifton's daughter, Nina Raymond, was seen as ready to take command. His command kept the unit together and minimised damages during the Canopian retreat from the confederation, and allowed them to rebuild in the aftermath. When the Rougnecks' contract with the Canopians expired in 3040, the unit was in far better shape than it had been a decade before.

Nina formally took command of the unit in 3041, the Roughnecks cycling between low-key contracts during the quiet decade that followed. At the time of the Clan Invasion, the Roughnecks were as comfortably far from the unexpected front as they could be, hunting pirates in the FedCom outback. Eager to avoid any duty that might see them sent near the front, Nina leaped at a garrison contract with the Taurian Concordat, figuring that if the worst came to the worst, they would at least have a few years to prepare for the inevitable.

Instead, after several years of relative inactivity (punctuated only with occasional bouts of pirate hunting) the Roughnecks chose not to renew their contract, instead going for what was seen as more lucrative opportunities in the emergent Chaos March. Several campaigns for minor powers saw the Roughnecks upgrade their technology (most of which was still Succession Wars vintage) while improving their overall level of experience and readiness. It also saw the unit come nto contact with the Word of Blake, who offered them a number of contracts with generous terms, including further upgrades.

The Word also offered Nina Raymond a personal opportunity, one she leaped at. After several years (apparently) working for the Circrinus Federation, the Roughnecks were sent on a series of raids into the Rim Commonality, masquerading as Marian Hegemony troops. Aimed at provoking a conflict between the two powers, Raymond was deliberately targeting Magyari's irregulars, who were stationed on Campoleone at the time.

Following a deliberate assassination that killed Captain Jelek Magyari, the Roughnecks were expecting to face a weak and demoralised unit. Instead, Annika Magyari was able to rally her men, turning back the Roughnecks' force. In the process, several of their MechWarriors, including Nina’s son, Colin, were captured. Forced to flee, the Roughnecks retreated, heading further into the Free Worlds League. Several more skirmishes between the two units occurred before the Irregulars seemingly broke off pursuit, while the Roughnecks simply seemed to vanish.

Since then, the location and disposition of the Roughnecks has been uncle%r. Re(ent inf0rqatio/ $ugxest] thft xh&y ar; #ct!ve *n twjProt^ct0rawz, werk44g w@\h ot&eQ Yn1t> 2s a p*rF og teh "Hou-fjkl/fWk?mZghw!45suv ^ nsv ew? ewye/063 ERROR FILE IRRECOVERABLE Purge (y/n)?

&41t St4*ngtJ

A$ og l4te 3o71, teh Roughnecks consisted of an extended combined-arms battalion. Able and Baker companies both consist entirely of BattleMechs, mostly post-3050 designs as well as a few 'gifts' from the Word. The third BattleMech company, Charlie, was badly damaged in the fighting with the Irregulars and folded into the other two to make up numbers. Delta Company is a mixture of conventional and battle-armoured infantry, again boosted by the Word.

Echo Company is rarely deployed as such, and is usually divided up into individual lances for specific duties. Consisting of a lance each of Aerospace Fighters, VTOLs and Artillery, Echo's duties are mainly concerned with supporting the rest of the unit.

Transportation

While their BattleMech assets have been upgraded by the Word of Blake, the Roughnecks’ transport assets have not been so lucky. At present, the unit is dependent on two dropships, the Union-class Bull Run and the Seeker-class Rodger Young. Both are elderly ships in poor condition, and desperately in need of full overhauls or even replacement.

The Roughnecks lack their own jumpships, and are dependent on the Word for interstellar transport. With the unit's seeming disappearance, it is possible that this transportation arrangement was used to spirit them away to some location within the Protectorate, or possibly one of the Word's secret bases.

Support

After a number of lean years, the Roughnecks have been able to acheive a small surplus in their support needs, again largely tanks to the Word of Blake. An influx of skilled technicians has greatly aided their support divisions, especially given the amount of new technology they have had access to. However, this along with their 'gifted' upgrades has apparently left the unit deeply in debt to their employers.

Colours and Insignia

The Roughnecks insignia depicts a Skull wearing a cowboy hat, and is usually painted on the legs or shoulders of their BattleMechs. Their machines typically wear a brown and grey rocky/desert camouflage pattern with black and white vertical stripes on the shoulders.

MRBC Rating: Wanted

As mercenaries employed by the Word of Blake, the Roughnecks have been declared renegade by the MRBC. Bounties have been placed on the heads of its officers, most notably Major Nina Raymond, Captain Chilke Fashola and Captain Bruce Raymond.

Nina Raymond
Rank/Title: Major, Commander Raymond's Roughnecks
Born: 3011 (64 in 3075)

On the surface, Major Nina Raymond seems to be something of a contradiction. After inheriting control of the unit in 3040, she did everything she could to rebuild the command and keep it safe, seemingly forgoing the personal grudges that had driven her father and his decisions. And yet, after two decades, she abruptly turned around and chose to act on those same grudges, deliberately targeting both Magyari’s Irregulars and their commanding family at the cost of her own unit.

Further investigation has revealed a likely source of this reversal. Around 3066, Nina was diagnosed with Raymond Kens Syndrome, an incredibly rare and incurable medical condition (the name is no relation to the Raymond family, and is instead an ironic coincidence), and given about a decade to live. While apparently keeping this information secret, Nina may have chosen to use what time she had left to resolve their family feud. With little left to lose, she becomes a dangerous and unpredictable opponent, liable to take great risks to achieve her aims.

While her health may be deteriorating and her motivations may be questionable, Nina Raymond should not be underestimated. Years of experience has made her a capable commander, one who is skilled at keeping her unit alive and coherent under duress. At the same time, she is also an experienced and capable MechWarrior, in spite of her condition and the extreme pain that comes with late-stage Raymond Kens Syndrome.

Major Raymond’s current whereabouts are unknown, and it is possible that she may have already died. In that case, it is likely that her oldest son, Bruce Raymond, now commands the unit in her place. Given the situation he will inherit and the Roughnecks’ ongoing employ with the Word, it is likely that the unit will continue to be a threat to our operations.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #32 on: 31 January 2016, 07:45:31 »
QLF forces destroyed, leadership captured
(Extracted from the Hamilton Newsweb)

In a daring assault, Mercenaries employed by the Hamilton planetary government launched an attack on the suspected headquarters of the outlawed QLF. In a swift, decisive battle, the Mercenary forces were able to not only defeat the terrorist group, but were able to capture the organization’s apparent leader and a sizable portion of its command structure.

Following information believed to have been provided by a high-ranking QLF captive, the Mercenary forces attacked a meeting of several QLF cell leaders, being held in the ruins of Qizilqum City. Arriving on-scene, the mercenary forces discovered not only a large concentration of QLF troops, including conventional vehicles and BattleMechs, but also a Mule-class Cargo Dropship that was believed to be providing supplies to their forces.

The Mercenary force were able to overcome the superior numbers of the QLF troops, destroying or crippling numerous vehicles and several BattleMechs, and quickly forcing the terrorist forces into a retreat. During the clash, a squad of Battle Armoured troopers belonging to the Mercenary unit were able to infiltrate the QLF command centre, capturing the organization’s overall leader and a number of other key command staff. It is also believed that several more QLF leaders were captured on the battlefield, and that at least one has since died of injuries sustained during the battle.

Once secured, the QLF leader was identified as Sayyid Niyazi, a prominent businessman who was believed slain by a QLF terrorist bombing in 3132. While details are sketchy, it now appears that Niyazi (60) may have faked his own death in order to ‘disappear’ and take control of the QLF full-time. It is believed that Niyazi’s business and real estate assets were being used to help support the QLF, while his contacts and influence within the Kazan district may have served to support recruitment as well as hamper efforts to shut down the terrorist group.

One such source of aid is believed to be former Kazan District governor, Rashid Zaydid, Niyazi’s brother in law. Following his arrest, Zaydid has admitted to supporting the QLF in exchange for guarantees to limit the conflict, as well as a potential position in a new Qizilqum government. While details are still scarce, it now appears that the capture of former QLF leader, “Prince” Zafar bin Muhammad Serakhis, may have been a part of a power-play by Niyazi to remove his rivals from the organization.

In a statement made earlier today, Planetary Guard Commander Roxanna Zaryons declared “the QLF threat has been effectively ended following this recent conflict. Their leadership has been removed and their equipment destroyed. In addition, we have cut off the source of their supplies and are working to trace their origin. While some QLF elements are still known to be at large, they lack direction and control, and pose little actual threat”

“After thirteen years, our nightmare is over. It is time for us to rebuild, and make a better future for all of Hamilton”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #33 on: 31 January 2016, 07:50:07 »
The Battle of Red Sands City

(From Brush Conflicts of the Post Republic Era; Galatean Free Press)

Acting on this Intel, major Irisz Magyari launched an attack on the reported QLF stronghold, seeing an opportunity to not only strike a decisive blow against the terrorist group, but also to eliminate or capture a good portion of their leadership.

That information proved correct, the Irregulars discovering that the QLF had made their home in the ruins of the old Qizilquam capitol. Several of the abandoned buildings had been reconstructed to serve as both headquarters and command facilities, as well as storehouses for their equipment. Additionally, a large area of the capitol had been cleared and reinforced to act as a landing pad for cargo dropships; when the Irregulars arrived, they found a Mule (Later identified as the Hal Warren, a free trader) was present and in the process of unloading

The Irregulars had a company of BattleMechs, supported by a VTOL lance and a platoon of mixed battle armour. Arrayed against them were two companies of QLF Armour, mostly the older Zhukov and Scorpion thanks they preferred. Supplementing this force was an oversized lance of BatleMechs, again mostly older designs save for a Marauder II, as well as several converted IndustrialMechs and conventional infantry.

While the QLF had a definite numerical advantage, the Irregulars were more mobile, better equipped and as soon became obvious, both more experienced and better coordinated. The QLF's units rarely engaged in stand-up fights, leaving them off-balance in response to the Irregulars’ push. Furthermore, it soon became obvious that the QLF force present were actually composed of elements of several different cells, reducing their overall coordination and ability to work as a whole.

Regardless of how outnumbered they were, the Irregulars drove forwards, quickly closing the distance and bringing the attack to the heart of the QLF's lines. Immediately the flaws in the terrorists' ad-hoc units became clear as several groups leapfrogged their own defensive lines, leaving them strung out and battered by the Irregulars superior firepower. Attempts by the QLF to use artillery to slow the Irregulars' advance were cut short when their positions came under attack by VTOLs, quickly destroying or disabling the guns.

On the front lines, the Irregulars deliberately targeted the QLF's BattleMech forces, aiming to destroy what they correctly saw as both the biggest threats and the likely command elements. In short order, Qutaybah Darya, one of the QLF's long-standing cell leaders, found his Marauder II surrounded and picked apart by several Irregular BattleMechs. An attempt to pull back was cut short when his Heavy Gauss Rifle exploded, gutting the 'Mech. While Darya was able to eject, he would eventually succumb to injuries sustained during the battle.

(Unfortunately, it also left very little evidence to determine where the QLF had acquired the 'Mech from. While it is likely that the 'Mech was built by Irian, how exactly it came to be in the possession of the QLF is unknown)

With their three heaviest BattleMechs destroyed or crippled, the QLF forces attempted to pull back. This retreat was hampered by the Irregulars use of VTOLs to harry their forces, while at the same time providing cover for a further attack of their own. Slipping a VTOL past their defenses, the Irregulars sent a squad of Battle Armoured troopers into the QLF’s command center. Acting quickly, the squad were able to overcome the defenses within, disabling the QLF’s command capability and capturing those inside.

This bounty included QLF overall commander, Sayyid Niyazi, who was quickly taken into Hamilton Planetary Guard custody. Between him and the other captured or killed during the battle, Planetary Guard Commander Roxana Zayros was able to confidently declare that the QLF was finished as a threat to Hamilton.

Analysis of the wreckage and interrogation of the prisoners yielded few clues as to the source of their equipment or the backers of the organization. Nor did it explain where Niyazi had been between his disappearance in 3132 and his subsequent reappearance with the QLF in 3139, even if DNA testing was able to verify his identity. Even the crew of the Hal Warren admitted they knew little, having been contracted to pick up their cargo from a neutral trader and pass it along the line.

However, analysis by SAFE suggested that the QLF could have been a part of a longer-term Maskirovka operation, aimed at destabilizing not only the world but a part of a broader plan to cause disruption and pin down assets. Likely dating back to the 3120s and the CCAF’s secretive build up, a civil war on Hamilton would have forced the RAF to redistribute assets within Prefecture VII and away from the Cappelan border.

With the fall of the Republic, the Maskirovka could have re-started the operation as a way to keep the nascent Free Worlds League occupied and off their borders. If Niyazi was a SAFE operative as speculated, it is possible that he was ‘returned’ to Hamilton when it rejoined the League in order to take control of the operation. This theory gains weight due to Hamilton’s historic role as a ‘flashpoint’ world in League-Confederation border conflicts.

Some of the equipment used by the QLF would support this theory. While the Zhukov and Scorpion tanks that formed the mainstay of their armoured assets are manufactured on several worlds, both are built in the Confederation, and it would be easy enough to "dummy down" low-tech versions of those units. Likewise, the high-tech Arrow IV Assault Carriers they deployed as a part of their plan for a doomsday chemical weapons attack (and likely massive escalation) are manufactured within the Magistracy of Canopus and Duchy of Andurien - both Cappelan Allies. And while the Marauder II was likely built by Irian for the mercenary market, McCarron's trading company has been acting as a broker and distributor for such chassis for some time (As well as being the source of the CCAF's own MAD-4L version)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #34 on: 31 January 2016, 07:52:43 »
From the personal journal of Irisz Magyari

Calling the last few days hectic would be an understatement. Between salvage, prisoner roundup, battlefield clean-up, debriefings, negotiations, talking to more suits and analysts then I’ve seen in a long time and an unexpected contract offer that came out of nowhere from a rep that must have been flown in specifically to headhunt us once they knew we were on-world, I’ve had very little time to myself. I can barely keep my eye open as I write this, but there’s a lot I need to say and I might as well do it while I have the chance.

First up, I'll just say that I agree with Roxana Zayros and her assessment of the QLF. The whole thing being a Mask operation makes a lot of sense, and to my eye would explain a lot. Obviously it's out of my hands now, but I think we can call this one closed. They've lost their leadership, their political allies, their base of operations and the better part of two battalions worth of troops and equipment. That's pretty crushed right there and then.

A lot of this would not be possible without the new recruits, and I think that this last contract gave me a good chance to assess them. I think they'll work, even if one of them might need a little bit of... encouragement to keep his mind on track. With that being said, Randy did a fantastic job of ferreting out the truth and actually running an off-the-books intel operation for me; certainly we may have never found out the truth without him. He and Nikola could make for an effective investigative team, especially if Nikola can keep him pointed in the right direction. Plus, that Uziel is a menace.

I'll just make sure he never asks anyone about a dog license again.

Takahashi, on the other hand, is a man of many talents. I owe him my life, given his rather dramatic intervention in the convention centre and his skills in sawing people in half with a Vibrokatana. It's clear that he's more then just a MechWarrior, even if I'm not sure what that is. Conversely, he does have somebody out for his blood; while its tempting to say that everyone from the Combine has at least one blood enemy (Remember, Ninjas are a natural cause of death in the Combine), there is the potential for it to become a risk. I don't want to lose an officer mid-battle because he's been taken out for some completely unrelated reason.

Lee seems to be e quiet one of the team and more going along with the others. He has a lot of skills too (bomb disposal being a very useful one) but again it's not clear how or where he learned them. I'm also becoming more and more convinced that his Vulture isn't his because he purchased it legitimately, but it'd be far from the first time that somebody acquired a top-of-the-line 'Mech by less than legal means, and (of course) salvage is nine-tenths of the law.

Certainly I've got plenty of reasons to keep them around an nothing that tells me that they're an immediate threat to the unit as a whole. They're skilled, they're an effective team and they seem to have a knack for thinking their way around problems and coming up with unconventional solutions. I'm also going to assign Nikola as permanent fourth to their lance, which will be a change for him. I think they'll work well as a team, both on the battlefield and off.

Speaking of assignments... I'm not going to lie. Charlie Bull's death in Red Sands hurt a lot. I'm just not meant to show it, because I’m the commander, put on a brave face, accept battlefield losses and so on. And while it is tempting to accept that fact, it doesn’t make it any less painful.

Charlie was a friend of my father's, and one of the few of the 'old guard' who were fully on my side when I took over the unit. He'd been one of the best at bridging the gap between those who were against me and the changes I made (yes, you, Captain Grumpy) and those who were behind me. He'd helped me a lot when I took over and gave me a lot of advice and the like, and definitely made me the leader I am today. He was also a link back to my father (wherever he is) which makes it hurt just a little bit more.

Without him, managing the unit is going to be a lot harder. It's not just the logistical and administrative work, or the battlefield command, but also the support and backing; he had my back in so many ways that I can't even begin to count it. And above all else, he was a good friend.

To make it even worse, Charlie had just come back from a long break; this was hia first campaign since rejoining. Obviously I’m going to recruit a replacement pilot, but I can't replace him as a person.

Back to business. Just as we were mopping things up, we were approached by a rep from Earthworks. He'd apparently been bussed in specifically because they knew we were on-world and they decided to make us a job offer while we were here. It was apparently convenient for both our location relative to the target as well here in FWL space.

Apparently, they're determined to abuse their position as a multi-national to work around the ceasefire between the League and the Wolf Empire. They're asking us to it Keystone to retrieve key assets from their factories there which will be useful to their surviving branches and operations while setting back the Empire’s attempts to use those lines. Of course, we'll be acting on Earthworks' behalf and not the League’s, something they've been at pains to emphasise throughout.

On the other hand, the pay is really generous. They're willing to load us up with a good heaping of parts and munitions which is one of the big benefits of working for a multinational weapons manufacturer. The intel on the target looks good too; apparently the Wolves have left only a Cluster of green and reject troops to guard one of their key factories for whatever reason. I cannot begin to imagine why.

Of course, in this age of no HPGs, I have to wonder just how recent that intel is.

Okay, enough rambling. We have a bit of downtime before we leave for Keystone, so I'm determined to take advantage of it and get some sleep.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #35 on: 31 January 2016, 07:54:39 »
5th Wolf Garrison Cluster (Kappa Galaxy)

RAF Intel report; 01-01-3145

Much like the rest of the Empire’s Kappa Galaxy, the 5th Wolf Garrison Cluster has both spent years as a target for the Rasalhauge Dominion while also remaining near the bottom of the Empire’s supply chain. Even after the formation of the Wolf Empire, the Cluster has remained heavy with vehicles and conventional infantry, with very few BattleMechs or Battle Armour to speak of.

The 5th has the added disadvantage of being at the bottom of Kappa's food chain for new recruits and replacement crews. It only receives the rawest of recruits and those that the other Clusters have allready rejected, leaving it both with poor quality and inexperienced warriors, but also mounting morale and discipline problems. Star Colonel Angela has repeatedly requested new transfers, but the simple fact that the 5th is the closest cluster to full strength in Kappa has undermined her case.

To compound these problems, the 5th has been assigned to guard the vital factory world of Keystone, making them a prime target for potential raids, or any League efforts to reclaim their lost worlds. Despite the cease-fire between the Empire and the FWL, the result is a feeling of being in the crosshairs, one that has not helped the unit's morale situation any. Keystone’s polluted atmosphere also limits the unit’s effectiveness; its infantry are dependent on life-support equipment to operate outside, effectively tying them to either sealed structures or their transports. Similarly, its vehicles are vulnerable to hull breaches, making their commanders reluctant to commit to action.

Presently, intelligence suggests that the 5th has been divided into Binary/Trinary-sized units to cover specific parts of the expansive and sprawling Earthworks facilities. Its few BattleMech forces are held as a quick reaction reserve force to bolster defences as needed or deal with the largest possible threats, but it is questionable how effective such a small force would be in the face of a full-scale invasion. For now, the 5th’s greatest strength lies simply in the lack of an opponent who can readily threaten them.

Binary Bravo
Officially a trinary on paper, Bravo has been under strength for decades as a result of Kappa's unfailingly bad supply situation. To make matters worse, some of its equipment is so old as to predate operation REVIVAL, and requests for replacements have fallen on deaf ears. One Star Captain was said to have a request turned down with a note of "If we gave you anything new, then the Bears would just destroy it", to which he simply replied to say that "this is why we can't have nice things".

Under the current structure of the Binary, Armour One acts as both a command unit and its main offensive punch. Equipped mainly with heavy tanks, the Star concentrates on firepower at the expense of mobility.  Conversely, Armour Two is tasked mainly with transporting and working in support of the Clusters infantry assets, several ancient APCs giving it ample capacity. Both stars are expected to remain close to their designated operational bases, simply due to the limitations of operating in such a hazardous and polluted environment.

The Binary's problems are not helped any by their commander. Star Captain Svetlana is a resentful, burned-out Trueborn who failed their Trial of Position to become a MechWarrior. That she is a Kerensky only makes her even more embittered, leading to her taking out her frustrations on her troop and only contributing to the unit’s morale issues. Her command style consists mainly of shouting, and her soldiers follow less out of loyalty and more out of a desire not to contradict her or make things any worse.

Conversely, Star Commander Ralphus is her polar opposite. A freeborn from the old Wolf Clan OZ, being selected for combat training was a massive improvement to his life. Managing to somehow work his way up to Star Commander, he has remained jovial and friendly towards those under his command. However, he also lacks in ambition, and as such rarely will do anything more the the minimum needed in a given situation.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #36 on: 31 January 2016, 07:58:36 »
Mercenary Raid on Keystone

RAF Intel Intetcept 3145-215132-Alpha

To: Galaxy Commander Robert Magnus, Grey Keshik
Subject: Mercenary Raid on Keystone

Galaxy Commander, this report is to update you on the status of our forces following the recent mercenary raid on Keystone, specifically targeting the Earthworks Complex.

The mercenary Force is believed to have jumped in-world from a pirate point, its position unknown but likely provided by Earthworks informants who were familiar with the system. The mercenaries proceeded in-system, using Ea (Keystone’s Moon – Editor) to shield their approach. By the time we were in position to properly respond to their approach, they were already making planetfall.

Once landed, the mercenaries divided into lance-sized forces, striking simultaneously at different Earthworks sites. Based on both their movements and their targets, it is apparent that the enemy forces were deliberately targeting specific objectives. The mercenaries, composed of BattleMech forces supported by VTOLs and Battle Armour, engaged elements of Bravo, Charlie (Vehicle Binaries – Editor) and Delta (Conventional Infantry Trinary – Editor) arrayed in defense of the facilities.

I will not mince words, Galaxy Commander. The results would have been farcical had they not been our own tourman. The poor quality of the ‘Warriors’ (And I use the term with the broadest possible advice) and the cast-off equipment they were armed with resulted in something that was less then a battle and more of a one-sided slaughter of our troops. The dezgra mercenaries thrashed the surats under my command, suffering almost negligible losses in return.

Binary Bravo lost fourteen of its twenty vehicles, with most of those being unsalvageable or complete wrecks. Star Commander Ralphus survived the battle simply because his Athena was left immobilized and was bypassed, while Star Captain Svetlana will require extensive surgery before being combat-worthy again. Of the crews, 55% were killed or wounded, a situation exacerbated by Keystone’s polluted atmosphere which did as much harm to the crews as the enemy fire.

Binary Charlie lost six vehicles, with the losses being limited simply because only one of its stars made contact with the enemy. Unfortunately, the force of light BattleMechs it faced simply out-maneuvered and bypassed them with little effort. Even then, 35% of Charlie’s personnel were wounded or killed.

Trinary Delta supported both units in the course of the engagement. This cost them 70% of their men dead or wounded, many the results of breached environment suits and atmospheric exposure that would not have otherwise affected them.

In addition, the raiders were able to reach their objectives and were largely unrestrained from engaging in an open looting spree. They were able to remove hundreds of tons of parts and supplies, as well as “evacuate” key personnel, blueprints and other information. Analysis of the losses indicates that the damage was very specifically targeted, again suggesting that Earthworks themselves had planned the operation. We estimate that Tomahawk II production will be delayed by at least three months as a result.

The only thing that may have impaired the mercenaries’ looting spree was the intervention of a Binary from the 13th Wolf Guard Battle Cluster. On world for reasons that I am not able to reveal (Orders came from Star Colonel Don Cooper (commander 13th Wolf Guard Battle Cluster – Editor) and were undersigned by Star Colonel Omar Hawker (aide, Beta Galaxy Command), the Binary chose to intervene in the assaults only after it became apparent that my own men were not able to handle it. Even then, all they did was merely speed departure.

And as for the mercenaries, did they pay a price in blood for their assault, quineg? No; their losses amounted to a pair of Battle Armour troopers killed in action. Two of their trucks were also destroyed, with a third one immobilized and abandoned in the field.

Let me reiterate that. Two Battle Armour Troopers and three trucks against twenty tanks and eighty-seven infantry, not to mention the cost in lost production from Earthworks. My forces were nearly powerless to stop them, and only intervention from a Beta Galaxy binary seemed to slow them down.

Galaxy Commander, this is a situation that should not have been allowed to happen. Keystone is a vital world to the Empire’s production; even if it is only able to produce inferior Spheroid technology, then it is still a source of replenishment to our tourman. The Empire can ill-afford any disruption, and yet, my unit is in a poor position to prevent that from happening.

I am well aware of Kappa’s poor position in the Empire’s standing; our spending decades as fodder for the Bears has left us in a precarious position even after our relocation. The 5th in particular has fared badly, and has remained the destination for only the worst recruits and equipment available. And yet, we are solely responsible for the defense of a key world. Galaxy Commander, this situation cannot be allowed to continue. If a disaster like this were to repeat itself on Kaldassia or even Thermopolis, then the damage to the empire could be devastating

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #37 on: 31 January 2016, 08:00:47 »
From the personal journal of Mechwarrior Isaak

I have never been so disgusted at dezgra Spheroids and their lies as I am now! It is not bad enough that they lack honour, but their efforts at twisting our traditions to their own ends show just how truly contemptible and barbarous they are!

Black Fang Binary were on Keystone on the orders of our Star Colonel; however, when a force of spheroid barbarians attacked our factories, we chose to intervene. It proved to be necessary; the inept sibko washouts of the 5th Garrison Cluster were completely incapable of stopping them, showing just how worthless they truly were. Our star dropped in pursuit of one of the mercenary lances, swiftly catching up with them. My Lobo, the lightest and fastest of us, led the charge.

I am no stranger to battle with freebirth spheroids, and have faced dezgra mercenaries before on many occasions. I knew them to be honourless, and have no respect for zellbrigen, rather fighting as honourless packs, revelling in their inferiority to us. So then, when I was confronted by a mercenary Uziel, I knew that the so-called warrior inside of it would not display the slightest shred of honour. My plan was to simply brush past him and then destroy the vehicles that they would use to loot our factories.

What instead happened surprised me. The Uziel’s pilot challenged me to a duel, something that I should have normally dismissed as a dishonourable attempt to abuse our traditions. Instead, he spoke with such conviction, such passion, that it seemed that he was genuine in his desire for a duel. How could I resist? A chance at an honourable battle, a victory that could add to my codex and bring honour to my name and my blood house? It was a perfect opportunity!

(GM’S NOTE: Randy got an exceptionally good acting roll, combined with his charisma bonus and his gregarious trait. He sold that fake duel)

And so we fought. At first it seemed that I had the upper hand, as my lasers were able to carve armour from his ‘Mech while his were far less accurate. He responded by jumping away, while I pressed the pursuit through the polluted wastelands of the factory outskirts. I briefly caught him, only to watch as he used his jump jets to escape once more.

It was then that I realised that the vehicles that they were escorting had escaped, slipping past my pursuit while I was focused on our duel.

His dishonour is unforgiveable. Randy R. Georges, wherever you may be, know this. I will hunt you down and I will avenge myself upon you, no matter where you may be. This, I swear.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #38 on: 31 January 2016, 08:05:09 »
Kamenz Archonette

Background

Landgrave Karl Pelzer, ruler of Kamenez, was one of the nobles who openly spoke out against Archon Trillian Steiner and her policies. As ruler of a world bordered both by the newly formed Wolf Empire and the resurgent Free Worlds League, he felt that her polices and leadership were putting vulnerable worlds (like his) at further risk of predation. Even after the quelling of a near-rebellion, he remained strongly opposed to her rule, especially after his world was left without any LCAF garrison units.

In response to this, Pelzer opted to take matters into his own hands. Mustering the support of several local guard units, Pelzer staged a coup, taking control of the planet and imprisoning or killing most of the ruling council. From there, he declared himself leader of the Kamenz Archonette, inviting other nearby worlds to join him in forming an independent state within the Commonwealth.

Even as his offer went out, forces loyal to the legal government (and the Commonwealth) mustered on Kamenez in an effort to restore order and end Pelzer’s illegal takeover. Their efforts were cut short by the arrival of mercenary units in Pelzer’s employ who quickly overpowered the local forces. With local resistance effectively neutralised, the new Kamenez government looked to consolidation and seeking allies.

While as yet no other worlds have joined the rebel Archonette, the Lyran government, as well as the embattled Bolan Province, are definitely concerned about the risk of the revolution spreading to other worlds. The factory world of Loburg, less than a jump from Kamenez, is considered to be an especially high risk, given the Commonwealth’s current precarious state. At the same time, the depleted LCAF does not have the forces to spare to deal with an internal matter, given how thinly stretched its forces are over numerous hostile frontiers.

Present Situation

While the mercenary units hired by Landgrave Pelzer ended organised resistance to the Archonette, they have not ended the fighting on-world. Pockets of resistance still exist across the world, however these forces lack in heavy equipment and organisation, and so far have proved to be little more than a nuisance to the self-declared Archonette.

Pelzer has further hampered to depose him through maintaining a surprisingly low profile. Rather than rule the world from the planetary capitol, he has chosen to relocate his seat of power on the thinly populated island continent of Saxony. Even then, he has been rather elusive, apparently running the planetary government from an unknown, remote location in the continent’s interior.

Attempts to locate Pelzer have been hampered by the history of the continent and its geography. During the Star League, the SLDF and FWLM constructed numerous supply depots across the continent. During the first succession war, the retreating FWLM used nuclear weapons to destroy them rather then letting the Lyran forces have access to those resources. The result is the continent is scattered with ruins, many of which have never been fully documented.

The rest of the Saxony continent mostly consists of small village and farmers, save for the southern coast. In the years following the Jihad, the region saw some rehabilitation and became something of a tourist destination, and is now scattered with resort towns as well as a recently expanded drop-port. The continent itself also provides ample opportunities for concealing a force, with a number of dormant or active volcanoes breaking up its prominent grasslands.

FORCE LISTING

While not complete, the following list covers key units loyal to the Kamenez Archonette government. Aside from the units listed below, it is known that the Kamenez government has been actively trying to raise new units from the local populace. A lack of local heavy manufacturing has hampered efforts to arm these groups, but irregular forces or the presence of armed IndustrialMechs should not be discounted.

781st Kamenz Rifles
Green/Questionable
Commander:
Colonel Bernahrd Proll

The 781st is a conventional infantry regiment, made up mostly of reservists and inexperienced weekend warriors. However, its leadership includes several veteran officers with actual combat experience, giving the unit a degree of coordination and resolve that it would otherwise lack. However, the unit's actual battlefield value remains questionable, given that it is made up almost entirely of foot infantry with light weapons. In an effort to bolster its otherwise dubious strength as well as aid it in riot control and counterinsurgency operations, the 781st has recently received several SecurityMechs to serve as infantry support.

Leipzig Light Guards
Regular/Reliable
Commander:
Colonel Helga Strakken

Baroness von Strakken was apparently one of Pelzer's early and strongest supporters, bringing with her one of the most important assets for his force. The Leipzig Light Guards is the world’s only standing armour unit, composed mostly of light and medium tanks. While there are some new vehicles in the Light Guards’ ranks, many of them predate the Clan Invasion. However, Colonel Strakken is a harsh taskmaster, one who tends to drive her men hard and, as such, squeeze every last drop of performance out of her limited arsenal.

Lusatian Highlanders
Regular/Reliable
Commander:
Landgrave Karl Pelzer

The only BattleMech unit on Kamenez (at least, the only indigenous one) the Lusitanian Highlanders have served largely as a parade ground unit for the planetary defence forces for the better part of two centuries. Composed of noble scions with nothing better to do and augmented with a few LCAF veterans, the unit’s main strength lies in its lack of comparable opposition. Since the coup, they have served as Pelzer’s bodyguard unit on the few occasions that he has been publicly seen. The dozen ‘Mechs in the unit consist of a mixture of older Lyran designs with some FWL salvage sprinkled among them.

Isling’s Incinerators
Veteran/Questionable

See main MRBC article for details

Carson’s Carnivores
Veteran/Reliable

See main MRBC article for details

Pelzer, Karl
Rank/Title:
Landgrave, leader of Kamenez Archonette
Born: 3081 (64 in 3145)

Background:
The Pelzer family have ruled Kamenez since the Lyrans took control of the world in the first Succession War, appointed by the then-Archon as a reward for their role in the conquest. Karl Pelzer was the legal ruler of the world, having inherited the title after his father was killed in a hunting accident in 3131. Prior to that, he had served in the LCAF, reaching the rank of Kommandant in the Bolan Jaegers (A rank earned both through his experiences and his social position). During his service, Karl was involved in several skirmishes on the former FWL border; in fact, he was in the middle of one operation when he was recalled due to his father’s death.

Karl was fresh to his rule of the world when the Blackout occurred, an event that clearly shaped his reign. While Kamenez was safely removed from any borders, Pelzer none the less was concerned about the uncertain situation that the Inner Sphere had been plunged into. He ordered a build up of the world’s military forces and an increase in training in order to prepare his world for the worst. The disintegration of the Republic and the establishment of the Fortress only seemed to prove his point.

The formation of the Wolf Empire and subsequent ravaging of the Commonwealth seems to have become a catalyst of sorts, forcing him into action. On observation, it appears that Pelzer is not acting out of any greed or power-grab, but at his heart has a genuine desire to protect his world and is willing to do such by any means he deems necessary. However, at the same time, he is placing that desire before the Commonwealth as a whole.

Karl feels that as a noble, he is superior to those around him and has the right to lead, in many ways, a typical product of the Lyran system. However, within that, there seems to be more than a tinge of paranoia. His decision to lead his new government from secrecy suggests that something may be amiss, a weakness that could yet threaten his new government.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #39 on: 31 January 2016, 08:28:32 »
Isling’s Incinerators

MRBC Update 01-01-3145

History
Initially formed as Tobruk's Torches, the unit first emerged from the seedy underside of the Galatean mercenary community at the turn of the century. Poorly equipped and composed of a dubious mix of cast-offs, unemployed warriors and the seemingly desperate, the Torches chose to play to the few strengths that they possessed.  Billing themselves as a counterinsurgency and 'scorched earth' unit, the Torches managed to land contracts in low-level periphery and minor conflicts that allowed them to survive and grow.

Within a decade, the Torches had managed to grow into a mixed battalion of infantry and armour, focusing on property destruction and intimidation. Field experience and combat attrition had weeded out the worst of the initial crew, leaving a corps of capable and skilled soldiers that also knew the limits of their unit. Despite several brushes with the review boards over potential contract breaches (usually not responding to enemy forces outside of those clearly defined by their contracts) and questionable actions (typically in response to insurgent targets) the Torches built a reputation for being willing and able to take jobs that other units shied away from.

The Blackout gave the Torches a real chance to shine, the brushfire conflicts that sprung up across the Republic providing them with ample work. Initial successes allowed the unit to grow further, adding a BattleMech lance and expanding their support elements, while also allowing much needed upgrades of obsolete equipment.

However, success nearly turned to disaster during an operation to clear out pro-Swordsworn forces on Algot in early 3134. Major Jin Tobruk was killed by an insurgent sniper, decapitating the unit and leaving it unable to cope with a sudden Swordsworn counterattack. Fortunately, Markus Isling, the recently hired BattleMech commander was able to step in, taking control of the unit and pull it out while minimising losses. After taking control of the unit with the approval of its other surviving officers (and some rumoured bribes and threats), he was able to recoup losses and rebuild.

After several years of fighting in the Republic Territories, the now re-branded Incinerators dropped out of sight for a few months, only to resurface in early 3137 on Galatea with suddenly expanded financial reserves. In the last couple of years, the Incinerators have seen a lot of work for Lyran interests, targeting assets left behind in the Falcon and Wolf advances to deny them to the Clans. Rumours also persist that they have been approached by the GDL in preparation for a "worst case" scenario.

Force Strength
After their dramatic growth in the 3130s, the Incinerators have remained stable as an oversized battalion. Fireball company acts as a command unit, and is rarely deployed as a whole. Rather, its separate BattleMech, Battle Armour and VTOL assets are usually used as needed in support of other elements. Firestorm Company is the main offensive punch of the unit, consisting of medium tanks, specifically those geared to anti-infantry use. Firestarter company often acts in direct support to root out enemy forces. Armed with portable plasma weapons and incendiary grenades, the so-called "Corona" platoons specialise in incendiary warfare. Finally, Firelight company act as reserves and are often deployed for clean-up and security duties.

While potent when used against enemy infantry and other soft targets, the Incinerators are no match for most BattleMech or armoured units. If faced with heavy opposition, they will typically split their forces, trying to draw off and tie up the enemy while the remainder of their troops reach the objective.  The Incinerators will often use fire as a weapon to turn things to their advantage, such as burning forests, grasslands, crops or settlements to provide cover or a distraction.

Support
At some stage, Isling converted his cash reserves into hard currency and supplies, leaving the Incinerators well equipped against future contingencies. Not only are they currently covering their maintenance needs, but they also have a good reserve of parts and assets to fall back on. As yet, investigations into the source of these reserves have come up empty-handed, with some hitting the literal wall of Fortress Republic.

Transport
The Incinerators sole dropship is the Firebird, a Condor-class transport. In reasonable condition, the ship is nonetheless considered a weak link in the unit, given its questionable armaments and lack of fighter capacity. While the ship does need to be upgraded or replaced, so far it does not seem to be a priority for the unit.

Colours and Insignia
The Incinerators use 'Mechs are painted with red-yellow patterns on the arms and legs, fading to charcoal on the torsos to suggest flames and smoke. On vehicles, the colours are similar, with the flames at front fading to the rear. The insignia of the Incinerators is a simple fire hazard warning.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #40 on: 31 January 2016, 08:30:12 »
Carson’s Carnivores

MRBC Update 01-01-3145

Carson's Carnivores insignia

Carson’s Carnivores grew out of the Jihad, formed from a collection of battered, barely functional mercenary commands that had managed to survive the conflict, some represented by only a single warrior. Drawn together by Claude Carson, himself a mercenary who had fought in the Clan Invasion and nearly every conflict since, he managed to form a coherent whole out of the hodge-podge mess that he’d been presented with.

The resultant unit, dubbed the Carnivores, saw their trial by fire in the early 3080s. Hired by the LCAF, the unit was sent to hunt pirates from the shattered Circrinus Federation that had been threatening border worlds. The low intensity conflicts, oft with groups that were more desperate then they were, served to help bring the Carnivores together as a unit, while netting them salvage that was used to build up their strength.

By the turn of the century, the Carnivores were a solid and coherent unit, a far cry from their origins after a remarkably short period of time. Now under the command of Claude’s daughter, Claire, the Carnivores stability was threatened by a new opponent, in the form of the slow winding down of conflicts that occurred over the next few decades. The Carnivores responded by restructuring, reducing the size of the unit while weeding out older or less capable ‘Mechs. The result was that the unit was almost entirely composed of the most modern designs. Even older ‘Mechs, such as Carson’s Ostol, received upgraded technology.

The collapse of the HPG network and the sudden explosion of activity saw the Carnivores thrown back into action, exposing weaknesses in their upgrades. While their equipment was capable, many of their crews were inexperienced, having seen little action in the last decade. As such, the unit suffered several defeats against supposedly inferior opponents, blunting its resolve. It was only after Connor Carson took control of the unit that he was able to turn things around.

After a six-month retraining program, the Carnivores emerged in 3134 as a leaner but more capable unit, just as the conflicts raging inside the Republic began to escalate. The improved Carnivores rose to the challenge, fighting for and against different forces across several Prefectures. After the declaration of Fortress Republic, the Carnivores found themselves looking for bigger jobs in the growing conflicts spreading across the entire Inner Sphere.

Force Strength
In the last few years the Carnivores have managed to return to their full strength of a combined-arms battalion with air support. Fang Company is made up entirely of BattleMechs and includes the Battalion Command. While lacking in Clantech, most of the unit’s ‘Mechs are modern designs with an emphasis on speed and mobility, allowing them to move fast and hit hard. Fang usually leads any assaults, supported by Claw Company’s slower-moving tanks.

Talon Company rarely acts as a coherent whole, instead being divided into both fighter and VTOL units. Often, the VTOL support lance is attached to Claw Company as a fourth lance, which has lead to suggestions of converting Claw into an oversized company full time. Beak Company, composed of both Battle Armour and conventional infantry, is usually used in support of Claw and Fang companies, although its conventional infantry assets often serve as support and security units.

Support
Careful management by Carson has resulted in the Carnivores having a strong support infrastructure and deep supply reserves. Anticipating the 3139 currency crash, Carson took to hoarding supplies and ammunition, a tactic that paid off in the long-term. Carson usually will also take supplies and salvage as an alternative to currency in contract payments to ensure his units continual operations.

Transport
The Carnivores’ sole dropship is the Apex, a Triumph-class ship. Like the rest of the unit’s equipment, the ship is kept in good condition. The ship has been modified to have its ‘Mech cubicles converted into fighter bays, providing a modicum of protection; ironically, this means that the Carnivores’ BattleMechs must be carried as cargo.

Colours and Insignia
The Carnivores use a parade-ground scheme of bright red, with yellow, stripe-like markings on the limbs. Some of the ‘Mechs feature exaggerated teeth painted on their heads. The insignia of the carnivores is a stylised, saber-toothed tiger head in profile.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #41 on: 31 January 2016, 08:32:50 »
Communications Tap File #75228-Rho (extract)

Galatea City, Galatea; 1015 hr

Voice 1 (Male; 40s; no discernable accent, native English speaker): I’m trailing the Snake (NOTE: Takahashi Oda) now.

Voice 2 (Female; 50s; accent suggests Capellan March or Taurian): Well keep on him then. I want to know what they’re up to.

Voice 1: Find weaknesses, know your enemies and all that. I know. It’s what you pay me for.

Voice 2: Then quit the backtalk and keep on it. I ain’t paying you to tell me what yer doing. I’m paying you to do it.

Voice 1: (inaudible)

Voice 2: What was that?

Voice 1: Still tailing the snake. I’ll let you know when I have more.

(tap pause)

Voice 1: He’s entered the Combine embassy now.

Voice 2: Figures that a snake would go there. Try an’ get us some details.

(tap pause)

Voice 1: It appears that he’s gone to see the cultural attaché

Voice 2: Which is usually the local head spook.

Voice 1: Exactly. And in my experience, the main reason for someone to be meeting them would be as an intelligence contact themselves. Someone who's just come back from a combat campaign would have a lot to talk about, after all

Voice 2: You think our snake’s a spook too?

Voice 1: He could just be having an elaborate tea ceremony and talking about local sports teams.

Voice 2: Yer a ball of laughs, ain’t ya? Keep an eye out fer when he emerges, already. If he’s up to something, then I want to know exactly what and how I can use it.

Voice 1: That’s not going to be easy. If he is a spook, then he’s also going to be ready. I’m already sticking my neck out a lot for this.

Voice 2: Fine. Y’all get me something really good, then I’ll throw down a bonus.

Voice 1: You’re on. Consider him tailed.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #42 on: 31 January 2016, 08:34:12 »

So it turns out that what we hit on Keystone was deliberately targeted. The branches of the Earthworks factory we hit, as well as the people and stuff they took, were specifically concerned with the production of the Tomahawk II. I can understand why; Earthworks can use it as a way of getting around legal boundaries and boost their capacity to make Clantech. And anything that means there’s less of those monsters stomping around is fine by me.

On the other hand, I have mixed feelings about the newest contract. A part of me doesn’t like it, especially the thought of getting involved in a planetary civil war. They’re really pretty, but at least unlike with Hamilton, the dividing lines are pretty well defined and we have a clear objective. This isn’t an insurgency with potential enemies everywhere, but rather a battle where we’re going to be facing stand-up fights with discernable enemy forces. Really, it’s a planetary assault, just a blue-on-blue one.

I can understand why the Lyrans want the Kamenez Archonette nipped in the bud. They have enough problem as it is without a renegade breakaway state forming right on the border with two hostile states. And while the Lyrans reputation has taken some severe blows recently (Okay, that’s an understatement. They left the Eridani Light Horse to die. There’s very little you can say to defend that) I’d sooner them then the Wolves. Also, the terms they gave us were generous.

By way of some assurance, Nikola looked into our liaison officer, Kommandant Angus Gillies. Amazingly enough, he’s actually a professional mercenary liaison, and earned his rank through experience. So at the very least, we’re not going to be taking orders from some noble fop who has no idea of how things work.

Unfortunately, there is one thing that I can’t do anything about, and that’s our operational partners. I don’t like the Liberty City Royals, and that’s all there is to it. I understand that the Lyrans are desperate and that they need this situation solved quickly, and that they’re not in a position to be too choosy about who they hire. It also doesn’t mean that they have to like it.

The Royals are thugs, plain and simple. They’re the sort of just-this-side-of-pirate scum that embody the worst of the Mercenary trade, and sadly have been far too common since the Blackout. With the MRBC virtually powerless and everyone in desperate need of warm bodies, it’s easy for shonky Mercs to find jobs and not only survive but also thrive in this new market. One has only to look at the ‘Outreach Revival’ movement and the sort of bottom-feeder units it attracted to see poof of this.

(I admit now, I’m glad that Outreach is behind the Wall, and we’ll never see some of the units that were based there again)

Yes, I might be letting my opinion be coloured by professional pride. I admit that much. However, at the same time, I don’t like the idea of working alongside a unit made up of criminals, thugs and desperados. You can look at groups like Bannson’s Raiders or the sort of trash that wound up working for the Word to get a good idea why.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #43 on: 31 January 2016, 08:36:57 »
Liberty City Royals

MRBC Update 01-01-3145

(This report is a little out of date. I've done some digging and managed to update it where possible - Nikola)

History
Even by the often strange standards of the Mercenary trade, the Liberty City Royals have an unusual origin. The Royals were originally a gang in Dronane, the capital city of Liberty, who had risen to prominence after a bloody turf war that had decimated their rivals. It also prompted a harsh crackdown by the authorities, one that the Royals managed to evade. As police swooped on their hideouts, the Royals were leaving the world with most of their wealth, having apparently been tipped off and having plenty of time to prepare.

The group vanished before re-emerging several months after the Blackout as a small mercenary unit. Initially composed mostly of IndustrialMechs and light vehicles, the Liberty City Royals (having retained their old name) found employment in the erupting conflicts in Prefectures III and IV. Several early successes (now believed to have been in the employ of Bannson's Raiders) allowed the unit to grow, adding BattleMechs and Battle Armour to its force. By 3136, the Royals had become a professional mercenary force, albeit one that retained its original gang "flavour".

Unexpectedly, the Royals disappeared for several months in late 3136 to early 3137, re-emerging with several internal changes to its command structure but no indication as to where they had been or the source of the apparent bloodletting. What was known was that several older members of the unit, dating from its original gang days, were no longer around, while others had been promoted in their place. While no explanations were offered (or forthcoming) the Royals returned to the mercenary market undeterred.

Over the next few years, the Royals worked for several different employers as raiders, obstinately for targeted attacks on specific objectives. In truth, the unit would often take on a pirate-like approach, engaging in broad looting wherever possible. While controversial, the Royals managed to consistently achieve results for their employers.

However, recent events have cost the Royals, both in terms of equipment and manpower, as well as their reputation. In late 3144, the Royals accepted a contract on Tybalt for the AFFS, using it as a base for possible raids against the Cappelan advance. Unexpectedly, once on-world, the Royals abandoned their post and moved towards the planetary capitol of Macbeth just as a CCAF raiding force hit the world. The Royals were caught in transit and mauled by the Cappelans before reinforcements arrived. In the aftermath, the damaged Royals were charged with breach of contract by the AFFS and dismissed from their contract, leaving them with a damaged reputation and a need to rebuild.

(Apparently the Royals did a round of pirate hunting for the Lyrans in an effort to beef up their exposed flank. This did net them a fair amount of salvage, as well as making them look good to the Lyrans. That might be why they landed this contract - Nikola)

Force Strength
The Royals are nominally a combined-arms battalion, although the unit is still recovering from its losses on Tybalt. Rebuilding has focused on the BattleMech assets, bringing King Company back up to full strength, but at the cost of their other units. Duke Company, made up of tanks, remains under strength, but has been helped by an influx of new recruits, while Baron Company’s battle armour assets are at half strength (which has the upside of reducing the burden on their depleted transport assets). The unit's aerospace and VTOL assets have also been rebuilt, but again suffer from a shortage of quality pilots.

(The Royals are equipped mostly with post-Jihad to modern 'Mechs, and have a little bit of Clantech scattered around - Nikola)

In addition the Royals employ several support units made up of conventional infantry and trucks that are used in their "raiding" operations, rather than for direct combat. These are backed up by a lance of SecurityMechs that are used to "enforce" their operations and add firepower for use against any local security units. Poorly trained and often made up of lowest-quality recruits and hopefuls from Galatea, these units are of only questionable combat value at best.

The Royals prefer brutal, close-quarters fighting, and many of their warriors have a marked preference for physical attacks. The unit is particularly capable in urban combat, their gang roots showing through in their exploitation of their surroundings.

Support
While the Royals have only ever had a mediocre technical support core, the unit's technicians have often worked with their "looting" teams to procure supplies and are expert scavengers. The damage suffered by the unit on Tybalt has also had the side effects of reducing the unit's overheads and maintenance requirements. As a consequence, the unit is well-off in terms of supplies and equipment as well as having surprisingly strong financial reserves.

(I'm looking into the source of those reserves. They bounced back surprisingly fast after Tybalt, and seem to have been able to splash around a bit of cash to keep themselves in shape - Nikola)

Transport
The Royals are equipped with a pair of dropships that currently suit all their reduced transport needs. The Halton Gardens is an ancient Union-class dropship that is in poor condition; while adequate to serve as a transport, its ability to defend itself is limited. Their second ship, the Intruder-Class Bohan, is similarly dubious; converted into a cargo ship after the Jihad, the ship has been crudely reverted back to its original use.

Colours and Insignia
The Royals’ insignia depicts a silhouetted city skyline with a superimposed coronet, although several variations of this design have been seen on different units. The unit’s ‘Mechs and vehicles are painted in the Royals’ old gang colours of green and white, with many of them sporting graffiti-like details. Some ‘Mechs have a gold “crown” on their heads; this is a reward for a member of the unit who has either scored five kills or performed exceptional duty for the unit.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #44 on: 31 January 2016, 08:39:08 »
Journal Extract #75291-Rho

(Some of my targets aren’t that good at securing their personal noteputers, which means we can find the occasional tidbit. I think the following extract could be useful to us in a number of different ways)

Look, I ain't got nothing against Ronnie. I mean, he’s my baby bro (well half-brother) and I love him and all but he's also just a total pain in the ass some days.

He’s been making a real stink about this whole 'Mech thing for a while now, but it's really been a stick up his butt since our last mission. Ronnie’s recon lance got themselves into a whole world of trouble, and Ronnie's Cadaver went and got itself hobbled. They were trying to get away, but the fact was that he was now the slowest of them and dragging behind the rest of the lance. (I'm also gonna be kind and not repeat what he was saying on the comms, 'cause it ain't gonna help his rep none)

So he was in trouble and my Lance came and bailed him out. Hell, I even bagged the 'Mech what was riding his tail myself. (One Clanner Peeper to the face fixes a lotta troubles, trust me). Does he thank me? Hells no. Instead he runs straight to his daddy and complains about how he wouldn't have been in that situation if he had a better 'Mech, and by that he specifically meant my Wammer. Big Ron was on his side too, but mom managed to defuse things a bit. Problem solved, right?

'Cept instead, first thing we do when we get back to Galatea is he offers to buy me lunch at Tharonjas. Sure, I ain't gonna argue 'cause I like bacon and all, and he's paying, so it’s even better.  But turns out he was trying to butter me up to 'suggest' that it’d be better for the whole unit if we was to swap 'Mechs. I was all "um, no" and so he goes and loses it at me in the middle of the place. I swear, the whole place was looking at us, and my face was as red as my hair.

See, the thing is this. Like I said, I love Ronnie even though he's a total ass some times, but he's also a crap MechWarrior. Ain't no way to say it nicely neither. I mean I know I got a couple of years’ experience on him, but the fact is he's just no good at it. Watching him learn was painful to beold, and I swear he only got through 'cause Big Ron payed off his instructors or something. Giving him an assault 'Mech like my Wammy would be a waste of a perfectly good 'Mech. And on top of that, he ain't even that good in a fight, so putting him in reccy where his main job is to spot something and then get the hell out makes more sense.

He's only commander of the Reccy lance 'cause Mom and Big Ron are the unit's bosses. (I mean, yeah, thatls prolly why I got the assault lance fresh out of training, but hells, fact is I was actually, yanno, good at it) Me, I think he woulda been better as a tanker like his pa, but I think Mom wanted him to be a MechWarrior. Hell, when we were kids, it was all he wanted too.

So yeah. Ronnie, I love ya lots, but you really push your luck some days.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #45 on: 02 March 2016, 06:39:15 »
LIC Communications Intercept 6422-543-B/Kamenez

Voice 1 [Major Conner Carson, 98% match]: All units, pull back. We're abandoning the spaceport.

Voice 2 [Colonel Helga Strakken, 93% match]: Nein, Major! I forbid you to abandon the port! It is vital to us!

Carson: Listen lady-

Strakken: Colonel!

Carson: Colonel lady, in case you didn't notice, we're getting hammered out there. My men are dying and so are yours. We've lost four 'Mechs and you're down at least a dozen tanks, if not more? We've hammered a few 'Mechs and have one of them down-

Strakken: Two down, Major

Carson: Whatever; it doesn't make any difference. In case your strudel-addled brain didn’t notice, there’s a second, fresh load of them dropping on us now. I'm not going to keep fighting a losing battle and get more of my people killed.

Strakken: How dare you speak to me like that, Mercenary! Follow my orders and hold the port!

Carson: If you have a problem with my actions or my language, then take it up with the Landgrave [Karl Pelzer]. In the meantime, I'm pulling back and preserving our forces. We might lose the spaceport, Colonel, but we can at least preserve our men and maybe have a chance of taking it back later. Getting everyone killed now archives nothing.

Strakken: Gott in himmel, they are going to take your ship, Major!

Carson: And we can take it back when we reclaim the port, Colonel, something we can't do if we get ourselves killed fighting a losing battle!

Strakken: Fine, then, pull your verdammit forces back! But mark my words, Major, the Landgrave will not look kindly on your actions.

Carson: I don't care what he thinks of me. If he wants my men to keep fighting for his revolution, then he'll keep paying us. Out.

[Transcript pause]

Carson: You hear all that?

Voice 3 [Major Markus Isling, 77% match]: I did.

Carson: Thoughts?

Isling: Besides the fact that Helga's a typical over-bred Elsie moron who got her rank without working for it?

Carson: Well yeah, besides that.

Isling: Don't worry, Conner. I'm on your side here and will back you up all the way. You did the right thing there.

Carson: So what can we do about it?

Isling: Short term, pull back to one of our fallbacks. I'll get my men out to cause enough distractions to keep them off your back a while.

Carson: I feel that I'm better off not knowing

Isling: Let's just say the recent drought conditions work to my advantage.

Carson: And after that? We're facing two merc units, and you know that the Elsies aren't going to do their share of the heavy lifting. Trust me, the Light Guards were worthless at the spaceport.

Isling: I have an idea. I heard enough comms chatter to get an ID on the two units we're facing. Give me a bit to work it, but I think I have this.

Carson: Will it get me the Apex back?

Isling: With interest.

Carson: Now you're talking.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #46 on: 02 March 2016, 06:41:47 »

Reading her journals, it's pretty clear that Sel Magyari had a number of skills as a commander, and luck was one of the ones that featured prominently in her career. As much as I want to give her skills as a leader and a MechWarrior credit, it does seem that she managed to achieve a lot through sheer dumb luck.

After today, I'm really wondering if it might not have been a hereditary trait.

The Kamenez campaign started with a drop on the Saxony spaceport, one of the rebellion's key assets. On the ground were elements of both the Leipzig Light Guards, a local armour regiment, and Carson's Carnivores, one of the two merc units that are known to be in their employ.

Things got off to a bad start when the Royals' dropship suffered a 'mechanical failure' that delayed their drop, leaving our men on the ground numbered and facing a swarm of hostiles. The Assault Lance got it the worst, being rushed by two lances of Carson's 'Mechs as well as on-site armour.

And despite being outnumbered, they managed to hold their own. Nikola got very lucky straight out, putting a Silver Bullet Gauss shard through the cockpit of an otherwise undamaged Night Stalker (So much for your supposed extra protection!) and then nearly crippling Major Carson's 'Mech straight out. Apparently he likes to lead quite literally from the front in a TSM-equipped Ostsol no less. Not sure if it's the best choice for a commander, but if it works for him, who am I to judge?

Unfortunately, the rest of the Carnivores were not happy with his nearly taking out their commander, and chose to focus their fire on his Carronade. By the time they were done, they'd nearly stripped it of armour. However, again I bring up luck, as despite being near-naked, the 'Mech was still fully functional and able to dish out considerable punishment in reply.

My lance did a little better; we dropped into a mess of heavy tanks from the Light Guard (Apparently they'd bought a bunch of old Manticores), which turned into a slugging match when our support from the Royals failed to show. Lamont's Shockwave went down with a wrecked leg, but we managed to hold out and take down a number of them before they chose to back off.

Peril lance wound up in a running fight with Carson's recon lance, having managed to basically leave the light guard tanks behind. Zeek's Ostscout was taken out by a Carnivore Wolfhoud, but Bruce and Will between them nearly bought down a Cronus in reply.

Whatever problems the Royals were having managed to correct themselves in time for their 'Mechs to drop into the battle, turning things in our favour. Save for a single Crusader who botched one of his legs on landing, none of the Royals took any significant damage while managing to drive the Carnivores off.

When you consider we lost one 'Mech, have two more needing major repairs and numerous injured, the Royals don't exactly come off in a good light. While the supposed 'mechanical failure' does make sense (their dropship is basically a flying wreck) it's easy to see it as their deliberately delaying their drop so we'ld take all the damage and they'd get to mop up afterwards. Wen you look at their reputation, it'ls not a hard conclusion to reach.

We did come out ahead. They lost four 'Mechs and escaped with several others badly damaged. We salvaged their losses, including the aforesaid Night Stalker and a Pixie that needs a new leg but is otherwise good. On the other hand, the Argus is good only for junk (both its LRM and Autocannon ammo set off, killing the pilot and gutting the 'Mech) and the Grasshopper isn't too much better. More importantly, we got the Carnivores' dropship and a good amount of their supplies. Hopefully, we can use those as a bargaining tool to try and force their surrender.

I’ve spoken to Kommandant Gilles, requesting that we be given a break to recoup and repair, especially in light of the number of injured we have. By all reports, the Carnivores and the light guard have gone to ground, and are scattered across the countryside, which gives us a break. The Royals can do the hard work of chasing them down for now. I think it's fair given that we did the hard work at the port.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #47 on: 02 March 2016, 06:43:16 »
From the personal journal of Eckart Stein

As expected, Magyari wasn't too happy about our delayed drop, but she accepted the reality of the situation. Even though the Halton Gardens is a wreck, it has its uses from time to time; even then, I do want to replace it, and do need to get Royale focused on that goal rather then wasting our money on fast cars, luxury apartments that we never use and the like. On the other hand, we do have a good potential replacement available to us.

Some days it's nice how things line up.

Speaking of things lining up, Zhen is an interesting case, albeit a little frustrating. He’s definitely not that open about his past, which is exactly what I'd expect. However, but he's also a lot less willing to play ball then somebody in his situation would be, which was unexpected. A part of me thinks he's just being stupid, which wouldn’t be a complete surprise given what he used to do and who he used to work for. On the other hand, it could be that he's genuinely loyal to the Irregulars, which is unexpected.

Loyal people are the worst ones to deal with.

Clearly I ticked him off, something that was pretty clear by his rather belligerent reply to my negotiations. It's also likely no coincidence that Kardos and Georges came around asking questions shortly afterwards. Fortunately, this is one case where we actually have nothing to hide and that the general stupidity of my employees is actually a benefit (I have no doubt that they mentioned the Goat Licker in reply to their enquiries), which hopefully will discourage further enquiries.

Things are going well in the field too. Magyari's in essence forcing us to shoulder the bulk of the work does play nicely to our advantage. We’ve had isolated, fleeting contacts with the locals and their mercenary allies, but nothing that has resulted in a solid, stand-up fight as yet. And while Magyari's air cavalry has been 'assisting’ us, they've had nothing to report either. This has been helped by Dernko's obvious distaste at working with our people, something I'll have to look in to further. It could be useful.

The biggest problem will come when Magayri's forces take to the field. Thing will have to be handled carefully.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #48 on: 02 March 2016, 06:45:30 »
From the O5P archives

[I managed to source this from the O5P. While it's over a decade old, there's still some interesting information in here. I'm also forming some conclusions about the significance of this individual to Zhen, and why Stein might bring them up]

Gertz, Joaquim
Date of Birth: 14/04/3110
Homeworld: Van Deimen IV, Republic of the Sphere
Affiliation: Bannson’s Raiders

Background:
Born in the Republic, Joaquim grew up wanting to become a Mercenary MechWarrior, something of an oddity in an age of peace. Having apparently developed something of a romanticised image of the trade (possibly from a steady diet of bad fiction), Joaquim wanted a part of that lifestyle. The fact that he had no military background, no training (save for two years piloting an AgroMech), no experience, no BattleMech of his own and that the mercenary trade was at its lowest ebb at the time didn’t even begin to factor into his goals.

Arriving on Galatea, Joaquim failed to make an impression or win a spot with a unit beyond as filler infantry. For him, the Blackout actually came as something of a boon, as Joaquim was found and snapped up by Bannson’s recruiters. His dream of the prestige and glory of being a MechWarrior, as well as his marginal qualifications saw him assigned to Wyld’s Jokers, where he would, at best, be no worse then anyone else in the unit.

Despite the Jokers’ poor reputation and lack of skill, Joaquim himself has pride in what he does and his position. For him, being an officer and a MechWarrior in a mercenary unit, no matter how questionable it may actually be, is living his life-long dream. However, for Joaquim, reality may catch up with him hard.

Serial Number: RS765-21D
Chassis: Corean-II Deluxe Endo Steel
Power Plant: Hermes 250 XL
Cruising Speed: 54 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86 km/h
Jump Jets: None
                Jump Capacity: None
Armour: Starshield
Armament:
                1 Martell Large X-Pulse Laser
                1 Zeus LRM-10
                1 Imperator Rotary Autocannon/5
Communications System: Corean Transband-J9
Targeting and Tracking System: Corean B-Tech

Developed in the aftermath of the Jihad, the Shockwave was created both for the military of the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth, as well as for export. Designed as a medium trooper ‘Mech, the Shockwave was a success, attracting sales from across the Inner Sphere due to its combination of firepower, mobility and flexibility.

A higher-end variant of the Shockwave, serial RS765-21D was purchased by the Republic of the Sphere for use in the then-newly minted Republic Armed Forces. Over the next few decades it was shuffled between different units, before eventually ending up in the Prefecture IV Militia. How exactly it came to be in Jacob Bannson’s hands remains unclear, but it is possible that the ‘Mech was stolen in the aftermath of the Blackout.

For the last couple of years, the ‘Mech has been assigned to Joaquim Gertz, who seems to have actually developed a little talent to match his lofty ambitions. While he seems to inevitably run the BattleMech hot, so far his tactics have proven to be passably successful, or at least enough to keep him and ‘Thunderbucket’ (as he calls the ‘Mech) intact. However, at the same time, he has also made it clear that he is destined for something better.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #49 on: 02 March 2016, 06:46:34 »
The battle for Komephoros, 3137-3138

Komephoros, like many of the worlds of the former Prefecture IX, was in a precarious situation by early 3137. Abandoned by the Republic, it was dangerously close to the Falcon Desant, leaving its leaders worried that their world might be the next to face the Falcon’s talons. The result was that it became one of the worlds within the former prefecture that joined the mutual defense coalition headed by Jasek Kelswa-Steiner’s Stomhammers.

However, matters changed for the worse in mid-3137 as the Wolf Clan began their invasion of the former Republic. While Komephoros was outside the thrust of their initial invasion, the world’s leaders suddenly became rather worried by their new situation. With the Wolves on one side and the Falcons on the other, they felt that an invasion of their world by either clan was inevitable. Or, even worse, that it might become a battleground for the two Clans.

With their planetary guard depleted (ironically by defections to the Stormhammers), the Komephoros leadership turned to hiring mercenaries to supplement their forces and provide some degree of protection. The government went on something of a spending spree, hiring up mercenaries as fast as it could, even if many of them were dubious units of questionable quality. Their hope was that they might serve as a discouragement to clan invasion, or at the very least serve to slow down one should it occur.

Instead, the Wolves suddenly vanished from the Prefecture, leaving the worlds they had conquered behind as rapidly as they had taken them. While many braced for their return, after several months it became clear that the Wolves had simply vanished. This left the Komephoros government in a position of having to deal with a pile of mercenary units that it no longer had a use for, hired to protect against an invasion that would never come.

Choosing to cut their losses, the government chose to terminate the bulk of the contracts, paying out only the bare minimum needed and citing that none of the units they had hired had seen actual combat. The result was unpopular, as many of those units had been hanging out for their full payment promised, regardless of if they had seen battle or not. Things reached breaking point when several units refused the termination, preferring instead to stay for the duration and hope for their full pay-outs.

This dispute quickly escalated, with several units openly going rouge and threatening the planetary government with attack if they were not paid. Several skirmishes broke out between the renegade units  and the planetary guard, while the Komephoros government tried to get several of the fence-sitting mercenaries to side with them against the renegades, ironically promising them new contracts with higher rates of pay for doing such.

The result was several months of confused, back and forth fighting between different mercenary units and the planetary guard. Constant changes of allegiance and defections not only from one side to another but within actual units served only to further muddy lines and make the situation even more unclear. Opportunistic commanders would often switch sides depending on who they saw as giving them a better offer or as an attempt to extort more money from the government.

The fighting mostly burned itself out by early 3138, with few units left functional on either side. Many of those came out at net losses, having pushed things past the point where they would have gained anything. Several of the pro-government units, however, made out well on salvage from the fallen and managing to have contract pay-outs at the end. A few units went rogue, however, surviving as bandits for the next few years. The last of them were brutally hunted down and exterminated by the Ghost bears after Komephoros joined the Raslhauge Dominon in 3144.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #50 on: 02 March 2016, 19:54:44 »
I've been following your Magyari's Irrequlars exploits.

Question:  I assume Irisz Magayri is a beady Left Eyed  “Invisible Space Fairy" on purpose?

Why?

TT
* snicker *
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #51 on: 04 March 2016, 00:07:22 »
I've been following your Magyari's Irrequlars exploits.

Question:  I assume Irisz Magayri is a beady Left Eyed  “Invisible Space Fairy" on purpose?

Why?

TT
* snicker *

Do you want the OOC or IC answer?

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 04 March 2016, 01:48:55 »
Do you want the OOC or IC answer?

Both now!
Also - that Black Knight you're now featuring as an avatar? What's the significance of it? A new unit? And ole foe?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #53 on: 05 March 2016, 04:28:50 »
The Black Knight in my avi was my character's 'Mech from another game. The personal text was her signature quote, which was directed at one of the other PCs.

So the answers. The OOC one is related to the campaign's development. At the time, we were still bashing around ideas, and I hadn't yet decided to connect it to the prior MW2 game. Since we use Lego Minifgs for PCs and NPCs, I was going through parts I had on hand, and kludged together this badarse-looking one-eyed woman (Using a Lego Pirate girl head) wearing a black flightsuit thing. That Minifig became the at that stage unnamed commander of the unit.

IC? That's still to be revealed. I've joked that there's no definitive point at which you can say that Irisz had two eyes. In my mind, any flashback of her has her right eye obscured (hairstyle, sunglasses, etc) in some way that makes it unclear if it's there or not. It's actually a bit of a fun joke in the group

As a side note, Irisz has been an active MechWarrior since the early 3130s. And yet, she can't have been piloting her Mad Cat Mk IV since any earlier then 3137. I still haven't figured what she used beofre then
« Last Edit: 05 March 2016, 04:31:58 by Deadborder »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 05 March 2016, 04:44:11 »
<snip>
As a side note, Irisz has been an active MechWarrior since the early 3130s. And yet, she can't have been piloting her Mad Cat Mk IV since any earlier then 3137. I still haven't figured what she used beofre then
Howzabout a Quasit  ;D  O0
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #55 on: 07 March 2016, 06:50:24 »
From the personal journal of Doctor Hadrian Cartwright

All the training and experience in the world cannot prepare you for the completely unexpected. But they can serve to put you in a good position to take advantage of what comes with it.

When the Royals decided to turn on us and the Lyrans for whatever reason, I was unprepared, I admit. It wasn’t something I had considered would happen; after all, they were pretty horrible people, but such an extreme (and potentially career-limiting) move would be normally be. causa latet, vis est notissima and all that. However, it was not surprised when I was one of the few that they did not immediately detain. I had clearly already proven to be useful to them, and locking me up would be counter to that value.

Asking me to impersonate the ship captain was an… odd move on their part, true. But then, with Royale away, it is clear that the average intelligence of the Royals as a whole drops considerably (As their need for my skills would attest). I used the opportunity to warn Magyari of what had happened; despite any short-term gain, I had no desire to remain in the Royals employ, especially not once the other sandal dropped. ut incepit fidelis sic permanent. Besides, banditry is such an unbecoming profession.

I was not sure how she would handle the situation. I didn’t know the overall battlefield situation, though the fact that Stanley (She knows her vices, to my regret) had been sent out suggested that things were not going well. However, while remote but still audible, the gunfire and explosions told me that she had sent someone. I should not have been surprised when I encountered the fugitive MechWarriors of the assault lance, as the four of them do seem to be inclined to get into trouble.

Oda was in poor shape, having apparently been shot multiple times while trying to assault the detention facility. Three men with sidearms against a well-armed, dug-in force was not a good plan, and he seemed to have paid the price for it. While I was able to stabilise him and remove the bullets that were the cause of the malady, he will still need many weeks of recuperation before he is effective. However, I was interrupted on a more professional basis, as my medical skills were needed to deal with several injured Royals troopers, victims of the aforesaid attack. My medical training advised me that one of them was dead, with the likely cause being their bisection with a vibrokatana.

However, this situation did also present an opportunity to free ourselves from our captors and liberate at least one of our vessels. I was able to concoct a little mix that would simulate the outbreak of a most insidious local disease. primum non nocere is all well and good, and technically what I was doing was mostly harmless, after all. Once Kardos and Zhen had introduced it into their food supply, it was but a matter of moments before the first cases came to my office.

(I would be remiss if I didn’t mention doctor Pato, the Royal’s so-called chief medical officer. His sheer ineptitude was a part of what made my freedom so needed to them. His qualification to practice medicine would be well covered as a case of credo quia absurdum est!)

Having ‘diagnosed’ the cause of the outbreak, we then informed the Royals that the biggest single problem would be the detention centre. After all, a huge pile of sick people in a confined space would be prime breeding grounds for such disease, and thus it would be necessary for me to inspect and inoculate them in an effort to nip this in the bud. Having never once considered timeo Danaos et dona ferentes, the Royals agreed. And so, myself, Kardos, Georges and Zhen staged a mass escape with the aid of some explosives they had acquired.

From there, all it took was a mad dash to freedom across the tarmac, added by Zhen’s ad-hoc anti-Mech tactics. Clearly the man knows his way around explosives and the best way to use them on an enemy ‘Mech, as the pilot of a Royal Copper found out to his considerable detriment. Within moments, we had (re)captured the Trutzburg and were boosting away in order to rendezvous with the rest of the Irregulars. Freedom is a glorious thing.

Except that we also, in our haste, left Oda behind in my sickbay. Oh well, velocius quam asparagi coquantur indeed!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #56 on: 07 March 2016, 06:56:00 »

Straight off the bat, I’ll say that I have no idea what prompted the Royals to turn on the Lyrans and, by extension, us. I have no idea why they would seize the spaceport and take them and our support staff prisoner. Unfortunately, the timing of it was far too good for this to be a random, spontaneous act.

Takahashi’s assault lance had just fended off an ambush that, while unsuccessful, had also done a good job of damaging their ‘Mechs and slowing our forces. I had to dispatch Stanley and a number of our support units to meet them, both to effect repairs and collect salvage. The result was a thinning of our personnel back at the spaceport, something that the Royals seemed to be well-prepared for. And then everything happens at once.

First thing we lose contact with the spaceport; both our ships and the Lyrans, which is never a good start. Then, far too conveniently to be just a coincidence, we receive reports of a thick bushfire front moving south towards us, kicking up massive clouds of black smoke – the sort of thing that could easily be used to cover an advance. (And given that we were dealing with a unit called the Incinerators who specialise in setting things on fire, it was a given that they were doing just that). We have a hostile force ahead of us and no idea of what's behind, which puts us in a bad place.

Sending the assault lance crew in on foot was a risk, but I was low on choices. true, they have a reputation for getting results by unconventional means (and some interesting skills to say the least), and with their 'Mechs messed up, they were more useful there then on the battlefield. I didn't have the troops to spare otherwise either, which meant that I wasin one of those "no good answers" situations.

It seems to have worked out for them, even if some of how they got there is a little questionable, to say the least. We got back one of our ships and most of both our people and the Lyrans. While that leaves the Royals holding the base, the Duchess, the Snipers, a good chunk of our supplies and Takahashi, it's still a win. I only pray that he's okay; what Cartwright told me didn't sound good for him, and leaving him at the mercy of the Royals is not a situation I'm happy with.

Of course, all this beggars the question as to why they did it, and what they hoped to gain by turning on the Lyrans (and, by extension, us). We don't know if they’ve thrown in with the rebels or gone rogue or what, but the weight of the evidence is leaning towards the former. I can only assume that they were offered some massive pay-off or inducement along the way, given that they have a lot to lose from all this. I really wish Charlie was here. He would have seen what was coming, or at the very least, had some inkling that something wasn't right

Even though the MRBC's powers to enforce are at an all-time low (rumours of the Roughriders dispensing vigilante justice to renegade units notwithstanding), an act like this is hard to justify before a tribunal. Maybe they were hoping to swing the evidence by eliminating us and the Lyrans and then making up a story along the way. And while at the moment the Lyrans are low on friends in the MRBC, they're still a major power and have a lot of influence, especially in the arms market. We may not like them, but we do need what they want.

What I gathered from Cartwright and the others suggested no overt malice on their part towards our people. This seemed to be more of a 'just doing our job' thing then anything else, but that also could be skewed by the people they were dealing with. I don't know what Royale's attitude towards all this was; I admit that I tried to avoid dealing with him unless I had to, and it was hard to get a read on what exactly he thought of us. He plays the colourful thug well, but either he’s a lot smarter then he lets on, or there's something else going on.

Speaking of motivation, there's also the mystery of the Apex to consider. They clearly prioritised getting it airborne, but we don’t know who was at the controls or where it went, or if there was anything onboard. If the Royals sided with the rebellion, then delivering the Dropper back to the Carnivores could be a sign of good faith. Maybe they were promised that they could keep out ships as a part of their deal if they handed the Apex over. A Trutzburg is one hell of an upgrade over that flying deathtrap of a Union, after all.

My other worry is that this was somehow personal, and what they did was aimed at us as a unit rather than as some sort of military objective. Feuds have always been a part of the mercenary trade, and it’s hard to stop them. In a business where you get paid to shoot at other people, you tend to get a lot of machismo and a lot of posturing, and that can lead to bruised egos and “accidental” misinterpretations.

If it is, then I want to resolve here and now, before it spirals out of control. This is not something I want to have escalate and turn toxic and wind up drop into my granddaughter’s lap in fifty years. We have a past history of this sort of thing.

(And I thank god at least twice daily that one died seventy years back as well)

I’ll have Nikola look into it when he has the time. Right now, we have other concerns, like salvaging this mess.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #57 on: 07 March 2016, 06:56:52 »
The Outreach Revival Movement (3133 - 3135)

The So-called Outreach Revival was one of the unexpected side effects of the Blackout, and one who’s exact origins and purpose seemingly defies all reason. Scoured by the Word of Blake, Outreach had been left a desolate, irradiated and almost uninhabitable world by the end of the Jihad. The Republic's decision to keep the planet populated was less due to any strategic value of the world and more as a symbolic vicotry over the Word.

Abandoned by the MRBC, Outreach had become a largely forgotten backwater in the decades before the blackout. Its small, impoverished population, themselves the descendants of those who had survived the Jihad, clung to life in a handful of domed or subterranean cities. Living conditions on the planet were poor at best, with rampant poverty and crime adding to the grim conditions. The planet held nothing of any value, its wealth and place in the heart of the Mercenary trade but a distant memory.

However, something rather unexpected occurred on Outreach after the Blackout. As the mercenary trade entered a sudden boom after years of quiet decline, numerous units began to congregate on the world, even though it had no remaining connection to the mercenary trade. Many of these were smaller units, some as small as a single BattleMech, or ones that had only come into existence since the blackout. Others were disreputable or fringe units that were not registered with the MRBC, and were looking for opportunities that would not be otherwise available. Some of those had come from as far away as the Periphery, the trip itself a major investment.

While the original cause of this migration remained unclear, it seemed to have a desired result. By May of 3133, representatives from numerous worlds in the Republic were on-world, looking to bolster their defences against the growing chaos. Other powers began to set up shop as well, with the Oriente Protectorate and Marik-Stewart Commonwealth both having active recruiters on Outreach by January of 3134. While none of the great houses were represented, a range of employers had also made their presence known, ranging from individual worlds to planetary nobles, corporations or even other Mercenary units looking to bolster their strength through expanded recruitment. These included the various Republic splinter factions that had sprung up since the blackout, with the Swordsworn and (reportedly) Bannson's Raiders being particularly active.

The result was something of a boom for a world that had been all but dead for decades. The planetary economy grew dramatically, something that was all but unique at the time while its small (and dwindling) population increased with the influx of new traffic. As the size of the mercenary trade on Outreach grew, other connected businesses approached a world that had been otherwise ignored for decades, setting up shop to support the newfound trade.

While this trade was in open violation of the Republic's laws on the restrictions of Mercenary units and Outreach was perilously close to Terra, the Republic chose not to do anything about this trade. Given the challenges faced by the RAF at the time, the decision not to act was likely based on a pragmatic need to focus on the real threats and not start another conflict that they could ill-afford. Likewise, the brief occupation of Outreach by a Spirit Cat force (supported by a detachment of Wolf's Dragoons) in June 3133 did little to disrupt the trade. The Spirit Cats merely followed their unknowable agenda, leaving the rest of the world free to do whatever it wanted, regardless.

The only challenge to the Outreach Revival came with the declaration of Fortress Republic in September 3135. Outreach lay within the territory claimed by the Fortress, and those on-world had no idea what the future held. By that point, Outreach was home to at least fifty mercenary units of varying size and capability, and while not all of them were on-world at the time, there was an appreciable exodus of those not willing to be caught by whatever would happen next. Others chose to stay for whatever reason, being unwilling to abandon the opportunities that they had claimed or being simply unable to leave.

The final fate of Outreach and its revived mercenary trade remains a mystery, as with everything else that has happened within the walls of Fortress Republic. When the Walls went up, all contact with the world was lost. None of the units who were still on Outreach at the time have been seen since, and many have assumed that they were simply destroyed or otherwise forcibly disbanded. Those units who were outside the wall at the time have been forced to move on, often relocating to other hiring halls such as Galatea or Herotitus. For many, this also forced them to 'trade up', or 'go legit', including registering with the MRBC.

-From Mercenaries in the 32nd Century,  Galatea Free Press

(From what I've found, the Royals first appeared on Outreach as a part of this revival movement.  While information from that period is understandably hard to find, I think there could be something here that could explain why they turned on us and the Lyrans and us. Definitely worth investigating further -Nikola)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #58 on: 07 March 2016, 06:58:33 »
From the personal journal of Bruce Wolf

Not going to mince words here; the Royals were the biggest parts of stravag galahs I have ever met. I have met a lot of other mercenaries in my many jobs (Wolf, Bartender and everything else in between) and they were right dodgy even by normally right dodgy standards. I did not believe their story about a 'dropship malfunction' for one second. 'Dropship Malfunction' my arse! They were deliberately giving us the run-around so we would do all the hard work!

So when the bunch of bludgers took over our base, locking up our people and the Lyrans, I was not surprised. Such a dezgra action fits a bunch of bloody mongrels like them; I guess whatever the rebels offered them was worth more then their loyalty or any other cop like that. Of course, it also left us up a creek as we were cut off from our people, our ships and from our supplies, and with the rest of the rebels coming at us like a bunch of crazed numbats.

Fortunately, Irisz had a plan. She kept it on the quiet, which makes a lot of sense. We had been gipped once so far on this world, so not getting gipped again seemed like a good plan. But when our ship came back with our people, I could tell that the bloody Royals were going to get it.

And so comes the roundabout; we started this campaign with a drop on the spaceport, and what do you know, we did it again. We hit them like a bunch of drop-bears, getting the Royals unprepared while they were trying to fix themselves up from whatever Kardos and Doc Cartwright and the others did (going to admit, I probably do not want to know), hitting them hard and fast.

Peril Lance wound up tangling with some of their Vees, taking out a couple of Hovers as well as a Copper SecurityMech. We also got a bit of a run-around when they got the captured Carnivore Pixie and Night Stalker out and used them on us as well. The Stalker went down like a lightweight having his first real beer (I see it a lot) but the bloody Pixie got away.

The others did well too; Command Lance took out a bunch of tanks, including one of their high-ranking officers. Assault lance managed to cripple or destroy three of their 'Mechs, which was not too bloody bad either. Plus two of them are salvageable to boot, which means that we came out even on that front. On the upside, we managed to capture their two droppers. I think Dropship trading has become the gold standard for this campaign or something.

We still do not know where the rest of the bloody Royals got to. Most of them were off the base at the time, and seem to have gone to ground. What we do know is we bagged two of their top officers (both dead, unfortunately) and took their droppers and most of their supplies. So they copped it good and hard, leaving them how they left us. There's your turnabout for you!

So we have a drop port, our ships, captured ships and two 'Mechs we can put to use. We also have the Elises in command and rebels and Mercs lurking around us. In other words, right back where we bloody well started from.

But the worst of it? The bloody surats pillaged my bloody bar! It will take me forever to get it back in order, and there is no telling how much of it they just drank straight out!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #59 on: 07 March 2016, 07:02:59 »
LIC Interogation Log 6442-8-A/Kamenez

Leftenant Sofia Cruz, LIC: Let’s be straight here. We both know why you're here, so let’s not mess around by pretending to be nice to each other and get straight to the point.

Lieutenant Bruno Kazan, Liberty City Royals: Fine by me, sweet cheeks. These things get boring fast anyway.

Cruz: Kazan, we want to know why your unit turned on its employers. We want to know if you are in league with the rebels and, if so, how they made contact with you.

Kazan: Well let me see, babe. First up, I think it’s kind of obvious why we switched sides. We wanted to be onto a winning thing, and you Elises aren’t exactly it at the moment. You nearly lost Hesperus. You nearly lost Tharkad and you still have two clans in spitting distance of it.

Cruz: That's not exactly relevant

Kazan: Tell you what, why don't you move the capitol back to Arcturus? Oh wait, you lost that too.

Cruz: So what? You see a single world rebellion as being more viable then the entire Lyran State?

Kazan: Right now I see most things as more viable then the Lyran state, toots.

Cruz: Regardless, your unit's actions would be seen as criminal-

Kazan: And who’s going to do anything about it? The MRBC's got nothing left to it. It can't even act tough any more. After all, it lets scum like us keep going [laughs]. And besides, it’s not like you Lyrans have any friends at the moment after all the horse [expletive] you pulled in the last few years.

Cruz: Regardless, the Commonwealth is still a legitimate state, which is more then can be said for this rebellion.

Kazan: Legitimate or not, you guys have a bad reputation at the moment. Just ask the Light Horse... oh wait, you can't, they're dead thanks to you.

Cruz: So what is this, sort sort of petty act of revenge?

Kazan: [expletive] no! I thought they were a bunch of self-important [expletive]. But even then they didn't deserve to be [expletive] over by you guys. But that’s got nothing to do with this at all.

Cruz: So why did you do it? Why turn on the Commonwealth? Why put your lives and reputations on the line and risk losing everything?

Kazan: Now you're well over my head, babe. See, I may be a MechWarrior and king of all that, but I am but a humble lieutenant, a mid-sized cog in the machine. You know who you should ask instead?

Cruz: Who?

Kazan: Big Dick Ruttle. Now there's a right [expletive] for you. I mean, an infantry captain who actually thinks he's important? That's good for a laugh. You should ask him since he was in charge of rounding everyone up.

Cruz: Captain Ruttle was killed in the battle.

Kazan: Funny how that works out. In that case, what about Mark Gabby? He may be a tanker who graduated from selling dope to college kids, but he's our second, if you can buy that

Cruz: Captain Gabby was also killed in the battle

Kazan: Amazing. And I can guess that I'm the next highest-ranked person you actually got alive. Which means that I'm suddenly super-valuable to you too.

Cruz: So tell me why you did it.

Kazan: See, that’s the thing, sugartits. All I did was follow orders like a good little soldier after they were handed down to me. Didn't want to stir up [expletive] or anything like that.

Cruz: Weren’t you worried about the effects that this would have? Being branded a criminal and a renegade is just the start of it.

Kazan: Lady, after what I’ve been through, none of that worries me. Besides, we were given incentives in the form of the one thing mercenaries everywhere really like.

Cruz: So the rebels bought you off. It must have been quite an offer to make you switch sides

Kazan: They offered us primo salvage on the Irregulars, for starters. And a huge payout on top of that. Even sent us some samples to how that they were on the level. It was good [expletive] too.

Cruz: So that was it.

Kazan: Of course, if you want the full story, you probably want to speak to Major Royale himself. That is, if you don't kill him first.